The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Longish engagement but the Queen is in Scotland for several months from sometime in July through early October. May and June were out as choices. Didn’t leave many options.
It doesn’t have to be a major event to conflict. It could be travel to a later engagement or any number of things. It could be something else scheduled in Windsor for Saturday.
Ssh-it’s a secret but Jack & Eugenie scheduled their wedding on Friday so I could enjoy it since I’ll be at my niece’s wedding on Saturday.
I’m well aware why they can’t have it in the summer. All jokes aside, what I talked about having a day later is nowhere near what you brought up. What I meant is the likelihood of family members having that Saturday free 10 months ahead of time is a lot more like than the normal 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I too am looking forward to a fine day for the wedding and to seeing Eugenie's tiara (probably her mother's) and gown. Also to all the pomp of a royal wedding, as occured in May with the Sussexes.

Just wondering though, as to whether there will be articles in the media, DM comments and debates elsewhere about this wedding. For instance, is there going to be criticism about the ballot system, or whether the 1,200 people on the grounds are going to be fed and watered on the day? Whether Windsor will be in lockdown as we were told in May, with police leave cancelled.

Is there going to be speculation about the cost of security (in May £30-40 million was mentioned) the price of the bridal gown featured in the tabloids, complete with wildly inflated figures?

I'll be interested to see whether there is the same level of criticism and hysteria in the media and elsewhere about the costs to taxpayers of this wedding, as there was in May.
I wonder if the “know their place” conversation will happen too? Another thing is it’s one thing for the public to foot the security bill for working royals, but why should they for private citizens at this scale?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:06 AM
Majesty

1) Re the Friday vs Saturday debate, it is not unusual to see a British wedding to take place on a Friday. Unusual as it may seem for our friends from across the pond, most British people would not bat an eyelid at the thought. Even C&C were originally scheduled to get married on a Friday.

2) Re school children: IMO, great opportunity for the school children to watch and be a part of something quite interesting. A few hours out is hardly disruptive. If the school was not interested, the Head Teacher could have well declined the invitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
It seems that a significant number of children will be taken out of the local school. And it's very late in the term, which is quite unusual.
Late in the term? It will be close to half term. Its not that there are any major exams at that time of the year.

3) Re carriage ride: I am not sure it will be very disruptive. Not that I have seen the route, but I suspect it is a very short stretch on the high street, and then back within the castle precincts. That part of the high street is well used to these disruptions, so I am not overly concerned.

4) Policing costs for the carriage ride: There will be an increased police presence on the street, but I am not expecting a security presence any where near what the H&M wedding entailed. This will largely be due to the fact that Eugenie is that much further down the succession line and usually does not have any security detail with her. I have seen her around central London several times usually on her own.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I'll be interested to see whether there is the same level of criticism and hysteria in the media and elsewhere about the costs to taxpayers of this wedding, as there was in May.

There's already criticism about costs.

I've seen lots of comments from people griping that their taxes are paying for everything!

Also, many refuse to believe that Beatrice and Eugenie get no money from the Firm; they think it is simply kept quiet so as to not cause any outcry.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
1) Re the Friday vs Saturday debate, it is not unusual to see a British wedding to take place on a Friday. Unusual as it may seem for our friends from across the pond, most British people would not bat an eyelid at the thought. Even C&C were originally scheduled to get married on a Friday.

2) Re school children: IMO, great opportunity for the school children to watch and be a part of something quite interesting. A few hours out is hardly disruptive. If the school was not interested, the Head Teacher could have well declined the invitation

Late in the term? It will be close to half term. Its not that there are any major exams at that time of the year.

3) Re carriage ride: I am not sure it will be very disruptive. Not that I have seen the route, but I suspect it is a very short stretch on the high street, and then back within the castle precincts. That part of the high street is well used to these disruptions, so I am not overly concerned.

4) Policing costs for the carriage ride: There will be an increased police presence on the street, but I am not expecting a security presence any where near what the H&M wedding entailed. This will largely be due to the fact that Eugenie is that much further down the succession line and usually does not have any security detail with her. I have seen her around central London several times usually on her own.
1) I'm well aware many British weddings take place on a weekday as oppose to weekend. I didn't have an issue with it when it was initially announced. The issue here is that the BRF has generally been considerate in recent times regarding disruption to public on a day where most people don't have it off. Charles and Camilla's blessing didn't include a carriage ride. The fact that it's the same route as Sophie and Edward, and they also saw a need to have it on a weekend is telling.

2) Again, this goes back to the weekday and weekend situation. It's just asking for problems where it could've easily been avoided.

3) The route is the same as Sophie and Edwards. Not quite as long as Meghan and Harry's, but the road closures and security forces will still be out. Again, Sophie and Edward saw it best to have it on a weekend as well as it will cause disruption when people wouldn't get the day off.

4) Eugenie might be able to go about her business in London alone, but this is turning into a public event. The security isn't just for her and Jack at this point, but also for the people that comes out. Every time there is a major gathering, the risk of an attack on members of the public heightens. And the question does come up if the public should pay for the security cost of this for a private individual. Even with working royals, there are upsets over it.

Look, I agree that the York girls are often mocked unfairly in the press, but this type of thing won't help. The decisions made for this wedding seems to be a step back to what the BRF has been trying to do. Which is be more understanding to the lives of everyday people who has to work for a living among other things. To revert back to what the BRF has been doing with weddings in recent years is not helping matters. If they wanted to have a public wedding, at least have the courtesy to do it on a weekend. If they wanted a private wedding, they can have it on any day of the week and it's no one's business other than them and their guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There's already criticism about costs.

I've seen lots of comments from people griping that their taxes are paying for everything!

Also, many refuse to believe that Beatrice and Eugenie get no money from the Firm; they think it is simply kept quiet so as to not cause any outcry.
I think the original poster meant if the papers will inflate numbers and fan the flame. And it's a fair discussion to have in terms if the public should pay for security of this scale for a carriage ride for a private citizen.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I imagine that Windsor, being the tourist destination that it is, doesn't find Saturday much different from Friday for many working people. The shops and restaurants are open the same on Saturday as they are on Friday. People who work 9-5 M-F forget that many, many people do not have their weekends off.

I'm not sure Edward and Sophie picked Saturday for their wedding as a need for the public.

I think interested people would be gathered in Windsor for the wedding even it they were not having a short carriage ride. Security would still be high.

Maybe more tourists come to Windsor Castle on Saturday than on Friday, so they wanted it available to be open. WC is closed Thursday Oct 11 and Friday Oct 12 because of the wedding. We don't actually know why Friday was chosen for the wedding.

I do find it interesting that those most critical of this wedding, for the most part, are not British and those defending it are.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Courtier

I think it’s very important to remember that the schools aren’t just invited because they’re near the venue but because they were Eugenie’s schools. The children at those schools have probably heard stories about her time there, there could very well be faculty still who taught her, they’ll feel a connection to this wedding that goes beyond the usual interest in a royal wedding. She’s “their” princess.

And the same can be said for Windsor. She’s not one of the royals who simply comes to Windsor for Easter services and a handful of events through the year, Windsor was her home base throughout her childhood. So it may very well be that there has been a demonstrated interest from key locals that their community have an opportunity to be somehow involved.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Minus the carriage ride the the rest of the event is all happening behind castle walls and that's fine but this ride around the town will lead to a very big security bill. Sure there would be some police on the streets outside anyway but this will require a much heavier police presence both on the streets and in the upper parts of some of the buildings along the carriage route. I am British and there is a lot of anger among people regarding lack of funding for the health service and disability benefits etc. If the taxpayer ends up footing the bill for this part of the day it will not go down well and that's putting it VERY mildly.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I am British and there is a lot of anger among people regarding lack of funding for the health service and disability benefits etc. If the taxpayer ends up footing the bill for this part of the day it will not go down well and that's putting it VERY mildly.
The taxpayer will most likely foot the bill for the security but it is suspected to be much lower than that of Henry and Meghans bill which was apparently around the £20mil mark. You'll have the usual naysayers on DailyMail comments who moan about the cost of everything but I frankly can't think there's going to be out and out rage over the cost. Considering its a wedding and a happy occasion, we all love a royal wedding!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
interesting that those most critical of this wedding, for the most part, are not British and those defending it are.
QUITE, why does it bother them, if it doesn't bother us, who [if ANYONE] will be 'inconvenienced'.. and paying the security costs ???
Old 07-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The taxpayer will most likely foot the bill for the security but it is suspected to be much lower than that of Henry and Meghans bill which was apparently around the £20mil mark. You'll have the usual naysayers on DailyMail comments who moan about the cost of everything but I frankly can't think there's going to be out and out rage over the cost. Considering its a wedding and a happy occasion, we all love a royal wedding!
That number was over inflated by the tabloids. That's the type of thing that we were talking about regarding tabloid reports of it. Will they go overboard and fan the flames of those that are simply against monarchy? And really, can anyone blame taxpayers if they are upset for having to pay for anything for someone that doesn't work for the Firm? Personally, I'm not going to get upset about it, but it's just something I've seen being commented on by Brits elsewhere. And I'm wondering who in their mind thought this all would be a good idea.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I did say apparently..

This is more than likely the second to last royal wedding we’re going to see until Louise or James, and we’re not going to see a big one until George or Charlotte. People seem to forget how much the public love a royal event, we love something to boost morale. The only people I see having an issue with it are the keyboard warriors from the Daily Mail. Everyone else is either going to love it or are going to be completely no bothered and just go about their ordinary Friday.

This is Eugenies day and everything that’s happening has had the HM seal of approval, I for one think everything they’ve done is a good idea.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
1) I'm well aware many British weddings take place on a weekday as oppose to weekend. I didn't have an issue with it when it was initially announced. The issue here is that the BRF has generally been considerate in recent times regarding disruption to public on a day where most people don't have it off. Charles and Camilla's blessing didn't include a carriage ride. The fact that it's the same route as Sophie and Edward, and they also saw a need to have it on a weekend is telling.

2) Again, this goes back to the weekday and weekend situation. It's just asking for problems where it could've easily been avoided.

3) The route is the same as Sophie and Edwards. Not quite as long as Meghan and Harry's, but the road closures and security forces will still be out. Again, Sophie and Edward saw it best to have it on a weekend as well as it will cause disruption when people wouldn't get the day off.

4) Eugenie might be able to go about her business in London alone, but this is turning into a public event. The security isn't just for her and Jack at this point, but also for the people that comes out. Every time there is a major gathering, the risk of an attack on members of the public heightens. And the question does come up if the public should pay for the security cost of this for a private individual. Even with working royals, there are upsets over it.

Look, I agree that the York girls are often mocked unfairly in the press, but this type of thing won't help. The decisions made for this wedding seems to be a step back to what the BRF has been trying to do. Which is be more understanding to the lives of everyday people who has to work for a living among other things. To revert back to what the BRF has been doing with weddings in recent years is not helping matters. If they wanted to have a public wedding, at least have the courtesy to do it on a weekend. If they wanted a private wedding, they can have it on any day of the week and it's no one's business other than them and their guests.
Still don't get your point of Saturday vs Friday.

- Only a short stretch of the road will be shut, so hardly a major inconvenience.

- As regards the attendance of school children fro Eugenie's old school, if the Head did not want the children to attend, they could have declined the invitation.

Quote:
I did say apparently..

This is more than likely the second to last royal wedding we’re going to see until Louise or James, and we’re not going to see a big one until George or Charlotte. People seem to forget how much the public love a royal event, we love something to boost morale. The only people I see having an issue with it are the keyboard warriors from the Daily Mail. Everyone else is either going to love it or are going to be completely no bothered and just go about their ordinary Friday.

This is Eugenies day and everything that’s happening has had the HM seal of approval, I for one think everything they’ve done is a good idea.
I have to agree with you. This is all being done with the consent of HM, so lets just rely on the judgement of our beloved monarch.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am a big supporter of the Monarchy but I am astounded by this comment. This isn't about anyone 'moaning', you clearly have no idea about the struggles the British people are facing or you simply don't care. I work with people who have to feed their families via food banks so yes there will indeed be out and out rage over this. The British are very patriotic but don't push people to the limit, please.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I am a big supporter of the Monarchy but I am astounded by this comment. This isn't about anyone 'moaning', you clearly have no idea about the struggles the British people are facing or you simply don't care. I work with people who have to feed their families via food banks so yes there will indeed be out and out rage over this. The British are very patriotic but don't push people to the limit, please.
If the public had such an issue with the cost of royalty, we wouldn't have one. Regardless of anyones position in the royal family, if there was such a problem with spending money on security we would have had riots on the streets for Henrys wedding. Just because he represents the crown more, doesn't mean he should have an expensive wedding at the cost of the taxpayer. You're suggesting that people are to going to be more offended about paying for the security of Eugenie's wedding because she doesn't officially represent the crown, I really don't understand that comment.

People who write at the bottoms of royal articles on the Daily Mail are moaning, you just have to read the comments to discover that. I'm not quite sure how you managed to link that, to people who are living from food banks. I never said they were one and the same.

Lastly, please don't make assumptions of a person when you do not know them. It's quite un-necessary.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posts containing comments about Brexit which is not only related to politics but is quite clearly unrelated to the topic of the thread, have been removed. Now lets move on.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:09 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Doesn't Eugenie have a simular kind of wedding as Peter Philips? That didn't cause the end of the monarchy, I doubt that her wedding will.

Would you prefer the royal family not to be protected btw?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Doesn't Eugenie have a simular kind of wedding as Peter Philips? That didn't cause the end of the monarchy, I doubt that her wedding will.

Would you prefer the royal family not to be protected btw?
I don't believe she is having a similar wedding to Peter's. I thought she would, but that's not what we are seeing here. I know Peter didn't have a carriage rides through public streets, and I'm pretty certain I didn't read about people on the grounds to watch the wedding. It's more like Edward's, except for maybe being televised live. I think everyone is ok with normal security when the wedding isn't public, but now we are talking about a much bigger operation when the public streets have to be secured for the carriage ride.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Majesty

“Jack and I are excited to be able to invite people to watch our wedding inside the Precinct of Windsor Castle. Find out more via publicevents.royal.uk/ballot.”

Princess Eugenie confirms exciting royal wedding news with previously unseen photos

Pics from her Instagram
Old 07-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I don't believe she is having a similar wedding to Peter's. I thought she would, but that's not what we are seeing here. I know Peter didn't have a carriage rides through public streets
Peters carriage ride took them from St Georges Chapel directly to Frogmore House, no route was ever released.

By the looks of the Eugenie carriage plan they're turning left out of St Georges, along High Street and Park street then turning left again onto the Long Walk and back to the Castle. Possibly a 5 maybe 10 minute journey.

I also think we've forgotten when these people are getting married, Eugenie in 2018, Edward in 1999 and Peter in 2008. Expectations have changed.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Peters carriage ride took them from St Georges Chapel directly to Frogmore House, no route was ever released.

By the looks of the Eugenie carriage plan they're turning left out of St Georges, along High Street and Park street then turning left again onto the Long Walk and back to the Castle. Possibly a 5 maybe 10 minute journey.

I also think we've forgotten when these people are getting married, Eugenie in 2018, Edward in 1999 and Peter in 2008. Expectations have changed.
Expectation have changed over time, but it's the other way than this. Eugenie is HRH, but that only meant something at the time when she's young. These days, more and more people are considering her to be the same as all of the Queen's other grandchildren that don't have the HRH title. We also have to remember that Edward is the son of the monarch, and Eugenie will never be the daughter of a monarch. While Edward and Sophie weren't intended to be full time royals, I believe he and Sophie were still expected to carry out some royal duties. Whereas it's not expected at all for Eugenie and Jack.

Closed Thread