General Information & Questions on Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyger

Serene Highness
City
Los Angeles CA
Country
United States
There is an intense conversation taking place elsewhere regarding the choice of a princess' name - and it got me to thinking about Princess Beatrice. I recall when she was born and the name revealed there were some crinkled noses. It is certainly a very antique name - and I don't think having a princess bear the name has created an upswell in its popularity - but that's beside the point.

What I am wondering about is the diminutive of her name that is used amongst her intimate circle. I heard the diminutive used by her mother, Sarah, in Sarah's 'Finding Sarah' docu-drama series here in the US. In fact, I think an announcer prepared the audience for what it was going to hear because its so alarming.

I was appalled to find out that Princess Beatrice is referred to in an affectionate way in a manner that sounds dangerously close to 'B!tch' - I still don't understand how this sound is being derived from her name as a diminutive - but it is apparently the way she is referred to by her intimate circle - even her mother. :huh:

I've been meaning to ask ever since I heard it: can anyone explain this oddity?

Tyger said:
There is an intense conversation taking place elsewhere regarding the choice of a princess' name - and it got me to thinking about Princess Beatrice. I recall when she was born and the name revealed there were some crinkled noses. It is certainly a very antique name - and I don't think having a princess bear the name has created an upswell in its popularity - but that's beside the point.

What I am wondering about is the diminutive of her name that is used amongst her intimate circle. I heard the diminutive used by her mother, Sarah, in Sarah's 'Finding Sarah' docu-drama series here in the US. In fact, I think an announcer prepared the audience for what it was going to hear because its so alarming.

I was appalled to find out that Princess Beatrice is referred to in an affectionate way in a manner that sounds dangerously close to 'B!tch' - I still don't understand how this sound is being derived from her name as a diminutive - but it is apparently the way she is referred to by her intimate circle - even her mother. :huh:

I've been meaning to ask ever since I heard it: can anyone explain this oddity?

I thought I heard her referred to as Trix in that documentary. At least that is how I thought I heard it, and I remember thinking hmm interesting derivative of Beatrice. Now you will make me wonder if that is what I heard.

I am wondering whether it is the English accent that is the problem and that they are saying Beatrice in full but sounding the BEA as BI and the TRICE as TRIX which is sounding like B*TCH to American ears.

I am wondering whether it is the English accent that is the problem and that they are saying Beatrice in full but sounding the BEA as BI and the TRICE as TRIX which is sounding like B*TCH to American ears.

Thank you, Iluvbertie. I can tell you that it happens in the last episode when Sarah is having her heart-to-heart with Beatrice - and I have a memory of being prepared for the sound. Maybe even Sarah explains the diminutive? There seems to be a realization that it can be misheard or misundertsood. Jiminies, why use it then?

Not a 'T' but a 'B' begins the sound - 'Beach' would be maybe reasonable - but more like 'Beetch'.

Wish I could find a clip of the moment. Maybe it will show up on YouTube - though that's unlikely.

Last edited:
People with the name Beatrice, well the people I know, sometimes have the name Trixxie. I have no idea why since Beatrice is a beautiful name in it's own right. I pronounce it BE A TRICE, no swear word for me.

That's how I say it as well, with the "a" pronounced. In Italian, the "c" and "e" would be sounded out additionally, giving the name a lovely lilt.

Where I live, "Beatrice" is pronounced like Bee-triss, with the emphasis on the first syllable. Sometimes there's a slight "a" after the initial "bee" sound, but it's hardly noticeable.

I'm guessing she is named after Queen victoria's youngest daughter and it's pronounced: bee-ah-treese? But I don't understand the questions about her name.

I think the pronunciation would be: bee-ah-tris. That's how I pronounce it.

I've always pronounced it BEE-eh-tris, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

Grandduchess24 said:
I'm guessing she is named after Queen victoria's youngest daughter and it's pronounced: bee-ah-treese? But I don't understand the questions about her name.

Sarah did alot of research on Queen Victoria and Osborne house on the isle of wight (she edited a book on the subject ). I believe that is where she developed an affinity for Queen Victoria... And decided to name her daughter after her youngest. I have since heard recently (I think on this board) that Charles had 'reserved' Victoria as a name for his daughter, so it would lend itself as to where Beatrice came from.

My question is not about the full name pronunciation (I love the Italian pronunciation - like Jean Brodie!) but the diminutive Sarah used in the interview. It was one syllable and sounded like what I indicated. Its the diminutive I am questioning - sounded like 'B!tch', could have been some thing like 'Beetch'. I am asking anyone who knows what is the diminutive - and I'm wondering aloud why would someone use a diminutive that is so close to a female slur. That sums it up.

It may have to do with Sarah's potential regional accent when saying her daughters name.

I very sincerely doubt Sarah called her daughter anything close to the word "bitch." Sarah has issues yes, but come on.

I very sincerely doubt Sarah called her daughter anything close to the word "bitch." Sarah has issues yes, but come on.

Its not an argument. Even Sarah or an announcer prepared the audience for what they were going to hear - as I recall. Maybe it was in a news article? I definitely recall that the diminutive was talked about - and when I heard it, it was definitely jarring.

I should have asked at the time but didn't. Its just with all the name discussions recently, it came up again for me. What I am saying is that it sounded like 'B!tch' - not that it was, of course, not at all. I just want to know - from who does know or heard it, too - what was the diminutive Sarah was using?

Unfortunately I never saw the Finding Sarah documentary, but I remember that in the Duchess in Hull programme from a few years ago, Sarah called her "Trixie", so I imagine there’s a shorter form “Trix” that could sound like “b***h”, especially as Sarah does sometimes garble her words when she speaks fast. An alternative form of “Beatrice” is “Beatrix”, so I guess that’s where it comes from. However, I think from Sarah’s interviews and books that I’ve seen, the more common diminutive she uses is “Bea” (like “bee”).

The pronunciation of her full name is definitely BEE-ah-trice, with the stress on the first syllable – that’s how Sarah says it. On a similar subject, people are often unsure of how Eugenie’s name is pronounced. I’ve heard people say Eu-GEE-nie, which is wrong. As with her sister, the stress is on the first syllable – I remember Sarah saying in an interview that it should sound like “use your knees”. And her diminutive is always “Eug”, as far as I can tell.

One other point – Grandduchess24 is quite right to point out that Beatrice was named after Queen Victoria’s youngest daughter. Sarah mentioned once that they considered the name Octavia, because she was born on 8/8/88, but of course Beatrice has more resonance in terms of royal history (and it’s a nicer name, in my view anyway!).

Where do Princess Beatrice and Edo reside?

Back
Top Bottom