Eugenie and Jack: Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you believe that Prince Philip will attend the wedding?

Of course he will. Why wouldn't he? These people are adults. The only way he is not there is if it is impossible for him to be there.

The wedding details are on the BBC news website. It’s on Sky news and ITV.

As we get closer to the date the hype will build. Eugenie has a lot of famous celebrity and aristocratic friends. The senior royals will attend.

I think there’s going to be quite a bit of interest tbh.

If Philip attended Harry's so shortly after surgery, I don't see any reason to doubt he would attend Eugenie's. As long as his health permits.

We will see most of the royals, the ones we saw at Harry's. I'd expect a few extras like Freddie and his wife, as I suspect her goddaughter Maude will be a bridesmaid. And James Oglivy (Princess Alexandra's son) and family as James is her godfather.

I would also be expecting some aristos and even minor royals from the continent. Beatrice and Eugenie move in those circles more then their cousins, and often attend weddings on the continent. They attended the wedding of people like Prince Christian of Hannover.

m

As for Eugenie's gown, is it going to be £250,000, which is what Meghan's gown was priced at, according to the DM guesstimate? Because, if it is, considering that the York family is not very popular, that's likely to pile on the ill will as well.

Security I can understand as that’s paid for by the taxpayer however Eugenie, IMO, can wear whatever she likes as whatever cost. The taxpayer is not paying for her dress. Whilst the cost of the dress doesn’t make it more beautiful if Eugenie finds “the one” or has the one made then that’s her choice. She should only marry once.

Let's face it. No matter what Eugenie and Jack decided to do with their wedding, there will always be those that look for *any* excuse to jump on the complaint bandwagon.

EXACTLY!! This right here sums up everything, I can almost guarantee that if it was anyone else’s wedding we wouldn’t be having half these discussions.

EXACTLY!! This right here sums up everything, I can almost guarantee that if it was anyone else’s wedding we wouldn’t be having half these discussions.

Anyone except her sister.;) It might be worse for Beatrice.

There were plenty of discussions about the price of things including security in the Harry/Meghan threads here and elsewhere in the run-up to their wedding. Links were given on articles on the prices of many things guessed at by the media.

And Meghan's dress didn't cost £250,000 or anything like it. That's the point. It was an allegation made by the DM, complete with fantasy illustration weeks before the wedding. And her dress wasn't paid for by taxpayers either, but by herself. The couple were attacked and attacked bitterly in some quarters, so it's not just the Yorks who are treated unjustly.

I agree there will be interest. If not for Eugenie herself, people will want to see the Queen, the Cambridges, the Sussexes, etc. And then you have traditional royalists or people who are just interested in royal weddings in general. I know plenty of Americans who watched Swedish royal weddings, so can’t see how this is any different.

Onto another topic of the wedding. I wonder if they are waiting to see the results of the application from those to attend to convince the stations to televise it? I think if it has to be debated on, it really calls into the question if there is the interest. I don't remember any royal wedding that's televised in recent history to not have been decided from the get go that it'll be televised or not.

I can't remember how the Wessexes decided on who to let on the ground of Windsor Castle that day. Has an application system been done before?

For people who follow Emily Andrews and Scobie, they said on their latest podcast they’d be surprised if the wedding isn’t on television.

They said it’s a great PR opportunity for the monarchy.

Last edited:
I guess we shall see. It will depend on if the networks feel they can benefit from it. It would be great PR but that isn't all that plays into it. Personally I would love it.

At least have the BBC air it. Maybe not a massive global airing.

I don't believe she is having a similar wedding to Peter's. I thought she would, but that's not what we are seeing here. I know Peter didn't have a carriage rides through public streets, and I'm pretty certain I didn't read about people on the grounds to watch the wedding. It's more like Edward's, except for maybe being televised live. I think everyone is ok with normal security when the wedding isn't public, but now we are talking about a much bigger operation when the public streets have to be secured for the carriage ride.

Despite the planned roll-back on HRH titles, Princess Eugenie is an HRH, perhaps with a less higher profile than her cousins (William and Harry), but with prominent connections to the Queen. She's part of the immediate royal family as a granddaughter to the Queen. It was Princess Anne's choice for her children to not have titles in order for them to be able to maintain a relatively private lifestyle. Prince Andrew decided differently.

Even with all of that notwithstanding, why all of the side-eye toward Eugenie planning the wedding that she wants? Frankly, I think that Eugenie and Jack feel inspired by the love between the Sussexes, and that the entire royal family is looking forward to celebrating another royal family wedding at St. George's Chapel in October. Let Eugenie and Jack do it in the way that they please. Protection would be necessary at Windsor, regardless of them having a carriage ride or not through part of the town.

Last edited:
Despite the planned roll-back on HRH titles, Princess Eugenie is an HRH, perhaps with a less higher profile than her cousins (William and Harry), but with prominent connections to the Queen. She's part of the immediate royal family as a granddaughter to the Queen. It was Princess Anne's choice for her children to not have titles in order for them to be able to maintain a relatively private lifestyle. Prince Andrew decided differently.

Even with all of that notwithstanding, why all of the side-eye toward Eugenie planning the wedding that she wants? Frankly, I think that Eugenie and Jack feel inspired by the love between the Sussexes, and that the entire royal family is looking forward to celebrating another royal family wedding. Let Eugenie and Jack do it in the way that they please. Protection would be necessary at Windsor, regardless of them having a carriage ride or not through part of the town.
That is completely untrue. It's one thing to protect the royals inside the castle, it's another when it's a public spectacle.

By all intents and purposes, there is nothing different between Andrew's children and Anne or Edward's children at this point. They are private citizens. If we all use that to defend them when they are being treated unfairly, then they need to live as if they are private citizens, and that does not include protection cost for their wedding carriage ride for their wedding. If Andrew wants to absorb the cost, that's a different story.

That is completely untrue. It's one thing to protect the royals inside the castle, it's another when it's a public spectacle.

By all intents and purposes, there is nothing different between Andrew's children and Anne or Edward's children at this point. They are private citizens. If we all use that to defend them when they are being treated unfairly, then they need to live as if they are private citizens, and that does not include protection cost for their wedding carriage ride for their wedding. If Andrew wants to absorb the cost, that's a different story.

I agree and I think that SOMEONE, the Queen or Andrew, will have to absorb that cost or any goodwill towards Eugenie will go up in smoke. There is no appetite among taxpayers to foot the bill for this.

I don't accept the premise that there is no difference between royal highnesses and not titled family members of the queen. For family occassions there is no difference between any of the queen's grandchildren (that includes the dukes) but for royal purposes there are various categories that we could work with.
1. The core royals (adult direct line and spouses; so queen, prince of Wales and duke of Cambridge & spouses)
2. Secondary royals working for the firm (queen's other children, duke of Sussex, dukes of Gloucester and Kent & some spouses)
3. Other royals limitedly working for the firm (prince and princess Michael of Kent, duchess of Kent, princess Alexandra?, princesses Beatrice and Eugenie)
4. Non-royal family members
5. Children

If the Queen is happy for the couple to have a carriage ride through the centre of Windsor, who are we to whine?

:previous: Right @muriel and @Somebody.

Let's also remember that it was Princess Anne's decision for her mother, QEII, to not give her first husband a title. Had he been given a title, Anne's children likely would have been styled the children of an Earl, ie., Viscount/Lady. Anne made that decision knowing full well that she did not wish her children to hold any titles, despite the fact they would still be privileged to a degree as members of the royal family.

Prince Andrew felt differently. And in the case of Prince Edward, the decision was made that he would inherit his father's title one day, so that he was named the Earl of Wessex in the interim. His children are entitled to be Prince/Princess, but again, the decision was made (likely with the full approval of the Wessexes) for their children to not be styled HRH Prince/Princess.

Because Prince Andrew felt differently, both of his daughters are HRH Princesses. IMHO, there is a lot of positive public interest right now in the royal family due to the relationship between M&H and their subsequent wedding. Jack and Eugenie likely have had an understanding for awhile, and then Prince Harry found the love of his life and beat them to the altar. :D I see nothing wrong with royal wedding fever. :twohearts:

It's a very happy, celebratory time. There's enough bad things happening in the world. Why not celebrate love on a large scale when it happens to be possible? Eugenie is a princess in her own right. I'm happy to see her have a royal princess wedding in whatever fashion she desires. And I hope the same for Princess Beatrice one day.

