Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JR76

Heir Apparent
City
Malmö
Country
Sweden
Best Man: a friend of Edoardo (I don't know if he has any siblings).

Edo has two siblings - his sister Natalia Yeomans and his brother Alby Shale

Edo has two siblings - his sister Natalia Yeomans and his brother Alby Shale
Her also has 3 step-siblings, Hugo, Phoebe and Jack Williams-Ellis.

As Eugenie's husband has the thread about his family (and that thread was set before he became Eugenie's husband), I think Edoardo also deserves the same.

Here there are basic informations about his closest family:

Count Edoardo Alessandro M Mapelli Mozzi (known as Edo) was born in Westminster, 1st November, 1983, son of Count Alessandro (Alex) Mapelli Mozzi, and his former wife the former Nicola D. Burrows. He has an elder sister Natalia Alice, born in 1981, wife of Mr Tod Yeomans.

His father, who was born in 1951, is a British Olympian, an Alpine skier, took part in several events at the 1972 Olympic Games.

Edo's grandfather was Count Gian Paolo Mapelli Mozzi (1922-80), Italian aristocrat, who married Gigliola Stoppani. Count Gian Paolo was a son of Count Luigi Mapelli Mozzi (1894-1948), who married Nobile Maria Mercedes Baroli.

Count Luigi was a son of Count Paolo Mapelli Mozzi (1854-1921), who married Enrichetta Tarsis dei Conti di Castel d'Agogna (1866-1941). Count Paolo was the son of Count Alessandro Mapelli Mozzi (1815-79) who married Nobile Ippolita Giulino dei Conti di Vialba.

The Mapelli Mozzi name came about from the marriage of Count Alessandro's father, Nobile Gerolamo Mapelli (1785-1842) with Angela Mozzi.

Edo's mother married as her second husband Christopher M.H. Shale, a British businessman and Conservative politician, friend of former prime minister David Cameron. Mr Shale died from natural causes at Glastonbury, in June, 2011. Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie and their parents the Duke and Duchess of York attended Mr Shale's funeral.

Edo has a half-brother, Albemarle Christopher M.H. Shale, ten years his junior.

The Mapelli Mozzi family have several connections to the British aristocracy. Edo's cousin, Edward Ankarcrona, son of Countess Margaretha Mapelli Mozzi, married in 2006, Lady Lucinda Savile, a daughter of the Earl and Countess of Mexborough.

Although he enjoys the title of "Count" he is a British subject and technically cannot use a foreign title in this country. Foreign styles and titles were confined to those who received a Royal Warrant from King George V in 1932.

It is reported that Edo has a two-year-old son, Christopher Woolf "Wolfie", from a previous relationship.

Source: https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2018/11/count-edouard-mapelli-mozzi-princess.html

Last edited:
I suppose the family is Catholic, as most Italian families are, but is he?

What school did he attend?

I don't think we can say he enjoys the title of Count. In Italy, if he has an Italian passport, the nobility was abolished and the titles are not officially used or recognised. In the UK, his family's title is not recognised thus he is an untitled commoner.

Last edited:
This is very interesting information.

Anyone knows something more about his career, education, etc. they let it post here.

I wonder if Natalia and Ted Yeomans have children; Albemarle Christopher Shale is probably single.

I don't think we can say he enjoys the title of Count. In Italy, if he has an Italian passport, the nobility was abolished and the titles are not officially used or recognised. In the UK, his family's title is not recognised thus he is an untitled commoner.

When he had a family member die (grandfather?) years ago was the funeral Church of England? I remember someone said The Yorks were present.

LaRae

When he had a family member die (grandfather?) years ago was the funeral Church of England? I remember someone said The Yorks were present.

LaRae

That was his stepfather I think

I posted this on the engagement forum but I guess it belongs here:

We know Edo is Italian and English but for the Danish readers of this forum, his father's maternal grandmother, Betty (Jeppesen) Stoppani, was born in Thisted, Denmark on 28 August 1896.

Here's a link to her baptismal record:
Thisted parish, Hundborg, Thisted - Churchbooks

You will also find more information about the Mapelli-Mozzi family at the Peerage News discussion group:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/peerage-news/BJJtouIJ9hw/Husjh4u9CAAJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Edo's father Alex was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina but attended Downside School in Somerset [Downside is a Catholic boarding school]. Alex's mother, Countess Gigliola Mapelli Mozzi and his grandmother, Betty Stoppani, also moved to England at that time, and lived at Park House, Bridge End, Warwick.

Source: The Coventry Evening Telegraph, 3 September 1970 (available in Findmypast).

Apparently the Countess and Alex's father Count Gian lived apart. Gian was still alive when Alex married Edo's mother in 1978. At that time he lived in Ponte San Pietro, Bergamo, Italy while Countess Gigliola still lived at Park House.

Apparently his father Alex was raised Catholic but I don't know about Edo. I don't believe his mother is Catholic.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he attended a Catholic school, that would mean it is possible he follows the faith of his Italian ancestors.
That would make the Princess the most senior (high in succession) British royal to marry a Catholic, right?

If he attended a Catholic school, that would mean it is possible he follows the faith of his Italian ancestors.
That would make the Princess the most senior (high in succession) British royal to marry a Catholic, right?

Edo's father attended the Catholic school.

But I don't think his mother is Catholic which means Edo might not be.

Edo was born in 1st November 1983.
He looks so young I cannot believe will be 36-years in two months.

I am so happy for both of them. And I'm looking forward to another Royal Wedding.

Last edited:
Isn't Gigliola Mapelli-Mozzi Italian having been born in Rome so there's a strong possibility that she was raised RC not that it really matters what denomination she is.

Yes, Edo's grandmother Gigliola Mapelli Mozzi was probably Catholic.

But I don't think Edo's mother Nikki is. She's English, not Italian.

BTW - Gigliola was born in Milan, Italy 11 January 1926, the daughter of Onoro Stoppani and Betty (nee Jeppesen). Here's a link to her 1956 immigration card (with photograph). You'll need to create a free account to view it:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KNGQ-YL4

Last edited:
Yes I doubt Nikki Shale is RC though I'm not 100% on that.

Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi

• Director of Banda, a property development firm whose mission is to creare 'exceptional homes.'

• He also co-founded the charity Cricket Builds Hope. The organization that coaches people to play cricket in Rwanda 'as a tool for positive social change.'

Last edited:
^ Its awfully pleasing to see a lover of our National Sport joining the Family - the complete lack interest shown in it , by anyone younger then the Duke of Edinburgh has been lamentable...

i didn't know edoardo was an italian count, nor that he had a son with a previous partner.

Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi

• Director of Banda, a property development firm whose mission is to creare 'exceptional homes.'

• He also co-founded the charity Cricket Builds Hope. The organization that coaches people to play cricket in Rwanda 'as a tool for positive social change.'

Interesting choice of a charity to set up. I haven't seen anyone playing cricket in Rwanda but it sounds as if he think that's what the country needs. Wondering how he is trying to bring about positive social change by having people playing cricket (although bringing sports into people's lives would normally be positive but I guess they would have picked a different sport).

I didn't know Edo had a son either. I'd like to think he would be included in the bridal party and that he will have a positive relationship with his new stepmother and her family.

i didn't know edoardo was an italian count, nor that he had a son with a previous partner.

The title is defunct and he doesn't use it...nor does his father.

LaRae

• He is. The Mapelli Mozi's are part of the Italian nobility but their title is no longer officially recognized by the Italian Republic nor in the UK. He will be the second member of the British Royal Family to be part of the old Italian nobility. Lady Nicholas Windsor is also descended from the old Croatian and Italian nobility.

• He has a young son called Wolfie with Dara Huang, his ex-fiancee.

Last edited:
This photo in the DM looks like a Catholic Christening (I assume it's Woolfie with his parents). Thus I think he is a Catholic and, practicing or not, follows the tradition.

But I don't think Edo's mother Nikki is. She's English, not Italian.
You know, there are Catholic families in England...

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for the photo. Yes that's Woolfie and Dara with Edo.

This photo in the DM looks like a Catholic Christening (I assume it's Woolfie with his parents). Thus I think he is a Catholic and, practicing or not, follows the tradition.

You get that baptismal candle in a CoE Christening as well, I don't think you can really tell from that picture. Though if he is a Catholic that doesn't present any problems today, unless he really wanted any kids with Bea to be Catholic and then they wouldn't be in the line of succession. That's not a big deal but may sting a bit for her and Andrew.

You get that baptismal candle in a CoE Christening as well, I don't think you can really tell from that picture. Though if he is a Catholic that doesn't present any problems today, unless he really wanted any kids with Bea to be Catholic and then they wouldn't be in the line of succession. That's not a big deal but may sting a bit for her and Andrew.

The new rules also allow members of the Royal Family to marry a Roman Catholic and become King or Queen. However, a Roman Catholic royal still cannot become the monarch, which is an utmost theoretical exercise for an eventual child of Beatrice.

Back
Top Bottom