The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2020, 01:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think they're moving to background royals. They weren't ever popular, because Andrew and Sarah have been disliked for many years.. and the daughters iddn't seem to have cut the apron strings with their mother, so they shared thtat unpopularity. Niether of them seems to have done anything very noteworthy, Beatrice always changing jobs. Eugenie seemed a bit more settled but not that interesting. Now, I think with them getting married, the public and press are neutral on them.. they are not important.. they will appear in the papers now and again and will probably have babies in a year or 2.. they are just accepted as background royals and not really crtiicised any more but not greatly liked either.
Beyond any further people of note...just the Cambridges. They well, especially if they have children, be in the media. Whether they do any more public work is for the family. But even the Phillips grandchildren are very exposed and in the media a lot especially at events. Savannah's a practical star.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:02 PM
Courtier

I wonder if people don't take them seriously because of their...........quirky fashion sense and ridiculous hats? It would be unfair, but not surprising.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I wonder if people don't take them seriously because of their...........quirky fashion sense and ridiculous hats? It would be unfair, but not surprising.

Everyone’s dressed to some element of “quirky” in their lives, Beatrice turned her hat debacle into a PR win when she auctioned it for charity.

Beatrice and Eugenie are unfortunately indelibly tied to their parents legacy, which is not going anyway anytime soon. Instead of being able to carve a life for themselves within The Firm, they choice to take the quieter route and form well established careers for themselves which seems to work well for them. We must not forget that regardless of what’s been done by their parents, they are still the girl mother and father and you could never ask them to disown or distance themselves from their own parents.

In regards to the press however the girls, more now Beatrice on her own, as the media around Eugenie has significantly quietened down since she got married. In fact prior to Beatrice being spotted in the Alps for her friends wedding, where thankfully the title had nothing to do with the amount of holidays she may take for the first time in ages, she hasn’t been in the papers an awful lot and certainly not higher up in the news stories if she has been featured at all.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I think that when I hear them talk about Meghan's poor treatment. They actually threw bread rolls at Camilla when she went shopping. ......
That was a false story put out by the tabloids etc. According to the biographies I've read it never happened.

LaRae
Old 01-28-2020, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think Bea and Eugenie would be crazy to become working Royals for the family. Nothing like making yourself a big target...not to mention the issues from the inside.

LaRae
Old 01-28-2020, 03:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
That was a false story put out by the tabloids etc. According to the biographies I've read it never happened.

LaRae
It may very well be a false story, I really have no idea and don't actually remember reading it at the time. However, what makes the biographies any more of a credible source? Just because they're bound books instead of tabloid magazines? There's an awful lot of false information to be found in bound books. Unless the book is an autobiography or an authorized biography that I'm unaware of (which is entirely possible) I don't know why they would automatically be assumed to be a more credible source.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
It may very well be a false story, I really have no idea and don't actually remember reading it at the time. However, what makes the biographies any more of a credible source? Just because they're bound books instead of tabloid magazines? There's an awful lot of false information to be found in bound books. Unless the book is an autobiography or an authorized biography that I'm unaware of (which is entirely possible) I don't know why they would automatically be assumed to be a more credible source.

I forget which one, I've read a couple of them about her at least...but I do try to avoid the sensationalized ones. They gave detail in the book about it being false etc I just don't remember which book it was! I know the author was very pro-Camilla however.

LaRae
Old 01-28-2020, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Everyone’s dressed to some element of “quirky” in their lives, Beatrice turned her hat debacle into a PR win when she auctioned it for charity.

Beatrice and Eugenie are unfortunately indelibly tied to their parents legacy, which is not going anyway anytime soon. Instead of being able to carve a life for themselves within The Firm, they choice to take the quieter route and form well established careers for themselves which seems to work well for them. We must not forget that regardless of what’s been done by their parents, they are still the girl mother and father and you could never ask them to disown or distance themselves from their own parents.

In regards to the press however the girls, more now Beatrice on her own, as the media around Eugenie has significantly quietened down since she got married. In fact prior to Beatrice being spotted in the Alps for her friends wedding, where thankfully the title had nothing to do with the amount of holidays she may take for the first time in ages, she hasn’t been in the papers an awful lot and certainly not higher up in the news stories if she has been featured at all.
Auctioning the hat off speaks a lot to Beatrice’s character - and in fact both she and her sister seem like fine young women. The same way the Queen could never abandon her son even though many seemed to want her to, of course Beatrice and Eugenie could never abandon their father. I think you’re right about them being attached to their parents’ legacy, and now that I think about it, having them be working Royals would be a distraction. Wherever they’d go, it would be all about their father.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think they're moving to background royals. They weren't ever popular, because Andrew and Sarah have been disliked for many years.. and the daughters iddn't seem to have cut the apron strings with their mother, so they shared thtat unpopularity. Niether of them seems to have done anything very noteworthy, Beatrice always changing jobs. Eugenie seemed a bit more settled but not that interesting. Now, I think with them getting married, the public and press are neutral on them.. they are not important.. they will appear in the papers now and again and will probably have babies in a year or 2.. they are just accepted as background royals and not really crtiicised any more but not greatly liked either.
In my opinion Eugenie's 'The Anti-Slavery Collective' is rather noteworthy. Unfortunately, it hasn't received that much of attention. Had more prominent royals done the same work, they would have been widely lauded for this initiative.

And her statement at her wedding about not being afraid to show your scars (in her case: from a scoliosis operation) most likely meant a lot for others who have visible scars either from scoliosis operations or resulting from other illnesses.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
In my opinion Eugenie's 'The Anti-Slavery Collective' is rather noteworthy. Unfortunately, it hasn't received that much of attention. Had more prominent royals done the same work, they would have been widely lauded for this initiative.

And her statement at her wedding about not being afraid to show your scars (in her case: from a scoliosis operation) most likely meant a lot for others who have visible scars either from scoliosis operations or resulting from other illnesses.
I agree. These are incredibly noteworthy and laudable initiatives on Eugenie's part. And while I will say that I don't believe Beatrice has, on her own, taken on anything quite like the anti-slavery collective, I do believe that she's done some wonderful work on behalf of dyslexic children and others and should be commended for it. I suspect that if they had larger platforms with more media visibility their personal interests and initiatives could really take off and be something spectacular. I admit to having a bit of a soft spot for them, Eugenie in particular, but I'd really like to see them given the opportunity to step into the forefront if they wish.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Would Zara Tindall be successful in helping with royal duties? Suppose she accompanied her mother at some of Princess Anne's royal functions and learned directly from her.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Would Zara Tindall be successful in helping with royal duties? Suppose she accompanied her mother at some of Princess Anne's royal functions and learned directly from her.

Well they've had some controversies - most recently Peter with the milk ad. But Ann is popular and I think that maybe Zara and Peter wouldn't be bad choices to step up to royal roles. Don't know if it's possible seeing as they don't have titles.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I thought she had been about to do a big highlight on sex trafficking & had to bail out because of you know what. The last thing she (or the BRF) needs is media attention on her talking about sex-slaves etc
Old 01-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Zara is not a royal worker. She has her own business interests and is occupied with them.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I thought she had been about to do a big highlight on sex trafficking & had to bail out because of you know what. The last thing she (or the BRF) needs is media attention on her talking about sex-slaves etc
Yes I think that this is a case where Andrew's awful behaviour has ruined something good that his daughter is doing...
Old 01-28-2020, 05:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I didn't even know until recently that she had scoliosis..my sister had a bad form and had to have surgery to have a rod implanted in her back; I remember her in the hospital and then later recuperating. That statement is affirming for anyone who has had to deal with scars, physical or otherwise.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Once the British royal family was essentially The Queen, The Duke, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Alexandra. With in the periphery support from the Gloucesters and Princess Marina. It worked terrific. And that in a time when royals must be SEEN.

Now they are visible for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all possible media. One can really argue if a royal family of 10+ or even 10+ persons with hundreds of patronages (from the Galloway Cattle to the Millinery Guild) have any meaning anno 2020.

OK.

For instance, There seems to be little public interest in The Princess Royal's engagements and appointment schedule. Same for the Wessexes, The Duke of Kent, and Richard and Birgitte Gloucester.

It's not their faults of course. The now more senior descendants of King George V stepped up to help HM decades ago, when the young Queen was having children and did need help representing the Crown in the UK and abroad. Very limited media options then. And, these senior descendants have been superb in their work for the Crown.

So now, possibly due to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh's competitive nature and enduring influence, we have HM's ageing offspring competing in the numbers of their official engagements. Still competing.( It seems William and Catherine are approaching the patron role in a different manner.)

And, why does someone like Princess Anne need to travel to engagements with a team of policemen on motorcycles heralding her arrival when her visits are only reported in The Court Circular after the fact? If she insists on wearing 35 year old skirt suits to display her wonderful frugalness, she should walk the walk and take the train.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just because events aren't reported in the national media in advance doesn't mean that the local media and other means are letting people know in advance, which is why someone like Princess Anne needs security. She also does so many engagements she needs transport to get her from one event to another on time.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:09 AM
Gentry

I, for one, see the Princess Royal's engagements in the media, so they don't go unnoticed being mentioned only in the Court Circular. Maybe they aren't splashed on front pages, but they ARE reported on. Same for the others outside of the Wales branch.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Just because events aren't reported in the national media in advance doesn't mean that the local media and other means are letting people know in advance, which is why someone like Princess Anne needs security. She also does so many engagements she needs transport to get her from one event to another on time.
If these events are so pressing and important, it is unusual that there is no regular national press interest. She has hundreds of engagements every year. Hardly any of them is commented on. They are not important for the regular taxpayer. A regular taxpayer likes to see Prince William and his wife, not get scowled at by Anne or bit by her dog.

Tags
career, education, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, royal duties, social life, styles and titles