It's A Boy for Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank: February 9, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Eugenie just posted a picture on Instagram of herself, Jack and wee August Philip Hawke https://www.instagram.com/p/CLgrGXhlpuK/?igshid=zjtdzgyyr2an

YES! I had a feeling they would go down the family route for a name- They each went back 5 times back, and one for Philip!- and that the overall name would be a mixture of old fashioned name and something a bit on the artistic (August is not a common name even for kids named after a month).

I have seen the name August shortened to Iggy and Gus as a nickname- but neither feel like something this couple would do.

Overall not a bad name at all!

It is since she mentioned it in her updated instagram stories post. I like the touch that she was named after Victoria so named her son after one of Prince Albert's names.

It's not a name I would chose but it clearly has meaning for them.

Oh that's great! Thank you for pointing it out to me :flowers:

For once I guessed something about a royal baby name correctly lol ;)

Apparently Haws is a Family name of the Brooksbanks and was asecond name of Jack's grandfather.

Which one? I was looking for the name in the various family trees (because there must be a link/meaning somewhere - and the Brooksbanks do use surnames as middle or even first names) but didn't come across the name.

According to the information I found Jack's paternal grandfather is:
Stamp Godfrey Brooksbank

And as name for his maternal grandfather, I find: Michael A F Newton, so neither includes 'Hawke'.

So apparently August is from Prince Albert's middle name Augustus, which is also the middle name of Lord Charles Bentinck, another great x5 grandfather of August (through Queen Mother).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Charles_Bentinck

Hawke is from Jack family, as Eugenie said, great x5 grandfather of August through Brooksbank family, Reverend Edward Hawke Brooksbank.

Reverend Edward Hawke Brooksbank

I like this name even more. It can be traced back to the ancestors subtly.

Last edited:
From Princess Eugenie’s Instagram story, August was named after his great grandfather (Philip) and great 5 times grandfather on both sides of his family (Hawke & August).

https://instagram.com/stories/prin...urce=ig_story_item_share&igshid=19gacgd4j6xgi

I wonder why they did not cite the great 6 times grandfather on the royal side of the family: Queen Victoria's father, Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent, who in contrast to Albert (who was always known as Albert, as far as I know) was actually known by the name.

I dont think that Edward teh Duke of Kent was called Augustus as he had brother called Augustus. He was Edward...

I wonder why they did not cite the great 6 times grandfather on the royal side of the family: Queen Victoria's father, Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent, who in contrast to Albert (who was always known as Albert, as far as I know) was actually known by the name.

Maybe because they actually got the inspiration from Prince Albert but not Prince Edward?

I dont think that Edward teh Duke of Kent was called Augustus as he had brother called Augustus. He was Edward...

I assumed he was called Edward Augustus as the Hanoverians habitually used double names.

I have seen the name August shortened to Iggy and Gus as a nickname- but neither feel like something this couple would do...

I would think more-so 'Augie,' or 'Gus.' And his parents don't have to do it. His schoolfriends most certainly will in one way or another. LOL ?

I love this York rose. It reminds me somewhat of Bea's engagement ring.

:yorkrose:

Maybe because they actually got the inspiration from Prince Albert but not Prince Edward?

Yes, and because of the symmetry on the Brooksbank-side of the family. It seems the really did their research and though things through.

Not always. A lot of Georges sons had the second name Augustus...

At least George III's brother, who was also christened Edward Augustus, was apparently called Prince Edward Augustus when he was granted his dukedom:

"Whitehall, April 1. The King has been pleased to grant unto His Majesty's dearly beloved Grandson Prince Edward Augustus, and to the Heirs Male of his Royal Highness, the Dignities of Duke of the Kingdom of Great Britain, and of Earl of the Kingdom of Ireland, by the Names, Stiles and Titles of Duke of York and of Albany in the said Kingdom of Great Britain, and of Earl of Ulster in the said Kingdom of Ireland" (London Gazette 9981, March 29, 1760).

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/prince_highness.htm

But on second thought, it seems probable that the other five times great-grandfather and namesake, Edward Hawke Brooksbank, was known as Edward and not Hawke, so a symmetry does exist.

Nice surprise! I would have never guessed August. In Portugal, August (which is Augusto) is actually a very old-fashioned name. I only met elderly people with either Augusto or Augusta.

I think the Queen probably thinks of another August, August Belmont. She's familiar with pedigrees and would know that August Belmont was a horse breeder and breeder of the most famous racehorse in history Man O'War. August was a popular name in the early 1900s.

Princess Eugenie's three days in the hospital was due to a Caesarean delivery, which was necessitated by her scoliosis (PEOPLE Magazine)

Surprising name - never would have expected August and definitely not Hawke - but I like it! It's very thoughtful and while it seems classical it also feels quite modern.

Nice surprise! I would have never guessed August. In Portugal, August (which is Augusto) is actually a very old-fashioned name. I only met elderly people with either Augusto or Augusta.

A brother of King D. Luís I had the name of Augusto, he was the Duke of Coimbra.
But yes, today it is a little used name.

Surprising name - never would have expected August and definitely not Hawke - but I like it! It's very thoughtful and while it seems classical it also feels quite modern.
I was surprised by the name but love August. My grandfather on mom's side was Karl August [always pronounced the German way] and many of his friends called him Al.

I love the name August, it is a favorite of mine since I was a child. Good choice

I recall Charles Lindbergh's middle name was Augustus.

I figure he will be Augie or Gus

Eugenie looks wonderful and what a beautiful baby! I'm very happy for them, but they look even more happy.

Back
Top Bottom