Big deal about the carriage ride and protection costs attached. With all of the revenue that the British economy is enjoying as a result of Meghan joining the royal family, surely the protection costs for Eugenie's more abbreviated carriage ride will be worth it. I do not see why all the criticism of Eugenie's plans in this thread. As I said before, I do not think either couple are in any kind of competition mode regarding their respective nuptials and love stories. Why should royal observers be complaining in such a 'competitive-focused' manner? I think we get more than enough of that from the tabloids.

Last edited:
I don't accept the premise that there is no difference between royal highnesses and not titled family members of the queen. For family occassions there is no difference between any of the queen's grandchildren (that includes the dukes) but for royal purposes there are various categories that we could work with.
1. The core royals (adult direct line and spouses; so queen, prince of Wales and duke of Cambridge & spouses)
2. Secondary royals working for the firm (queen's other children, duke of Sussex, dukes of Gloucester and Kent & some spouses)
3. Other royals limitedly working for the firm (prince and princess Michael of Kent, duchess of Kent, princess Alexandra?, princesses Beatrice and Eugenie)
4. Non-royal family members
5. Children

I think fairly accurate except Princess Alexandra should be with the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester--and the Queen's children do more than her cousins at this point in their lives.

If the Queen is happy for the couple to have a carriage ride through the centre of Windsor, who are we to whine?

Then she can pay for the security cost and no one would say anything about it.

In talking about promoting the monarchy. I can understand making a spectacle of a popular royal or a core member of the family to promote. But why would you spend all of this on someone that's not so popular, or something that there isn't that much interest from the people? Especially for a family that's already seen as entitled and spoiled. Does them no favors.

Last edited:

In talking about promoting the monarchy. I can understand making a spectacle of a popular royal or a core member of the family to promote. But why would you spend all of this on someone that's not so popular, or something that there isn't that much interest from the people? Especially for a family that's already seen as entitled and spoiled. Does them no favors.

Good point.
Until recently, Eugenie (and Beatrice) weren't well-known at all.
Lately they are seen at more events and are becoming much more recognizable, but there are still people who mix the two of them up.

(Still, I have to admit I am looking forward to this wedding, and it does seem to be on a more opulent scale than Peter Phillips' wedding was).

I think fairly accurate except Princess Alexandra should be with the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester--and the Queen's children do more than her cousins at this point in their lives.
That's why I put her with a question mark. I doubted between 2 and 3 - previously she clearly was in category 2. I don't follow her closely, so I am not sure about whether she still is as active as when they had a greater need for a female influence.

Furthermore, it seems that especially the duke and duchess of Gloucester are still rather active. They are only a few years older than Charles and Camilla. The duke of Kent indeed has reduced the number of engagements he undertakes for the queen.

Good point.
Until recently, Eugenie (and Beatrice) weren't well-known at all.
Lately they are seen at more events and are becoming much more recognizable, but there are still people who mix the two of them up.

(Still, I have to admit I am looking forward to this wedding, and it does seem to be on a more opulent scale than Peter Phillips' wedding was).

And rightly so, as Eugenie is a royal highness and Peter is not. Which also leads to different royal expectations/participation. For example, the York princesses participated in the Commonwealth meeting and we see them regularly at garden parties (so comparable to prince and princess Michael of Kent - not 'working royals' as in that being their primary occupation but part of the group of royals that the queen might enlist to support her).

Last edited by a moderator:

Since you are apparently not a British citizen, why are you concerned about security costs for Princess Eugenie's wedding? I still don't see what the problem is exactly. Are you referencing the York family as entitled and spoiled?

In my previous post, I wasn't talking about 'promoting' the British monarchy. I said that a lot of positive public interest has extended to the royal family as a direct result of the interest in Prince Harry's relationship with an American citizen, Meghan Markle. That both Harry and Meghan share a wonderful love story and are also positive role models is another factor in their widespread popularity and in the interest generated by their royal wedding. The British monarchy has obviously been naturally promoted in a positive light for the most part simply as an after-effect or after-glow.

