The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
That's not quite true. Harry's wedding involved closed down roads and had to put in airport security scanners among other security measures during the day which caused a lot of delays and such in getting around town. But it wasn't as disruptive because it's not a workday where most people have to be at places by a certain time. The Wessexes' wedding was also on a Saturday to minimize disruption as no holiday is expected. However, Eugenie's wedding is on a weekday. I'm at a loss as to why they didn't just pick the Saturday if they wanted a public wedding? The only wedding since the Yorks' wedding that was not intended to be on either a holiday or weekend was Prince Charles and Camilla's blessing. But I don't believe that was on the same scale in terms of road closures and such.
Since the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William will all be attending this wedding, yes security will be very high. Just having that many heirs in one place raises security levels exponentially.
And the wedding is on a Friday in Windsor, so not too disruptive. They must have a good reason for the wedding to be on Friday and not Saturday.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Since the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William will all be attending this wedding, yes security will be very high. Just having that many heirs in one place raises security levels exponentially.
And the wedding is on a Friday in Windsor, so not too disruptive. They must have a good reason for the wedding to be on Friday and not Saturday.
That's security within the confines of the Castle, which is different than having to provide security along the route where the public is for public safety. That was the case for Sussex wedding too. It's relatively easy to secure the principals on the grounds of Castle that already secured, but not so much when it's on a public street.

How can it not be too disruptive when streets have to be closed down and additional security screenings to be up? I've yet to see a good reason for a weekday rather than the weekend based on this new information. I thought perhaps they didn't want to disrupt the tourism on a weekend before, but it seems that they are causing a much worse disruption to people living there by doing it on a Friday if this is the route they go down. I'm not sure why they even think it's a good idea to disrupt children's education by pulling them out of school for what should be a private wedding of a private person. I think having a wedding with a carriage ride like this closing down streets on a weekday without a bank holiday is exactly the type of thing that will be seen and considered as out of touch with everyday people.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
exactly the type of thing that will be seen and considered as out of touch with everyday people.
I personally know perhaps a dozen people that either live or work in Windsor [some do both]. ALL of them accept the periodic disruption caused by 'the Castle', and are proud to be in the Town that contains it, and is WORLD famous because of it..
What those who are in no way inconvenienced by it think is irrelevant ..
Old 07-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Sounds like a smaller version (at least carriage procession) of what we saw for Harry and Meghan. Glad to see that her wedding is treated as one of a princess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
William has other first cousins. I see no one complaining that William favored his royal cousin over his non royal cousins. No one had an issue with Edmund and Lara not being used. They were young enough, yet there was no 'if you use one cousin you have to use them all'. Edmund was 8 and Lara was 5.

Or any complaint Margharita was used, but not the other kids who are the same relation as she is. Arthur and Charles at 12 could have still been pages.

Or that she only used one of Camilla's grandkids and none of the others. Or older weddings. No issue Diana only used Lord Nicholas but none of his siblings or their cousins.

So I don't see how anyone could possibly expect that Eugenie would be 'snubbing' any child if she didn't choose all the little royals.
William and Catherine picked only one of each core family (no siblings). My point was that it would be weird if Eugenie picked both the elder Cambridge kids and none of the other great grandchildren of the queen. Picking one Cambridge kid and one or two others would be perfectly fine.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I personally know perhaps a dozen people that either live or work in Windsor [some do both]. ALL of them accept the periodic disruption caused by 'the Castle', and are proud to be in the Town that contains it, and is WORLD famous because of it..
What those who are in no way inconvenienced by it think is irrelevant ..
Of course people accept some disruption, but everything has a limit. While I'm sure no one would be upset at a state visit causing disruptions, that is not applied for every event. For a private person's wedding, who isn't even considerate enough to do so on a weekend when people don't have to rush off to work, I would think people are less understanding.

As for the bridal party, I think they can pick whomever they want and I don't think other parents or anyone else should feel weird about it.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Looks like they are using Harry's and Meghan's wedding as a template in some respects. Interesting.

I assume they feel it was successful what they did, worth it to follow in their footsteps? Edward and Sophie did it otherwise: might it be because security concerns are much greater now?
I thought the same, I find it interesting that they want to have such a public wedding as I've always thought they seemed like a more private couple, and thus presumed they would have a small, family wedding privately with just a few photos released. Purely because of the amount of interest they garner I doubt the wedding will get as much attention as Harry and Meghan's (I would be surprised if it were televised) but there will still be large crowds outside Windsor.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Of course people accept some disruption, but everything has a limit. While I'm sure no one would be upset at a state visit causing disruptions, that is not applied for every event. For a private person's wedding, who isn't even considerate enough to do so on a weekend when people don't have to rush off to work, I would think people are less understanding.

As for the bridal party, I think they can pick whomever they want and I don't think other parents or anyone else should feel weird about it.
I think you are forgetting that Eugenie and Jack were not the only people whose schedules had to be considered for this wedding.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

A few thoughts:

1.) Haters -- get over it! She's the daughter of the son of the sovereign! She's an HRH. She didn't come out of the womb asking for it -- she is it, by birth!
2.) Just remember that whatever you think the Yorks deserve should also go for the 2nd and 3rd children of the Cambridge's and the yet-to-come children of the Sussex couple.
3.) Camilla and Charles were scheduled to be married on a Friday, but their wedding date was superseded by Pope John Paul II's funeral which Charles attended.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
A few thoughts:

1.) Haters -- get over it! She's the daughter of the son of the sovereign! She's an HRH. She didn't come out of the womb asking for it -- she is it, by birth!
2.) Just remember that whatever you think the Yorks deserve should also go for the 2nd and 3rd children of the Cambridge's and the yet-to-come children of the Sussex couple.
3.) Camilla and Charles were scheduled to be married on a Friday, but their wedding date was superseded by Pope John Paul II's funeral which Charles attended.

LOL what? Haters? Hardly. Pointing out this is overblown for a non-working member of the family? Not hate just an opinion.

And YES I do think that the same should apply to the Cambridge kids who are not working members AND to any of the Sussex kids who will almost definitely not be working members.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 PM
Royal Highness

We all know there are folks -- on this board -- who dislike (I'm being very generous) the Yorks.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 PM
Majesty

I think it’s going to be a lovely day. Just hope the weather co-operates.

I’m looking forward to the tiara she wears as well as just the pomp of a royal wedding.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see the problem with Eugenie and Jack having a short carriage ride. Apparently they expect more people than they can host on the grounds of Windsor Castle, so very considerate of them to make sure that these people can also see them on their wedding day.

The wedding being at Windsor Castle already largely limits the disturbance. For example one of the queen's cousins got married at York Cathedral. I am sure that caused some disturbance in the city of York as well - as any royal visit does. I would think the marriage of a princess of the blood is an occasion that is far more important than one of the many work visits made by a royal or anyone else deemed important which many times also leads to smaller or bigger road closures.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Royal Highness

I am very much in agreement with you Rudolph for Eugenie is a very nice young lady who has done no one harm on this earth and hating her because of her parents is down right cruel in my book. I hope she has the wedding of her dreams as all young girls wish for and she should not be given less just because she is not a working member of the royal family, she is family first and foremost here. She has gone to college, got a career, not just a job, and worked her way up so this beating up on her is not fair to her at all. She and Jack have been together for a long time now and work together on their relationship so what is the darn problem with that? Nothing I see!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Majesty

I too am looking forward to a fine day for the wedding and to seeing Eugenie's tiara (probably her mother's) and gown. Also to all the pomp of a royal wedding, as occured in May with the Sussexes.

Just wondering though, as to whether there will be articles in the media, DM comments and debates elsewhere about this wedding. For instance, is there going to be criticism about the ballot system, or whether the 1,200 people on the grounds are going to be fed and watered on the day? Whether Windsor will be in lockdown as we were told in May, with police leave cancelled.

Is there going to be speculation about the cost of security (in May £30-40 million was mentioned) the price of the bridal gown featured in the tabloids, complete with wildly inflated figures?

I'll be interested to see whether there is the same level of criticism and hysteria in the media and elsewhere about the costs to taxpayers of this wedding, as there was in May.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Will the same Ascot Landau be used that Prince Harry and Meghan rode in?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Will the same Ascot Landau be used that Prince Harry and Meghan rode in?
I imagine it will be the same landau as its been stated that its the best one for viewing the people riding in it.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Though they could use the Balmoral sociable carriage which was used by Peter and Autum, they will likely use the landau. It has a better view of the couple riding in it, then the Balmoral does.

I think despite some distate for the Yorks there will be a lot of interest. This is the first major royal wedding of a British princess since Anne married Mark (Tim was a small private affair and event that was over 20 years ago). Seeing a blood princess, what dress she wears, what tiara she has, and so on will bring some interest as well.

I like they include charities. For all the talk of 'they aren't working royals', Eugenie has a number of charities she has supported for years. Its great to see them included. I also like they will include some students from her old schools as well.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 PM
Royal Highness

I love a royal wedding, and I would not be unhappy to see Eugenie's wedding televised live, if indeed the couple wish to share that much with the public. It does seem as if it's only going to be audio broadcast, but maybe they mean the audio is for those standing outdoors at Windsor. People at home may be allowed to see it televised, hopefully. There's something like royal wedding fever going on this year I think. And aside from Princess Beatrice, what other opportunities will there be after this for another British royal wedding until the Cambridges grow up?

I've heard that Prince Harry is close to Eugenie, and that in October 2016, Eugenie and Jack joined Meghan and Harry on a double date. I don't know if that's confirmed, but it sounds plausible. I doubt these two young couples feel any sense of competition, regardless of tabloid and royal journalist blather. Both couples are more likely happy for each other.

Eugenie should be a beautiful bride and I wish her and Jack much happiness.

The royal family may not always get along with each other privately, but I think for the most part they have each other's backs to the extent that they know what happens in the royal firm needs to stay in the royal firm these days. They can only trust each other and their steadfastly loyal closest friends in a tabloid media world that seeks to compromise them by any means necessary.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think you are forgetting that Eugenie and Jack were not the only people whose schedules had to be considered for this wedding.
Is there a major event going on in royal world a day later that I’m forgetting? William also had a conflict, but given the situation, he decided to stay with the family event. They had an unusually long engagement for BRF. I’m sure if the Sussexes and Wessexes can find a day where everyone doesn’t have firm commitment and can attend the wedding on a Saturday, they can too.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Is there a major event going on in royal world a day later that I’m forgetting? William also had a conflict, but given the situation, he decided to stay with the family event. They had an unusually long engagement for BRF. I’m sure if the Sussexes and Wessexes can find a day where everyone doesn’t have firm commitment and can attend the wedding.
Longish engagement but the Queen is in Scotland for several months from sometime in July through early October. May and June were out as choices. Didn’t leave many options.
It doesn’t have to be a major event to conflict. It could be travel to a later engagement or any number of things. It could be something else scheduled in Windsor for Saturday.
Ssh-it’s a secret but Jack & Eugenie scheduled their wedding on Friday so I could enjoy it since I’ll be at my niece’s wedding on Saturday.

Closed Thread