Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, in fact he was born and raised in England not Italy.

I'm not even sure how much time Edo's father Alex spent in Italy as a child. His parents lived on a ranch near Buenos Aires (where he was born in 1951) for most of his childhood, then at some point he was sent to a boarding school in England. His mother and grandmother also moved to England to be near him. He represented Britain in the 1972 Olympics, then met and married Edo's mother in England in 1978.

The groom is often described as Italian, but he has just as much illustrious British ancestry as Continental.

I find that odd and am curious regarding the reason for it, given that he has never resided in Italy and does not hold Italian citizenship. It is analogous to describing the current Duke of Gloucester's children (or, given what Gawin posted above, his grandchildren) as Danish - which does not seem to occur.

More information on Edo's paternal family. He also has South American ancestry (Uruguay).

https://histoiresroyales.fr/origine...-arbre-genealogique-ancetres-nobles-italiens/

I need to correct a statement made in the above article: "Les parents de Nikki, David et Sue, vivent en France."

That's not true. Edo's maternal grandfather David Burrows died in 1993.

A year later his grandmother Susan married her second husband, Greville Wyndham Tufnell. She died just eleven months ago, on 1 November 2018. Here's a link to her death announcement, submitted by Edo's mother, Nicola Williams Ellis:
https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/228505/tufnell-susan-arnot

I find that odd and am curious regarding the reason for it, given that he has never resided in Italy and does not hold Italian citizenship. It is analogous to describing the current Duke of Gloucester's children (or, given what Gawin posted above, his grandchildren) as Danish - which does not seem to occur.

Probably the VERY Italian name and surname!;)

I wonder if Edo even speaks the language?

The groom is often described as Italian
The British media loves to put a label on people. By labelling him an "Italian tycoon" they're just preparing for a narrative they'll use against him for the rest of his life.

The Rwanda cricket was the brainchild of Christopher Shale, Edo’s step-father. He died suddenly before he had it going. His family and friends set up the charity in his memory; Mr. Shale's son Alby Shale is currently on the board of trustees. Edo and half-brother Alby Shale are listed as co-founders.

Ms. Christopher Shale did a lot of volunteering work in Rwanda, including being one of the founding fathers of Project Umubano, charities devoted to improving the lives of survivors of the Rwanda's genocide.

Although cricket is not as popular as soccer in Africa, it is played a lot at high level in mostly former British Colonies (Anglophones) such countries like South Africa, Kenya, and Zimbabwe. Now it seems the sport is spreading into the Francophones countries.
Thanks, that makes a bit more sense - great that his stepson decided to be involved in his work in Rwanda as well. Although I do think that his (mr Shale's) own fondness of cricket played a significant role in deciding on focusing on cricket as a way of bringing people together. It being fairly unknown might have helped to make it a 'neutral' option.

To what Francophone countries is cricket spreading? In which countries has it raised to the level of having national competitions in cricket?

Edit: just googled 'Umubano Project' and it is advertised as the Conservative Party's social action project in Rwanda. The three stated reasons for the project are:
1. Do a little bit of good in Rwanda
2. Provide a life-changing experience for participating Conservatives
3. (considered most important) Gain support for international development policies

Last edited:

Two reasons really:

1. His title

2. And the tendency to focus on the father when speaking of pedigree.

Really it leans more to 1. There is so much focus in the press and in comments that he is a 'count' even though the title doesnt exist. That Beatrice is the first grandchild to marry someone with a title. The title is of course Italian, so whether Edo actually ever lived in Italy or not, the focus is on his Italian roots.

But when we look at pedigree, the focus is usually on the father. It seems in that sense we look at humans like horses. That is why the Gloucester kids are not often referred to being 1/2 Danish though they are.

Edo is really British, born and raised, of half-Italian descent. But that doesnt have the same ring to it.

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense - great that his stepson decided to be involved in his work in Rwanda as well. Although I do think that his (mr Shale's) own fondness of cricket played a significant role in deciding on focusing on cricket as a way of bringing people together. It being fairly unknown might have helped to make it a 'neutral' option.

To what Francophone countries is cricket spreading? In which countries has it raised to the level of having national competitions in cricket?

Edit: just googled 'Umubano Project' and it is advertised as the Conservative Party's social action project in Rwanda. The three stated reasons for the project are:
1. Do a little bit of good in Rwanda
2. Provide a life-changing experience for participating Conservatives
3. (considered most important) Gain support for international development policies

To better illustrate what was meant by the third point:

Our third reason – and the most important one – was because these visits would mean that within the Party there would be a group of activists and supporters who really understood what works and does not work in international development. They would be able to stand up and speak with first-hand knowledge and passion, able to support and back up those policy changes which we introduced while in opposition and implemented when we came into Government in 2010.

It makes sense. If you are passionate about something, you are going to fight harder for it. Its not simply something tick off on a list. Getting into the country and getting your hands dirty and seeing it first hand will open eyes in a way reading a simple report never will.

Never hurts to have more politicians aware of the problems out there, and what can be done to help.

Great to see Edo continuing his stepfather's goals. While Edo himself is not a politician, there is also the non-political side to this. Sports have always been a way to cross boundaries and communicate without words. Kids, and adults as well, are often drawn together through sportmanship and laughter. Strengthens bonds.

As for Francophone cricket players, cricket has been growing outside of English speaking countries. There are 92 member countries of the International cricket union (though the 12 full members are mainly commonwealth countries). France, Canada, Belgium, Cameroon and Luxembourg are among the at least partly Francophone countries which are.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Edo also has a stepbrother through his father's third marriage to Ebba Margaretha Antonia von Eckermann: Edward Gabriel Theodor Jansson Ankarcrona (born 3 February 1972).

Edward Ankarcrona married Lady Lucinda Savile in 2006:

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2006/02/ankarcronasavile-engagement.html

See also: Person Page

EDIT: He also has another stepbrother, Johan Ankarcrona (born 1969).
By the sound of it his stepbrother is descended from the Swedish nobility both on his father's and on his mother's side. Both Ankarcrona and von Eckermann are Swedish noble families. Naturally it could be the name acquired by his mum through marriage but both Ebba and Margaretha are common names in the family.

Last edited:
Two reasons really:

1. His title

2. And the tendency to focus on the father when speaking of pedigree.

Basically. Even if his father's family had mainly live and married in Britain for 200 years or more, with a surname like that (and a "title") he wasn't ever going to get labelled as anything other than "the Italian Count" by the press.

By the sound of it his stepbrother is descended from the Swedish nobility both on his father's and on his mother's side. Both Ankarcrona and von Eckermann are Swedish noble families. Naturally it could be the name acquired by his mum through marriage but both Ebba and Margaretha are common names in the family.

Yes, you're correct, Edo's stepmother is a Swedish aristocrat. She was born Ebba Margaretha Antonie von Eckermann, the daughter of Erik von Eckermann and Countess Ebba von Schwerin.

More about her mother:
Timeless Luxury: Countess von Eckermann - LVBX Magazine

She married her first husband Jan Ankarcrona in 1968 (divorced 1978) and had two sons: Johan (1969) and Edward (1972). The couple apparently moved to England around 1970 where Jan is manager of Fennoscandia Bank.

More about Jan Ankarcrona:
https://issuu.com/appliedsolutions/docs/debretts/34

After her divorce from Jan, Margaretha married (2) 1980 England to Stephen R. Campbell; (3) 1986 England to David M. Walter Ellis; and (4) Alex Mapelli Mozzi.

She appears to be Alex's third wife: married (1) 1978 England to Nicola Burrows (Edo's mother), divorced and (2) 1994 England to Fiona M. Wilson.

Last edited:
Basically. Even if his father's family had mainly live and married in Britain for 200 years or more, with a surname like that (and a "title") he wasn't ever going to get labelled as anything other than "the Italian Count" by the press.

Nothing prejudiced about that...ha. The media again trying to create narratives that don't exist.

LaRae

Edo also has a stepbrother through his father's third marriage to Ebba Margaretha Antonia von Eckermann: Edward Gabriel Theodor Jansson Ankarcrona (born 3 February 1972).

Edward Ankarcrona married Lady Lucinda Savile in 2006:

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2006/02/ankarcronasavile-engagement.html

See also: Person Page

EDIT: He also has another stepbrother, Johan Ankarcrona (born 1969).

Here's another piece of trivia: Lady Lucinda's older half-sister Lady Alethea Savile was involved with James Gilbey, of the infamous Squidgy tapes.

https://people.com/archive/a-damaged-heart-vol-42-no-15/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squidgygate

So...to sum it all up, Beatrice's fiance's stepbrother's wife's half-sister was involved with James Gilbey who was involved with Beatrice's father's brother's first wife Diana (Princess of Wales).

Got it?

:previous: Remember that old movie "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" that basically spoofed how many ways he was related/involved with how many different people??

That Edo!!:lol::lol:

Sorting out the Who's Who among the guests at this wedding is going to be an epic effort....

So...to sum it all up, Beatrice's fiance's stepbrother's wife's half-sister was involved with James Gilbey who was involved with Beatrice's father's brother's first wife Diana (Princess of Wales).
Edo's basically very much a toff.

Yes, you're correct, Edo's stepmother is a Swedish aristocrat. She was born Ebba Margaretha Antonie von Eckermann, the daughter of Erik von Eckermann and Countess Ebba von Schwerin.

More about her mother:
Timeless Luxury: Countess von Eckermann - LVBX Magazine

She married her first husband Jan Ankarcrona in 1968 (divorced 1978) and had two sons: Johan (1969) and Edward (1972). The couple apparently moved to England around 1970 where Jan is manager of Fennoscandia Bank.

More about Jan Ankarcrona:
https://issuu.com/appliedsolutions/docs/debretts/34

After her divorce from Jan, Margaretha married (2) 1980 England to Stephen R. Campbell; (3) 1986 England to David M. Walter Ellis; and (4) Alex Mapelli Mozzi.

She appears to be Alex's third wife: married (1) 1978 England to Nicola Burrows (Edo's mother), divorced and (2) 1994 England to Fiona M. Wilson.

Apparently Alex and Ebba had a company together but as from 2016 Ebba become the sole owner and changed her name back to von Eckermann (see here); so this could be her fourth and his third divorce (if they indeed divorced but that seems the most likely explanation).

And if so, formally I would say she is no longer his stepmother, nor are her children out of either one of her previous marriages his stepsiblings.

Last edited:
Yikes..Edo's father has had four wives?! :ohmy:

I apologise if this has been asked before; but even though he is essentially British in "personality" and familiarity, does Edo speak at least some Italian?

Apparently Alex and Ebba had a company together but as from 2016 Ebba become the sole owner and changed her name back to von Eckermann (see here); so this could be her fourth and his third divorce (if they indeed divorced but that seems the most likely explanation).

And if so, formally I would say she is no longer his stepmother, nor are her children out of either one of her previous marriages his stepsiblings.
Judging by their private lives they're probably both getting ready to marry someone else...

:previous: While we are waiting for more news of the wedding, the next best thing is the groom's family. What a soap opera-even though a very posh one!:lol::ohmy:

Three that I know of:
(1) 1978 - Nicola Burrows (Edo's mother), divorced
(2) 1994 - Fiona M. Wilson
(3) Ebba Margaretha Antonie von Eckermann

But he was wife #3's fourth husband.

No, it seems he had three. His third wife had four husbands...

Edo's mother is currently married to her third husband as well. However, her second husband died about 8 years ago. So, she divorced only once.

I believe you're right. Her mother's 2018 death announcement lists Margareta [Ebba goes by her middle name] without a spouse but her brother Hans is listed with his wife Kerstin.

https://www.svd.se/dodsannonser#/Case/496385/Dodsannons?query=Ebba von Eckermann

The guest list just got smaller....

Does Edoardo's mother have any brothers and sister?

Does Edoardo's mother have any brothers and sister?

She has one older sister, one younger brother, and one younger sister:

#1 Carolyn Elizabeth Burrows (born 1954 died 2015) married 1976 to Graham N. Peck

#2 Richard D. Burrows (born 1959)

#3 Philippa A. Burrows (born 1965) married 1991 to Mark David Wiggin

More about Philippa: Person Page

Three that I know of:
(1) 1978 - Nicola Burrows (Edo's mother), divorced
(2) 1994 - Fiona M. Wilson
(3) Ebba Margaretha Antonie von Eckermann

But he was wife #3's fourth husband.

Anything known of this second wife? I have found no mention of her outside your posts.

No one has answered whether or not Edo speaks Italian. I haven't found any mention in his bio details online. I would suspect that he does speak Italian. It's not unusual for many well-educated Europeans to speak multiple languages.

Edo's Instagram includes some great photos of the properties he develops and sells:
https://www.instagram.com/edomapellimozzi/?hl=en

Attachments

• Wilson.JPG
    Wilson.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
No one has answered whether or not Edo speaks Italian. I haven't found any mention in his bio details online. I would suspect that he does speak Italian. It's not unusual for many well-educated Europeans to speak multiple languages.

Edo's Instagram includes some great photos of the properties he develops and sells:
https://www.instagram.com/edomapellimozzi/?hl=en

I asked the same questions and got no answer, but my guess based on Edo's education, background and social circle is that he is probably at least proficient in the Italian language.

Back
Top Bottom