The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I can see why there were complaints about the security costs.
A private party at a private royal property has nothing to do with security costs.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I can see why there were complaints about the security costs. A two day wedding event for the ninth in line to the throne? If Eugenie were a future queen regnant I could see a big to-do but it seems like compensating for no live broadcast of the wedding ceremony. And the festival? It's a type of party a Hollywood A or B lister would do. I hope pictures aren't sold to the tabloids like they were to Peter and Autumn's wedding.
While it may very well be possible, we aren't sure that the ceremony won't be live broadcasted. In fact, most of the royal correspondents that have spoken on the subject think it will be. In the second episode of ITV's Royal Rota, Emily Nash said there will be cameras inside the chapel.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow it sounds like a huge wedding mmm not sure if it boarders on too over the top. I see finger prints of Andrew and Fergie over this.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I can see why there were complaints about the security costs. A two day wedding event for the ninth in line to the throne? If Eugenie were a future queen regnant I could see a big to-do but it seems like compensating for no live broadcast of the wedding ceremony. And the festival? It's a type of party a Hollywood A or B lister would do. I hope pictures aren't sold to the tabloids like they were to Peter and Autumn's wedding.
I don't think it has anything really to do with the monarchy in and of itself but its more in line with the Queen's granddaughter getting married and two proud parents striving to give their daughter the wedding of her dreams. Its not being planned with the general public in mind or celebrity status as a guideline but a wedding and festivities to celebrate Eugenie and Jack's marriage.

They are going to include the general public to a degree and it won't be surprising if "celebrities" are invited to attend the festivities because the York family knows them personally.

This wedding is being planned and executed according to how the bride and groom and their families wish it to be. No more, no less. From the article posted up thread a wee bit, even the Thames Valley Police department seem to be happily anticipating the event and will do a right proper job of what they're expected to do.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Heir Apparent

To me it sounds like the wedding Eugenie and Beatrice regularly attend on the Continent. A two-day afair seems to be the norm. And even more so when they have destination weddings, which I guess for many guests from abroad this will be one.
I donít really care how many private parties they have since we donít see any photos and they are privately paid.

Iím really curious to see the guest list, Eugenie has been to some high profile weddings over the years.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post

No expense is being spared on the flowers at St.George Chapel.
Well, Jackís father is in the florist business....
Old 09-09-2018, 02:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
While it may very well be possible, we aren't sure that the ceremony won't be live broadcasted. In fact, most of the royal correspondents that have spoken on the subject think it will be. In the second episode of ITV's Royal Rota, Emily Nash said there will be cameras inside the chapel.
They implied more it would be streamed not aired on TV. That was the impression I got from watching it. I would like it to be on BBC though. Maybe they will work it out but I did notice how reluctant they were to say it would be aired live and they work for ITV and would know. I recall the Australian reporter saying it was not airing there.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Majesty

Extravaganaza? Sounds like a Fergie word. I hope they have a happy marriage, not a big fancy wedding
Old 09-09-2018, 09:53 PM
Gentry

I really wonder if it's just the 400, that are invited to the wedding dinner, are the only ones invited to the day after party?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Well, Jackís father is in the florist business....
What is the florist company that Jack's father own? Could this business do Eugenie's royal wedding flowers?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
What is the florist company that Jack's father own? Could this business do Eugenie's royal wedding flowers?
Jack’s father George is the director of a large London florist-Pulbrook & Gould.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
To me it sounds like the wedding Eugenie and Beatrice regularly attend on the Continent. A two-day afair seems to be the norm.
A major reason for the 'two-day' affairs on the continent is that, in many countries, they have to have a civil ceremony and so have the religious ceremony the next day.

That isn't the British way at all.

The idea of a two day celebration really does show how out of touch with Britain and the British people Eugenie is where the norm is a one day event.

A 'destination wedding' is where the bride and groom have to go to a 'destination' as well - not one where some of the invitees have to go. This is a minor royal putting on a show as if she is somehow an important royal and not understanding that the world, and especially Britain, has moved on from the 1960s when every HRH had a televised ceremony. Even in the 1970s that had gone by the wayside. She is currently 9th in the line of succession. When the Duke of Gloucester married he was 10th - no thought of anything being televised then - the family had moved on but Andrew and his daughters are stuck in the days when the public bowed down to anyone with a title.

The Queen should be putting her foot down and saying 'no'. You can have St Georges and a reception but not two days and no carriage ride - you aren't important enough for that.

Allowing this extravagance isn't going to do the family any good at all.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, if she wanted a private wedding, I think she can have whatever she want and everyone else have no room to comment. However, when they added in a public component to it, I do think it adds public opinion, and not in a good way. There hasn't been much publicity related to this wedding at all, and the most media it gets is how much it'll cost the taxpayers, after that comes how extravagant it’ll be. Definitely not a good look. This wedding, if handled right, could've been a really good reflection on the York family, but I think it'll unfortunately just confirm the worst of what the public thinks of them based on the information we have so far. This is really unusual for the BRF.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:51 AM
Courtier

I have no problem with a carriage ride or a big ceremony. So many people treat the York girls as hangers on but they're still 8th and 9th in line not 29th and the Queen's grandaughters. I don't mind the public involvement ballot either if people want to apply.

I guess if paid for with private money the 'extravaganza' is technically up to them but I definitely agree about the optics and press not ending up in their favour.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

They are Princesses of the blood royal. It is their choice how to marry. It is not their choice to broadcast it or not. If the BBC can broadcast how poodles are brushed at Cruft's, they can broadcast a royal wedding too.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Can someone explain to me the issues of the reported Saturday event? Itís a private affair, on private land. I really donít understand the issue with it.

I will also add that this is all hearsay and nothing is confirmed officially.

You only get married once, if The Queen isnít saying no why should we?
Old 09-10-2018, 05:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Can someone explain to me the issues of the reported Saturday event? Itís a private affair, on private land. I really donít understand the issue with it.

I have to agree with you. Firstly, the Saturday party is only heresay, there is no confirmation that it will indeed happy.

Secondly, if it is funded privately, why is it anybody else's business?
Old 09-10-2018, 05:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

The optics are important.

There are many British people who don't understand how the BRF are funded and will see this as simply an extravagance with their money - thanks to the media and social media sites that peddle their misinformation about where the BRF's money comes from.

The PR is wrong.

If Eugenie was just the daughter of say the Duke of Westminster or Marlborough no one would care how extravagant she was but this is the BRF and they need to think about the PR and the way the public view things.

This wedding is seen as over the top by many in the media and thus the general public, even worse when it is one of the Yorks. It is like the huge numbers appearing on the balcony for Trooping - people believe they are all supported by the public purse because they don't understand how it works.

The BRF is being badly advised on this situation and regardless of how the wedding is being paid for they have to look at the optics and how that will go over.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Serene Highness

A few months ago when certain details relating to Harry's wedding came out there were similar reactions. There will always be critics and defenders. In Eugenie's case, the defenders will say she is the granddaughter of the monarch and there is public interest in her, and the critics will say that she is too far down in the line of succession and not a working royal. In Harry's case, the were also cries of "needless extravagance," "optics" "not the heir" etc., and these criticism were defended as well.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but I think for the people who think that the BRF are a needless extravagance in and of themselves and / or the ones who dislike the Yorks and thinks this is just another one of their antics, yeah Eugenie's s wedding will become part of their arsenal, but overall I don't think that the BRF as a whole will suffer repercussions from the supposed excesses of Eugenie's wedding.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I have no problem with a carriage ride or a big ceremony. So many people treat the York girls as hangers on but they're still 8th and 9th in line not 29th and the Queen's grandaughters. I don't mind the public involvement ballot either if people want to apply.

I guess if paid for with private money the 'extravaganza' is technically up to them but I definitely agree about the optics and press not ending up in their favour.
Here is the thing, if itís entirely private event, thatís a different story. However, when they add the public component to a wedding that has had very little general public interest and the taxpayer have to pick up a tab in the millions, the optics just get worse and worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
A few months ago when certain details relating to Harry's wedding came out there were similar reactions. There will always be critics and defenders. In Eugenie's case, the defenders will say she is the granddaughter of the monarch and the critics will say that she is too far down in the line of succession and not a working royal. In Harry's case, the were also cries of "needless extravagance," "optics" "not the heir" etc. and these criticism were defended as well.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but I think for the people who think that the BRF are a needless extravagance in and of themselves and / or the ones who dislike the Yorks and thinks this is just another one of their antics, yeah Eugenie's s wedding will become part of their arsenal, but overall I don't think that the BRF as a whole will suffer repercussions from the supposed excesses of Eugenie's wedding.
The difference is Harryís wedding drew cries from Republican groups like any other big royal event. But this goes a bit further with calls from MPs to have security cost picked up privately. Harryís wedding was also about and toned down as a working royalís wedding could get. And I think it is different when we are talking actual working royals versus non working royals. As much as some people like to differentiate, Eugenie is no different than the Phillips and Wessex children.

Closed Thread