Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that even though Beatrice & Eugenie haven't had the training that they need to be working royals they know what is expected of them... ie: how to act in public, diplomatic answers and many more.

They have had probably way more training than we realised simply because they have grown up in public to a large extent - they have done walkabouts at Christmas so they know about the small talk thing, they have been at the big events so they know how to wave to the crowds, they have met many famous people e.g. PMs just in the normal course of growing up.

For them that is normal - for Kate it is new.

I'm not so sure her daughters won't be judged on Fergie's actions.

The article says Prince Charles finds it difficult to consider the girls as separate from the mother, and he is supposedly fond of them!

So I think that perhaps the public will have a similar problem.
I must have missed something. Which article are you referring to?

I gotta disagree here, Sarah's is too opportunistic to not have done something with that invite unless there was a deal that kept her from doing so.

She was present at the funerals of both Diana and The Queen Mother and she never spoke a word about them.

My belief is that Sarah desperately wants to be wanted by the Royal Family. The rejection has simply pushed her along to be a vast disaster.

The big problem for Beatrice and Eugenie is that they haven't had the best role models in the Duke and Duchess of York. I really wish Princess Anne would try to mentor the girls a bit. She would be a better example for the girls and could take them on public engagements without the negative impression that the press already assigns to Andrew.

I do think that once they marry, they might follow the example of the Princess Maud of Fife, who stopped using the royal title given to her by Edward VII after her marriage. George V did not approve of his father granting titles to the daughters of Princess Louise and Maud ceased to use her title in during her uncle's reign.

I would guess that as every year that goes by, Charles' opinions hold more and more weight...both with HM and also with the powers to be in BP. If Charles is determined to downsize the number of working royals then his opinions will have to be considered.

This one Prince Andrew STILL insists on helicopters and guards for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie | Mail Online

It is towards the end below the picture of the girls with Sarah and above the one of Beatrice on her graduation day from UN last month.
This above mentioned article is written by Catherine Ostler, whoever she is, but she obviously has a direct line to HM the Queen, Prince Charles, and former Palace Courtiers, whom she has quoted with gay abandon. But why is it that I don't think any of the above-mentioned would know her if they fell over her?

After all, where is her context, her actual quotes, interviews with any of them? Nowhere, that's where, and she and like minded reporters of the Daily Mail and other such publications continue to make sweeping statements allegedly from such vague references that we all, by sheer dint of repetition, start to accept them as fact. Witness the statement of kakieanne above, she obviously accepts the "facts" as previously presented. But should we?

When Beatrice graduated the BBC reported an actual quote from Buckingham Palace: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=beatrice%20graduates&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-england-london-14860925&ei=NAalTp6qHOHiiALzvuCFAQ&usg=AFQjCNELBl2BsLAUVm9h4kDlu79aQNtLpQ&sig2=KJlUfKVfM6KowcvDvAw99w

The People, The Telegraph, and indeed the Mail Online all carried the same quote and source, and it is a total variance with their latest offering. It did not seem to support that idea the Beatrice was about to be "Kicked Out of the Kingdom"!

What happened? Did HM change her mind? Did Prince Charles? Did the Courtiers, past or present? Only the Express diverged from that "party line":
Buckingham Palace has also declined to say whether the Princess, who lives rent free in a taxpayer-funded four-bedroom apartment at St James’s Palace, will ever become a full or even part-time working royal, undertaking official duties on behalf of the Queen.

Royal sources have long suggested that she does not figure in the family’s future plans for official duties amid claims that Prince Charles is keen to see a slimmed-down monarchy.
But they still went on to speculate, just as we have done, on the mortality of the senior branch of the BRF and the large hole it would leave.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8mmSqk9cq_j20Ofew&sig2=kOOhZGQ1zcDOhKbumGnfGw

So, when all is said and done, and an awful lot has been both said and done, who are we to believe? Not the tabloids . . . . . they are actually recycling stories so many times they contradict themselves, so who does that leave?

Me, I'm hanging out for a real live quote from a real live person, preferably in the general vicinity of Buckingham Palace, who will take pleasure in having his name and position attached to said quote.

Last edited:
I believe the situation would be very different if their mother was still married and a respected Royal lady. Birth and family connections are not everything if there is noone who actually introduces young ladies to suitable people. I think neither Andrew nor Sarah have the right kind of acquaintances and I don't see the girls surrounded by well-connected friends of their age who are the children of people of high social standing (unlike William, who has these friends and introduced Catherine to them).

The Royal family is very much caught up in their own projects, of course neither HM nor the Duke of Edinburgh can play an active role as grandparents in the day-to-day life of Eugenie and Beatrice. They don't fit in Andrew's field of Royal work and I don't see Anne having the time or wish to take them under her wing, when she did not do that for her own daughter. Which in my book is quite right for both Anne and Zara but still, there is no place for the York girls.

In former time the souvereign and his/her spouse had a court much in the way of a live-in company, with the Royal family surrounded by lords- and ladies-in-waiting and very often guests who stayed for longer in order to meet suitable husbands/wifes.Princesses were needed to connect to other countries through their marriages and were raised as such.

I read that princess Margaret was not happy that this kind of court life did not longer exist when her father died and Elizabeth became queen, because she had to remove from the center stage at BP as daughter of the king to living with the king's widow at the "Dower house" Clarence House. But even that life was much more "courtal" than anything that is on offer for Eugenie and Beatrice. Today their status as Royal princess does not include a real need for them because the government with the way the Civil list has been organized over the decades showed them that there is no wish to support people only because they are born Royal.

The modern concept of a Royal family includes the monarch couple, the heir-couple and the heir's heir couple once married. Apart from those people all other family members are additions - nice to see occasionally, good for charity causes but no representatives of the people.

I guess in time Beatrice and Eugenie will be provided for privately and that's that. But I don't see anyone helping them to be introduced into representative roles.
It was said in one article that when Sophie Wessex brought up the Sarah-docu soap and Eugenie's part in it at Zara's wedding, Eugenie was not happy about the topic. I can imagine that. But wouldn't Sophie Wessex be the only one to confide in with the wish for an introduction to more representation duties? Camilla obviously already took Catherine under her wing, so who's there for Eugenie or Beatrice apart from the queen's favorite daughter-in-law?

But then there's the problem with Sarah. I don't see her standing by while somebody else performs introductions and counsels when she thinks she is perfect for her daughters.

I don't know whether Ms. Ostler has good sources at the Palace, but you don't need them to understand that, at this point, the two princesses are not great assets to the Royal Family. They might be able to fill some of Zonk's referenced patronages, but until they make a commitment to conduct their personal lives in an "above reproach" fashion, I doubt that any courtiers, the PoW or even the queen would jump up and down about having them officially working in or on behalf of "The Firm." Public perception is not with them, at least at present. I feel sorry for them, because they seem to be decent girls, even if occasionally a bit silly, but they will have to be even more correct and proper in order to throw off the taint of their amazingly ridiculous and ill-behaved parents. No matter what, they'll be subject to criticism, but it will be a lot easier on them in the long run if they are not seen to be benefiting in any way from the taxpayers or to be on the royal payroll.

My belief is that Sarah desperately wants to be wanted by the Royal Family. The rejection has simply pushed her along to be a vast disaster.
I agree. Which stems out of her insecurity. (Which begs the question from Russo, at what age does one finally grow up and become secure within oneself??)

I agree. Which stems out of her insecurity. (Which begs the question from Russo, at what age does one finally grow up and become secure within oneself??)

I think for some its a flash in the dark before they hit their second childhood and senility. :D

Sarah just has a deep rooted need for people to like her.. the BRF and everyone else. Its one reason I think that she feels she needs to remain in the public eye.

Sarah just has a deep rooted need for people to like her.. the BRF and everyone else. Its one reason I think that she feels she needs to remain in the public eye.
Agreed. However Russo thinks she ought to step aside and give her girls a chance to make it on their own as well.

Kataryn said:
It was said in one article that when Sophie Wessex brought up the Sarah-docu soap and Eugenie's part in it at Zara's wedding, Eugenie was not happy about the topic. I can imagine that. But wouldn't Sophie Wessex be the only one to confide in with the wish for an introduction to more representation duties? Camilla obviously already took Catherine under her wing, so who's there for Eugenie or Beatrice apart from the queen's favorite daughter-in-law?

Technically Sophie took Catherine under her wing, or so we are lead to believe, so perhaps Camilla could have her nieces, haha. (God, imagine that.) But in all honesty, Sophie would make a good role model of the girls, but I am not sure how close the girls are to their aunt? I also laughed out loud at that remark in the Daily Mail about Sophie mentioning the documentary...I could see Sophie putting her foot in it, with good intentions no doubt, but I can see it all the same.

I do feel for Beatrice and Eugenie as they are caught in the middle, because part of them probably wants to be present at many family events as Princesses, but they also want their mum to be there too. It's a hard place to be in, no doubt. Why is Sarah so distraught at not being invited to William and Catherine's wedding when she wasn't even invited to Edward and Sophie's either. She isn't a member of the family anymore, how many ex-wives do you know are invited to family gatherings?

Part of me is glad Edward and Sophie chose to not have their children titled, as I can only imagine this same conversation in 15 years time regarding Louise and James' position within the Royal Family had they been given their titles. We never hear much of Peter and Zara, so I doubt we'll hear much of Louise and James, which is exactly what Anne and Edward want. Out of the Queen's children they are the ones who always come across as being the least interested in their Royal status. As Edward has mentioned on several occasions, he does not want to be a puppet. Although Anne is a very hard working Princess, she does not use press attention or media to promote her work. She does it so covertly, and she is greatly appreciated. Gosh, why could we not have Queen Anne instead.

Last edited:
Technically Sophie took Catherine under her wing, or so we are lead to believe, so perhaps Camilla could have her nieces, haha.

Molly2101, I had read that Camilla was advising Catherine. I hadn't seen anything about Sophie's involvement. Where did you read/hear this from? Just asking for information, not attacking you. :flowers:

I know this is off topic, but I'm not sure where to ask this question.

Molly2101, I had read that Camilla was advising Catherine. I hadn't seen anything about Sophie's involvement. Where did you read/hear this from? Just asking for information, not attacking you. :flowers:

I know this is off topic, but I'm not sure where to ask this question.

I say this because in a few articles it was mentioned that Sophie was helping Catherine out on joining the family, mentioning they have gotten quite close which is why Louise was in the wedding. It could all be rubbish though. Though Sophie was the only person who went to the gathering Catherine held at Buckingham Palace for the release of the dress, was she not?

Anywho, back on track....I am looking forward to seeing what Beatrice does now she has graduated.

Agreed. However Russo thinks she ought to step aside and give her girls a chance to make it on their own as well.

Exactly!
But Fergie keeps pushing in, emphasizing her relationship to the girls (like carrying that bag, for example).

Does she not see how damaging her clinginess is, to her daughters?

In her rush to try to get back to insider status, she is costing them any chance they have of full acceptance by both the RF and the public!
Doesn't she care?

Apparently, she does not, Mirabel! And she clearly lacks class, discretion, and wisdom, and doesn't hesitate to use those poor girls to her own ends whenever possible. From the pathetic appearance on Oprah with the girls, to carrying that ridiculous bag, she seeks to underscore her connection to the royal princesses that are her daughters, further eroding their perception by the public and, therefore, their value to the Royal Family.

It my IMHO it will unfortunately come down to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie being the ones to "politely demand" their mother keep her distance from them if they perform royal duties yet encouraging her that in private they'll continue to spend quality time with each other.

This was to be expected, I doubt that the Queen, Charles and their cohorts would want reality show celebs representing the royal family.

Apparently, she does not, Mirabel! And she clearly lacks class, discretion, and wisdom, and doesn't hesitate to use those poor girls to her own ends whenever possible. From the pathetic appearance on Oprah with the girls, to carrying that ridiculous bag, she seeks to underscore her connection to the royal princesses that are her daughters, further eroding their perception by the public and, therefore, their value to the Royal Family.

That "ridiculous bag", as someone pointed out on another thread, was a PRESENT from Beatrice and Eugenie to their mother!
I can understand that people would criticise Sarah for certain mistakes she has made with money or with "scandals" that put her in a bad light in the press. But I honestly can't understand how she can be criticised as a mother! She adores the Princesses, and they love and respect her in return. She doesn't "underscore her connection" to them - she is their MOTHER and rightly takes great pride in being the mother of two beautiful, intelligent, compassionate young ladies.

Consider this: the Princesses over many years knew their Mum as "the legend" for her charity work and all that she did to help others. In an 18th birthday interview with the BBC, Beatrice talked of how she wanted to be a "Mini-Mummy" and carry on her mother's work. In the 2007 documentary "Duchess in Hull", Eugenie talked of how proud she was of her mum, and how "everything, all my values" came from her. In emails reprinted in the "Finding Sarah" book, the Princesses are so supportive of Sarah's project of self-discovery and clearly have great pride in her and enormous love for her.

OK, rant over - but I do honestly believe that whatever criticisms one can make of Sarah, she is an exceptional mother, and there is nothing fake or exploitative in their relationship - it is one of LOVE!

This was to be expected, I doubt that the Queen, Charles and their cohorts would want reality show celebs representing the royal family.

Which is odd considering The Royal Family pioneered reality television with that 1960s documentary about them which The Queen sealed from public access after its release on the BBC.

Which is odd considering The Royal Family pioneered reality television with that 1960s documentary about them which The Queen sealed from public access after its release on the BBC.

Well, Lord Royal, it is probably a matter of live and learn. They made the show, realized it was a horrible idea, then pulled it from view.

Sometimes you have to actually make a mistake to learn. IMHO:flowers:

They haven't made that mistake again, have they? (Not being snotty, I really don't know the answer!)

Let's stay on topic....the duties and roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.

I do honestly believe that whatever criticisms one can make of Sarah, she is an exceptional mother, and there is nothing fake or exploitative in their relationship - it is one of LOVE!

I believe you do see it that way, FergieFan.
But many people take a different view.

The reasoning is this: the BRF wants nothing to do with Fergie (at this point, this seems very obvious). Yet most members of the family seem fond of her daughters and would like to include them in family events.

Yet they hesitate, because Fergie keeps involving them in things the RF doesn't approve of.
I can't help feeling that if she didn't persistently do this in full public view, the girls would have a much easier time of it.

This may seem like devotion to you, but to me it is definitely exploitative. (Nor have I ever forgiven Fergie for allowing her daughters to subsidize her from their trust funds! I just don't believe an exceptional mother would do this).

Just to answer your question RoyalNewbie, and not to go off-topic: Some think that the two documentaries and picture books done by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1985 and 1986 were horrible mistakes. They were charming at the time, but both Charles and Diana answered a number of rumours about themselves in the first one (should the rumours have even been dignified by being discussed in an interview?), and the second one followed them around for a full year, on tour and at home. The documentaries and picture books served as great PR at the time; but when the Wales marriage fell apart, they were seen to have been misleading about what the Wales family life was really like.

They haven't made that mistake again, have they? (Not being snotty, I really don't know the answer!)

IMHO Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will have to "put a foot down" with their mother in regards to royal duties. Yes they are her children, but they are no longer children. They have to accept that although their mother is still part of the York family, in a fashion, she is no longer a member of the royal family, whom they will represent when performing royal duties and that "organization" wants no public affiliation with their mother. If Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie request their mother to back off it is my opinion that Sarah will take her daughters' request to heart especially if they explain how important it is for them to perform royal duties for their grandmother. I believe that were this to occur it would gain both Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie a lot of confidence in their maturity, thus their abilities to perform royal duties. Once again encourage their mother that in private they'll continue to spend quality time with each other, but politely demand for her to try to not interfere with them performing royal duties. Just a thought...(well quite a few, actually:ermm:)

Yes, that would be the easiest way but, from what we've seen, it's highly unlikely.

Last edited:
I think the girls will work full time as royals. I think the monarchy will need them once Charles becomes King and even more so when William is King. But I do believe that they should just start with it. Maybe start as Catherine is starting. Take some time to analize what kind of charities you want to support and in the meantime make a few appearances here and there. I think Beatrice is ready for that. Eugenie should wait until she finishes college. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a fan of the girls - well, the family, really - but I do believe that Beatrice can save the family - image wise. She seems balanced. She improved her image all by herself, by acting more responsable and plus she looks better than she ever had. If she steps up she could turn the public opinion about them.

... I do believe that Beatrice can save the family - image wise. She seems balanced. She improved her image all by herself, by acting more responsable and plus she looks better than she ever had. If she steps up she could turn the public opinion about them.

I honestly believe the RF is wavering about this.
On one hand, they really could use someone to step in when the older royals reduce their workload.
But I suspect they don't trust Fergie to keep her distance (and they'd probably be glad if she removed to another country).

If Beatrice stops making public appearances with her mother, then perhaps Charles will have a change of heart (I do think he's behind the plan to have the girls take jobs in the private sector).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom