Engagement of Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank: January 22, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the UK press are having a go about the interview. I don't see the issue overall but I was a bit surprised it happened today. I expected more down the line closer to the wedding. It is clear Andrew and Sarah made some phone calls. I wonder how the rest of the family feels about this little PR stunt the Yorks are doing today.

She beaming in the interview though. Very happy for her. Jack looks so nervous.

What PR stunt?

Some of the UK press are having a go about the interview. I don't see the issue overall but I was a bit surprised it happened today. I expected more down the line closer to the wedding. It is clear Andrew and Sarah made some phone calls. I wonder how the rest of the family feels about this little PR stunt the Yorks are doing today.

I don't understand..."PR stunt"?

Their youngest daughter, a Royal princess who is a granddaughter of the queen, just got engaged...to a hardworking self made young man who just happens to be the great grandson of a peer to boot. ;)

The Yorks have every right to celebrate, imo.

I understand that Andrew and Fergie have not always exhibited stellar behavior but I think it's wrong that every single move they make is criticized.

Last edited:
What delightful news! Congratulations to the happy couple! So there is another royal wedding to look forward to. :D

It's so kind of them to spare us the speculations on when and where they'll get married. Ok, we don't know the exact date, but autumn sounds precise enough for the time being. That they chose St. George's doesn't surprise me one bit, the family all seem to be attached to that church, and there is the possibility to hold the reception at Windsor.

Feeling pressured to marry because you are "the last one left" sounds very old century to me and, when the subject in question is a female, even sexist TBH.

I don't disagree but it happens all the time. I lost count how many times I heard "When are you getting married and having kids" with my circle of friends. And the moment one did then it got worse. So I can see Beatrice feeling some type of way since she will be the only grandchild not married.

That was unexpected, even though they have been together for a while. Interesting that the Palace's announcement used the words "The Duke and Duchess of York". Is Sarah considered "The Duchess of York" again as if she were still married to Andrew , or is it just a matter of bad wording by the Palace ?

Congratulations to the engaged couple !
Not that unexpected I'd say. Following a similar patterns as William and Zara. First the 'well-known' prince announces his marriage, within two months his cousin's boyfriend proposes; fiancé can join the royal wedding and have a less high-profile wedding a few months later. I wouldn't be surprised if both Mike and Jack had been waiting for a while to propose knowing that their girlfriend had a rather close relationship with the 'soon to be groom'-cousin.

What PR stunt?

I am happy for her but some of the press on twitter are having a go at them over the interview and all of Sarah's memes. It is odd but whatever. Sarah has every right to be excited. Her daughter is getting married.

I've never even heard of the stone. Must be worth a small fortune

The sapphire looks to be about 4 carats. Just the center stone would be somewhere around US$20,000. Add the diamonds and gold, probably $24,000. It is a beautiful piece of jewelry.

Wedding in September, maybe.

Engagement Ring??
Said it’s a Sapphire which as far as I know is BLUE;
Why am I seeing a Red Ruby Ring in the Official Engagement Photos??

October may be more likely--The Queen comes back from Balmoral in early October.

It is a blush-colored padparadscha sapphire ring.

"Padparadscha sapphire is a special variety of gem corundum, featuring an often delicate color that is a mixture of red and yellow – a marriage between ruby and yellow sapphire"
"An unenhanced Padparadscha stone is the rarest of all sapphires. In Sanskrit, its name means "lotus color," as the stone's remarkable pink-orange hue resembles the vivid blush of the sacred blossoms"

The rumours of the scaling down of the monarchy have been around since 1992 and is based on a comment from a low level staffer referring to an alleged throw-away line made by Prince Charles at an early meeting of how defunct 'Way Ahead Group'.

The only evidence of a 'scaling down' has been now royal duties for the York girls and a replication of the balcony scene from Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897 with just the monarch and direct heirs there rather than the extended family.
Harry was on that picture as well while he isn't a direct heir!

Since 2008 the family has actually expanded and will continue to do so with William and Kate having three children and no doubt Harry will have two or three meaning more HRH grandchildren of Charles than of The Queen - hardly scaling down.
I sincerely hope that Harry will have a few children but 'no doubt' suggests that it is a guarantee that Harry and Meghan will be able to have children which it is not.

I don't disagree but it happens all the time. I lost count how many times I heard "When are you getting married and having kids" with my circle of friends. And the moment one did then it got worse. So I can see Beatrice feeling some type of way since she will be the only grandchild not married.

Other than her sister, they are all older than her though--by 4, 6, 7 and 11 years. And her sister is only 19 months younger.

Agreed. Thrilled though. The timing will definitely be tricky. I initially thought October but I also wonder if they will push it to November. I guess it will depend on how busy everyone is in October. I would imagine quite.

Typically November is a rather busy month especially the first half with all kinds of events related to Remembrance Sunday (starting late November at times). So, first half of October seems more likely - in that way favorite cousin Harry can also attend (so before Invictus).

Except for Louise and James , ok they still way too young but they are grandchildren too .

Sarah had bees on her coat of Arms when she was married. Perhaps that's what Osipi means.

Gosh, referring to today's wonderful announcement as a "PR stunt" is such a harsh thing to say.

I wish the beaming couple a very happy marriage. Good news all around.

Actually I was referring to Sarah seeming to have a lot of butterflies accenting her wardrobe. Perhaps I've just seen Sarah's Aruna Seth's butterfly clutch one too many times. :D

Happy for this couple and that ring, absolutely brilliant. Love it. Best I have seen in many years even though I am all for the large clear solitaire setting with only the wedding "jacket" making up more glitter. But this one has to be my favorite over Kate and Sarah's colored ones. Blessings and happiness to them for many years.

If any foreign royals attend this wedding it will be by private invitation because Eugenie and Jack have a relationship with them. This wedding will be even more private than Harry and Meghan's and most definitely not a state or even semi-state wedding.

I'd be very surprised if this wedding was televised even. There just isn't the interest.

What an awful thing to say about this couple that just got engaged! Why say something so ugly about them, Princess Eugenie is HM's granddaughter, Jack is a very hard working young man and this is *NO* pr stunt to get attention. Who needs the attention of the media if royal or not? :ohmy:

I don't understand..."PR stunt"?

Their youngest daughter, a Royal princess who is a granddaughter of the queen, just got engaged...to a hardworking self made young man who just happens to be the great grandson of a peer to boot. ;)

The Yorks have every right to celebrate, imo.

I understand that they Andrew and Fergie have not always exhibited stellar behavior but I think it's wrong that every single move they make is criticized.

Jack may have been described by the likes of the DM as a "self-made barman", but his distant ancestors include an earl and a baronet. He and Eugenie are also related on her mother's side as Sarah and Jack are third cousins (if I'm not mistaken) via their common descent from the 2nd Earl of Leicester. I don't know if it is appropriate to use this term, but I'd consider Jack a member of the 'gentry'. In the continent, since he is a male descendant in male line from a family that holds the equivalent to a hereditary knighthood , he would be considered a member of the nobility.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have to say, Jack came off really well in that small interview. Slightly nervous, but happy and proud (he's even beaming tbh), articulate and quite down to earth. They seem like a really good match. Was surprised at Eugenie's slightly hoarse voice. First time I hear her speak and I expected it to be higher in pitch.

When Harry and Meghan announced I thought Jack and Eugenie would soon after ala Zara and Mike. I was actually expecting it closer to the holidays and when it didn't happen, I thought - well maybe not.
Lovely couple, wonder if it's true that Eugenie is to move into Ivy cottage @ KP as was rumored some time ago.
It'll be nice to see her mother's tiara again - quite a lovely one, if Eugenie chooses to wear it, although she would look nice w/ a bandeau style. I don't think a fringe tiara would suit Eugenie's face.

Osipi, I got the butterfly reference w/ Sarah, for awhile she always had butterflies - I remember those shoes/slippers w/ butterflies on them as well as the purse, I assumed it was Sarah's symbol of metamorphosis after her most recent issues.
Speaking of Sarah in looking at her gushing tweats this one caught my eye:'... We love Jack and I am so excited to have a son, a brother and a best friend..." Jack is not her 'brother' and he is not her 'best friend.' I assume she is tweating for the whole family, but really, all involved are adults and quite capable of communicating their own emotions about the news, as far as I know she is no one's spokesperson. But perhaps I am reacting to my own views of dysfunctional families who don't respect boundaries.

Has BP announced the Queen and Prince Phillip's blessings/joy at the news yet?

Congratulations to the couple! They both look very happy and Eugenie looks beautiful. She looks a lot like The Queen Mother as a young woman.

I’m not a fan of large engagements rings but, as they go, hers is very nice. The colours are lovely.

Look forward to all the Hello Magazine photos.

Ring?
Sapphire's are also Ruby Red? I'm lost??

My favourite is EMERALD; but that stone seems to have gone out of fashion. The Duchess of Windsor owned a lovely Emerald ring.

I thought when I saw the couple at Pippa's Wedding last May, their Engagement was only a matter of time.
Eugenie looked stunning in her Engagement Photos, and l loved her shoes!

It's a padparadscha sapphire...it's not ruby red.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom