Eugenie and Jack: Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was different back then when the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra weded. Theirs were really full-scale royal weddings, with so much publicity and attention (especially Princess Alexandra's). But these were different times, the 1960s! And their position in the Firm was different than the York girls'. They were close to the core of the RF, working on behalf of the young Queen, who had only one sister to support her and little children at that time. They were really a big help to the Queen, their role was important in terms of day-to-day running of the monarchy and its public life.

And there was Prince Richard, who was a younger son not expected to take over after his father's, who also wanted (or had no other option) to live his own life and have a career, and who had a really down-scale wedding. That's what I think should be the example for the York girls.

As for the titles for the Phillipses, I remember reading somewhere that Angus Ogilvy regretted that he did not accept an earldom, setting a precedent that led (inspired?) Mark Phillips to follow him in this choice. And that now we have children of the Princess Royal with no style or title, like most-common commoners, Mr, Ms.

Anyway, I don't think that someone needs to be treated a special way or deserves more than others just because he or she was born in this family or another. Thus, the York girls should not be treated or accorded anything else/more than their Phillips cousins just because they are descended in male-line from the Queen. The gender preference does not even apply any more to the order of succession. They should be, though, only if they were performing official duties on behalf of the Sovereign and working for the monarchy. Or maybe also when in the direct line to the throne, with a real possibility to succeed one day. But they don't. Are not. In fact, they are simply the Queen's granddaughters and their status of princesses of blood is archaic and meaningless today. At least for the people. I'm sure that their Grandma loves them, though :D

Last edited:
JAN MOIR: Who the hell does Princess Eugenie think she is? https://dailym.ai/2LiY4D9 via @MailOnline

This article is just apalling! When did the DM turn into their comment section, what happened to professionalism?!:sad:

Well this is interesting, it seems like most in the comment section are actually defending Eugenie.

Last edited:
When it comes to the DM journalistic professionalism is thrown out the window.

'as important as one of the queen's corgis' :bang:

'should shuffle off into the unknown and get married' :sad:

She’s not exactly a huge star within the Royal Family firmament, and over the years she has done absolutely nothing to distinguish herself or to encourage public affection. Indeed, she is most famous for her ridiculous fashion faux pas, including an irrational fondness for wearing teapot-shaped skirts, a trait that is hardly likely to get them out cheering on the streets of Berkshire.

Oh yeah a career with an art gallery. 10 patronages. Done absolutely nothing but be a fashion mess :whistling:

Jack now works for a tequila brand in 'the kind of untaxing work only a posh boy lands'. Yeah no mention he has worked his way up in the bar business and created his own wine merchant business. Of course not.

But then again Edward and Sophie got promoted to Duke and Duchess :lol:

A little light charity work here. A vague position in the art world there. Anybody need their coloured pencils sharpened? She’s your girl.

Now not just a corgis, or less important then a corgis
Like a neatly groomed, determined seagull, Eugenie has spent nearly three decades drifting along in the richly foaming wake of the Queen, picking off what she can from the royal catch.

And of course they have no friends, the guests of honors will be Harry as they desperately latch on to his fame. And the people who will come wont be palace staff and memebrs of her charity work but :

No doubt the Sussexes will be guests of honour at the October wedding. And, no doubt, the public tickets will be over-subscribed because, let’s face it, they are free. And there are enough royal fans and random tourists out there to take advantage of the offer.

Journalist integrity and impartiality at its best :bang:

JAN MOIR: Who the hell does Princess Eugenie think she is? https://dailym.ai/2LiY4D9 via @MailOnline

This article is just apalling! When did the DM turn into their comment section, what happened to professionalism?!:sad:

Well this is interesting, it seems like most in the comment section are actually defending Eugenie.

Wow, this is an incredibly tacky article. It has a few nice sentences interspersed with really hateful, snide rhetoric.

"Instead of shuffling off to tie the knot discreetly in parts unknown — as perhaps befits her relatively lowly royal status — the princess and her 32-year-old fiance Jack Brooksbank will marry on October 12 in St George’s Chapel, Windsor."

Her cousin Peter married at St George's also--Maybe Jan Moir is too stupid to know that. She seems very bitter.

Last edited:
It's a mean-spirited article.
Even most of the comments say that it is bitter and nasty, and express the hope that Eugenie will get the wedding she wants.

Wow, this is an incredibly tacky article. It has a few nice sentences interspersed with really hateful, snide rhetoric.

"Instead of shuffling off to tie the knot discreetly in parts unknown — as perhaps befits her relatively lowly royal status — the princess and her 32-year-old fiance Jack Brooksbank will marry on October 12 in St George’s Chapel, Windsor."

Her cousin Peter married at St George's also--Maybe Jan Moir is too stupid to know that. She seems very bitter.

And Zara who is even further from the throne had her reception at Holyrood. The queen's official residence (not private hidden away wedding either). But remembering Facts is too much to ask of the DM.

If nothing else it is old tradition. Marrying in the bride's family church. She has more link then Harry does to St George's. She grew up at Windsor. She attended St George's Windsor before Marlborough.

It's a mean-spirited article. Even most of the comments say that it is bitter and nasty, and express the hope that Eugenie will get the wedding she wants.

I agree. :sad: Nasty article. Poor Eugenie. Hope she ignores the provocateurs.

I admit to being initially surprised at what seemed to be a 'plumped up' wedding, but really, there are innumerable very solid reasons for their going this route. I see that, and in the end it's not really my concern. But I do think people are interested in weddings. I certainly am. Love the atmosphere. The best of all family celebrations imo. Eugenie was not going to be able to escape substantial interest because it is a wedding and royal, so she (or they) have gone a route that allows them to control the day. More power to them. :flowers:

I look forward to seeing her gown and veil (will she wear Sarah's tiara?), the choice of bouquet and attendants' dresses, all the usual. So much fun! Plus they are clearly in love and Eugenie is so very pretty. And nice. That she should be burdened with people's animus towards her parents is unfair (as it is for anyone having to bear the burden of family as we have recently seen). Have your wedding, Eugenie! The Queen is casting her blessings on all arrangements! :flowers:

Last edited:
It's a mean-spirited article.
Even most of the comments say that it is bitter and nasty, and express the hope that Eugenie will get the wedding she wants.

I must admit that I didn't expect Jack and Eugenie's wedding to be televised. I am surprised then with rumors that it might be, or even that it probably will be. We don't know yet for sure, but if it is indeed televised, let us recall that no broadcaster is forced to do it. If they choose to do it, it will be because they think the wedding is of interest to at least a significant section of their audience, which is actually probably true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm team televised , I like watching weddings and I don't care who gets married .

I was waiting for an article like this to appear, it took them a good week or so since the announcement but it's no surprise. Anything to bring them down. It is such a shame!

I'll be watching but only to see Meghan's outfit !!! I Wonder if foreign tv's will broadcast it just like Meghan's and Harry's….

Here in Germany a lot of brides who come from close knit communities have a carriage drive after church through their village or small town, not only the noble brides. And everyone is on their feet to watch and show their support. As Eugenie grew up near Windsor and her grandmother is the lady of the manor there (apart from being the Queen), it is absolutely normal in my eyes that she and Jack decided on the chapel there and to have a carriage drive through town afterwards. As much as the RF might want to downsize, Eugenie is a princess of the Blood Royal and there is no need to play poor bourgeoise in my eyes. Especially in Brexit-times a lot of Britons want pomp and pageantry and who shall stand in the centre of this if not the Princes and Princesses of the UK?

In Germany we don't have nobility as a social level with formal precedence etc. anymore but still the Herediary Prince of Hannover got all the permissions and police security payed for by the State for his carriage drive through Hannover after his religious wedding, and lots and lots of "normal" citizens of Hannover joined in the street party to celebrate the union.

Or think of the weddings of British nobility - even actress Rose Leslie had a comparatively "grand" wedding when she married fellow actor Kit Harrington, and not because both were in GoT, but because Rose Eleanor Arbuthnot-Leslie is the daughter of a chieftain of Clan Leslie, so a (minor) Scottish noblewoman. Or think of the weddings of the Percy- Ladies. It is what Eugenie deserves due to the fact who she is and how the Uk is working today, and no envious journalist is going to change this. And it's not as if they chose Westminster Abbey, the a ride down The Mall and a balcony appearance at BP!

I'm team televised , I like watching weddings and I don't care who gets married .

Me too! :flowers:

I like watching the arrivals, noticing the clothes and the flowers.
I'm looking forward to Eugenie's wedding as much as I did Harry's.

OMG!!! Who the hell does Jan Moir think she is?!! This is nothing more than bullying. Just disgraceful.

Here in Germany a lot of brides who come from close knit communities have a carriage drive after church through their village or small town, not only the noble brides

I appearance at BP!

If she wants a carriage ride, fine but many people would like her to pay for the security it involves...

Good for Sarah! I wonder if Andrew might also defend his daughter?

I don't think it would be right in the PR sense for Andrew to publicly bash a paper like that. Sarah has done it indirectly by agreeing with something someone wrote.

Well he's not gong to have a title. They are getting married and it will be a nice wedding but not a public or televised one...

Well he's not gong to have a title. They are getting married and it will be a nice wedding but not a public or televised one...

Are you sure it won't be televised ? Honestly I never expected it to be, but there have been rumors (UK spelling rumours) to the contrary.

Is it possible that they don't actually televise the wedding on TV channels and such as they did for Harry and Meghan's wedding but allow one channel, for example BBC or ITV to stream the wedding for those interested in watching it?

That way it wouldn't interrupt normal Friday broadcasting but it'd be available on devices to stream it?

Just an idea.

I must say I wouldn't expect the ceremony to be televised although the comings and goings and some of the carriage ride could easily be filmed and shown on the news as what happened with Peter and Autumn.

Obviously if the whole thing is televised and broadcast live, then I won't be complaining at all - the more royal weddings to watch the merrier I say.

I can't see it being televised either. I agree it will be like Peter/Autumn and Mike/Zara....we will see the arrivals, the departures and the ride thru Windsor.

Are you sure it won't be televised ? Honestly I never expected it to be, but there have been rumors (UK spelling rumours) to the contrary.

Im pretty sure. I hope not. One royal wedding this year was enough...

I must say I wouldn't expect the ceremony to be televised although the comings and goings and some of the carriage ride could easily be filmed and shown on the news as what happened with Peter and Autumn.

Obviously if the whole thing is televised and broadcast live, then I won't be complaining at all - the more royal weddings to watch the merrier I say.
Maybe it can be live-streamed on the Royal You Tube Channel?

Honestly if it's not televised and I could honestly see it either way, at least being able to listen to the broadcast by a later recording or somehow, and seeing some pictures inside would be enough for me.

Does not someone film the wedding for the bride and groom's personal use?

yes Im aware of that, but its hard to avoid these things completely......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom