Eugenie and Jack: Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is the public is paying for the security costs, just like they pay for the security for ever royal wedding.

Not to mention the numerous royal events throughout the year. Can you even begin to imagine the precedent this would set and where would it stop?

If Harry and Meghan visit her mom in California on a private visit should they pay out of pocket for the massive security bill.

Royal central bloggers, daily Mirror reporters and republican MPs can complain to their hearts content. Not going to change a thing.

If The Queen wasn’t on board, it wouldn’t be happening in the first place.

The Queen and most of the first 20 persons in line to the throne will attend the wedding, so there would have to be security in place anyway.

The Queen and most of the first 20 persons in line to the throne will attend the wedding, so there would have to be security in place anyway.

I don't think anyone would have issues with security on the grounds of the castle. However, there is a big difference between that and a carriage ride in public in terms of security cost. It's relatively easy to secure a place like Windsor Castle, but public street is a different story.

Honestly, this opinion piece seemed very much like a copy and paste project. The themes and points they were using were no different from any I have seen from sites such as Mirror and Express. Also, it doesn't seem very credible since it brought up a rumor from 2016 that was debunked by the Duke of York himself. The rumor in question that Beatrice (and Eugenie) should become working royal(s), which really should have never been taken seriously because Eugenie was never going to become a working royal even if B was. Also lets say the rumor was true and Charles had the influence and authority in the Firm to not allow them to become working royals, than why couldn't the have stopped something as small as a carriage ride that definitely doesn't fit into his slimmed down approach?

The fact is the public is paying for the security costs, just like they pay for the security for ever royal wedding.

Not to mention the numerous royal events throughout the year. Can you even begin to imagine the precedent this would set and where would it stop?

If Harry and Meghan visit her mom in California on a private visit should they pay out of pocket for the massive security bill.

Royal central bloggers, daily Mirror reporters and republican MPs can complain to their hearts content. Not going to change a thing.

A precedent that someone who doesn't work for the Firm shouldn't receive publicly funded security in the tunes of millions? That's hardly a precedent. It's already happened. And Meghan and Harry's RPO are not the same thing as security for Princess Eugenie's wedding. Anywhere those that are deemed to be enough of a risk for 24/7 security will incur cost any point. I don't think anyone would expect members of royal family never to go out of castle or palace grounds whenever they aren't working.

A precedent that someone who doesn't work for the Firm shouldn't receive publicly funded security in the tunes of millions? That's hardly a precedent. It's already happened. And Meghan and Harry's RPO are not the same thing as security for Princess Eugenie's wedding. Anywhere those that are deemed to be enough of a risk for 24/7 security will incur cost any point. I don't think anyone would expect members of royal family never to go out of castle or palace grounds whenever they aren't working.

The precedent would be the royal family picking up the tab for security costs. Then it’s a slippery slope. Some people always complain about the security costs. Richard Palmer usually writes about it a few times a year, especially when the year end accounts come out.

But it’s not going to happen in a hundred years. No one is in the streets with pitch forks marching on BP. A few republicans MPs that always whinge about this stuff. It’s the usual suspects

It’s a royal wedding by any definition and the security costs will be met by the public.

Last edited:
I thought that the fallout of the wedding and the cost was settled in comment 672, here is the link that was provided so what is the problem and what am I missing here....

Is this just some wanting their name in the news and another 15 minutes of fame? If people are so up set over cost that are apparently going to be paid by Prince Andrew then cancel the wedding and all other events at Windsor and Eugenie and Jack have a real private wedding with out anyone invited except family who can arrive privately in a car inside of Windsor.........:whistling:

I thought that the fallout of the wedding and the cost was settled in comment 672, here is the link that was provided so what is the problem and what am I missing here....

Is this just some wanting their name in the news and another 15 minutes of fame? If people are so up set over cost that are apparently going to be paid by Prince Andrew then cancel the wedding and all other events at Windsor and Eugenie and Jack have a real private wedding with out anyone invited except family who can arrive privately in a car inside of Windsor.........:whistling:
I think Dickie's comment is about the cost of the wedding such as ceremony and reception, whereas the comment he retweeted was about security cost? I don't think nearly as many people will care about the cost if it's paid for by Andrew. In fact, none of the people that have talked about the cost issue is talking about anything Prince Andrew and the Queen wants to pay for. It's always been surrounding the security cost that's paid by the public purse.

Thanks Jacqui, I always thought that the security cost above what is in place always at Windsor was paid by the royal family, meaning a royal wedding. I mean yes there are police around daily like anywhere and when HM is there and out and about the security is provided by Windsor so what really extra security is needed? Maybe I am not getting it or understanding how Windsor works on security issues.

I wish both Eugenie and Jack a very joyous wedding of their dreams yet the cost of a carriage ride through *part* of Windsor is sounding very petty to me by some. She is HM's granddaughter for heaven's sake, not a stranger. From my understanding so far is that some just want to complain as always about everything the royals do......just a way to bitch as usual.....

So what am I not understanding here. Besides all the people of Windsor that live there and the tourists that come there daily should more then make up for the cost of a carriage ride I would think. I have been to Windsor way back when and loved the area, my pictures bring back many happy memories of pubs and food and gray stone walls.....

Last edited:
Might be the wrong place but if the security costs for Eugenie are £2m and Harry only added 1-2 miles onto the same carriage ride - why were his costs £30+ M. It is just Uk media being difficult.

Its all tosh IMO and £2m is about 3p per capita in the UK.

If the senior members of the BRF family to pay for security themselves every time they set foot out of their homes for personal reasons it would be ridiculous. They would practically become prisoners in their homes.

Many weeks ago someone pointed out that in Windsor, Eugenie is a hometown girl. She grew up there and went to school there. The town may be interested in her wedding, some may look upon her as one of "their princessess."

Last edited:
Might be the wrong place but if the security costs for Eugenie are £2m and Harry only added 1-2 miles onto the same carriage ride - why were his costs £30+ M. It is just Uk media being difficult.

The cost that was released when Windsor asked for money to help pay for it was 3.5 mil or about. So the 2 mil does make sense.

Thanks Jacqui, I always thought that the security cost above what is in place always at Windsor was paid by the royal family, meaning a royal wedding. I mean yes there are police around daily like anywhere and when HM is there and out and about the security is provided by Windsor so what really extra security is needed? Maybe I am not getting it or understanding how Windsor works on security issues.

Security cost is always met by taxpayers. There is added security cost is related to securing the event. With the highest risk being outside of the castle.

Last edited by a moderator:
3.5 million for Harry and Meghan's wedding?

The Sussexes wedding was not £30 million, those were inaccurate tabloid estimates. The Thames Valley, Police Commissioner stated the cost was between £2-4 mil, as stated in article at the link, on May 30th. £2m makes sense for E&J’s wedding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-44303756

I think Dickie's comment is about the cost of the wedding such as ceremony and reception, whereas the comment he retweeted was about security cost? I don't think nearly as many people will care about the cost if it's paid for by Andrew. In fact, none of the people that have talked about the cost issue is talking about anything Prince Andrew and the Queen wants to pay for. It's always been surrounding the security cost that's paid by the public purse.

Here are my two cents worth on the issue:

> As Eugenie is a "junior" royal, and certainly not a working member of "The Firm", I would not expect to see a large, "public" wedding at the Abbey, or anything like that. Small and discrete, at St G, is I think just fine.

> As regards the issue of the carriage ride through Windsor, personally I would not have chosen one, but it is not my decision. If it has been decided so, it has been decided so with the consent of the Queen. Lets respect that.

> Does the carriage ride add anything to te town of Windsor or the British people per se? Short answer yes. The people of Windsor, and frankly anybody else who would like to, get to see their "local" princess on her wedding day. It certainly adds to the local economy, whether we like it or not.

> Is the security cordon a major inconvenience to the people of Windsor? No. It is a very short area, and the people are used to these disruptions on a regular basis.

> Security costs: Whilst it can be argued in either direction, the sums (which I do not believe, but that is besides the point) are not astronomical, so I am, on balance, not concerned. There will always be a few journalists and MPs whining, but that is fine. You get the same every time there is a royal event.

> Does the carriage ride add anything to te town of Windsor or the British people per se? Short answer yes. The people of Windsor, and frankly anybody else who would like to, get to see their "local" princess on her wedding day. It certainly adds to the local economy, whether we like it or not.

As it has been pointed out by British posters, carriage rides have a long tradition in UK weddings , especially in local communities, and Eugenie is a Windsor local. I don't understand all the fuss then about a very minor (and quite common) event like that.

My view is that as Eugenie is not a working royal, her wedding should not cost the taxpayer a single penny. She is effectively a private citizen. Her father has even described his daughters as "modern young women", yet he is happy for one of them to have security costing a (reportedly) seven figure sum.

" Modern " young people should earn their keep and not expect to be the benefactor of things which are beyond their means. Although yes lots of people have their weddings funded by their family.

Andrew pays for the girls' security himself. If he wishes to use his own money in that way he is free to do so - as is everyone else (and before anyone starts that it is 'taxpayers' money - that is the case for all public/civil servants but no one seems to claim that other employees of the state can't spend their money as they wish - only the royals).

The only way that this wedding will not cost the taxpayers anything would be if The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte, Harry, Meghan, Andrew, Edward and Anne all boycott it - as they all have 24/7 security. When they are all together in any sort of public space - including the publicly accessible grounds of Windsor Castle the security costs are increased.

Regardless of where Eugenie marries, short of eloping and thus not having her grandparents or her cousins etc attend her wedding there will be a cost to the public for security.

That is the only cost being past onto the taxpayers anyway.

Zara is a private citizen and there were complaints about the cost of the security for her wedding which shut down a section of central Edinburgh for the day ... but that is forgotten as she is so 'down to earth'. The costs are associated with who is her her extended family and not for her personally.

Zara is a private citizen and there were complaints about the cost of the security for her wedding which shut down a section of central Edinburgh for the day ... but that is forgotten as she is so 'down to earth'. The costs are associated with who is her her extended family and not for her personally.

Good point! :flowers:
The majority of the complaints are probably due to the fact that Eugenie is a York, which is not a popular branch of the RF.

I really just hope they haven't sold the photo rights to Hello or OK magazine.

This is false. The cost was nowhere near that price. The commissioner flat out stated it.

I get why some could be annoyed with the costs as Eugenie is not a working royal but overall I don't think it is a big deal. She is the grandchild of the Queen. The family is going to be there so security was going to happen anyways. They were expecting crowd due to this big royal year. On the day of most wont be upset about it.

And I bet Windsor is thrilled. There have already felt the benefits of the Susses wedding. So having another one coming up will be great for them. Isn't that the point? Bring in money and help the overall economy?

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone realizes here that we've spent far more time talking about the cost of a short carriage ride through Windsor than the actual carriage ride is going to take. How long will things be "disrupted"? 20-30 minutes?

People are going to show up in Windsor on the wedding day most likely carriage ride or no carriage ride most likely. With this line of thinking, I'm inclined to believe that the security would be put into place even if there wasn't a carriage ride to begin with. :D

My view is that as Eugenie is not a working royal, her wedding should not cost the taxpayer a single penny. She is effectively a private citizen. Her father has even described his daughters as "modern young women", yet he is happy for one of them to have security costing a (reportedly) seven figure sum.

" Modern " young people should earn their keep and not expect to be the benefactor of things which are beyond their means. Although yes lots of people have their weddings funded by their family.

You do know the security costs are not actually for Eugenie herself, but for the public in Windsor? Then some extra security because all the high profile Royals are gathered in one place.

I really wish folks would stop overplaying this...will Prince Philip attend the wedding with Fergie thing? The will be there if his health permits it. It’s like the only ones that’s keeping the feud going is the media and people online.

I really think the more the media make a fuss of it the more likely it is Philip will be there just to make a point.

Yep , can’t agree more - DoE will go to the wedding pose for the photos and do nothing to damage the day for his granddaughter. He has class.

I really wish folks would stop overplaying this...will Prince Philip attend the wedding with Fergie thing? The will be there if his health permits it. It’s like the only ones that’s keeping the feud going is the media and people online.

I agree with this. I don't know why people question if Philip will attend his granddaughter's wedding. He was at Harry's wedding and Sarah was there. We all saw her and this was right after his hip surgery. They are adults. They can put aside their drama for the sake of another for a few hours.

I don't bet much but I would wager a mortgage that Philip's love for his granddaughter outweighs all dislike he has for her mother.

If Philip really doesn't want to be near Sarah they can just stick her on the "grooms" side of the chapel with Jack's family. I doubt anyone there would raise a fuss (the media might, but a Fergie snubbed story doesn't sound like a best seller).

The whole Prince Philip vs Sarah Ferguson thing has been overplayed for far too long and I find it all annoying. It’s a family wedding for Christ sake, not a wrestling match.

Beatrice will be Maid of Honor for her sister.
I was thinking that something in the gold or bronze color tones would be nice with her red hair.
But I expect it will be all white as usual.

Posts discussing titles for Eugenie and Jack have been move here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom