Eugenie and Jack: Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why there were complaints about the security costs. A two day wedding event for the ninth in line to the throne? If Eugenie were a future queen regnant I could see a big to-do but it seems like compensating for no live broadcast of the wedding ceremony. And the festival? It's a type of party a Hollywood A or B lister would do. I hope pictures aren't sold to the tabloids like they were to Peter and Autumn's wedding.

While it may very well be possible, we aren't sure that the ceremony won't be live broadcasted. In fact, most of the royal correspondents that have spoken on the subject think it will be. In the second episode of ITV's Royal Rota, Emily Nash said there will be cameras inside the chapel.

Wow it sounds like a huge wedding mmm not sure if it boarders on too over the top. I see finger prints of Andrew and Fergie over this.

I can see why there were complaints about the security costs. A two day wedding event for the ninth in line to the throne? If Eugenie were a future queen regnant I could see a big to-do but it seems like compensating for no live broadcast of the wedding ceremony. And the festival? It's a type of party a Hollywood A or B lister would do. I hope pictures aren't sold to the tabloids like they were to Peter and Autumn's wedding.

I don't think it has anything really to do with the monarchy in and of itself but its more in line with the Queen's granddaughter getting married and two proud parents striving to give their daughter the wedding of her dreams. Its not being planned with the general public in mind or celebrity status as a guideline but a wedding and festivities to celebrate Eugenie and Jack's marriage.

They are going to include the general public to a degree and it won't be surprising if "celebrities" are invited to attend the festivities because the York family knows them personally.

This wedding is being planned and executed according to how the bride and groom and their families wish it to be. No more, no less. From the article posted up thread a wee bit, even the Thames Valley Police department seem to be happily anticipating the event and will do a right proper job of what they're expected to do.

To me it sounds like the wedding Eugenie and Beatrice regularly attend on the Continent. A two-day afair seems to be the norm. And even more so when they have destination weddings, which I guess for many guests from abroad this will be one.
I don’t really care how many private parties they have since we don’t see any photos and they are privately paid.

I’m really curious to see the guest list, Eugenie has been to some high profile weddings over the years.

While it may very well be possible, we aren't sure that the ceremony won't be live broadcasted. In fact, most of the royal correspondents that have spoken on the subject think it will be. In the second episode of ITV's Royal Rota, Emily Nash said there will be cameras inside the chapel.

They implied more it would be streamed not aired on TV. That was the impression I got from watching it. I would like it to be on BBC though. Maybe they will work it out but I did notice how reluctant they were to say it would be aired live and they work for ITV and would know. I recall the Australian reporter saying it was not airing there.

Last edited:
Extravaganaza? Sounds like a Fergie word. I hope they have a happy marriage, not a big fancy wedding

I really wonder if it's just the 400, that are invited to the wedding dinner, are the only ones invited to the day after party?

What is the florist company that Jack's father own? Could this business do Eugenie's royal wedding flowers?

Jack’s father George is the director of a large London florist-Pulbrook & Gould.

Last edited:
To me it sounds like the wedding Eugenie and Beatrice regularly attend on the Continent. A two-day afair seems to be the norm.

A major reason for the 'two-day' affairs on the continent is that, in many countries, they have to have a civil ceremony and so have the religious ceremony the next day.

That isn't the British way at all.

The idea of a two day celebration really does show how out of touch with Britain and the British people Eugenie is where the norm is a one day event.

A 'destination wedding' is where the bride and groom have to go to a 'destination' as well - not one where some of the invitees have to go. This is a minor royal putting on a show as if she is somehow an important royal and not understanding that the world, and especially Britain, has moved on from the 1960s when every HRH had a televised ceremony. Even in the 1970s that had gone by the wayside. She is currently 9th in the line of succession. When the Duke of Gloucester married he was 10th - no thought of anything being televised then - the family had moved on but Andrew and his daughters are stuck in the days when the public bowed down to anyone with a title.

The Queen should be putting her foot down and saying 'no'. You can have St Georges and a reception but not two days and no carriage ride - you aren't important enough for that.

Allowing this extravagance isn't going to do the family any good at all.

Well, if she wanted a private wedding, I think she can have whatever she want and everyone else have no room to comment. However, when they added in a public component to it, I do think it adds public opinion, and not in a good way. There hasn't been much publicity related to this wedding at all, and the most media it gets is how much it'll cost the taxpayers, after that comes how extravagant it’ll be. Definitely not a good look. This wedding, if handled right, could've been a really good reflection on the York family, but I think it'll unfortunately just confirm the worst of what the public thinks of them based on the information we have so far. This is really unusual for the BRF.

Last edited:
I have no problem with a carriage ride or a big ceremony. So many people treat the York girls as hangers on but they're still 8th and 9th in line not 29th and the Queen's grandaughters. I don't mind the public involvement ballot either if people want to apply.

I guess if paid for with private money the 'extravaganza' is technically up to them but I definitely agree about the optics and press not ending up in their favour.

They are Princesses of the blood royal. It is their choice how to marry. It is not their choice to broadcast it or not. If the BBC can broadcast how poodles are brushed at Cruft's, they can broadcast a royal wedding too.

Can someone explain to me the issues of the reported Saturday event? It’s a private affair, on private land. I really don’t understand the issue with it.

I will also add that this is all hearsay and nothing is confirmed officially.

You only get married once, if The Queen isn’t saying no why should we?

Can someone explain to me the issues of the reported Saturday event? It’s a private affair, on private land. I really don’t understand the issue with it.

I have to agree with you. Firstly, the Saturday party is only heresay, there is no confirmation that it will indeed happy.

Secondly, if it is funded privately, why is it anybody else's business?

The optics are important.

There are many British people who don't understand how the BRF are funded and will see this as simply an extravagance with their money - thanks to the media and social media sites that peddle their misinformation about where the BRF's money comes from.

The PR is wrong.

If Eugenie was just the daughter of say the Duke of Westminster or Marlborough no one would care how extravagant she was but this is the BRF and they need to think about the PR and the way the public view things.

This wedding is seen as over the top by many in the media and thus the general public, even worse when it is one of the Yorks. It is like the huge numbers appearing on the balcony for Trooping - people believe they are all supported by the public purse because they don't understand how it works.

The BRF is being badly advised on this situation and regardless of how the wedding is being paid for they have to look at the optics and how that will go over.

A few months ago when certain details relating to Harry's wedding came out there were similar reactions. There will always be critics and defenders. In Eugenie's case, the defenders will say she is the granddaughter of the monarch and there is public interest in her, and the critics will say that she is too far down in the line of succession and not a working royal. In Harry's case, the were also cries of "needless extravagance," "optics" "not the heir" etc., and these criticism were defended as well.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but I think for the people who think that the BRF are a needless extravagance in and of themselves and / or the ones who dislike the Yorks and thinks this is just another one of their antics, yeah Eugenie's s wedding will become part of their arsenal, but overall I don't think that the BRF as a whole will suffer repercussions from the supposed excesses of Eugenie's wedding.

Last edited:
I have no problem with a carriage ride or a big ceremony. So many people treat the York girls as hangers on but they're still 8th and 9th in line not 29th and the Queen's grandaughters. I don't mind the public involvement ballot either if people want to apply.

I guess if paid for with private money the 'extravaganza' is technically up to them but I definitely agree about the optics and press not ending up in their favour.

Here is the thing, if it’s entirely private event, that’s a different story. However, when they add the public component to a wedding that has had very little general public interest and the taxpayer have to pick up a tab in the millions, the optics just get worse and worse.

A few months ago when certain details relating to Harry's wedding came out there were similar reactions. There will always be critics and defenders. In Eugenie's case, the defenders will say she is the granddaughter of the monarch and the critics will say that she is too far down in the line of succession and not a working royal. In Harry's case, the were also cries of "needless extravagance," "optics" "not the heir" etc. and these criticism were defended as well.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but I think for the people who think that the BRF are a needless extravagance in and of themselves and / or the ones who dislike the Yorks and thinks this is just another one of their antics, yeah Eugenie's s wedding will become part of their arsenal, but overall I don't think that the BRF as a whole will suffer repercussions from the supposed excesses of Eugenie's wedding.
The difference is Harry’s wedding drew cries from Republican groups like any other big royal event. But this goes a bit further with calls from MPs to have security cost picked up privately. Harry’s wedding was also about and toned down as a working royal’s wedding could get. And I think it is different when we are talking actual working royals versus non working royals. As much as some people like to differentiate, Eugenie is no different than the Phillips and Wessex children.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is Harry’s wedding drew cries from Republican groups like any other big royal event. But this goes a bit further with calls from MPs to have security cost picked up privately. Harry’s wedding was also about and toned down as a working royal’s wedding could get. And I think it is different when we are talking actual working royals versus non working royals. As much as some people like to differentiate, Eugenie is no different than the Phillips and Wessex children.

While I did not use the term republican groups, I did acknowledge that there are people out there who criticize anything BRF related. Of that ilk, I don't know why more credence should be given to those who criticize Eugenie's wedding than those who criticized Harry's wedding, other royal weddings, jubilees, key birthday celebrations, etc.

IMO the public component of Eugenie's wedding is not markedly different that the Phillips' weddings.

P.S.
I edited my comment to add in that there is public interest in Eugenie before I read your comment stating that there is little public interest in Eugenie. I disagree with that and while there may not be the same level of public interest in Eugenie as there is in William and Harry, there is public interest in her.

Last edited:
While I did not use the term republican groups, I did acknowledge that there are people out there who criticize anything BRF related. I don't know why more credence should be given to those who criticize Eugenie's wedding than those who criticized the Harry's wedding, other royal weddings, jubilees, key birthday celebrations, etc.

IMO the public component of Eugenie's wedding is not markedly different that the Phillips' weddings.

P.S.
I edited my comment to add in that there is public interest in Eugenie before I read your comment stating that there is little public interest in Eugenie. I disagree with that and while there may not be the same level of public interest in Eugenie as there is in William and Harry, there is public interest in her.

The public component is different from the Phillips wedding because the Phillips took a carriage ride from the chapel I believe to frogmore house directly no tour around Windsor.

It is her wedding. She can do what she wants as they are privately paying for it. The security cost was always going to be there as it is a big crowd and the guest involved. Do I think the optics of the 2 day event might be shaky? Yes but the Yorks are judged anyways so might as well have your dream wedding.

Here is the thing, if it’s entirely private event, that’s a different story. However, when they add the public component to a wedding that has had very little general public interest and the taxpayer have to pick up a tab in the millions, the optics just get worse and worse.

Millions? Which millions?
It is just grandma's place. Windsor Castle is guarded all year round. With or without Queen. With or without wedding. The ceremonials for Eugenie will be less than the annual Garter Day or a foreign official visit.

The famous bearskins are there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The music band is there, Eugenie or no Eugenie. The banqueting venue, the gold-, silver- and crystalware is there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The Royal Mews houses lots of borses and carriages, Eugenie or no Eugenie. Even the bridal diadem is there. Wedding or no wedding. The prize tag of "millions" is just way over the top and sucked out of very thick thumbs.

Last edited:
The public component is different from the Phillips wedding because the Phillips took a carriage ride from the chapel I believe to frogmore house directly no tour around Windsor.
I am aware of that but I don't consider that a significant difference. Furthermore I think that decisions regarding the length and path of the carriage rides for royal weddings are likely being made by royal event planners and not the couples and their immediate family.

It is her wedding. She can do what she wants as they are privately paying for it. The security cost was always going to be there as it is a big crowd and the guest involved. Do I think the optics of the 2 day event might be shaky? Yes but the Yorks are judged anyways so might as well have your dream wedding.

?

Last edited:
It is just grandma's place. Windsor Castle is guarded all year round. With or without Queen. With or without wedding. The ceremonials for Eugenie will be less than the annual Garter Day or a foreign official visit.

The famous bearskins are there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The music band is there, Eugenie or no Eugenie. The banqueting venue, the gold-, silver- and crystalware is there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The Royal Mews houses lots of borses and carriages, Eugenie or no Eugenie. Even the bridal diadem is there. Wedding or no wedding. The prize tag of "millions" is just way over the top and sucked out of very thick thumbs.

Not true that there isn't much difference. The security is different when they have screen the applicants and allow them onto the Windsor Castle ground compared to Peter's wedding. It's certainly is different when there is a public carriage ride, which is always the riskiest and most expensive part.

Not true that there isn't much difference. The security is different when they have screen the applicants and allow them onto the Windsor Castle ground compared to Peter's wedding. It's certainly is different when there is a public carriage ride, which is always the riskiest and most expensive part.

But that is public security. That is not different when Arsenal plays West Bromwich Albion. That is not different when U2 plays at Wembley. The princess and her guests have a risk profile. So be it. That is the same in any modern country. The Casiraghi-Borromeo wedding, not royal at all, just famous, needed the deployment of security as well. That's part of the game in any country where the public services are in charge of securit and have the monopoly on law enforcement.

But that is public security. That is not different when Arsenal plays West Bromwich Albion. That is not different when U2 plays at Wembley. The princess and her guests have a risk profile. So be it. That is the same in any modern country. The Casiraghi-Borromeo wedding, not royal at all, just famous, needed the deployment of security as well. That's part of the game in any country where the public services are in charge of securit and have the monopoly on law enforcement.

There is a big difference than what normal security would be involved and this added on part. Of course security is on alert and tight when the entire royal family is in one place, but there should be some consideration for public cost in a private event for someone that is a private citizen. Arsenal and U2 do not have the same optics concern the BRF has.

Stupid question?

Why is it always people who are not UK citizens who keep poking their noses in UK financial matters in these forums.

There is a recurring pattern i have noticed.

They are the ones who wants to strim down the monarchy
Decide who should be HRH and styled princes or princesses of the UK
Who should have RPOs
who should live where
who should be titled
et al

Jesus let the British people deal with what belongs to them. Your taxes are not paying for it

If you want to have a say, petition your government to institute a monarchy and then as taxpayers you will have a say

The 9th in line is about the same as the 29th these days.

It does seem as if this wedding is OTT. It should be more like Peter Phillips, though I hope without the tacky elements like the sale to Hello! or People.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom