Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one has answered whether or not Edo speaks Italian. I haven't found any mention in his bio details online. I would suspect that he does speak Italian. It's not unusual for many well-educated Europeans to speak multiple languages.

Edo's Instagram includes some great photos of the properties he develops and sells:
https://www.instagram.com/edomapellimozzi/?hl=en

But it's unfortunately not uncommon for many well educated British people not to speak anything but English. I have a friend who has a similar family history except Swedish and French and she speaks neither fluently but is highly educated and has relatives in both countries etc. I might be doing him a big disservice but I don't think it's a given. It's one of the areas British people/the education system gets lazy compared to our continental counterparts, even if connections. Especially if he hasn't spent a lot of time with his father compared to his step father, I believe there were rumours about that when they first started dating.

Last edited:
The British media loves to put a label on people. By labelling him an "Italian tycoon" they're just preparing for a narrative they'll use against him for the rest of his life.

See also 'Phil the Greek' who, while born in Greece is as British as tweed. Having lived here since he was 7 and been in the British armed services.

No one has answered whether or not Edo speaks Italian. I haven't found any mention in his bio details online. I would suspect that he does speak Italian. It's not unusual for many well-educated Europeans to speak multiple languages.

Edo's Instagram includes some great photos of the properties he develops and sells:
https://www.instagram.com/edomapellimozzi/?hl=en

I think he's just as likely to speak French or Spanish as he is to speak Italian.
He grew up in the UK; probably has visited Italy and has some relatives there but doesn't have a home there.

Edo's ancestry has been traced back to an illegitimate son of King Federigo II (or III) of Sicily (1272-1337).

Federigo was a descendant of several other royal families (of course) including Thibaut II, Count of Champagne, the older brother of King Stephen of England and maternal grandson of William the Conqueror.

https://maltagenealogy.com/Edoardo-Mapelli-Mozzi

But Edoardo is referred to as "Conte" in that document. I thought his Italian title had been abolished?

But Edoardo is referred to as "Conte" in that document. I thought his Italian title had been abolished?
The Republic of Italy does not recognise titles of nobility but that does not mean that the nobility and their titles have gone away. It's still there and many families retain their wealth, their status and use their titles socially. Nobody in Italy would find it strange if Edo used his title in and, British legislators aside, neither would most other Europeans.

Last edited:
The Republic of Italy does not recognise titles of nobility but that does not mean that the nobility and their titles have gone away. It's still there and many families retain their wealth, their status and use their titles socially. Nobody in Italy would find it strange if Edo used his title in and, British legislators aside, neither would most other Europeans.

I think its rather silly to keep on using titles of nobility in a republic.. its like still calling yourself King of X when you are living in exile adn your family has not reigned in 3 generations...

I think its rather silly to keep on using titles of nobility in a republic.. its like still calling yourself King of X when you are living in exile adn your family has not reigned in 3 generations...

Titles belong to families. And it makes sense for families to continue using them. It is a tradition.

Isn't that a family tree, not a legal document?

Used socially, yes, but in obedience to the law the titles have indeed "gone away" from official documents. Wasn't there a court case concerning one of the Savoys, indicating that he is named in legal documents as simply Mr. Savoia Aosta?

Titles belong to families. And it makes sense for families to continue using them. It is a tradition.

I would say that whether such traditions make sense must take into account their society and its culture and laws. It may make sense for families to continue using abolished titles in Italy, but it would make little sense in countries such as Austria or China.

Last edited:
Oh well. Whether or not he is "allowed" to use his title or not, Edo is an undisputed aristocrat, descended from kings.

His line stretches back just as far or even further than his bride's(for people who care about that;))

If he and Beatrice have no sons, will the Mapelli-Mozzi title and properties go to Christopher Woolf?

Since the title does not exist, legally i cant see how it woudl go to anyone....

Legal or not...the title will continue. Alessandro Mapelli-Mozzi insisted it will shortly before his son's wedding.

The "illegality" of the Greek Royal titles has not impeded Constantine and his children and grandchildren from using them. Ditto the Hanovers.

Some families still make a big deal about titles only going to "legitimate" heirs, even if the titles themselves are merely fiction. I have no idea what the Mapelli Mozzi family do. Wolfie could call himself whatever he likes considering there's nothing legal or illegal about it.

Theoretically *all* his children could call themselves "Counts/Countesses" socially but Italian nobility conventions. I doubt they will though.

Oh well. Whether or not he is "allowed" to use his title or not, Edo is an undisputed aristocrat, descended from kings.

A lot of people can trace their ancestry back to kings, further back than the current BRF (my uncle claims we do:rolleyes: ) but in this case he certainly is very upper class/aristocrat on both sides.

Most people in the UK wouldn't bat an eye lid either at someone with a title or ask to see the LPs before agreeing to use it. It's just that they aren't legally usable in either the UK *or* Italy. It's not as if Edo uses Count MM everywhere (or his sister calling herself Contessa) but BP insisted on only calling him "Mr."

Personally I do find it a little affected and meaningless, once it gets to the point that nobody now alive was born when the titles were actually legal to keep using them but each to their own. Titles aren't innate in a person, they were given to some families by the government (King) and taken away by another (republic usually). I get that there's a hell of a lot of history, lineage, pride and feeling there that doesn't go away, but that's what it boils down to.

Last edited:
I think the matter is quite simple - as we already know, Italian noble titles were abolished and have no legal recognition. However, they are still used as courtesy titles by those who are entitled to do so and by those who wish to refer to them in that way.

Since Edoardo doesn't refer to himself in that way, it is rather an academic issue.

His line stretches back just as far or even further than his bride's(for people who care about that;))

If he and Beatrice have no sons, will the Mapelli-Mozzi title and properties go to Christopher Woolf?

Since Edo wasn't married to Woolfie's mother, I don't think he would be entitled to the title "Count," even if Edo had a legal right to it (which he doesn't).

I should also point that the original title only extended to male members of the family. In other words, while Edo's grandfather Gian Paolo and his brothers were all Counts, their sisters weren't Countesses.

Finally, Edo's grandfather Gian Paolo was a second son, so presumably any family property was inherited by the older son and his descendants.

Last edited:

Unlike in the British peerage, all male children of an Italian count were normally counts themselves. That applies only to legitimate children though.

In some countries that have a similar system of nobility, for example the Netherlands, legitimized children (i.e. children born out of wedlock who can legally use their biological father's family name) are now allowed to inherit titles of nobility too, see the Law on the Nobility of 1994. In the Italian republic, however, the nobility has been abolished and is no longer regulated by public law, so there is no legal rule about the mode of transmission of titles. If we go by the pre-1946 rules, I suspect Woolf would be excluded as an illegitimate son.

Last edited:
I hope this belongs here. Today is the 37th Birthday of Count Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, aka Edo Mapelli Mozzi, husband of 4 months to Pss Beatrice of York. A very happy Birthday Edo.

Edo's cousin got engaged:

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2022/02/de-stacpoolewiggin-engagement.html

The engagement was announced 26 February, 2022, between Hugo Malachy E. De Stacpoole [born 1992], third son of David Oliver de Stacpoole [born 1951], of Burnham Overy, Staithe, Norfolk, scion of that Irish landed family, and his wife the former [Venetia] Jane M. Bratby [born 1958], & Tara Daisy Wiggin [born 1994], scion of the Wiggin baronets, elder daughter of Mark David Wiggin [born 1 August, 1963], of Ludlow, Shropshire, and his wife the former Philippa Burrows [born 1965].

Tara Wiggin is a niece of Nicola Diana Williams-Ellis, MBE [nee Burrows, born 1956], and is a first cousin of Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi [born 1 Nov, 1983], husband of HRH Princess Beatrice of York [born 8 Aug, 1988].

The head of the de Stacpoole family, Hugo's uncle, holds the Papal title Duke and Marquess De Stacpoole and the French title of Count Stacpoole.

Edoardo's step-sister got engaged:

The engagement was announced 3 August, 2022, between Raoul de Lantsheere, younger son of Mr and Mrs Jean-François de Lantsheere, and Phoebe Constance Mary Williams-Ellis [born 1994], scion of that landed gentry family, daughter of David Hugo Martyn Williams-Ellis and his former wife Mrs Serena Jane Clare Williams-Ellis [nee Stapleton, born 17 July, 1961], descended from the Ley baronets.

The bride-to-be is a step-daughter of Mrs Nicola Diana Williams-Ellis, MBE [nee Burrows], who is mother of Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, husband of HRH Princess Beatrice of York.

Phoebe Williams-Ellis's descent from the Ley baronets:-

Sir Gerald Ley, 3rd Baronet [1902-80] > Annabel Alison Ley [b 1939] > Serena Stapleton [b 1961] > Phoebe Williams-Ellis

Source: Peerage News

Has the Stacpoole wedding taken place yet? Did we miss it?

Back
Top Bottom