The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Because we have just had one medium sized royal wedding, and that's IMO enough. Why on earth should I offer to pay for Andrew's daughters' wedding security?
Because she's also a granddaughter of the Queen, currently 9th in line to the throne? She's getting a similar wedding to PP&AK and E&S. No matter now many people try to make out that the York sisters are "Royal hangers on", they aren't, even if they aren't working royals (full time). Eugenie has patronages and causes she has a personal stake in and she is passionate about.

Seriously, Andrew couldn't dictate anything that HM wouldn't sign off on for the wedding. It's not as if she demanded the Abbey based on a "qualifying connection".

Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEmpath View Post
I saw the news about the wedding. Some people say that the wedding isn't hyped up like Harry's cause It's a Princess' wedding, not a prince'. I thought does the gender of the person getting married still matters in The Royal family where sons are preferred over daughters?
Actually it has absolutely nothing to do with gender. Prince Harry's wedding was more hyped up and more of a public event because basically, Harry is a more senior royal than Eugenie is as his father is next in line to be monarch. Harry also is a full fledged working royal for the family's "Firm".

Eugenie is not a senior royal nor does she work for the "Firm" and is therefore considered more of a private citizen.

Both Harry and Eugenie are equal though in that they are both grandchildren of the Queen.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Only because we the tax payers have no choice..

Unfortunately all taxpayers world wide have little choice most of the time as to how their taxes are used. We are going to pay here for presidents to take their vacations and their security for they and their family etc no matter who they are or what party they are in.

LaRae
Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
So, really looking at this logically, the taxpayers would pay the same amount that's doled out by the government for security whether or not this royal wedding happened. Its not like the extra security for Eugenie and Jack's wedding is going to increase the amount of taxes a person pays. Right?
Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe the could sell the rights to Hello or Ok like Peter Phillips did but give the money to pay for security. Being very tongue in cheek of course but actually maybe they should.

Of course the state will pay for security, I personally think it will be on a lower level than for Harry and Meghans wedding and not cost as much in security. Its poor timing in some ways as M&H's wedding is so fresh in everyones mind and he is higher up the line of succession so people are wondering why the State should also pay for Eugenie's when she is, to all intensive purposes a private individual. Had Eugenie's wedding been next year or even the year after people wouldn't be as hyped up at the cost.

As much as there were comments over the cost of Zara's wedding the fact it seemed more low-key - she wore an off the rack gown for example - and involved the bare minimum public exposure combined with Zara being less known yet more popular meant the public were't as bothered by it.

To me they made a mistake in including a carriage ride, it makes it appear more ostentatious, more regal and public than it needs to be, thats my opinion.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Chris Ship from ITV has a new royal series called "Royal Rota" where they discuss many topics and with various correspondents. Today was the premiere and the Yorks were a topic.

One correspondent is from Australia and explained they were not airing it live but were sending some reporters over to cover it. Chris says there is now talks to allow some cameras inside? So maybe we might get some footage to air later.

Here is it. Starts around 23 mins (should play right at the point).

Old 08-22-2018, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

It sounds like individual networks are going to make the decisions if it's smart cost wise to televise the wedding, particularly if interest is low. I can people getting upset - two royal weddings on a grand scale five months apart.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Because we have just had one medium sized royal wedding, and that's IMO enough. Why on earth should I offer to pay for Andrew's daughters' wedding security?

IMHO they will use money brought in from the Crown Estate to pay for it. The Crown Estate used to belong 100% to the monarch and his family, but was given to the government, so the people did not have to pay so much taxtes. The queen and her family only get about 20% of the annual revenue, the rest goes to the government. Considering how much that is constantly, spending money on security for a wedding where the bride and groom are not responsible for the risk they are under is the least the government can do.

So no taypayer has to pay anything for that wedding, they just don't get as much finacial support from the Crown as they get normally.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt that would happen as it would set a precedence for other royal events in the future. The current norm is that security costs are met by the relevant police force or the MetPolice (protection officers etc) with the local council paying for any other indirect security costs.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Chris Ship from ITV has a new royal series called "Royal Rota" where they discuss many topics and with various correspondents. Today was the premiere and the Yorks were a topic.

One correspondent is from Australia and explained they were not airing it live but were sending some reporters over to cover it. Chris says there is now talks to allow some cameras inside? So maybe we might get some footage to air later.

Here is it. Starts around 23 mins (should play right at the point).

Isn't that what they did for Edward and Sophie? No live broadcast, but some special clips later?

I am sure we will see some foreign correspondents, but it won't be the hysteria that surrounded the Sussex and Cambridge weddings, which is probably a good thing. I love the Sussex couple but the wedding coverage and mania that lasted MONTHS nearly did me in. There is none of that with this wedding, thankfully.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Because she's also a granddaughter of the Queen, currently 9th in line to the throne? She's getting a similar wedding to PP&AK and E&S. No matter now many people try to make out that the York sisters are "Royal hangers on", they aren't, even if they aren't working royals (full time). Eugenie has patronages and causes she has a personal stake in and she is passionate about.
Eugenie is NOT having a wedding similar to Peter Phillips. I don't think there would be much fuss if she was having a wedding like Peter's and kept the cost to public at a minimum. Peter's wedding didn't involved security that would be needed to let people onto the grounds of Windsor Castle and securing the town for a carriage ride on public street. Edward is a child of a monarch, so he's not on the same footing as Eugenie. While he and Sophie were expected to keep their private jobs, they were part time working royals. They did tours and carried out engagements on behalf of HMQ. Even the year Sophie almost died giving birth to Louise, she carried out well over 100 engagements plus running her own company.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Isn't that what they did for Edward and Sophie? No live broadcast, but some special clips later?

I am sure we will see some foreign correspondents, but it won't be the hysteria that surrounded the Sussex and Cambridge weddings, which is probably a good thing. I love the Sussex couple but the wedding coverage and mania that lasted MONTHS nearly did me in. There is none of that with this wedding, thankfully.
No they had a live broadcast for their wedding. I think around 200 million are said to have watched it.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I think CNN covered E&S's wedding. Although, they are an international news station, so I don't know how that was handled in US. I know Anderson Cooper covered it, but he was not at the level he is today. I'm not hearing that for this wedding. In fact, I don't believe any stations in US would be clearing their regularly scheduled programs. The Aussie guy did say they often have to remind people who Eugenie is. Even Chris Ship has said they'll cover it as news, but that's different than dedicating hours of air time to it and preempt anything else during that period.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I think CNN covered E&S's wedding. Although, they are an international news station, so I don't know how that was handled in US. I know Anderson Cooper covered it, but he was not at the level he is today. I'm not hearing that for this wedding. In fact, I don't believe any stations in US would be clearing their regularly scheduled programs. The Aussie guy did say they often have to remind people who Eugenie is. Even Chris Ship has said they'll cover it as news, but that's different than dedicating hours of air time to it and preempt anything else during that period.
I'm not quite sure, I've only heard in the U.S. that BBC America did. Anyways, I'm not surprised it may only be covered as news. Even I, as someone who likes B and E, understand and recognize they are definitely not as popular as W and H so while there may be interest it isn't concentrated enough to cover the wedding for 4 1/2 hours. But I do think there will be more coverage than Peter and Zara's just because of the differences we have already seen.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post

The Wessex wedding was very much broadcasted live globally. NBC and FOX aired it for sure. Saw videos of their coverage online.

I would never expect Eugenie's wedding to have media attention on that scale. I mean the correspondent said a lot don't even know who she is when first mentioned. It is no dig but I am sure many wouldn't be able to tell the sisters apart outside the UK. So, no I never expected some big thing.

I am glad that there are talks of cameras though. In the UK there should be decent coverage. The atmosphere is overall positive due to the wedding and births. This will add on to it. People want something to feel good about. So I am glad she getting good press for her wedding.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, also add in the fact that slow news days just don’t seem to exist anymore. It’s going to take more than lukewarm interest at best from their audience for them to spend the resources if they can get higher ratings at home. Edward was a son of the Queen and carried out a decent amount of engagements on behalf of his mother even if he pursued a private career as well. However, Eugenie is, for practical purposes, a private individual.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The Wessex wedding was very much broadcasted live globally. NBC and FOX aired it for sure. Saw videos of their coverage online.
I'm in Canada and I watched Edward and Sophie's wedding live on TV. I think it must have been on CBC as we didn't get the other channels. It was definitely fully broadcasted, from arrival of the guests to the ceremony inside the chapel.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
I'm not quite sure, I've only heard in the U.S. that BBC America did.
Quote:
Absolutely it was not just on BBC America-I watched the Wessex wedding live and we have only had BBC America for the last 10 years or so.

Quote:
I don't think there would be much fuss if she was having a wedding like Peter's and kept the cost to public at a minimum. Peter's wedding didn't involved security that would be needed ....
As far as Security for Peter Philips wedding--it was also during a slow time in terrorist activity. There were only 2 terrorist incidents in Britain during the 2000s after 2001. There have been 8 terrorist incidents, several in crowds with multiple deaths, since 2013. Heightened security is the norm.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well, also add in the fact that slow news days just don’t seem to exist anymore. It’s going to take more than lukewarm interest at best from their audience for them to spend the resources if they can get higher ratings at home. Edward was a son of the Queen and carried out a decent amount of engagements on behalf of his mother even if he pursued a private career as well. However, Eugenie is, for practical purposes, a private individual.
I'm not sure that Edward was really much better known to the general public than Eugenie. The general public saw very little of any work he did on behalf of the Queen. Much like now, he got very scant coverage.

I think "Princess' is still going to garner some interest--especially with the bonus of William & Kate and Harry & Meghan, and probable celebrities will be attending.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

It was definitely shown in Australia live. My mother and I watched it together - as we did all royal events until she died.

Closed Thread