Another byproduct of M&H's relationship/wedding has been the huge boost to the British economy. Therefore, in a year of royal wedding fever, I do not personally see security costs for an abbreviated town of Windsor carriage ride for Eugenie's royal wedding as a huge expense. There will be security costs involved anyway with most of the major British royals attending the wedding. I realize there is added cost for the carriage ride happening outside the confines of Windsor Castle grounds. But to me that cost seems negligible under the circumstances (especially relative to what each individual British citizen would be out of pocket for). And it's not as if either Princess Eugenie or Prince Andrew do absolutely nothing for their country.

I've heard some of the criticisms about Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie over the years, but I haven't followed such rancor closely. Some of that negativity likely comes as a result of their parents' general unpopularity. But time has passed, and Beatrice & Eugenie have grown up a bit and are trying to improve their images. I personally do not think either of them have poor characters, so I think they should be given less side-eye and negative criticism, particularly in regard to Eugenie's current desires surrounding her royal wedding.

Last edited:

As I have previously stated, we are quite content with having our beloved monarch make these decisions. As far as I am concerned, she has not made any major mistakes in her time as our monarch, and if she is alright with the proposed arrangements, then so be it.

Another way of looking at this is that this is a domestic matter in the UK, and not one for our friends from across the pond to worry themselves with.

I'm sure there are anti-monarchists on British soil who may take issue with security costs, but then they would probably take issue with most British monarchy expenses. From what I can detect from afar, there are a majority of British citizens who truly enjoy the tradition and the pomp & circumstance involved with British royal public ceremonies, and royal weddings (no matter that Princess Eugenie leads more of a private life than her cousins, William and Harry).

The traditions surrounding British royal weddings seem to be happy and unifying for many of the British people. Royal weddings are rare, so why not take advantage of enjoying this additional happy royal celebration later this year? Especially, with all the political problems and unavoidable concerns and worries surrounding Britain's economic future? This is a rare time for unity and happy celebrations. I don't feel Eugenie is going over the top. Neither did Harry & Meghan. Perhaps Eugenie's wedding will give a slight additional boost to the economy, particularly in Windsor. And as well, it might sustain the interest in overseas travelers visiting Windsor Castle and the town of Windsor. ?

I'm sure there are anti-monarchists on British soil who may take issue with security costs, but then they would probably take issue with most British monarchy expenses. From what I can detect from afar, there are a majority of British citizens who truly enjoy the tradition and the pomp & circumstance involved with British royal public ceremonies, and royal weddings (no matter that Princess Eugenie leads more of a private life than her cousins, William and Harry).

The traditions surrounding British royal weddings seem to be happy and unifying for many of the British people. Royal weddings are rare, so why not take advantage of enjoying this additional happy royal celebration later this year? Especially, with all the political problems and unavoidable concerns and worries surrounding Britain's economic future? This is a rare time for unity and happy celebrations. I don't feel Eugenie is going over the top. Neither did Harry & Meghan. Perhaps Eugenie's wedding will give a slight additional boost to the economy, particularly in Windsor. And as well, it might sustain the interest in overseas travelers visiting Windsor Castle and the town of Windsor. ?

Very well put!

Since you are apparently not a British citizen, why are you concerned about security costs for Princess Eugenie's wedding? I still don't see what the problem is exactly. Are you referencing the York family as entitled and spoiled?

In my previous post, I wasn't talking about 'promoting' the British monarchy. I said that a lot of positive public interest has extended to the royal family as a direct result of the interest in Prince Harry's relationship with an American citizen, Meghan Markle. That both Harry and Meghan share a wonderful love story and are also positive role models is another factor in their widespread popularity and in the interest generated by their royal wedding. The British monarchy has obviously been naturally promoted in a positive light for the most part simply as an after-effect or after-glow.

