Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Zara Tindall be successful in helping with royal duties? Suppose she accompanied her mother at some of Princess Anne's royal functions and learned directly from her.

Would Zara Tindall be successful in helping with royal duties? Suppose she accompanied her mother at some of Princess Anne's royal functions and learned directly from her.

Well they've had some controversies - most recently Peter with the milk ad. But Ann is popular and I think that maybe Zara and Peter wouldn't be bad choices to step up to royal roles. Don't know if it's possible seeing as they don't have titles.

In my opinion Eugenie's 'The Anti-Slavery Collective' is rather noteworthy. Unfortunately, it hasn't received that much of attention. Had more prominent royals done the same work, they would have been widely lauded for this initiative.

I thought she had been about to do a big highlight on sex trafficking & had to bail out because of you know what. The last thing she (or the BRF) needs is media attention on her talking about sex-slaves etc

Last edited:

Zara is not a royal worker. She has her own business interests and is occupied with them.

I thought she had been about to do a big highlight on sex trafficking & had to bail out because of you know what. The last thing she (or the BRF) needs is media attention on her talking about sex-slaves etc

Yes I think that this is a case where Andrew's awful behaviour has ruined something good that his daughter is doing...

In my opinion Eugenie's 'The Anti-Slavery Collective' is rather noteworthy. Unfortunately, it hasn't received that much of attention. Had more prominent royals done the same work, they would have been widely lauded for this initiative.

And her statement at her wedding about not being afraid to show your scars (in her case: from a scoliosis operation) most likely meant a lot for others who have visible scars either from scoliosis operations or resulting from other illnesses.

I didn't even know until recently that she had scoliosis..my sister had a bad form and had to have surgery to have a rod implanted in her back; I remember her in the hospital and then later recuperating. That statement is affirming for anyone who has had to deal with scars, physical or otherwise.

Once the British royal family was essentially The Queen, The Duke, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Alexandra. With in the periphery support from the Gloucesters and Princess Marina. It worked terrific. And that in a time when royals must be SEEN.

Now they are visible for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all possible media. One can really argue if a royal family of 10+ or even 10+ persons with hundreds of patronages (from the Galloway Cattle to the Millinery Guild) have any meaning anno 2020.

OK.

For instance, There seems to be little public interest in The Princess Royal's engagements and appointment schedule. Same for the Wessexes, The Duke of Kent, and Richard and Birgitte Gloucester.

It's not their faults of course. The now more senior descendants of King George V stepped up to help HM decades ago, when the young Queen was having children and did need help representing the Crown in the UK and abroad. Very limited media options then. And, these senior descendants have been superb in their work for the Crown.

So now, possibly due to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh's competitive nature and enduring influence, we have HM's ageing offspring competing in the numbers of their official engagements. Still competing.( It seems William and Catherine are approaching the patron role in a different manner.)

And, why does someone like Princess Anne need to travel to engagements with a team of policemen on motorcycles heralding her arrival when her visits are only reported in The Court Circular after the fact? If she insists on wearing 35 year old skirt suits to display her wonderful frugalness, she should walk the walk and take the train.

Last edited:
Just because events aren't reported in the national media in advance doesn't mean that the local media and other means are letting people know in advance, which is why someone like Princess Anne needs security. She also does so many engagements she needs transport to get her from one event to another on time.

Reactions: JSH
I, for one, see the Princess Royal's engagements in the media, so they don't go unnoticed being mentioned only in the Court Circular. Maybe they aren't splashed on front pages, but they ARE reported on. Same for the others outside of the Wales branch.

Just because events aren't reported in the national media in advance doesn't mean that the local media and other means are letting people know in advance, which is why someone like Princess Anne needs security. She also does so many engagements she needs transport to get her from one event to another on time.

If these events are so pressing and important, it is unusual that there is no regular national press interest. She has hundreds of engagements every year. Hardly any of them is commented on. They are not important for the regular taxpayer. A regular taxpayer likes to see Prince William and his wife, not get scowled at by Anne or bit by her dog.

You clearly don't like Anne.

If you have ever seen her on an event you would know that she smiles and talks to people in a friendly manner.

She doesn't take her dog with her either.

If these events are so pressing and important, it is unusual that there is no regular national press interest. She has hundreds of engagements every year. Hardly any of them is commented on. They are not important for the regular taxpayer. A regular taxpayer likes to see Prince William and his wife, not get scowled at by Anne or bit by her dog.

It is not like William and Catherine can take over all the hundreds of engagements done by Anne, the Wessexes, The Duke of Kent and the Gloucesters—nor, I imagine, do they want to do so.

And if it were my town, I’d rather a “lesser” royal visit in person than no royal at all.

I didn't even know until recently that she had scoliosis..my sister had a bad form and had to have surgery to have a rod implanted in her back; I remember her in the hospital and then later recuperating. That statement is affirming for anyone who has had to deal with scars, physical or otherwise.
Princess Eugenie has two metal rods and a number of screws in her back and neck. On World Scoliosis Day in 2018 she released the x-rays of her back, showing them. I remember reading that she once said that she came out of surgery some three inches taller than when she went in. Here is a story from 2018. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/a22020563/princess-eugenie-scoliosis/

I also have scoliosis and know of the issues involved. I did not have surgery as it was very dangerous when I was diagnosed in the early 1970s. Luckily mine is nowhere near as bad as Eugenie's was.

If you have ever seen her on an event you would know that she smiles and talks to people in a friendly manner.

That doesn't explain why this minor royal needs two motorcycle policemen to herald her arrival to engagements.

Anne is a minor royal? She's extremely hard working, right up there with Charles in annual engagement numbers. I can't see the Princess Royal as being a 'minor royal'.

She's one of the few Royals I'd ever care to meet. If I were an organization in the U.K. I'd be thrilled to bits that she came to support us. No she doesn't do the hugging and touching etc but in most of the pics I've seen of her working she is chatting and smiling with ppl there.

LaRae

That doesn't explain why this minor royal needs two motorcycle policemen to herald her arrival to engagements.

For security, in the same way as all the working royals, minor or not, need protection. You do know about the attempt to kidnap Anne in the seventies?

Since then security has been a prime concern and, of course, during public events, it's there to protect the public, not just the royal.

The mainstream Press doesn't report on the engagements of most of the older , working royals, apart from the Queen and Charles and Camilla. William and Kate (and Harry and Meghan before they stepped down) are relatively young, attractive and interesting to the media, so the Royal Rota is always there for them .

For the others, no mainstream coverage doesn't mean their visits aren't covered by local newspapers and tv. People like to be appreciated and a royal visit can be a big event for the people involved. Anne does a lot of these bread and butter engagements and does them well. I too appreciate her.

I once saw an interview with the very kind and sympathetic Duke of Gloucester who (together with his lovely wife) is a picture perfect example of how any royal should be.

He said that he would never ever expect the same treatment or media attentions to his working visits as when The Queen or The Prince of Wales arrives. Still he is more than happy to help out Wherever and Whenever he can as he sees it can make a big difference for the small local communities and business’es that would normally rarely or never get any attention.

I can easily see Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie filling those shoes more and more overtime.

It is dangerous to think that it is not important and not of any interest, just because it is not reported in The Times or Telegraph or visible at Sky News. Support for the monarchy has always been built among the real working people everywhere in the country. From the bottom and up to the top. Not vice versa.

And Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine can’t do everything alone.

This regular British taxpayer is very glad to see the Princess Royal out and about, as I'm sure are many of the other regular British taxpayers who work or volunteer in the hundreds of unsung institutions which she visits and supports every year.

Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie

This regular British taxpayer is very glad to see the Princess Royal out and about, as I'm sure are many of the other regular British taxpayers who work or volunteer in the hundreds of unsung institutions which she visits and supports every year.

I’m with you on that one, nor do I class her as a minor royal.

They are not important for the regular taxpayer. A regular taxpayer likes to see Prince William and his wife, not get scowled at by Anne or bit by her dog.

Source/ any proof for your widely inaccurate claim? I presume you’re also a regular taxpayer seeing as you’re so knowledgable about people’s opinions.

Last edited:

The fact that she smiles and talks to people in a friendly manner is hardly a reason to assign her multiple motorcycles and phalanxes of bodyguards. I think you're having me on.

I think at this point if a member of the family is willing to step up and do the duties of a working royal they will probably be considered for the job. Bea and Eugenie were always willing to take on that role.

The fact is that when the Princess Royal is doing engagements for the "Firm", the security that is decided on and how much security she is to have is decided by the Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard. Its them that make these decisions and then they're enacted.

I’m with you on that one, nor do I class her as a minor royal.

Source/ any proof for your widely inaccurate claim? I presume you’re also a regular taxpayer seeing as you’re so knowledgable about people’s opinions.

I pay no taxes in the UK. I live in the US.

I am a great supporter and fan of the BRF, but I am not blinkered.

I think that HM let her children develop their support teams outside of her direct supervision, and that decision is now coming home. Broadsheet papers reference their "silos".

The fact is that when the Princess Royal is doing engagements for the "Firm", the security that is decided on and how much security she is to have is decided by the Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard. Its them that make these decisions and then they're enacted.

… all paid for by British taxpayers. My point is, if this very important person is making these visits, accompanied by squads of coppers, can't she dress better? How much respect is paid if you're wearing an old 1970's piece of crap when the people you are meeting do better than you?

… all paid for by British taxpayers. My point is, if this very important person is making these visits, accompanied by squads of coppers, can't she dress better? How much respect is paid if you're wearing an old 1970's piece of crap when the people you are meeting do better than you?

I'm 100% positive there's a specific thread to discuss the Princess Royal's fashion choices. However, what on earth do her fashion choices have to do with whether or not she should be given police protection or how much police protection she should receive?

I think the matters pertaining to what she does is far more of value than the clothing she likes to wear. Respect isn't earned by having a wardrobe fresh off the runway. Its earned by doing the job she's there to do and doing it consistently year after year after year.

Princess Eugenie has two metal rods and a number of screws in her back and neck. On World Scoliosis Day in 2018 she released the x-rays of her back, showing them. I remember reading that she once said that she came out of surgery some three inches taller than when she went in. Here is a story from 2018. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/a22020563/princess-eugenie-scoliosis/

I also have scoliosis and know of the issues involved. I did not have surgery as it was very dangerous when I was diagnosed in the early 1970s. Luckily mine is nowhere near as bad as Eugenie's was.

Thanks for the info ! I also had a much milder form - I think an S instead of a C... but it’s never interfered with my lifestyle...

As to Anne, she’s the daughter of the Queen, so she’s not a minor Royal. Who cares about her clothing choices ? The people she meets care far more about her reaching out to them - they have bigger issues than what Anne wears.

I was at a luncheon where the guest speaker was a state trooper in my state. He was talking about the duties of a state trooper and one of the duties was to protect the governor whenever he was in town.

So it's not just the royals. If one of them showed up in my neck of the woods our police would send people out to protect them.

I think the matters pertaining to what she does is far more of value than the clothing she likes to wear. Respect isn't earned by having a wardrobe fresh off the runway. Its earned by doing the job she's there to do and doing it consistently year after year after year.

I completly agree.

Anne is hard working and honest. Her clothes look clean, presentable and appropriate. She is greatly admired.
I respect that she wears her old clothes - it's perfect for the planet and the budget and a great example.

Charities and people whom she meets obviously appreciate her efforts.
She is true blue, royal through and through.

Beatrice and Eugenie would recognise all the fine attributes of their Aunt.
I think they are willing and able to carry out some engagements for their Grandmother.
The question is how many?

Last edited:
This thread is not about the fashion choices of the Princess Royal. Let's move on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom