Future York Weddings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that only the sovereign had to be neutral; other members of the family were allowed to express political opinions?

^^^^
What is legal and what is acceptable are very different. For and HRH to express a partisan political opinion would not go over well at all.

titles after marriage?

Will Beatrice and Eugenie and their husbands receive titles when they get married? I'm thinking for example the Earl and Countess of snowdon? Will they get the Countess title and their husband the earl title or something else?

Last edited:
Saraheb said:
Will Beatrice and Eugenie and their husbands receive titles when they get married? I'm thinking for example the Earl and Countess of snowdon? Will they get the Countess title and hteir husband the earl title or something else?

I would not expect that at all.in fact I would be shocked if it did happen. The last BRF female consort who accepted a title was Princess Margaret's husband. Anne And Mark Phillips turned one down.... And i Don't believe it has been offered to any of the next generation (Lady Chatto, Zara)...while they were not princesses,it would still surprise me for that honor to be extended given the desire to limit the working royals. Offering a title would imply extending the care for another generation nd that seems contrary to the message being sent these days.

Will Beatrice and Eugenie and their husbands receive titles when they get married? I'm thinking for example the Earl and Countess of snowdon? Will they get the Countess title and their husband the earl title or something else?

Highly unlikely.
The husband of the Monarch's only daughter, Princess Anne, received no titles (even if that was Anne's choice). The Queen's granddaughters' husbands are unlikely to receive any, and if Charles is the King at the time, the chances are virtually non-existent. Of course, if something happened and Prince Andrew (and Beatrice by default) moved up in the succession line, that could well change.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't see it happening they are making the family smaller and there is no reason why any future husband should get a title. None of the other grandchildren have.

While I agree that Beatrice and Eugenies husbands won't be given titles, I wish they changed the inheritance for the duke of York title. It would be great if it went to Beatrice. It's been done with the Earl of Burma title for Lord Mountbattens daughter to inherit.

Meadow said:
I agree. I don't see it happening they are making the family smaller and there is no reason why any future husband should get a title. None of the other grandchildren have.

Why wouldn't Beatrice inherit her father's title when minor royals such as the Mountbatten of Burma title is inherited?

suztav said:
Why wouldn't Beatrice inherit her father's title when minor royals such as the Mountbatten of Burma title is inherited?

Letters Patent were created for Patricia Knatchbull to inherit her fathers title, she is not a minor royal. Inheritance of royal titles goes to the eldest son, no eldest son the title goes back to the crown.

If Beatrice & Dave Clarke's relationship remain strong, I think it's possible they will marry at some point. He already seems so comfortable with the family and they seem to have welcomed him with open arms.

When Lord Mountbatten was given his title he had two daughters with very little chance of a son so the LPs were created to allow the title to pass to his elder daughter and then revert to male inheritance. If all his male descendents from his elder die out then the title can pass to male-line descendents of his younger daughter but not to any other female descendents.

When Andrew, Edward and William, and even Lord Snowdon, were given their titles - like Philip - the LPs were the traditional 'heirs male of the body' and hence Beatrice can't inherit the York title but she can inherit the throne.

Louise can't inherit the Wessex title either - that will pass to James' line and the Cambridge title will pass to William's eldest son if he dies before becoming King, at which time the title would merge with the Crown.

While I agree that Beatrice and Eugenies husbands won't be given titles, I wish they changed the inheritance for the duke of York title. It would be great if it went to Beatrice. It's been done with the Earl of Burma title for Lord Mountbattens daughter to inherit.
I think it would be a pity if there wasn't to be a chance for a new royal Duke of York one day in the future, as it's been a royal ducal title for more than 600 years. There will not be any future royal dukes of Kent and Gloucester in the foreseeable future when the present HRH dukes dies, so I have to say that I'm glad that the title duke of York will be available one day for a younger son or grandson of William and Catherine.

Iluvbertie said:
When Lord Mountbatten was given his title he had two daughters with very little chance of a son so the LPs were created to allow the title to pass to his elder daughter and then revert to male inheritance. If all his male descendents from his elder die out then the title can pass to male-line descendents of his younger daughter but not to any other female descendents.

When Andrew, Edward and William, and even Lord Snowdon, were given their titles - like Philip - the LPs were the traditional 'heirs male of the body' and hence Beatrice can't inherit the York title but she can inherit the throne.

Louise can't inherit the Wessex title either - that will pass to James' line and the Cambridge title will pass to William's eldest son if he dies before becoming King, at which time the title would merge with the Crown.

I'm aware of all that you've written. But like letters patent were issues for lord Mountbattens daughter, couldn't the same be done for Beatrice? It passes to her and male heirs after that.

It could theoretically be possible for The Queen to reissue the title Duke of York with LPs allowing for the title to pass to Beatrice but that would also mean that if Andrew ever married again a woman young enough to give him a son that that son would inherit the York title as would Beatrice.

To actually change the LPs would take legislation and there is no reason for Parliament to waste its time on a matter like that.

Another thought- the queen offered an earldom to her cousins husband Sir Angus Ogilvy. Can she not offer her grand daughters husband an earldom?

I know it won't happen. I'm just fascinated with the whole title thing

I just hope whenever and whomever they marry Sarah should be in 'stable' mode during that time. Otherwise she may even sell off the wedding rights in some 'high' and create a huge mess..And later go cry in some ladies' show that some abuse by some nanny in childhood is causing her to do this now..

Princess B said:
Another thought- the queen offered an earldom to her cousins husband Sir Angus Ogilvy. Can she not offer her grand daughters husband an earldom?

I know it won't happen. I'm just fascinated with the whole title thing

She can offer an Earldom to anyone she likes, whether she's going to is a different matter. Beatrice and Eugenie look as if they'll never be fully fledged members, titles would be pointless.

No please...No earldoms or any titles to Beatrice and Eugenie. Let them live peacefully away from all this mess. And moreover, their position today is far more different from Pss Alexandra's at time of her wedding. Pss Alexandra, at that time was the only full-time working blood royal other than the Queen and the late Duke of Gloucester. Duke of Kent was in service,Michael and Richard are much young, and Margaret, you know..So even Parliament found it best to have her represent the Queen even abroad at Openings of Parliament, until Charles and Anne are ready.
Beatrice and Eugenie are never in that position. We already have hoardes of working royals who dont plan retirement until, maybe 90s..And space and public tolerance is shrinking..

Last edited:
Speaking of future York Weddings, I wonder what ever happened to the tiara Sarah wore for her wedding in '86'? Will the tiara be passed down to Beatrice & Eugenie?

Speaking of future York Weddings, I wonder what ever happened to the tiara Sarah wore for her wedding in '86'? Will the tiara be passed down to Beatrice & Eugenie?

There is no public information as to its whereabouts, but I suspect the next time we see it is when one of the York girls marries.

Oh okay. Thanks for letting me know, muriel.

I just hope whenever and whomever they marry Sarah should be in 'stable' mode during that time. Otherwise she may even sell off the wedding rights in some 'high' and create a huge mess..And later go cry in some ladies' show that some abuse by some nanny in childhood is causing her to do this now..

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It wouldn't surprise me if Beatrice and Dave Clark get engaged this Christmas.
They have been dating for six years, which is plenty of time to know if they wish to make a permanent committment.

I would not be surprised at all if the next engagement in the British Royal Family is that of Beatrice. In fact, I would be amazed if it doesn't happen within the next year. She and Dave make a cute couple, and he seems to be a decent, nice guy.

I would not be surprised at all if the next engagement in the British Royal Family is that of Beatrice. In fact, I would be amazed if it doesn't happen within the next year. She and Dave make a cute couple, and he seems to be a decent, nice guy.

I am sure they are a lovely couple, but she is still very young. IMO, she would do well to wait a but longer, and build a career for herself and marry in a few years.

Beatrice is 24, so not that young. If she and Dave had been dating for a year or two, I probably would have agreed it's too soon. But six years?
This said, Beatrice and Eugenie should marry only when they are ready, and not for any other reason, including a long courtship.

Last edited:
After all the drama in the 80s and 90s, I don't think any of this generation's 'young' royals will marry before they're ready.

Last edited:
Peter was 31, Zara 30 and William 29 when they married. but if I was Beatrice, , I would also want to get married while my grandparents are in good health. Not to mention - being married as the granddaughter of a monarch, rather than the niece.

Peter was 31, Zara 30 and William 29 when they married. but if I was Beatrice, , I would also want to get married while my grandparents are in good health. Not to mention - being married as the granddaughter of a monarch, rather than the niece.

Seems like a pretty shallow and silly reason to get married IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom