The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #861  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,003
A few months ago when certain details relating to Harry's wedding came out there were similar reactions. There will always be critics and defenders. In Eugenie's case, the defenders will say she is the granddaughter of the monarch and there is public interest in her, and the critics will say that she is too far down in the line of succession and not a working royal. In Harry's case, the were also cries of "needless extravagance," "optics" "not the heir" etc., and these criticism were defended as well.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but I think for the people who think that the BRF are a needless extravagance in and of themselves and / or the ones who dislike the Yorks and thinks this is just another one of their antics, yeah Eugenie's s wedding will become part of their arsenal, but overall I don't think that the BRF as a whole will suffer repercussions from the supposed excesses of Eugenie's wedding.
__________________

  #862  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I have no problem with a carriage ride or a big ceremony. So many people treat the York girls as hangers on but they're still 8th and 9th in line not 29th and the Queen's grandaughters. I don't mind the public involvement ballot either if people want to apply.

I guess if paid for with private money the 'extravaganza' is technically up to them but I definitely agree about the optics and press not ending up in their favour.
Here is the thing, if it’s entirely private event, that’s a different story. However, when they add the public component to a wedding that has had very little general public interest and the taxpayer have to pick up a tab in the millions, the optics just get worse and worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
A few months ago when certain details relating to Harry's wedding came out there were similar reactions. There will always be critics and defenders. In Eugenie's case, the defenders will say she is the granddaughter of the monarch and the critics will say that she is too far down in the line of succession and not a working royal. In Harry's case, the were also cries of "needless extravagance," "optics" "not the heir" etc. and these criticism were defended as well.


Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but I think for the people who think that the BRF are a needless extravagance in and of themselves and / or the ones who dislike the Yorks and thinks this is just another one of their antics, yeah Eugenie's s wedding will become part of their arsenal, but overall I don't think that the BRF as a whole will suffer repercussions from the supposed excesses of Eugenie's wedding.
The difference is Harry’s wedding drew cries from Republican groups like any other big royal event. But this goes a bit further with calls from MPs to have security cost picked up privately. Harry’s wedding was also about and toned down as a working royal’s wedding could get. And I think it is different when we are talking actual working royals versus non working royals. As much as some people like to differentiate, Eugenie is no different than the Phillips and Wessex children.
__________________

  #863  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The difference is Harry’s wedding drew cries from Republican groups like any other big royal event. But this goes a bit further with calls from MPs to have security cost picked up privately. Harry’s wedding was also about and toned down as a working royal’s wedding could get. And I think it is different when we are talking actual working royals versus non working royals. As much as some people like to differentiate, Eugenie is no different than the Phillips and Wessex children.

While I did not use the term republican groups, I did acknowledge that there are people out there who criticize anything BRF related. Of that ilk, I don't know why more credence should be given to those who criticize Eugenie's wedding than those who criticized Harry's wedding, other royal weddings, jubilees, key birthday celebrations, etc.

IMO the public component of Eugenie's wedding is not markedly different that the Phillips' weddings.

P.S.
I edited my comment to add in that there is public interest in Eugenie before I read your comment stating that there is little public interest in Eugenie. I disagree with that and while there may not be the same level of public interest in Eugenie as there is in William and Harry, there is public interest in her.
  #864  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Moose Jaw, Canada
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
While I did not use the term republican groups, I did acknowledge that there are people out there who criticize anything BRF related. I don't know why more credence should be given to those who criticize Eugenie's wedding than those who criticized the Harry's wedding, other royal weddings, jubilees, key birthday celebrations, etc.

IMO the public component of Eugenie's wedding is not markedly different that the Phillips' weddings.

P.S.
I edited my comment to add in that there is public interest in Eugenie before I read your comment stating that there is little public interest in Eugenie. I disagree with that and while there may not be the same level of public interest in Eugenie as there is in William and Harry, there is public interest in her.
The public component is different from the Phillips wedding because the Phillips took a carriage ride from the chapel I believe to frogmore house directly no tour around Windsor.
  #865  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,742
It is her wedding. She can do what she wants as they are privately paying for it. The security cost was always going to be there as it is a big crowd and the guest involved. Do I think the optics of the 2 day event might be shaky? Yes but the Yorks are judged anyways so might as well have your dream wedding.
  #866  
Old 09-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Here is the thing, if it’s entirely private event, that’s a different story. However, when they add the public component to a wedding that has had very little general public interest and the taxpayer have to pick up a tab in the millions, the optics just get worse and worse.
Millions? Which millions?
It is just grandma's place. Windsor Castle is guarded all year round. With or without Queen. With or without wedding. The ceremonials for Eugenie will be less than the annual Garter Day or a foreign official visit.

The famous bearskins are there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The music band is there, Eugenie or no Eugenie. The banqueting venue, the gold-, silver- and crystalware is there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The Royal Mews houses lots of borses and carriages, Eugenie or no Eugenie. Even the bridal diadem is there. Wedding or no wedding. The prize tag of "millions" is just way over the top and sucked out of very thick thumbs.
  #867  
Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
The public component is different from the Phillips wedding because the Phillips took a carriage ride from the chapel I believe to frogmore house directly no tour around Windsor.
I am aware of that but I don't consider that a significant difference. Furthermore I think that decisions regarding the length and path of the carriage rides for royal weddings are likely being made by royal event planners and not the couples and their immediate family.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
It is her wedding. She can do what she wants as they are privately paying for it. The security cost was always going to be there as it is a big crowd and the guest involved. Do I think the optics of the 2 day event might be shaky? Yes but the Yorks are judged anyways so might as well have your dream wedding.



  #868  
Old 09-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Millions? Which millions?
It is just grandma's place. Windsor Castle is guarded all year round. With or without Queen. With or without wedding. The ceremonials for Eugenie will be less than the annual Garter Day or a foreign official visit.

The famous bearskins are there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The music band is there, Eugenie or no Eugenie. The banqueting venue, the gold-, silver- and crystalware is there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The Royal Mews houses lots of borses and carriages, Eugenie or no Eugenie. Even the bridal diadem is there. Wedding or no wedding. The prize tag of "millions" is just way over the top and sucked out of very thick thumbs.
Not true that there isn't much difference. The security is different when they have screen the applicants and allow them onto the Windsor Castle ground compared to Peter's wedding. It's certainly is different when there is a public carriage ride, which is always the riskiest and most expensive part.
  #869  
Old 09-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Millions? Which millions?
It is just grandma's place. Windsor Castle is guarded all year round. With or without Queen. With or without wedding. The ceremonials for Eugenie will be less than the annual Garter Day or a foreign official visit.

The famous bearskins are there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The music band is there, Eugenie or no Eugenie. The banqueting venue, the gold-, silver- and crystalware is there. Eugenie or no Eugenie. The Royal Mews houses lots of borses and carriages, Eugenie or no Eugenie. Even the bridal diadem is there. Wedding or no wedding. The prize tag of "millions" is just way over the top and sucked out of very thick thumbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Not true that there isn't much difference. The security is different when they have screen the applicants and allow them onto the Windsor Castle ground compared to Peter's wedding. It's certainly is different when there is a public carriage ride, which is always the riskiest and most expensive part.
But that is public security. That is not different when Arsenal plays West Bromwich Albion. That is not different when U2 plays at Wembley. The princess and her guests have a risk profile. So be it. That is the same in any modern country. The Casiraghi-Borromeo wedding, not royal at all, just famous, needed the deployment of security as well. That's part of the game in any country where the public services are in charge of securit and have the monopoly on law enforcement.
  #870  
Old 09-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But that is public security. That is not different when Arsenal plays West Bromwich Albion. That is not different when U2 plays at Wembley. The princess and her guests have a risk profile. So be it. That is the same in any modern country. The Casiraghi-Borromeo wedding, not royal at all, just famous, needed the deployment of security as well. That's part of the game in any country where the public services are in charge of securit and have the monopoly on law enforcement.
There is a big difference than what normal security would be involved and this added on part. Of course security is on alert and tight when the entire royal family is in one place, but there should be some consideration for public cost in a private event for someone that is a private citizen. Arsenal and U2 do not have the same optics concern the BRF has.
  #871  
Old 09-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 282
Stupid question?

Why is it always people who are not UK citizens who keep poking their noses in UK financial matters in these forums.

There is a recurring pattern i have noticed.

They are the ones who wants to strim down the monarchy
Decide who should be HRH and styled princes or princesses of the UK
Who should have RPOs
who should live where
who should be titled
et al

Jesus let the British people deal with what belongs to them. Your taxes are not paying for it

If you want to have a say, petition your government to institute a monarchy and then as taxpayers you will have a say
  #872  
Old 09-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I have no problem with a carriage ride or a big ceremony. So many people treat the York girls as hangers on but they're still 8th and 9th in line not 29th and the Queen's grandaughters. I don't mind the public involvement ballot either if people want to apply.

I guess if paid for with private money the 'extravaganza' is technically up to them but I definitely agree about the optics and press not ending up in their favour.
The 9th in line is about the same as the 29th these days.

It does seem as if this wedding is OTT. It should be more like Peter Phillips, though I hope without the tacky elements like the sale to Hello! or People.
  #873  
Old 09-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
There is a big difference than what normal security would be involved and this added on part. Of course security is on alert and tight when the entire royal family is in one place, but there should be some consideration for public cost in a private event for someone that is a private citizen. Arsenal and U2 do not have the same optics concern the BRF has.

When it comes to having consideration for security costs, I don't think that's how the BRF rolls. They go on the vacations that they want, they have events where several high profile royals are present, etc. and leave it up to the Metropolitan Police and other organizations to figure out how to properly protect the royals and maintain order.
  #874  
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
When it comes to having consideration for security costs, I don't think that's how the BRF rolls. They go on the vacations that they want, they have events where several high profile royals are present, etc. and leave it up to the Metropolitan Police and other organizations to figure out how to properly protect the royals and maintain order.
That is indeed how it works. The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay and their son and daughter the Duke and Duchess of Sussex want to spend a week at the Castle of Mey? So be it. It is up to the authorities to ensure that these four high-profile royals can have an undisturbed week indeed.

Princess Eugenie wants to marry and her grandmother offers her residence in Windsor for the event? It is up to the authorities to consider possible security risks and handle these. It is not Princess Eugenie's problem. In an ideal world the local constable guides the traffic and the Princess has a carefree wedding, but already in mediaeval times security was needed. So be it.
  #875  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Can someone explain to me the issues of the reported Saturday event? It’s a private affair, on private land. I really don’t understand the issue with it.

I will also add that this is all hearsay and nothing is confirmed officially.

You only get married once, if The Queen isn’t saying no why should we?
only get married once? Hardly.....
  #876  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That is indeed how it works. The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay and their son and daughter The Earl and Countess of Dumbarton want to spend a week at the Castle of Mey? So be it. It is up to the authorities to ensure that these four high-profile royals can have an undisturbed week indeed.

Princess Eugenie wants to marry and her grandmother offers her residence in Windsor for the event? It is up to the authorities to consider possible security risks and handle these. It is not Princess Eugenie's problem. In an ideal world the local constable guides the traffic and the Princess has a carefree wedding, but already in mediaeval times security was needed. So be it.
I am petty, I know
  #877  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 70
Just read Princess Eugenie is going to have BIGGER wedding then Prince Harry. BRF just announce something and they'll automatically start comparing people to each other
  #878  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,916
The police has cars, and uniforms, and mobile radio, and dogs. There will be helicopters in the air. There will be motorcades to guide guests. But it is not specifically bought for Eugenie. The cars or the helicopters or the motorcades are deployed where it is needed. And on that day a few are directed to Windsor to assist at the Wedding. Was there no wedding, the helicopter was deployed somewhere else. The motorcades possibly guided an exceptional transport on the M1. The dogs were maybe used for crowd control at Chelsea FC.

Never believe the prize tag sucked out of editors' thumbs. Use your own common sense. The officer deployed at Eugenie's wedding gets his monthly pay. No matter he was that specific Saturday in Windsor, or in Knightsbridge, or in Swindon. It is just his roll call of the day. Nonsens to glue one day's wage of 100 officers on Eugenie's account. Without that wedding the same officers did something else for the same police budget. It are the democratically elected and controlled authorities who decide so. Not the bride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEmpath View Post
Just read Princess Eugenie is going to have BIGGER wedding then Prince Harry. BRF just announce something and they'll automatically start comparing people to each other
Source? The Daily Fail?
  #879  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
Stupid question?

Why is it always people who are not UK citizens who keep poking their noses in UK financial matters in these forums.

There is a recurring pattern i have noticed.

They are the ones who wants to strim down the monarchy
Decide who should be HRH and styled princes or princesses of the UK
Who should have RPOs
who should live where
who should be titled
et al

Jesus let the British people deal with what belongs to them. Your taxes are not paying for it

If you want to have a say, petition your government to institute a monarchy and then as taxpayers you will have a say



I comment often on royal titles and styles, not only of the British RF, but of other RFs as well, because it is a subject I happen to be interested in. The fact that I don't live in a European country doesn't mean that I cannot have a personal opinion on those matters,

The issue with the York wedding is, however, completely different IMHO. I might get in trouble for saying that, but it seems to me that there is a very active group of devout Meghan Markle fans on this forums and elsewhere who have the impression that there is some kind of "competition" going on between Harry/Meghan and Eugenie/Jack to see who gets the "biggest" wedding. Those fans then lash out at Eugenie for what they perceive as an attempt to outdo the Sussexes. On top of that, there is a lot of negative feelings on the part of some posters against Andrew and Sarah, whch spill over to their daughters. All of that is terribly unfair to the girls in my opinion.
  #880  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,003
I made a comment earlier about there being two opposition groups, one being those who consider the entire BRF a needless extravagance and those who dislike the Yorks, but after some additional thought (and reading) I determined that there is a third group, it is the subset of Sussex fandom who have issues with Eugenie's wedding not being sufficiently differentiated, or I should say downgraded, from Harry and Meghan's wedding.

If the information about Eugenie's wedding was exactly the same as what has been provided thus far, but Harry and Meghan got married in London with multiple carriages being driven through the city and an appearance on the Buckingham Palace balcony, IMO there would not be concerns about things like the added cost of Eugenie and Jack having a carriage ride through Windsor and not just from the church to the reception site.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engagement of Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank: January 22, 2018 JessRulz The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 228 03-15-2018 10:50 PM




Popular Tags
alqasimi althorp aristocracy armenia belgian royal family birthday celebration castles charles of wales chittagong clarence house crown crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crown princess victoria current events cyprus danish history denmark duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of cambridge duke of sussex dutch dutch history dutch royal family felipe vi foundation french revolution future genealogy general news germany henry v hill historical drama house of bourbon house of glucksburg house of saxe-coburg and gotha jumma languages lithuanian castles mail meghan markle memoir mohammed vi monaco christening monaco history naples nobel 2019 norway official visit palaces palestine prince charles prince harry prince of wales russian imperial family saudi arabia settings spain spanish history spencer family state visit sweden swedish royal family swedish royalty thai royal family tracts united kingdom usa


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×