Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2018, 06:00 AM
Majesty

And where Beatrice will move out?

Old 04-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It depends on the view of higher education (which also varies between countries; the UK is rather 'output focused' in that the Higher Education focus is far more on preparation for working life than most continental countries - that still have 'binary systems' which distinguish between university education and higher professional education - while the latter is considered university as well in other countries (typically as '(state) college' or 'post- 1992', 'newer university' or 'teaching university', etc). Some degrees (higher professional degrees) prepare you specifically for a profession, however, most degrees at research universities aim to give you an academic education that will serve you quite broadly in various fields.
Thanks for additional information!
In my personal opinion, Princess Beatrice would have benefited more from a degree that facilitated an independent plum career.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Did Andrew push for Beatrice and Eugenie to be on the slate for CHOGM events to show they should be having more royal engagements? The York princesses hardly get a write up unless their names are tied to a scandal. Kate and Meghan dominate the royal news cycle. I wonder if the engagements are assigned in part who draws the most attention?
Eh, honestly don't know if Beatrice would get more attention if she attends more royal engagement. Princess Anne doesn't get much attention and she's right up there with Charles in terms of amount of engagements she attend each year.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't believe it was a 'mutual' decision at all.

She, reportedly (in many news outlets and from my personal sources) went to both Charles and William to ask them to allow her to do more in the Jubilee year as she wanted to help but was told clearly by both of them she was 'surplus to requirements'.

Eugenie never wanted that life but Beatrice did. Her uncle and cousin though have never wanted her in that role but they didn't tell her until virtually she had finished university. That was why at school and uni she studied courses of interest to her but not in fields where she wanted to work. She studied History and History of Ideas but wanted to work in business so should have studied more Maths/Business based subjects. Had she been told, what she was told in 2011, when choosing her later high school and then university subjects she would have chosen differently.

I believe that, in the UK, History is a degree that is actually considered a good preparation for many careers in the private sector, as well as politics and public life, because it focuses mostly on analytical skills and data interpretation rather than traditional chronological history per se. Besides, if she wants to expand her academic training, Beatrice can still go for a graduate (in UK terminology, "postgraduate") degree.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't believe it was a 'mutual' decision at all.

She, reportedly (in many news outlets and from my personal sources) went to both Charles and William to ask them to allow her to do more in the Jubilee year as she wanted to help but was told clearly by both of them she was 'surplus to requirements'.

Eugenie never wanted that life but Beatrice did. Her uncle and cousin though have never wanted her in that role but they didn't tell her until virtually she had finished university. That was why at school and uni she studied courses of interest to her but not in fields where she wanted to work. She studied History and History of Ideas but wanted to work in business so should have studied more Maths/Business based subjects. Had she been told, what she was told in 2011, when choosing her later high school and then university subjects she would have chosen differently.
I feel like it's unfair to put that on William and Charles. It was her decision to spend her college years taking the classes that she did. And she did find out in 2011, but I think she could've gone back to school to further her studies since then if she wished. She certainly has the resources. I'm just a few months younger than Beatrice, and decided in 2016 to go back and get my MBA while still working. Her choices didn't end before 2011.

And let's not forget that many people change career paths in their adult life. So having thought you'd be doing something else before you were 22 is hardly a new concept. Many people flourish even with that.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I feel like it's unfair to put that on William and Charles. It was her decision to spend her college years taking the classes that she did. And she did find out in 2011, but I think she could've gone back to school to further her studies since then if she wished. She certainly has the resources. I'm just a few months younger than Beatrice, and decided in 2016 to go back and get my MBA while still working. Her choices didn't end before 2011.

And let's not forget that many people change career paths in their adult life. So having thought you'd be doing something else before you were 22 is hardly a new concept. Many people flourish even with that.
But, again, I was just pointing out that, in the UK, it is not that unusual to find people working in finance or consulting whose bachelor's degree was in
History. In other words, History is a far more prestigious undergraduate degree in the UK than it is in the US for example, where any degree that is not strictly STEM is pretty much considered a "soft" and useless degree these days.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Courtier

Just about any degree discipline will see you meeting the essential entry criteria for graduate positions in a whole host of sectors in the UK, including business, finance, banking and law. So long as the degree is not something totally at the other end of the academic scale e.g. modern dance or something. If you get a 1st or a 2.1 from a decent university then you're going to be fine. The hardest part of getting one of these roles, which have very attractive starting salaries and offer the chance to progress quickly up the ladder, is the torturous assessment days.

The degree is important in showing that you are used to working on your own initiative, can source and analyse data from a range of sources and can succeed in high pressure environments.

Your actual degree discipline is not so important most of the time unless you want to work in healthcare or engineering for example. Most of the job descriptions for these graduate jobs don't even list a preferred degree discipline at all.

Beatrice's degree would have left her with any number of options in sectors that she seems to demonstrate a degree of interest in (to say nothing of her personal contacts and connections!). She's chosen not to truly commit to any of these options from what I can see. That is not the fault of Charles or William IMO.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Did Andrew push for Beatrice and Eugenie to be on the slate for CHOGM events to show they should be having more royal engagements? The York princesses hardly get a write up unless their names are tied to a scandal. Kate and Meghan dominate the royal news cycle. I wonder if the engagements are assigned in part who draws the most attention?
Why on earth would Andrew do so if the gossips are correct and the Queen and POW have absolutely squashed previous begging and grovelling from Andrew?

Needless to say, I do not believe the gossip and find the continual defaming of Beatrice and Eugenie for no good reason unfair and malicious. I do not understand the sniping about Beatrice and would love to hear about an actual scandal or two in which she has been pivotal or even involved in.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:37 PM
Aristocracy

Honestly the reason Beatrice and Eugenie likely played as large a role as they did during CHOGM was because Kate was out of commission due to her pregnancy. If Kate hadn't been on maternity leave several, though probably not all, of the events the Yorks attended could have seen them replaced by Kate.

Their increased presence at CHOGM doesn't signify their ascent to becoming working royals, it signals that there was an increase in engagements and a major hole to fill with Kate being out of commission.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

We also have to keep in mind that CHOGM doesn't usually take place in London, and usually don't see that many royals. I believe it's only been HMQ, DoE, PoW, and DoC in the past when they traveled. We also have to consider the fact that Meghan hasn't actually married into the family, and thus not official royal, so she didn't attend the formal dinner.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Nobility

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillVictoria View Post
Honestly the reason Beatrice and Eugenie likely played as large a role as they did during CHOGM was because Kate was out of commission due to her pregnancy. If Kate hadn't been on maternity leave several, though probably not all, of the events the Yorks attended could have seen them replaced by Kate.

Their increased presence at CHOGM doesn't signify their ascent to becoming working royals, it signals that there was an increase in engagements and a major hole to fill with Kate being out of commission.
Late to the party, but Beatrice was at the Fashion exchange event where and Sophie and Kate were both present. I think the York gals were at CHOGM banquet because their presence was wanted not necessairly because someone was out of comission. Not that they will become working royals anytime soon, but I dont think they are getting events because Kate is out of commission either
Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillVictoria View Post

The girls attended one event officially - the banquet.

The other events were those associated either with Pitch@Palace or their own charities and events they normally attend.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Majesty

Beatrice is attending the Duke of Edinburgh awards reception later this month with William and Edward.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Beatrice is attending the Duke of Edinburgh awards reception later this month with William and Edward.
If the Duke of York doesn't have an event that day will she get CC credit, it's happenned before when they girls aren't with their father they don't get credit , but since she is on the invitation I wonder if it will be different?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Eh, honestly don't know if Beatrice would get more attention if she attends more royal engagement. Princess Anne doesn't get much attention and she's right up there with Charles in terms of amount of engagements she attend each year.
Yes Anne is known to be an extremely hard working and knowledgeable royal who takes her position very seriously but she also doesn't do the attention bit. She just goes her way, doing her job and smiling to all that attend. I don't believe she cares if her photo is in the media or not. She seems to conduct her engagements as a job that she prides herself in doing well. She doesn't need the attention. Different type of royal.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
If the Duke of York doesn't have an event that day will she get CC credit, it's happenned before when they girls aren't with their father they don't get credit , but since she is on the invitation I wonder if it will be different?
She was credited when she attended the fashion event with Kate and Sophie earlier this year.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
She was credited when she attended the fashion event with Kate and Sophie earlier this year.
Yes, I know that is the case, but there was a mention of the Duke of York's birthday. Had their been no mention would she have received her own entry?
Old 04-26-2019, 01:29 AM
Majesty

To be honest, I don't think that Beatrice is cut out to be a Career Women, not all women are. She seems to come alive when she is doing her charity work and I feel it is a shame that passion is wasted.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
To be honest, I don't think that Beatrice is cut out to be a Career Women, not all women are. She seems to come alive when she is doing her charity work and I feel it is a shame that passion is wasted.
I tend to agree.
I think what would make Beatrice happiest is a life somewhat like Sophie's, where she could combine family life (I do think she would like to be married and settled) with her patronages.

It's too bad she will not be an official member of The Firm; I suspect she counted on that and everything else now seems second-best.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I tend to agree.
I think what would make Beatrice happiest is a life somewhat like Sophie's, where she could combine family life (I do think she would like to be married and settled) with her patronages.

It's too bad she will not be an official member of The Firm; I suspect she counted on that and everything else now seems second-best.
I agree, I think her heart was in being a working member of the family and she's never really been interested in anything else in the same way.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles