Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Expectation have changed over time
Sorry I meant in regards to their weddings, not their titles.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry I meant in regards to their weddings, not their titles.
I was talking about the general treatment regarding members of the royal family and in general weddings are part of that trend. In the 80s, it'd be unthinkable for a grandchild from a male line of the monarch to not be titled, but today it's not the case at all. In the 80s, it'd also be difficult to imagine Harry would get married at St. George's rather than Westminster Abbey like Andrew and Fergie did. While the monarchy remains popular (partly due to the changes that's been made to be more understanding to the working folks), the York family general doesn't seem to be with the public (I'm not here to debate whether it's fair or not, but it is the way it is). So the public actually has less tolerance for certain things than with a royal that is closer to the throne and popular.

For their own good, I hope this is televised or livestreamed, and NOT sold to Hello. I think they'll take some hits for the cost as it is. If they tried to benefit out of it financially, that's just going to be a nightmare.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

There is no reason at all to expect this wedding to be sold to Hello.

Furthermore, security costs would probably be higher on Saturday than on Friday. As others explained, Saturday is the more busy day in Windsor, so it could be even seen as very considerate that they picked a Friday. Fewer people will be inconvenienced: the ones who are interested in the royal wedding will make sure to be in Windsor and others will be at home or at work when the carriage ride is taking place. I don't expect them to pick rush hour (if Windsor even has such a thing) for their carriage ride...
Old 07-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The carriage ride is common knowledge and I have seen no backlash as of yet.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

So -if I understand it correctly- the difference between the weddings of Peter Phillips and Pss Eugenie s the length of the carriage ride? And for some reason that is a great outrage that will bring about the downfall of the monarchy? It seems rather far-fetched to me.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
So -if I understand it correctly- the difference between the weddings of Peter Phillips and Pss Eugenie s the length of the carriage ride? And for some reason that is a great outrage that will bring about the downfall of the monarchy? It seems rather far-fetched to me.
If I understand it correctly, the main differences are:
1. The carriage ride is taking place in Windsor itself rather than on the private grounds between the castle en Frogmore.
2. The wedding is on Friday instead of Saturday

I personally don't see the problem and do see the difference between a non-royal grandchild of the queen getting married and a royal highness (who would have been the future (royal) duke of York had she been a boy) getting married but some lump them all in the same category of 'other grandchildren - not by the prince of Wales'.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Eugenie's wedding is seemingly bigger than Peter's and more on the scale of Edward's except that it is not televised. It have no issue with it. It is what it is. People will complain regardless so might as well let Eugenie have her day.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Nobility

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...social_twitter
This Vanity Fair article seems to have an 'inside source' helping them with content, but knowing that magazine and their reputability, a lot of what they said may still be true. It seems a televised service is still being discussed, which I understand, it seems like they worded the broadcast portion of the recent release very carefully IMO.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...social_twitter
This Vanity Fair article seems to have an 'inside source' helping them with content, but knowing that magazine and their reputability, a lot of what they said may still be true. It seems a televised service is still being discussed, which I understand, it seems like they worded the broadcast portion of the recent release very carefully IMO.
Vanity Fair's online articles aren't any better than some of the tabloids, TBH. They have a different standard for the print version and their in-depth analysis portions. And this is by Katie Nicholl. Do I need to say anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
No one said anything about bringing down the monarchy. Just that this isn't going to go over too well. And especially not for the perception of the York family.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Majesty

Rebecca English was asked about television and she said it hasn’t been decided. There’s still hope for royal watchers.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

It will be interesting to see the coverage for it if it is televised. It is not cheap which is why many stations don't unless they feel they will make a profit from it. I would like it to be but I am not expecting a whole lot.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Majesty

After Harry and Meghan's wedding, the Thames Valley police stated that the security bill was likely to be around the £3 million pounds mark. Tabloids had placed it at around £30 million. If that's not wildly inflated I don't know what is!

Tabloids, read by millions of Britons, are likely to also tot up lists of prices (also inflated) for the flowers, wine, party, food, entertainment etc, if they follow what they printed in May, inflaming readers, as that is their intention, who may well be struggling financially.

As for Eugenie's gown, is it going to be £250,000, which is what Meghan's gown was priced at, according to the DM guesstimate? Because, if it is, considering that the York family is not very popular, that's likely to pile on the ill will as well. Times have changed and people aren't as tolerant of what is regarded as extravagances by an extremely wealthy royal family.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Let's face it. No matter what Eugenie and Jack decided to do with their wedding, there will always be those that look for *any* excuse to jump on the complaint bandwagon. If they had decided to have a simple destination wedding to Necker Island at the behest of Sir Richard Branson, there would be a huge hue and cry that a British princess should have a traditional full blown British wedding with all the British traditions, pomp and ceremony. They were just not in any kind of a position to win no matter what they decided on.

I think most likely Eugenie and Jack went into all the planning for the wedding with their eyes wide open, the approval and consent by HM, The Queen and the happiness and joy of both sets of parents. The rest is just noise.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Let's face it. No matter what Eugenie and Jack decided to do with their wedding, there will always be those that look for *any* excuse to jump on the complaint bandwagon. If they had decided to have a simple destination wedding to Necker Island at the behest of Sir Richard Branson, there would be a huge hue and cry that a British princess should have a traditional full blown British wedding with all the British traditions, pomp and ceremony. They were just not in any kind of a position to win no matter what they decided on.

I think most likely Eugenie and Jack went into all the planning for the wedding with their eyes wide open, the approval and consent by HM, The Queen and the happiness and joy of both sets of parents. The rest is just noise.
Honestly, if she went off to Neckers Island, I doubt anyone would care except for the Queen not being there and what Kate and Meghan are wearing. Of all the royal reporters/photographers I follow, only about a handful tweeted or even just retweeted the Royal Family tweet about this.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Honestly, if she went off to Neckers Island, I doubt anyone would care except for the Queen not being there and what Kate and Meghan are wearing. Of all the royal reporters/photographers I follow, only about a handful tweeted or even just retweeted the Royal Family tweet about this.
I saw them all retweeting the info. It is August. The closer I am sure there will be more talk. The royalist will come out as they always do. I don't expect the same kind of hype but people will be interested especially as it nears.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I saw them all retweeting the info. It is August. The closer I am sure there will be more talk. The royalist will come out as they always do. I don't expect the same kind of hype but people will be interested especially as it nears.
Last I checked, Roya Nikkhah, Richard Palmer, Emily Andrews, Camilla Tominey, Arthur Edwards, and a number of others all have not. And they usually are on top of royal news.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Last I checked, Roya Nikkhah, Richard Palmer, Emily Andrews, Camilla Tominey, and Arthur Edwards all have not. And they usually are on top of royal news.
Well I stand corrected. I saw it posted a few times. I didn't go check them all. That said, nothing I said changes. It is not even August. People will get more into it closer to the date. Not seeing what the issue is. *shrugs*

Do you Eugenie.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Indeed. A destination wedding would surely be something that all the critics would jump on: how dare a British princess do such a thing (and of course, she won't!)

Of course everyone knows that the wedding won't be as big as Harry and Meghan's, so if the couple and family are happy with the arrangements and they make sure that the British public can at least join the joyful occasion in some way, I'd say they do an excellent job.

For comparison: the Dutch king's Van Vollenhoven cousins' weddings were all televised (by NOS - comparable to the BBC) and the younger two of them lost their place in the line of succession upon that same marriage (not because their marriage was considered problematic but because they weren't considered needed - and a consented marriage would require legislation, so they decided not to bother); so they were not expected to play a role in 'the firm' but still the people enjoyed watching their wedding.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Do you believe that Prince Philip will attend the wedding?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Do you believe that Prince Philip will attend the wedding?
If he is able to, I assume so. It's in Windsor, so quite easy for him to attend (and he managed to be in the same room as Sarah at Harry's wedding, so they got that out of the way as well).

Closed Thread