Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She will be incredibly busy then! :rolleyes: IF she does manage to obtain a junior position at a 'fashion magazine', perhaps they will be able to give her a free makeover. I don't hold out much hope though! :lol:

I worked as an editor at a fashion magazine once and believe me, if times have not changed enormously, she will learn a thing or two about people... especially about women who want and who need to have a career in fashion world.

She should better ask her greek cousin-in-law Marie Chantal for a job, that would keep her feathers intact.... :D

Prince Harry's gap year saw him in Queensland, Australia wrangling cattle and in Lesotho, Africa where he helped build a clinic and bridge. There was talk in January of 2007 Princess Beatrice wanting to spend her gap year working with her mum for the charity Springboard for Children. Did that ever happen this year? I can only find bits about her traveling with friends and going to parties.

Oh well, you know, Beatrice is busy building up "Brand Beatrice"!!!! :lol:
She is going to be a fashion designer, and the first royal to go to outer space, woohoo! (Double) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Right now Beatrice is just being an immature, foolish 18-19-whatever-year old.
Unfortunately for her, the tabloids are documenting all of her embarrassing, silly girly exploits. But fortunately, it might mean that it helps her to wake up a bit faster than other girls of her age group, and start becoming a real woman sooner. I just want to see her realize that all this posing is terrible. I want her to realize that she needs to find her true nature and be herself. Forget all this "Brand Bea" crap; forget trying to be "the fashion designer", the Space Traveller, the Mini-Mummy, or whatever. Even in the way she dresses, it seems like she is dressing to impress people (and not impressing!):lol: rather than wearing what she truly likes. I bet the real Beatrice could be a very cool person.

i thinkk that they should both definitely do something when they are older, but while they are at school, there isnt much for them to do.
Say ing that though, i feel that beatrice should be using her gap y ear to focus on something important rather than being a celebrity because i feel that if they dont start to show responsibility (bea especialy), it will come back to haunt them because people hate the fact that their money is being spent helping someone who doenst deserve it

Oh well, you know, Beatrice is busy building up "Brand Beatrice"!!!! :lol:
She is going to be a fashion designer, and the first royal to go to outer space, woohoo! (Double) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Right now Beatrice is just being an immature, foolish 18-19-whatever-year old.
Unfortunately for her, the tabloids are documenting all of her embarrassing, silly girly exploits. But fortunately, it might mean that it helps her to wake up a bit faster than other girls of her age group, and start becoming a real woman sooner. I just want to see her realize that all this posing is terrible. I want her to realize that she needs to find her true nature and be herself. Forget all this "Brand Bea" crap; forget trying to be "the fashion designer", the Space Traveller, the Mini-Mummy, or whatever. Even in the way she dresses, it seems like she is dressing to impress people (and not impressing!):lol: rather than wearing what she truly likes. I bet the real Beatrice could be a very cool person.
The "Real Princess Beatrice" as it were seems like someone I'd want to go shopping for cute outfits then hit the clubs to knock back pints with, but that's not exactly how I envision a representative of an established and formal Royal Family. Times have changed since the future Queen to be Princess Lilibet wasn't even allowed a much coveted bicycle.

Interesting article--and not at all surprising to me in the least. Honestly, if Andrew wants to encourage such self-indulgent behavior from his children, then the public shouldn't have to foot the bill for her security. She feels she's done enough and wants only to spend time with her boyfriend--ugh. Looks like we're not going to see any of Zara's independent spirit in this one.

Princess Beatrice is 18 YEARS OLD.

She wants to spend time with her boyfriend, she wants to design clothes, she wants to go into outer space. SOUNDS LIKE AN 18 YEAR OLD TO ME??????

Whether or not she should be provided for protection and who should pay for it is another thing entirely. I have no problem with her Father/Mother footing the bill or her HM Queen Elizabeth for that matter. But let us remember something here PLEASE, there are WICKED, EVIL PEOPLE out in this world who would readily do her harm JUST BECAUSE OF HER FATHER AND GRANDMOTHER and that is NOT her fault.

But she's not a normal 18 year old is she? Thats what people seem to forget - yes it's ok for an 18 year old to spend time with her boyfriend, design clothes etc but surely any good parent would require their kids to have some direction, especially if they're Royal. On the security issue, I'm with the majority who have been saying let Andrew pay for it.

But she's not a normal 18 year old is she? Thats what people seem to forget - yes it's ok for an 18 year old to spend time with her boyfriend, design clothes etc but surely any good parent would require their kids to have some direction, especially if they're Royal. On the security issue, I'm with the majority who have been saying let Andrew pay for it.

This is where we are in total agreement. To my mind she is still a kid, she does still need alot of guidance and direction. She needs to be encouraged, to be told that YES SHE CAN and in fact DOES HAVE alot to contribute and then step by step be shown HOW to do that appropriately. That is most ASSUREDLY her parents responsibility to provide that for her.

I can see where an 18 year old would be totally overwhelmed in her situation. She is not really grown and mature yet. MUCH is expected of her and just how much help is she actually receiving to meet those expectations? Are we providing self fullfilling prophecies for her to fail already, maybe?

Look at it this way, when she looks at her parents, her Uncles and Aunt in the RF, what does she see? Maybe a group of people who have been forced to live in a fish bowl? Who have been criticized no matter what they do or do not do? Maybe she feels that no matter what she does, she LOSES? I don't know, but that seems logical to me. What does she know about her RF, maybe they are really and truly JUST HUMAN and fallible like everyone else?

From what I understand all HRH's get a Protection Officer funded by the government. This includes Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, the Duke and Duches of Kent, the Duke and Duchess of Glouchester, etc. This is provided by the Government. IMHO the expenditure of the protection is minimal compared to the embarassment and mayhem that would occur should something happen to them like a kidnapping or other atrocity. Prevention is usually a very good investment.

This is where we are in total agreement. To my mind she is still a kid, she does still need alot of guidance and direction. She needs to be encouraged, to be told that YES SHE CAN and in fact DOES HAVE alot to contribute and then step by step be shown HOW to do that appropriately. That is most ASSUREDLY her parents responsibility to provide that for her.

I can see where an 18 year old would be totally overwhelmed in her situation. She is not really grown and mature yet. MUCH is expected of her and just how much help is she actually receiving to meet those expectations? Are we providing self fullfilling prophecies for her to fail already, maybe?

Look at it this way, when she looks at her parents, her Uncles and Aunt in the RF, what does she see? Maybe a group of people who have been forced to live in a fish bowl? Who have been criticized no matter what they do or do not do? Maybe she feels that no matter what she does, she LOSES? I don't know, but that seems logical to me. What does she know about her RF, maybe they are really and truly JUST HUMAN and fallible like everyone else?

I completely agree with about, whatever she seems to do, she loses.

well said diamondBrg, it seems some have chosen to trash a 19 yrs and 17 yrs old teens for the sins of their mother and sometimes overly criticized father who by the way performed over 300 royal duties last year a lone according to public record of senior Royals, were Princess Anne was the leader on the list with her 500 royal duties.

I think similar to Charles and Camilla's past scandals which is often used by those who want to rehash history with Diana, Beatrice and Eugenie are also looked upon by some negatively before they even began their future thanks to perception of 'Air mile Andy' as some media conned him.

No royal HRH figure starts much of a patron or independent royal job before the age of 21. The girl just finished high school and is taking a gap year supported by her private funds and not on tax payers expense with the exception of her Scotland Yard protection. She might be fifth in line of secession, but that does not mean she's obliged to cultivate a career before she finishes her University.

Well, I realize where I am, I am probably going to get in trouble for saying this, but here goes anyway;

IF the British Public REALLY DON'T LIKE IT, then why don't they stop BOWING, SCRAPING, CURTESYING, GROVELING AND BEGGING FOR ATTENTION AND STATUS from the Monarchy then? The Royal Family ONLY has status BECAUSE YOU GOOD FOLKS GIVE IT TO THEM FREELY?

:lol: very true, even in my birth country Canada, supports the Monarchy. However its remain to be seen if Australia, Canada, New Zealand and others remain under Commonwealth after the Queen passes. She is the figure head most respect and hold affection for, especially in Great Britain, but her son Prince Charles has yet to command similar support from the public according to many polls.

The younger generation have a long way to go before cultivating the same busy and demanding schedule in public life.

well said diamondBrg, it seems some have chosen to trash a 19 yrs and 17 yrs old teens for the sins of their mother and sometimes overly criticized father who by the way performed over 300 royal duties last year a lone according to public record of senior Royals, were Princess Anne was the leader on the list with her 500 royal duties.

I think similar to Charles and Camilla's past scandals which is often used by those who want to rehash history with Diana, Beatrice and Eugenie are also looked upon by some negatively before they even began their future thanks to perception of 'Air mile Andy' as some media conned him.

No royal HRH figure starts much of a patron or independent royal job before the age of 21. The girl just finished high school and is taking a gap year supported by her private funds and not on tax payers expense with the exception of her Scotland Yard protection. She might be fifth in line of secession, but that does not mean she's obliged to cultivate a career before she finishes her University

I personally don't have issue with Bea "being an 18 year old"--I can in fact feel for her because of the unique position she finds herself in--but I am not impressed with her choices so far. She has pretty much decided, in her gap year which most Royals have spent doing heavy volunteerism--to not really do a whole lot of relevent things. She is 19 now, and she needs to find some direction--I think that she needs to go to university. I think it would be foolish in this day and age for a young woman to not futher her education. If she goes to university she can fly under the radar and mature--in many ways, she needs to follow her cousin's lead in this regard. All we hear from Bea is that she wants to be a fashion designer, do some work with Mummy's charities, spend time with her boyfriend, be an astronaunt, etc....--honestly, if my child, at 19, were displaying such a lack of direction I would put her in her place and help her find some direction. In fact, that should be an ongoing process from birth--and partying with mummy is not helping Bea find direction--

I'm not "impressed" by Beatrice's choices, but I'm not "unimpressed" either. Beatrice hasn't chosen a life direction yet, she's young and wants to have some fun. It's her gap year. Next year and in the years to come, I'd be more closely evaluating the choices she's making. The thing is, William and Harry did charity work during their gap years, but they partied a lot too...and still do. Their volunteering seemed more like token activity than something either of them really cared about. I am not saying they didn't do charity work of their own accord or really have their heart in it, but neither of them seem to be particularly devoted to charitable causes right now. And even so, Beatrice isn't her cousins. I'd prefer that Beatrice make her own choices and do what she cares about, rather than get involved in some charity for a while just because the public was telling her she "ought to be".

I do think Beatrice should find some sort of productive job or role in the royal family as an adult, and I don't think she should be considered "too young" indefinitely, but right now, to me, she's on the borderline. Nineteen seems a little too young to be held up to a rigid standard of good versus poor choices. Beatrice didn't choose to be in the royal family, she happens to have been born into a life of wealth and privilege and of course people want to see her make good use of these gifts, but to me there's a big difference between taking things for granted when one is young, and when one is older. You can't help letting circumstances shape you when you're young. As you get older you gain experience, you become more accountable, you yourself shape circumstances. I just don't think Beatrice is at that point yet.

These young ladies may not have chosen to be born into this family but the fact remains that they ARE a part of the RF. In which case they have an obligation to put their best face forward at all times. Being young and not knowing what they want to do is just an excuse I think. They are NOT typical commoner teens and because of that, more is expected of them. Their behavior should reflect who they are whether its old fashion thinking or not, its who they are.
It is how it is. If the RF allows that kind of behavior and attitude from young royals then that is something they have to live with. I know this is the twenty first century but if they insist on keeping their ancient royal traditions alive then they have to stick to the gameplan and not make exceptions for these young royals to be more "normal". Im not quite sure Im making sense but I hope you all understand what Im trying to say. I know they arent being groomed to become queens but they still are royal princesses who represent the RF.

Last edited:
It does not bother me at all that she is not involved in charitable work at the moment. I only wish to see her stop posing. She is trying to act like a trendsetting socialite celebrity, and it does not suit her because, well, it's not her, and (as many people already implied) her HRH status is at odds with it. I think when she starts behaving in a more natural way, we will know it, because at that time we will see a big change in her, like she will no longer be awkward, because she will then be comfortable in her own skin.

Well, if she would be able to figure that out at her age then kudos to her. My problem with her is that she is encouraged to spent her "gap" year in the same surroundings she has always inhabited. Charity work is not important for Royals because of the good they do but because it can teach them to look beyond the walls of their palaces, to realize what it means to get dirty hands and to live and feel with sufferers. I doubt Bea has had such experiences so far. Charity in form of attending glittering lunches for the sake of the poor is not what this girl should learn as "the" form of charity.

My problem with her is that she is encouraged to spent her "gap" year in the same surroundings she has always inhabited. Charity work is not important for Royals because of the good they do but because it can teach them to look beyond the walls of their palaces, to realize what it means to get dirty hands and to live and feel with sufferers. I doubt Bea has had such experiences so far. Charity in form of attending glittering lunches for the sake of the poor is not what this girl should learn as "the" form of charity.

I agree that Beatrice should broaden her perspectives but she has been doing a lot of traveling, that's one way of gaining a wider perspective on the world.

I also agree that she's been encouraged to stay in the same surroundings she's always inhabited. Or rather, I think Beatrice prefers the same settings and experiences she's grown up with and her parents (especially Sarah) don't do anything to discourage this--they try to keep her close to them. But I think those very facts support the argument that Beatrice shouldn't be judged too critically yet. What I'm trying to say is, whether you're born into a life of poverty or a life of privilege, that becomes the safe, familiar world you've grown up in. At some point in adulthood you have to attempt to break outside your familiar world, get different experiences, and make your own lifestyle choices. Then your choices become your own. It's just that Beatrice seems to still be sort of childishly close to her family, to me. She does whatever the rest of her family does. Hopefully in her gap year she is gaining some new experience of the world but until she seems more experienced and independent and actively making choices for herself, I can't really be too critical of her behaviour. Just two or three years from now she'll be older and I'll be more critical but 19 still seems kind of young to me.

Her lifestyle by the way doesn't even seem that objectionable to me. Placed alongside other young royals she certainly doesn't come off worse than them. The circles she's involved with may be questionable, but you rarely hear bad reports of Beatrice herself--ie. drunkenness, rowdiness, rudeness.

Unless someone here is part of the Royals inner circle, you have to keep in mind that 98% of the info. we receive comes through the Media and we all know how accurate the media is. Who knows if her parents indulge all her whims. Maybe they've said, "are you sure you want to go in that direction?" or "I don't think it's wise, etc." like most parents do. But most parents also would encourage their child to try something they're intersted in rather than not try it at all. Also, the "media" will take a tiny tidbit (true or not) and will run with it, embellishing it along the way. So don't believe everything you read.

She may be part of the RF, but putting her best foot forward, never forgetting the dignity of their birth, being as perfect as possible in public and never giving the press reason to make a negative comment is not possible. Some don't have it in them to do that. I think Beatrice needs a project to focus on that can make a contribution to the community and then take on a bit more as she matures.

Well, if I see a poll like the one lately from Discovery Channel where the questioned 18 to 24 year olds believe that the RF is not offering value for money, then I doubt these youngsters think of hard-working princess Anne or even her more lazily inclined brother Andrew - for them these Royal dinosaurs probably don't exist.

I believ they formed their opinion on the princes and princesses of their age and gosh, I believe, too, that these kids are not worth the title TRH eith the life they live at the moment. I'm sure that will change at least for William and Harry is doing a good job as a young officer, but still they are spending much more than their wages and other youngsters obviously feel that's not right.

While those young debutante princesses should either decide to get rid of their HRH and start living like the "ordinary" daughters of a duke or behave with the decorum fit or young princesses. There are enough Innes-Ker, FitzRoy, Montagu-Douglas-Scott or Percy-girls around and nobody bothers with them because that's the way it is with duke's daughters, but when it comes to a duke's daughter with a style of HRH the opinion is different. IMHO.
Andrew served his countryand he dose royal duties.

He served his country but so did plenty of others. They still had to do something afterwards and Andrew just doesn't pull his weight. His sister puts him to shame and there's absolutely no reason he can't perform the same amount of duties she does. He needs to instill her work ethic in his daughters but how can he when he doesn't have it himself? The Yorks are just hopeless.

Andrew served his countryand he dose royal duties.
Millions served and serve their country and they can't laze about when they come out. The work he does, is paid extra by UK taxpayers, on top of the money he receives from HM. The upkeep of his residence and offices also does not come out of his money!

Millions served and serve their country and they can't laze about when they come out. The work he does, is paid extra by UK taxpayers, on top of the money he receives from HM. The upkeep of his residence and offices also does not come out of his money!
how many royal duties dose he do a year?

I counted at the Court Circular for 2007 and he'd been out and about on more than 170 days, sometimes with several engagements in one day. The webpage lists that he had 535 engagements in 2005.

I think that one question that always arises when we discuss how much the royals actually do - is how much work is done behind the scenes as preparation, and obviously for Andrew's position as the UK's Special Representative for International Trade and Investment, I would think a lot of business meetings and planning would be involved. His webpage mentions that he did 293 engagements considering that position in 2006. And a few of the engagements for the council is not mentioned in the court circular - probably because they're business meetings/lunches.

(As an aside, I find the feedback on his role a bit interesting - it is like a book blurb by other authors designed to sell the book…)

Andrew in 2007 was actually the second busiest royal after Anne in carrying out engagements. Since 1979 a member of the public Tim O'Donovan uses the Court Circular in The Times newspaper to record how many engagements each member of the royal family carry out. This is his collation ( from his letter to The Times) for 2007

Anne 613 engagements

Andrew 556

Charles 498

QEII 440

DoE 380

Edward 362

Camilla ( reduced due to her recovery after her operation) 193

Sophie ( reduced due to her pregnancy) 147

^^ As we have seen, Camilla carries out a great many 'private' engagements, that are simply not mentioned in the circular, as do Charles and Anne. Therefore it is not a fair indication of who is the busiest royal, IMO. :flowers:

^^ As we have seen, Camilla carries out a great many 'private' engagements, that are simply not mentioned in the circular, as do Charles and Anne. Therefore it is not a fair indication of who is the busiest royal, IMO. :flowers:

All royals carry out 'private' engagements, the court circular is just one indication. Last year Andrew carried out 556 public engagements, and then he like Camilla, Anne and Charles etc can be assumed to have carried out other engagements, such as meetings etc which are private. To give him his due, he pulls his weight as far as being a member of the working royal family is concerned. The fact that he receives very little acknowledgement or press for his work doesn't mean that he does very little.

All royals carry out 'private' engagements, the court circular is just one indication. Last year Andrew carried out 556 public engagements, and then he like Camilla, Anne and Charles etc can be assumed to have carried out other engagements, such as meetings etc which are private. To give him his due, he pulls his weight as far as being a member of the working royal family is concerned. The fact that he receives very little acknowledgement or press for his work doesn't mean that he does very little.
What a great pity that he is reknowned for abusing his 'royal duties', by tying them in with the golf tournaments! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom