The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Peter is not a royal. Eugenie on the other hand is. It makes sense that her wedding should be more of a public event than Peter's .
I know he's not a royal, I simply confirmed a point that RoyalHighness seemed unsure on.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Majesty

Put Peter is also a grandchild of the Queen (moreover, the firstborn one).

Old 08-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I wonder if anyone realizes here that we've spent far more time talking about the cost of a short carriage ride through Windsor than the actual carriage ride is going to take. How long will things be "disrupted"? 20-30 minutes?

People are going to show up in Windsor on the wedding day most likely carriage ride or no carriage ride most likely. With this line of thinking, I'm inclined to believe that the security would be put into place even if there wasn't a carriage ride to begin with.

Why would people turn up if there was nothing to see?

If the wedding was confined to the ground of the castle there would be no need for security around the town as there would be no people there to see when there would be nothing happening.

On Garter Day there was no more police in the town than on other days from what I could see as there was nothing for people in the town to see. There were about 5000 people in the grounds to watch and as we left I saw hardly anyone even go into the local shops as we hotfooted it to the station to get on the train (of course some people would have gone into the shops as I did myself - I said to one of the local shopkeepers that they must benefit from such days and he said that Garter Day was the slowest day in the year as no tourists came and those that went to the Garter Ceremony didn't shop in the town - they arrived, queued, went into the castle, maybe bought a souvenir on the Windsor Castle shops and left - which was the same thing I was told by those who were regulars at the Garter ceremony - bring their lunches from home and not buy anything locally).

Having the carriage ride through the streets will help the local businesses as people will shop - maybe.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why would people turn up if there was nothing to see?
Why did people turn up to see prince Louis christening? There was nothing to see.

Quote:
On Garter Day there was no more police in the town than on other days from what I could see as there was nothing for people in the town to see.
How did you recognize non-uniformed security officers?
How did you evaluate level of the area's monitoring via electronic security systems?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Why did people turn up to see prince Louis christening? There was nothing to see.
There was - the royal family were visible. When events are inside the grounds of Windsor Castle only the only those inside the grounds can see the royals not those outside in the streets of Windsor.

Quote:
How did you recognize non-uniformed security officers?
How did you evaluate level of the area's monitoring via electronic security systems?
I obviously wasn't referring to them. They would have been there of course. It is sometimes also easy to spot them - if you know what you are looking for such as a telltale bulge hiding a weapon and the earwigs allowing communication that isn't via a mobile.

I was obviously referring to the visible security which was no higher at the Garter Ceremony than on a normal day visiting the castle - full security check at airport level to enter the grounds in the first place with uniformed cops wandering around whereas at the Garter Ceremony they were on the roads only and not on the grass areas where the viewers were.

If there is no chance of seeing a royal people want wait around in the streets outside the castle - at St James' the entrance to the Chapel Royal is visible from the streets so people can gather to see the royals attending the christening. At the Garter Ceremony there are no crowds in the streets outside Windsor as there is nothing to see as everything takes place out of the line of sight of those outside the castle.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I suspect the costs will be much less for this wedding than M&H. This is not a major national event so policing will be less. They will of course protect senior royals and protect the public but the crowds will not be anywhere near as big as they were for M&H wedding so that means less to police and the route is different - Meghan drove all the way into Windsor from her hotel.
Zara and Mike's wedding cost the police in Edinburgh around £400,000 so I don't see why this would be massively more, even with a carriage ride it can be ten times as much.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
There was - the royal family were visible. When events are inside the grounds of Windsor Castle only the only those inside the grounds can see the royals not those outside in the streets of Windsor.
There will be a lot of royal arrivals: royals from London, Eugenie and Andrew from Royal Lodge, etc. So it will be the same situation.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:15 AM
Royal Highness

There are still gripes about the cost of security for the wedding and the cost is due to Andrew

https://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/h...-wedd/3499226/
Old 08-22-2018, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
There are still gripes about the cost of security for the wedding and the cost is due to Andrew

https://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/h...-wedd/3499226/
Andrew can not dictate what security measures are undertaken so that part is a bunch of nonsense. And Eugenie and Jack should be able to invite whomever they’d like even if those people are celebrities that causes security to be heightened.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:22 AM
Aristocracy

Do you think the Royal mint will release a coin for the wedding?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_enthusiast View Post
Do you think the Royal mint will release a coin for the wedding?
No, I don’t.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Andrew can not dictate what security measures are undertaken so that part is a bunch of nonsense. And Eugenie and Jack should be able to invite whomever they’d like even if those people are celebrities that causes security to be heightened.
Then Andrew could pay for extra security..
Old 08-22-2018, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Sure, you and I could also offer to pay the costs. Or anybody else. But it is the state's responsibility to secure both public events as members of the royal family. Why members are so focused on the state foregoing their responsibilities remains a mystery to me. And why it is only an issue at this wedding and not at previous British (semi-)royal weddings is another one.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Sure, you and I could also offer to pay the costs. Or anybody else. But it is the state's responsibility to secure both public events as members of the royal family. Why members are so focused on the state foregoing their responsibilities remains a mystery to me. And why it is only an issue at this wedding and not at previous British (semi-)royal weddings is another one.
Because we have just had one medium sized royal wedding, and that's IMO enough. Why on earth should I offer to pay for Andrew's daughters' wedding security?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Majesty

The wedding will have come and gone and people will be saying Andrew should pay security.

It’s the State’s responsibility and the state will pay.

This week’s Hello Canada has a countdown to the royal wedding special and the Mayor of Windsor is interviewed.

He says they’re looking very much forward to it and there’s already a buzz in the community.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Majesty

Only because we the tax payers have no choice..
Old 08-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

I’d like to see the royal YouTube used to broadcast the wedding.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-22-2018, 02:24 PM
Majesty

Its not a public wedding.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Gentry

I saw the news about the wedding. Some people say that the wedding isn't hyped up like Harry's cause It's a Princess' wedding, not a prince'. I thought does the gender of the person getting married still matters in The Royal family where sons are preferred over daughters?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its not a public wedding.
Well, I think they’re in discussions with the media on coverage. It would be beautiful for them to use the YouTube channel for coverage.

A.W. TOZER
Closed Thread