Another byproduct of M&H's relationship/wedding has been the huge boost to the British economy. Therefore, in a year of royal wedding fever, I do not personally see security costs for an abbreviated town of Windsor carriage ride for Eugenie's royal wedding as a huge expense. There will be security costs involved anyway with most of the major British royals attending the wedding. I realize there is added cost for the carriage ride happening outside the confines of Windsor Castle grounds. But to me that cost seems negligible under the circumstances (especially relative to what each individual British citizen would be out of pocket for). And it's not as if either Princess Eugenie or Prince Andrew do absolutely nothing for their country.

I've heard some of the criticisms about Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie over the years, but I haven't followed such rancor closely. Some of that negativity likely comes as a result of their parents' general unpopularity. But time has passed, and Beatrice & Eugenie have grown up a bit and are trying to improve their images. I personally do not think either of them have poor characters, so I think they should be given less side-eye and negative criticism, particularly in regard to Eugenie's current desires surrounding her royal wedding.
If not being a UK citizens exclude us from talking finances, then most of us shouldn't be talking on this board.

I was pointing out from a public relations standpoint, which is the reason being listed as this is good, that this wouldn't go over well and why. I do agree that the York princesses are disliked not for their own behavior as they've not done much wrong, except for maybe a few weird outfits, but it doesn't rise to the level of mockery thrown at them. It does have to do with the behavior of their parents over the years. I'm just saying this is not making anything better. In fact, it's probably better for them to keep a low profile as private individuals unless they want even more scrutiny on themselves.

Prince Andrew felt differently. And in the case of Prince Edward, the decision was made that he would inherit his father's title one day, so that he was named the Earl of Wessex in the interim. His children are entitled to be Prince/Princess, but again, the decision was made (likely with the full approval of the Wessexes) for their children to not be styled HRH Prince/Princess.

Because Prince Andrew felt differently, both of his daughters are HRH Princesses. IMHO, there is a lot of positive public interest right now in the royal family due to the relationship between M&H and their subsequent wedding. Jack and Eugenie likely have had an understanding for awhile, and then Prince Harry found the love of his life and beat them to the altar. :D I see nothing wrong with royal wedding fever. :twohearts:

To be honest, Andrew didn't feel differently about this. When Beatrice and Eugenie were born, things went along with the status quo of how things are done. All children from a marriage of a son of the sovereign were entitled to the styling of Prince or Princess. Its how things are and how things went. No decision needed to be made. :D

My thoughts is that if Eugenie and Jack are happy with the carriage ride and the Queen is happy with the carriage ride and the people of Windsor are happy with the carriage ride (and the revenue that their businesses will do) and the security forces are happy to work and get paid because of a carriage ride and the people that are interested and plan to travel to Windsor to witness the carriage ride, whats the problem? Pomp and pageantry and ceremony, to me, is what defines the continuity of the British monarchy and the actual cost to the taxpayer is cheaper than a cup of coffee at Starbuck's.

The Queen has often stated that she needs to be seen to be believed. The Queen personifies all that is British in its very long history. Events like Eugenie and Jack's wedding with the carriage ride and all the courtesies extended to the public amplify that sense of continuity. One only has to take a good look at Windsor Castle itself and realize that its been there and in use since the late 11th century to be stricken with a sense of awe and wonder. One only has to look at the Ascot landau and picture royals that have come before riding it in.

In a sense, this wedding isn't only a celebration of the marriage of Eugenie and Jack, but its also a celebration of continuity in the United Kingdom as a whole. It means something. It represents something dear to the heart of the British. Its bigger than the cost. Money comes and money goes but some things endure throughout the ages. :D

I think Eugenie wants (and will apparently have) a higher profile wedding than Peter because she runs in a higher profile circle than Peter and Autumn did. Personally I hope they have the reception on the grounds at Royal Lodge rather than Frogmore...just to avoid the most recent comparisons. It is her home. Other that the seasonal difference (which should dictate the foliage and decor, E&J could also have their ceremony in late afternoon, a carriage ride and and then direct to the reception at Royal Lodge. becasue they wont have the dignitaries there really isnt the need for the afternoon reception. but i expect plenty of sparkle.

The wedding is going ahead.

You may not like the logistics of the wedding but it’s taking place. Everyone from The Queen on down will be present.

I’m looking forward to the pomp and ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom