Engagement of Princess Beatrice of York and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: September 26, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How things have changed! And for the better. I realize Beatrice is WAYYY down the line in the succession, but it wasn't that long ago when the British Monarchy was forbidden to marry a Catholic and a divorced person. Hurray! :flowers:

Actually, I don't think Edo's religion has been confirmed, And he has never been married.

Being childhood friends doesnt play a huge role. Yes they knew each other but as friends, or family friends. Different then dating certainly.

I do think knowing someone and their family well, long before you actually date does give one an advantage. A whole part of learning about a person is already done and you can move onto more personal details.

Last edited by a moderator:
How things have changed! And for the better. I realize Beatrice is WAYYY down the line in the succession, but it wasn't that long ago when the British Monarchy was forbidden to marry a Catholic and a divorced person. Hurray! :flowers:

It was never forbidden for them to marry a divorced person or a Roman Catholic.

Even those who were Roman Catholics still required official consent to enter a legal marriage contract. Without that consent from the British monarch they weren't actually married let alone those who had married a Roman Catholic. All that happened was they lost their place in the line of succession. If it was forbidden for them to marry a Roman Catholic it makes no sense for a Roman Catholic to have to have the monarch's permission to marry - how could the monarch give consent to a marriage that was at the same time deemed 'forbidden' which implies 'illegal'? There were consequences to such a marriage but the marriage wasn't forbidden. There are consequences if a person converts to Roman Catholicism today. There are consequences for a person in the first six in the line of succession who marry without consent. Both are legal but the person knows that there will be consequences to that decision.

The only reason the 'couldn't marry a divorced person' came about was that the government, in 1936, had to get rid of a monarch and rather than assassinate him either obviously or by nefarious means they were handed a gift of an excuse in Wallis being a twice divorced woman. There was no law stopping Edward marrying Wallis.

Last edited:
No, sorry, not remotely. Not everyone's dad's jobs are made equal.

That is like my saying being the daughter of a banker is just as influential as Ivanka Trump. Doesnt work that way. NASA may be impressive, but unless he is head of NASA, thats not going to turn heads.

Being a member of the BRF puts you on a global platform. For a man who works in business, being the SIL of the DOY could open doors for you. Unless you are looking for a job at NASA and you hope her father is going to get you a job interview, not even remotely comparable.

Its a small antiquated part of the population that still thinks who 'your stock is' is important. And for those its not about brains, but blood. A member of the royal family, that is a plus. A child of a scientist, not so much.

Being childhood friends doesnt play a huge role. Yes they knew each other but as friends, or family friends. Different then dating certainly.

But Harry and Beatrice are both in the same place. They are not young like Eugenie, William and their cousins were when they started dating their partners. When you start dating still in college you have other priorities and you feel no rush to get married. You are doing school, settling into jobs and adult life and such. There is no rush to commit and have kids.

When you are in your thirties, dating becomes more serious. You aren't going to look for someone for a good time. Well not if you plan on marriage and kids. You are going to look for someone who you can see marriage and kids with. Such decisions will be quicker, you will know sooner if ready to commit.

Being a NASA scientist is actually an accomplishment that her father earned through hard work and high intelligence. Much more worthy of praise than just being born to a woman who's greatest accomplishment was being born. But sure working on projects that go into space, looking for new life, controlling satellites that rotate the Earth is much less impressive than having the first name Prince. ��
Not trying to be snarky, but let's have some perspective.
It might be the American in me but actually accomplishing something in life like being a scientist of any kind let alone working for NASA is something to be applauded and impressed by.

Last edited:
:previous: Perhaps try reading my post. I never dissed accomplishments.

Accomplishment is important. If you actually read my posts, I have stated more then once Dara's beauty, intelligence and accomplishment are what are important. HER accomplishments.

The kind of people who care about accomplishments, are not the kind of people who care 'what stock you come from' which is what I was addressing. The people worried about 'stock' are concerned about how blue your blood is, how old your pedigree is, how ancient your title is.

In the dating world where 'who is my daddy' Dara doesnt hold a candle stick to Beatrice. Dara's father has an impressive career indeed, no argument. But he has no pedigree, no title, no money, no influence. These are the type of things 'the right stock' people look for. Beatrice is the granddaughter of the queen, her father is a royal duke, the family has plenty of personal money. Beatrice's husband will be married to a blood princess, and that comes with huge influence. Other then interesting dinner table conversation at Christmas, Dara's father offers none of this.

In the dating world (the modern dating world) where one actually looks at the person and not their blood lines, Dara can certainly hold her own. She is intelligent, highly educated, and a hugely succesful career.

That was the point you seem to miss when skipping over my posts. No one is dissing actual accomplishment. Simply stating her dad's accomplishment plays little to no role in whether she is a sought after bride.

Back
Top Bottom