Eugenie and Jack: Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not quite true. Harry's wedding involved closed down roads and had to put in airport security scanners among other security measures during the day which caused a lot of delays and such in getting around town. But it wasn't as disruptive because it's not a workday where most people have to be at places by a certain time. The Wessexes' wedding was also on a Saturday to minimize disruption as no holiday is expected. However, Eugenie's wedding is on a weekday. I'm at a loss as to why they didn't just pick the Saturday if they wanted a public wedding? The only wedding since the Yorks' wedding that was not intended to be on either a holiday or weekend was Prince Charles and Camilla's blessing. But I don't believe that was on the same scale in terms of road closures and such.

Since the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William will all be attending this wedding, yes security will be very high. Just having that many heirs in one place raises security levels exponentially.
And the wedding is on a Friday in Windsor, so not too disruptive. They must have a good reason for the wedding to be on Friday and not Saturday.

Since the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William will all be attending this wedding, yes security will be very high. Just having that many heirs in one place raises security levels exponentially.
And the wedding is on a Friday in Windsor, so not too disruptive. They must have a good reason for the wedding to be on Friday and not Saturday.

That's security within the confines of the Castle, which is different than having to provide security along the route where the public is for public safety. That was the case for Sussex wedding too. It's relatively easy to secure the principals on the grounds of Castle that already secured, but not so much when it's on a public street.

How can it not be too disruptive when streets have to be closed down and additional security screenings to be up? I've yet to see a good reason for a weekday rather than the weekend based on this new information. I thought perhaps they didn't want to disrupt the tourism on a weekend before, but it seems that they are causing a much worse disruption to people living there by doing it on a Friday if this is the route they go down. I'm not sure why they even think it's a good idea to disrupt children's education by pulling them out of school for what should be a private wedding of a private person. I think having a wedding with a carriage ride like this closing down streets on a weekday without a bank holiday is exactly the type of thing that will be seen and considered as out of touch with everyday people.

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly the type of thing that will be seen and considered as out of touch with everyday people.

I personally know perhaps a dozen people that either live or work in Windsor [some do both]. ALL of them accept the periodic disruption caused by 'the Castle', and are proud to be in the Town that contains it, and is WORLD famous because of it..
What those who are in no way inconvenienced by it think is irrelevant ..

Sounds like a smaller version (at least carriage procession) of what we saw for Harry and Meghan. Glad to see that her wedding is treated as one of a princess.

William has other first cousins. I see no one complaining that William favored his royal cousin over his non royal cousins. No one had an issue with Edmund and Lara not being used. They were young enough, yet there was no 'if you use one cousin you have to use them all'. Edmund was 8 and Lara was 5.

Or any complaint Margharita was used, but not the other kids who are the same relation as she is. Arthur and Charles at 12 could have still been pages.

Or that she only used one of Camilla's grandkids and none of the others. Or older weddings. No issue Diana only used Lord Nicholas but none of his siblings or their cousins.

So I don't see how anyone could possibly expect that Eugenie would be 'snubbing' any child if she didn't choose all the little royals.

William and Catherine picked only one of each core family (no siblings). My point was that it would be weird if Eugenie picked both the elder Cambridge kids and none of the other great grandchildren of the queen. Picking one Cambridge kid and one or two others would be perfectly fine.

I personally know perhaps a dozen people that either live or work in Windsor [some do both]. ALL of them accept the periodic disruption caused by 'the Castle', and are proud to be in the Town that contains it, and is WORLD famous because of it..
What those who are in no way inconvenienced by it think is irrelevant ..

Of course people accept some disruption, but everything has a limit. While I'm sure no one would be upset at a state visit causing disruptions, that is not applied for every event. For a private person's wedding, who isn't even considerate enough to do so on a weekend when people don't have to rush off to work, I would think people are less understanding.

As for the bridal party, I think they can pick whomever they want and I don't think other parents or anyone else should feel weird about it.

Looks like they are using Harry's and Meghan's wedding as a template in some respects. Interesting.

I assume they feel it was successful what they did, worth it to follow in their footsteps? :cool: Edward and Sophie did it otherwise: might it be because security concerns are much greater now?

I thought the same, I find it interesting that they want to have such a public wedding as I've always thought they seemed like a more private couple, and thus presumed they would have a small, family wedding privately with just a few photos released. Purely because of the amount of interest they garner I doubt the wedding will get as much attention as Harry and Meghan's (I would be surprised if it were televised) but there will still be large crowds outside Windsor.

Of course people accept some disruption, but everything has a limit. While I'm sure no one would be upset at a state visit causing disruptions, that is not applied for every event. For a private person's wedding, who isn't even considerate enough to do so on a weekend when people don't have to rush off to work, I would think people are less understanding.

As for the bridal party, I think they can pick whomever they want and I don't think other parents or anyone else should feel weird about it.

I think you are forgetting that Eugenie and Jack were not the only people whose schedules had to be considered for this wedding.

A few thoughts:

1.) Haters -- get over it! She's the daughter of the son of the sovereign! She's an HRH. She didn't come out of the womb asking for it -- she is it, by birth!
2.) Just remember that whatever you think the Yorks deserve should also go for the 2nd and 3rd children of the Cambridge's and the yet-to-come children of the Sussex couple.
3.) Camilla and Charles were scheduled to be married on a Friday, but their wedding date was superseded by Pope John Paul II's funeral which Charles attended.

A few thoughts:

1.) Haters -- get over it! She's the daughter of the son of the sovereign! She's an HRH. She didn't come out of the womb asking for it -- she is it, by birth!
2.) Just remember that whatever you think the Yorks deserve should also go for the 2nd and 3rd children of the Cambridge's and the yet-to-come children of the Sussex couple.
3.) Camilla and Charles were scheduled to be married on a Friday, but their wedding date was superseded by Pope John Paul II's funeral which Charles attended.

LOL what? Haters? Hardly. Pointing out this is overblown for a non-working member of the family? Not hate just an opinion.

And YES I do think that the same should apply to the Cambridge kids who are not working members AND to any of the Sussex kids who will almost definitely not be working members.

We all know there are folks -- on this board -- who dislike (I'm being very generous) the Yorks.

I think it’s going to be a lovely day. Just hope the weather co-operates.

I’m looking forward to the tiara she wears as well as just the pomp of a royal wedding.

I don't see the problem with Eugenie and Jack having a short carriage ride. Apparently they expect more people than they can host on the grounds of Windsor Castle, so very considerate of them to make sure that these people can also see them on their wedding day.

The wedding being at Windsor Castle already largely limits the disturbance. For example one of the queen's cousins got married at York Cathedral. I am sure that caused some disturbance in the city of York as well - as any royal visit does. I would think the marriage of a princess of the blood is an occasion that is far more important than one of the many work visits made by a royal or anyone else deemed important which many times also leads to smaller or bigger road closures.

:previous:
I am very much in agreement with you Rudolph for Eugenie is a very nice young lady who has done no one harm on this earth and hating her because of her parents is down right cruel in my book. I hope she has the wedding of her dreams as all young girls wish for and she should not be given less just because she is not a working member of the royal family, she is family first and foremost here. She has gone to college, got a career, not just a job, and worked her way up so this beating up on her is not fair to her at all. She and Jack have been together for a long time now and work together on their relationship so what is the darn problem with that? Nothing I see!?

I too am looking forward to a fine day for the wedding and to seeing Eugenie's tiara (probably her mother's) and gown. Also to all the pomp of a royal wedding, as occured in May with the Sussexes.

Just wondering though, as to whether there will be articles in the media, DM comments and debates elsewhere about this wedding. For instance, is there going to be criticism about the ballot system, or whether the 1,200 people on the grounds are going to be fed and watered on the day? Whether Windsor will be in lockdown as we were told in May, with police leave cancelled.

Is there going to be speculation about the cost of security (in May £30-40 million was mentioned) the price of the bridal gown featured in the tabloids, complete with wildly inflated figures?

I'll be interested to see whether there is the same level of criticism and hysteria in the media and elsewhere about the costs to taxpayers of this wedding, as there was in May.

Will the same Ascot Landau be used that Prince Harry and Meghan rode in?

Will the same Ascot Landau be used that Prince Harry and Meghan rode in?

I imagine it will be the same landau as its been stated that its the best one for viewing the people riding in it. ?

Though they could use the Balmoral sociable carriage which was used by Peter and Autum, they will likely use the landau. It has a better view of the couple riding in it, then the Balmoral does.

I think despite some distate for the Yorks there will be a lot of interest. This is the first major royal wedding of a British princess since Anne married Mark (Tim was a small private affair and event that was over 20 years ago). Seeing a blood princess, what dress she wears, what tiara she has, and so on will bring some interest as well.

I like they include charities. For all the talk of 'they aren't working royals', Eugenie has a number of charities she has supported for years. Its great to see them included. I also like they will include some students from her old schools as well.

I love a royal wedding, and I would not be unhappy to see Eugenie's wedding televised live, if indeed the couple wish to share that much with the public. It does seem as if it's only going to be audio broadcast, but maybe they mean the audio is for those standing outdoors at Windsor. People at home may be allowed to see it televised, hopefully. There's something like royal wedding fever going on this year I think. And aside from Princess Beatrice, what other opportunities will there be after this for another British royal wedding until the Cambridges grow up?

I've heard that Prince Harry is close to Eugenie, and that in October 2016, Eugenie and Jack joined Meghan and Harry on a double date. I don't know if that's confirmed, but it sounds plausible. I doubt these two young couples feel any sense of competition, regardless of tabloid and royal journalist blather. Both couples are more likely happy for each other.

Eugenie should be a beautiful bride and I wish her and Jack much happiness.

The royal family may not always get along with each other privately, but I think for the most part they have each other's backs to the extent that they know what happens in the royal firm needs to stay in the royal firm these days. They can only trust each other and their steadfastly loyal closest friends in a tabloid media world that seeks to compromise them by any means necessary.

Last edited:
I think you are forgetting that Eugenie and Jack were not the only people whose schedules had to be considered for this wedding.

Is there a major event going on in royal world a day later that I’m forgetting? William also had a conflict, but given the situation, he decided to stay with the family event. They had an unusually long engagement for BRF. I’m sure if the Sussexes and Wessexes can find a day where everyone doesn’t have firm commitment and can attend the wedding on a Saturday, they can too.

Last edited:
Is there a major event going on in royal world a day later that I’m forgetting? William also had a conflict, but given the situation, he decided to stay with the family event. They had an unusually long engagement for BRF. I’m sure if the Sussexes and Wessexes can find a day where everyone doesn’t have firm commitment and can attend the wedding.

Longish engagement but the Queen is in Scotland for several months from sometime in July through early October. May and June were out as choices. Didn’t leave many options.
It doesn’t have to be a major event to conflict. It could be travel to a later engagement or any number of things. It could be something else scheduled in Windsor for Saturday.
Ssh-it’s a secret but Jack & Eugenie scheduled their wedding on Friday so I could enjoy it since I’ll be at my niece’s wedding on Saturday.?

Longish engagement but the Queen is in Scotland for several months from sometime in July through early October. May and June were out as choices. Didn’t leave many options.
It doesn’t have to be a major event to conflict. It could be travel to a later engagement or any number of things. It could be something else scheduled in Windsor for Saturday.
Ssh-it’s a secret but Jack & Eugenie scheduled their wedding on Friday so I could enjoy it since I’ll be at my niece’s wedding on Saturday.?

I’m well aware why they can’t have it in the summer. All jokes aside, what I talked about having a day later is nowhere near what you brought up. What I meant is the likelihood of family members having that Saturday free 10 months ahead of time is a lot more like than the normal 6 months.

I too am looking forward to a fine day for the wedding and to seeing Eugenie's tiara (probably her mother's) and gown. Also to all the pomp of a royal wedding, as occured in May with the Sussexes.

Just wondering though, as to whether there will be articles in the media, DM comments and debates elsewhere about this wedding. For instance, is there going to be criticism about the ballot system, or whether the 1,200 people on the grounds are going to be fed and watered on the day? Whether Windsor will be in lockdown as we were told in May, with police leave cancelled.

Is there going to be speculation about the cost of security (in May £30-40 million was mentioned) the price of the bridal gown featured in the tabloids, complete with wildly inflated figures?

I'll be interested to see whether there is the same level of criticism and hysteria in the media and elsewhere about the costs to taxpayers of this wedding, as there was in May.

I wonder if the “know their place” conversation will happen too? Another thing is it’s one thing for the public to foot the security bill for working royals, but why should they for private citizens at this scale?

1) Re the Friday vs Saturday debate, it is not unusual to see a British wedding to take place on a Friday. Unusual as it may seem for our friends from across the pond, most British people would not bat an eyelid at the thought. Even C&C were originally scheduled to get married on a Friday.

2) Re school children: IMO, great opportunity for the school children to watch and be a part of something quite interesting. A few hours out is hardly disruptive. If the school was not interested, the Head Teacher could have well declined the invitation

It seems that a significant number of children will be taken out of the local school. And it's very late in the term, which is quite unusual.

Late in the term? It will be close to half term. Its not that there are any major exams at that time of the year.

3) Re carriage ride: I am not sure it will be very disruptive. Not that I have seen the route, but I suspect it is a very short stretch on the high street, and then back within the castle precincts. That part of the high street is well used to these disruptions, so I am not overly concerned.

4) Policing costs for the carriage ride: There will be an increased police presence on the street, but I am not expecting a security presence any where near what the H&M wedding entailed. This will largely be due to the fact that Eugenie is that much further down the succession line and usually does not have any security detail with her. I have seen her around central London several times usually on her own.

Last edited:

There's already criticism about costs.

I've seen lots of comments from people griping that their taxes are paying for everything!

Also, many refuse to believe that Beatrice and Eugenie get no money from the Firm; they think it is simply kept quiet so as to not cause any outcry.

1) Re the Friday vs Saturday debate, it is not unusual to see a British wedding to take place on a Friday. Unusual as it may seem for our friends from across the pond, most British people would not bat an eyelid at the thought. Even C&C were originally scheduled to get married on a Friday.

2) Re school children: IMO, great opportunity for the school children to watch and be a part of something quite interesting. A few hours out is hardly disruptive. If the school was not interested, the Head Teacher could have well declined the invitation

Late in the term? It will be close to half term. Its not that there are any major exams at that time of the year.

3) Re carriage ride: I am not sure it will be very disruptive. Not that I have seen the route, but I suspect it is a very short stretch on the high street, and then back within the castle precincts. That part of the high street is well used to these disruptions, so I am not overly concerned.

4) Policing costs for the carriage ride: There will be an increased police presence on the street, but I am not expecting a security presence any where near what the H&M wedding entailed. This will largely be due to the fact that Eugenie is that much further down the succession line and usually does not have any security detail with her. I have seen her around central London several times usually on her own.

1) I'm well aware many British weddings take place on a weekday as oppose to weekend. I didn't have an issue with it when it was initially announced. The issue here is that the BRF has generally been considerate in recent times regarding disruption to public on a day where most people don't have it off. Charles and Camilla's blessing didn't include a carriage ride. The fact that it's the same route as Sophie and Edward, and they also saw a need to have it on a weekend is telling.

2) Again, this goes back to the weekday and weekend situation. It's just asking for problems where it could've easily been avoided.

3) The route is the same as Sophie and Edwards. Not quite as long as Meghan and Harry's, but the road closures and security forces will still be out. Again, Sophie and Edward saw it best to have it on a weekend as well as it will cause disruption when people wouldn't get the day off.

4) Eugenie might be able to go about her business in London alone, but this is turning into a public event. The security isn't just for her and Jack at this point, but also for the people that comes out. Every time there is a major gathering, the risk of an attack on members of the public heightens. And the question does come up if the public should pay for the security cost of this for a private individual. Even with working royals, there are upsets over it.

Look, I agree that the York girls are often mocked unfairly in the press, but this type of thing won't help. The decisions made for this wedding seems to be a step back to what the BRF has been trying to do. Which is be more understanding to the lives of everyday people who has to work for a living among other things. To revert back to what the BRF has been doing with weddings in recent years is not helping matters. If they wanted to have a public wedding, at least have the courtesy to do it on a weekend. If they wanted a private wedding, they can have it on any day of the week and it's no one's business other than them and their guests.

There's already criticism about costs.

I've seen lots of comments from people griping that their taxes are paying for everything!

Also, many refuse to believe that Beatrice and Eugenie get no money from the Firm; they think it is simply kept quiet so as to not cause any outcry.

I think the original poster meant if the papers will inflate numbers and fan the flame. And it's a fair discussion to have in terms if the public should pay for security of this scale for a carriage ride for a private citizen.

I imagine that Windsor, being the tourist destination that it is, doesn't find Saturday much different from Friday for many working people. The shops and restaurants are open the same on Saturday as they are on Friday. People who work 9-5 M-F forget that many, many people do not have their weekends off.

I'm not sure Edward and Sophie picked Saturday for their wedding as a need for the public.

I think interested people would be gathered in Windsor for the wedding even it they were not having a short carriage ride. Security would still be high.

Maybe more tourists come to Windsor Castle on Saturday than on Friday, so they wanted it available to be open. WC is closed Thursday Oct 11 and Friday Oct 12 because of the wedding. We don't actually know why Friday was chosen for the wedding.

I do find it interesting that those most critical of this wedding, for the most part, are not British and those defending it are.

Last edited:
I think it’s very important to remember that the schools aren’t just invited because they’re near the venue but because they were Eugenie’s schools. The children at those schools have probably heard stories about her time there, there could very well be faculty still who taught her, they’ll feel a connection to this wedding that goes beyond the usual interest in a royal wedding. She’s “their” princess.

And the same can be said for Windsor. She’s not one of the royals who simply comes to Windsor for Easter services and a handful of events through the year, Windsor was her home base throughout her childhood. So it may very well be that there has been a demonstrated interest from key locals that their community have an opportunity to be somehow involved.

Minus the carriage ride the the rest of the event is all happening behind castle walls and that's fine but this ride around the town will lead to a very big security bill. Sure there would be some police on the streets outside anyway but this will require a much heavier police presence both on the streets and in the upper parts of some of the buildings along the carriage route. I am British and there is a lot of anger among people regarding lack of funding for the health service and disability benefits etc. If the taxpayer ends up footing the bill for this part of the day it will not go down well and that's putting it VERY mildly.

Last edited:
I am British and there is a lot of anger among people regarding lack of funding for the health service and disability benefits etc. If the taxpayer ends up footing the bill for this part of the day it will not go down well and that's putting it VERY mildly.

The taxpayer will most likely foot the bill for the security but it is suspected to be much lower than that of Henry and Meghans bill which was apparently around the £20mil mark. You'll have the usual naysayers on DailyMail comments who moan about the cost of everything but I frankly can't think there's going to be out and out rage over the cost. Considering its a wedding and a happy occasion, we all love a royal wedding!

interesting that those most critical of this wedding, for the most part, are not British and those defending it are.

QUITE, why does it bother them, if it doesn't bother us, who [if ANYONE] will be 'inconvenienced'.. and paying the security costs ???

The taxpayer will most likely foot the bill for the security but it is suspected to be much lower than that of Henry and Meghans bill which was apparently around the £20mil mark. You'll have the usual naysayers on DailyMail comments who moan about the cost of everything but I frankly can't think there's going to be out and out rage over the cost. Considering its a wedding and a happy occasion, we all love a royal wedding!

That number was over inflated by the tabloids. That's the type of thing that we were talking about regarding tabloid reports of it. Will they go overboard and fan the flames of those that are simply against monarchy? And really, can anyone blame taxpayers if they are upset for having to pay for anything for someone that doesn't work for the Firm? Personally, I'm not going to get upset about it, but it's just something I've seen being commented on by Brits elsewhere. And I'm wondering who in their mind thought this all would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom