Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie 1: Discussion Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference being that, sexist as it may be, they are girls. Bad enough to see William and Harry staggering out of nightclubs but with girls it is so much worse.

The feminist in me wants to argue with you, but these girls are girly girls, not independent young women who are asserting their right to equality in all respects (including those respects with which anyone with an ounce of common sense would not want to be associated in their worst nightmares). You can't have it all ways, even if you are the Queen's grand-daughter..............especially if you are the Queen's grand-daughter.

"Noblesse oblige", and the greater the noblesse, the greater the oblige.

Last edited:
I think it is interesting that it seems (to my American eyes!) that it was ANDREW who insisted that his daughters retain royal titles and also keep round the clock police protection. However, it appears that he takes little interest in actually instructing his daughters how to be representatives of the Royal Family. (Obviously I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but that is my impression.) Their mother, who clearly loves the limelight, B minus minus celebrities, and referring to her daughters as "the princesses" appears to have taken on the role as their royal "mentor." Clearly a mistake, imho. There certainly are examples of royal princesses who stay relatively grounded and yet do a lot of charity work (Princess Anne, Princess Alexandra of Kent, etc.) I think that it is hard to have it both ways, but obviously these two girls could do better than they are now. Of course, they are very young, and we should give them the benefit of the doubt that as they mature they will realize that being royal isn't about "having fun." Remember that saying: "To whom much is given, much is expected." We'll just have to see.

Of course it is but then these young ladies do have the example of their older HRH cousins, William and Harry before them as well. They also seem to think that they only way to have a good time is to get drunk at very public places and make spectacles of themselves.

The girls need to be told a few things but

a) will they listen,
b) who will tell them
c) and what does someone say to them when they reply 'William and Harry' did this as well so when they stop we will.

a) If it's put to them that they have the alternative of shaping up and becoming full contributing members of the family (which means not constantly behaving like celebrities) or dropping their HRH's, maybe they'll listen.
b) The Queen, if nobody else will. But she seems to have a track record of non-intervention with her family, so maybe she won't.
c) I suppose someone can say, "William and Harry are indispensable to the monarchy. While they're still alive, the monarchy can get along just fine without you two."

Well said Elspeth. Shape up or get out... of the royal limelight that is.

Let's face it - B is immature and holds a false sense of identity as being different and special. With lavish personal security, she is set apart from her peers - no waiting in lines and no refusal of a table at nightclubs --- park illegally to run into a boutique? No problem (unless your car is stolen) the Palace will handle the police ticket - Life is a blast!
I can't believe that her college (?) doesn't insist that students go out and do community service as the colleges and universities do here in the USA.
Woe to the American high school senior who sends out college applications without community service highlighted in their resume. This is drummed into students at a young age.
B compared to most 20 year olds is silly and acts young for her age - Mummy is silly and TRIES to act young for her age. Like mother, like daughter - add Andrew into the mix and it is a mess.

One of the best comments yet, pamk! You told it like it is, imo. Do you think that Any of them will grow up (or wake up) to the facts??

But it is possible in London to live a quiet and dignified Royal life without sitting at home all the time. The other Windsors have managed well and the other Royals who live in London like the Greek and Dutch Royals would be equally interesting for the papers but manage to avoid them. Even in London IMHO it's possible to find entertainment without appearing in the Mail.
I totally agree w this.

Excellent post, Menarue. Well said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's face it - B is immature and holds a false sense of identity as being different and special. With lavish personal security, she is set apart from her peers - no waiting in lines and no refusal of a table at nightclubs --- park illegally to run into a boutique? No problem (unless your car is stolen) the Palace will handle the police ticket - Life is a blast!
I can't believe that her college (?) doesn't insist that students go out and do community service as the colleges and universities do here in the USA.
Woe to the American high school senior who sends out college applications without community service highlighted in their resume. This is drummed into students at a young age.
B compared to most 20 year olds is silly and acts young for her age - Mummy is silly and TRIES to act young for her age. Like mother, like daughter - add Andrew into the mix and it is a mess.

FANTASTIC on all counts. Truly! :clap::clap: I agree completely, PamK.

I can certainly believe it, if UK universities are anything like ours. Here acceptance is based on objective criteria only. The terminology and method of calculating the mark has changed since I did it, but essentially if your Higher School Certificate marks are high enough to satisfy the course's minimum entry requirement, you get in. Once you're there, the only thing the university is interested in is whether or not you pass your exams; it doesn't try to make you into a "good" person. That's my experience anyway.

This Canadian doesn't.;)

Are you kidding? Not this American.

:lol: I am glad to see both of you share my opinions.

But, you have to admit that the Kennedys are seen (by some) as the American version of royalty, and the Trudeaus (albeit in a much lesser sense than the Queen or even the Kennedys) as Canada's elite family.

Of course it is but then these young ladies do have the example of their older HRH cousins, William and Harry before them as well. They also seem to think that they only way to have a good time is to get drunk at very public places and make spectacles of themselves.

Okay, whoa, I think we should be careful here. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but have we ever had any proof that Beatrice and Eugenie were actually "drunk" at a public place? I can see that someone might think Eugenie made a spectacle of herself with the pole dance request and the "nude frolicking"--but the latter wasn't in a very public place. And I don't think one can argue that drunken public behaviour is the only way the two of them know how to have a good time.

pamk also wrote that "Beatrice is immature and holds a false sense of identity as being different and special." I don't know if Beatrice is immature, but quite possibly she is; she does seem to do things that are naive. As for "a false sense of identity as being different and special", though, this is exactly the problem: if it's a false sense of identity and her royal status really does not make her different or special, then why is she always asked to maintain a certain standard of behaviour, be photographed performing acts of charity, etc?

I agree to some extent that the royal family can bring needed publicity to charitable causes, but in the case of Beatrice and Eugenie, the main rationale behind the call for more charitable endeavours by the two of them seems to be the protection of their reputations: ie. if the girls are photographed at nightclubs less often and at charities more, they will be be setting a better example as royals.

Well said, Muriel. Also the Wales boys did engage themselves in some sort of social work abroad during their gap year. William in South America, if I remember correctly, and Harry in South Africa. Whereas the York girls seem to be travelling, partying ... etc. The personal shopper experience of Beatrice is ridiculous compared to a work camp where the hands really do get dirty. :flowers:

I think the two of them have both expressed interest in charitable causes, and by the way, there was a certain trip to Turkey and Romania recently which went beyond a "personal shopper" experience, but this seemed to stir up criticism rather than praise for the girls. Right now I'm not really going to pass judgment on whether that trip was a good idea in light of the girls' role as members of the royal family, but it does illustrate that it's awfully hard for Beatrice and Eugenie to win. When they do something other than partying, it's seen as too publicity-hungry, too far away when there are charities closer home, too political, too-just-not-the-way-it's-done. Apparently Beatrice and Eugenie ought to get their hands dirty--just not dirty in a political situation or anything truly controversial.

One of the best comments yet, pamk! You told it like it is, imo. Do you think that Any of them will grow up (or wake up) to the facts??
Well one would hope that they would. Royalty is Royalty and rubbing elbows with those who can open a check book and help your charity out is a very good thing.
But! You never know.

You are Absolutely correct, Russo! One never knows... (Thank goodness you're back!) :)

I think the two of them have both expressed interest in charitable causes, and by the way, there was a certain trip to Turkey and Romania recently which went beyond a "personal shopper" experience, but this seemed to stir up criticism rather than praise for the girls. Right now I'm not really going to pass judgment on whether that trip was a good idea in light of the girls' role as members of the royal family, but it does illustrate that it's awfully hard for Beatrice and Eugenie to win. When they do something other than partying, it's seen as too publicity-hungry, too far away when there are charities closer home, too political, too-just-not-the-way-it's-done. Apparently Beatrice and Eugenie ought to get their hands dirty--just not dirty in a political situation or anything truly controversial.

Rmay, those trips with their mother to uncover the true circumstances in these places were IMHO media events. Going there, being concerned, returning. Both Wales boys spent quite some time during their gap year on projects which also reflected their interests. E.g. Harry, he is still involved in this Lesotho project. Making a difference.

"Getting their hands dirty" is meant in a figurative way, getting in touch with real people (not those who can afford a personal shopper). People like you and me. Doing something which really changes circumstances in the lives of those involved, not for a moment, but sustainable. It could be working as an assistant teacher or care personnal in an orphanage (if this is what the girls interests). But not only for a day or two, I'd recommend a more substantial period. In fact I believe it would be a great opportunity to go abroad for this experience in order to learn about another culture or learn another language. Mere travelling won't give you this experience.:flowers:

Much as I agree with the other post I can´t see why the girls have to go and do charity in another country, what about Britain to whom they owe their status and lives, there are lots of poor people here and the people they helped would know who they were, they are British Royal Princesses after all.
I have always believed that charity begins at home. I remember in Pearl Buck´s biography of her father "The Fighting Angel" which won her the Nobel Prize for Literature, how she described that her missionary father never gave her or her siblings any religious instruction, in fact he didn´t seem to bother much with them at all. She said he was like the housewife shopping who preferred brown eggs to white, her missionary father much preferred brown souls to white, her words not mine and figuratively meant as they were in China, but I can understand what she meant.
It wouldn´t be nearly as exciting for the Princesses to go about charity work in the slums and degraded parts of their own country as travelling about in, to them, foreign lands. If they want to know about other cultures go somewhere other than the nightclubs they frequent as I am sure they can learn a lot without even leaving London.

publicity-hungry, too far away when there are charities closer home, too political, too-just-not-the-way-it's-done. Apparently Beatrice and Eugenie ought to get their hands dirty--just not dirty in a political situation or anything truly controversial.
Could that be because it is publicity hungry and too political. They could both have raised money for the orphanages but chose to travel with their mother and their tax funded protection unit. They were there but apart from telling us how perfect mummy is, they seemed to be along for the ride! Did they do anything other than tag along, not from what was shown.:nonono::nonono: They went along as one of Sarah's accessorised bags.

Maybe the Queen and the Duke of York (and possibly the PoW) should find them something interesting, fun and helpful to do.

I disagree that they will never work - they will either follow a career of some sort or more probably work for charity and do the royal round (unless you are one of these people who claim that the royals don't actually work when they make formal appearances and work for their charities).

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree that they will never work - they will either follow a career of some sort or more probably work for charity and do the royal round (unless you are one of these people who claim that the royals don't actually work when they make formal appearances and work for their charities).

Actually I do think that making formal appearances and turning up for their charity annual meetings is more of a bore than actual work.

I exclude the Queen, Princess Anne and the Duke of E, they are very conscientious. The Queen has always put duty first and it is wonderful how much she does.

My own view is that I hope the York girls build up independent careers for themselves, and do not plan to spend their time on the charity circuit. IMO, as time goes by, they will continue to become less and less relevant to the monarchy, as the focus shifts to the wives of William and Harry. As "supporting" royal work can be carried out by the Andrew, Edward & Sophie and Anne.

My own view is that I hope the York girls build up independent careers for themselves, and do not plan to spend their time on the charity circuit. IMO, as time goes by, they will continue to become less and less relevant to the monarchy, as the focus shifts to the wives of William and Harry.
I don't know about being on "the Charity circuit". You know, you can do a lot of good and focus a lot of time and energy if you have 1 or 2 charities that you support.
Unless they do something spectacular or very grand, yes, they will be less and less relevant, IMO.

My own view is that I hope the York girls build up independent careers for themselves, and do not plan to spend their time on the charity circuit. IMO, as time goes by, they will continue to become less and less relevant to the monarchy, as the focus shifts to the wives of William and Harry. As "supporting" royal work can be carried out by the Andrew, Edward & Sophie and Anne.

So when William becomes king the only available royals will be his aunts and uncles who will be in their 70s or 80s (assuming that William doesn't become king for another 20 years) his own wife and his brother and his wife.

Remember that Anne will be 60 and Andrew 50 next year and Edward and Sophie aren't that far behind them.

So in 20 years time there will really only be 4 full time royals - William plus consort, Harry plus wife (compared to 8 now) and maybe 4 aged part timers in their 70s and 80s.

This is why I think that Beatrice and Eugenie will take up full time royal duties, although their husbands probably will only be there at the major events.

:previous: I agree. There aren't that many younger royals. The Queen has four children--Charles only has two.

So when William becomes king the only available royals will be his aunts and uncles who will be in their 70s or 80s (assuming that William doesn't become king for another 20 years) his own wife and his brother and his wife.

Remember that Anne will be 60 and Andrew 50 next year and Edward and Sophie aren't that far behind them.

So in 20 years time there will really only be 4 full time royals - William plus consort, Harry plus wife (compared to 8 now) and maybe 4 aged part timers in their 70s and 80s.

This is why I think that Beatrice and Eugenie will take up full time royal duties, although their husbands probably will only be there at the major events.

The plan to slim down the royal family would also suggest that, in time, the activities of the royal family would also be a lot more focussed. Extending your suggested example that William becomes King in about 20 years from now, there may be a relatively short period of time when they are a bit short of hands, before William & Harry's children start to step up to royal duties. That said, if the royal household think they need a few extra pairs of hands, the York girls can be summoned. IMO, it does not bear thinking that the York girls will be in the public spot light for the next 20 odd years, with relatively minor royal roles, and potentially, qute a lot of negative publicity they would otherwise escape if they led non-royal lives.

:previous: I don't think we are looking at a King William for at least 40 years, possibly longer, which gives William and Harry plenty of time to marry and have 2-4 children each to take over.

:previous: I don't think we are looking at a King William for at least 40 years, possibly longer, which gives William and Harry plenty of time to marry and have 2-4 children each to take over.

You see Charles making over 100 (he is now 60).

I hope you are right - I wouldn't mind if he made it to 110 but....

I'm going to go somewhere in between and say that William will become King probably in about 30 years....although the Queen Mother would have been 102 the year that she died, but even men with longevity in their genes don't (generally, for some unknown reason) live as long as the long-lived women in their family. But really, supposing William has children at about 35, and he becomes king at around 60, his children would be 25 and younger when he ascended the throne. Would they be performing full-time royal duties at that age? I wonder, given the fact that Harry is turning 25 and isn't doing so. What if William's sons wanted to do military training first, like William and Harry, before stepping on to the royal stage?

People are living longer nowadays, but they're also waiting much longer to start families. The Queen had two small children already when she was William and Harry's age, which is part of the reason Charles has waited as long as he has to become king.

All this gives new meaning to "Long Live the King/Queen".
If these two Princesses are going to represent the BRF in the future I hope that they will start cleaning up their act very soon as they are already old enough to have more sense when in public especially if they bother to read the British newspapers.

They should become involved With Girl Guides made CinCs of an Army Regiment or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom