Career Options for Princess Beatrice

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mermaid1962

Majesty
City
NearTheCoast
Country
Canada
Now that she has graduated from university, what do you think would be a suitable career for her?

I think she's going to have a rough time if it's true she won't be doing royal duties. Her title means she'll always have one foot in one world and one foot in another- anything she accomplishes in her career will be written off in the press as being because of her connections but if she doesn't do something brilliantly successful, she'll be accused of being lazy or a freeloader.

It was smart for the Wessex family to choose not to style the children as prince/princess. It gives them more of a shot at normalcy.

But Beatrice and Eugenie- they're royal princesses and always will be. Quite the dilemma as far as their futures go.

Where does a princess fit in the modern world where, let's face it, the idea of a princess is pretty ridiculous to most people. I agree that no matter what she does, or doesn't do, she will be slammed by someone. Not an enviable position to be in. I hope she ends up doing something she enjoys and that she finds meaningful. And I hope she's not detracted by those who will criticize her.

There was talk of her one time as going into the fashion world; I hope not, because that life is notoriously catty. I'd prefer to see Beatrice doing something low-key and substantial--something that doesn't require her being in public to work. In that way, I think that she will eventually seen for her own merit and not only as a famous daughter of an infamous mother.

I'd prefer to see Beatrice doing something low-key and substantial--something that doesn't require her being in public to work. In that way, I think that she will eventually seen for her own merit and not only as a famous daughter of an infamous mother.

I agree, and it is possible! Consider Lady Sarah Chatto- her life is low-key, a far cry from the notoriety that surrounded both of her parents.

Mirabel said:
I agree, and it is possible! Consider Lady Sarah Chatto- her life is low-key, a far cry from the notoriety that surrounded both of her parents.

Agreed, but Lady Sarah isn't an HRH so she's a little more low key just because of that. Beatrice and Eugenie really are in an unfortunate position and I don't envy them that.

I actually feel for both Beatrice and Eugenie. They were born into their positions in life and economic circumstances -- and the reality of a 21st century monarchy -- are requiring them to have jobs "like regular people". But, guess what? They're not regular people --- their HRHs ... it's double-edged sword. What do people expect them to do, wait in line for the Tube? It's never going to happen. Sadly, they are in a no-win situation. There are very few career options open to them that won't raise additional questions -- they need do no more than ask their Uncle Edward and Aunt Sophie. :(

Her degree, which will be awarded later this week I believe, is in History and History of Ideas. This could point her to a number of career opportunities but of course, she will be taking a job from someone 'better qualified' and/or 'more deserving'.

I do hope though that both girls were told BEFORE starting their degrees that they wouldn't be doing royal duties and so chose degrees that could lead somewhere that will interest them for a lifetime rather than just an interest now. It would have been totally unfair to allow Beatrice to actually complete her degree expecting to do royal duties and then to be told just before she graduates - 'ah no change of plans - you are to get a job and do real work for a living'.

IMO the problem with Edward and Sophie's businesses was that they dealt with the media by the very nature of their businesses. I can't see a problem with a princess working in a regular workplace as long as she doesn't demand being treated "like a princess", and I don't think that Beatrice would. She could certainly drive her car to work like other people do.

Sadly, they are in a no-win situation. There are very few career options open to them that won't raise additional questions -- they need do no more than ask their Uncle Edward and Aunt Sophie. :(

I think a lot will depend on the job Bea get's. If it is an entry level position and she works hard then people will respect that. If she goes in acting like a Princess expecting things like time off that others don't get then we will see stories from people who have sour grapes. I do think she needs to be seen doing something other then holidaying and partying. It's been over 3 months since she left Uni she should by now have something lined up. Yes she has some hurdles but she has a heck of a lot more doors open for her then the average person too. If she works hard and starts of at the right level she should be fine. But if she starts of in a position higher paid then she should then that will get out and she will get in trouble. Bea would be aware of all this and hopefully will make the right decision so far besides saying she wanted to be like her mother and that she wanted to do something with fashion she really hasn't said what she wants to do. I would have thought if she was serious about fashion she would have done something to help her with that for a career. And as for wanting to be like mummy, ummm no don't think that is a great idea. We should know something soon if she continues to be pictured holidaying and going to events I can see some much more negative press for her, which wouldn't be good at all.

Well a lot of upper class English girls, with and without degrees, seem to get jobs at art galleries, fashion magazines and publishing houses.

Yes she has some hurdles but she has a heck of a lot more doors open for her then the average person too.

But that's a problem for her (as far as the press goes, that is; not as far as getting a job goes). Beatrice needs to avoid being seen as getting a job because of her HRH or her royal connections.

She really is in a no-win situation.

I agree with what everyone is saying regarding the Princesses being in a difficult position. They didn't ASK to be given royal titles, however they are HRH, which leaves them in a funny position. They could go out, get a regular job and live some semblance of a normal life, but that will likely never happen. No matter what job they assume, which I can't imagine will be something "normal", will always be filled with fascination from the public.

It is a bit disappointing for the Royal family, especially the younger generation now, as they can't ever really pursue the careers they would probably love to do. For example, Beatrice or Eugenie perhaps would love a career in the health industry, being a Doctor or nurses etc. but realistically they could never pursue that. It must be so difficult to deal with that. I think Edward and Sophie were right in choosing not to give their children Royal titles. At least that way they can lead normal lives, even though they will always be grandchild of the Monarch, nieces and nephews of the Monarch and eventually cousins of the Monarch. I don't think, however, had they been given Royal titles they would be quite as famous as their older cousins, mainly due to the age difference between the Wessex children and the others. They wont exactly be out partying with their big cousins William and Harry at any point, attracting more attention than normal.

I do hope Beatrice and Eugenie do take up careers, however I also hope they carry out some Royal duties. They have the title, they should make the most of it and help charities and other things they like. Utilise their unique position.

I do hope Beatrice and Eugenie do take up careers, however I also hope they carry out some Royal duties. They have the title, they should make the most of it and help charities and other things they like. Utilise their unique position.

If the family don't want them to do royal work then they can't use their position.

It seems that Beatrice wanted to work with charities but has been told by the royal family's courtiers - 'thanks but no thanks'.

This is the cutting down of the royal family that has been talked about for years - and Beatrice is the first of the new younger royals - title but expected to take on normal careers/jobs but not royal duties in the future. With or without the HRH title (and that style was automatice, just as it was automatic that Anne's children didn't get it - being the children of a girl). Edward has simply realised the way things were going and said - 'no thanks' for his kids.

I do think that it is unreasonable to expect the girls to do a full time job and royal duties as well - they need some down time - and that should be for family not to be on show.

She must work in hat shop or make hat place for her hats :ROFLMAO: :lol:

They are definitely in a "catch 22" situation and unless they secure wealthy husbands which will permit them to disgard the idea of a working career, they will have a difficult time finding their place in society. Fortunately the men usually go off to the military or the navy which has largely become a tradition. Royals like Zara Phillips at least has her horse riding to keep her active which she can use and develop later to become a form of professional trainer. Beatrice and Eugenie will have a problem as they currently have no interests which could be used for future career purposes.

Last edited:
They are definitely in a "catch 22" situation and unless they secure wealthy husbands which will permit them to disgard the idea a working career, they will have a difficult time finding their place in society. Fortunately the men usually go off to the military or the navy which has largely become a tradition. Royals like Zara Phillips at least has her horse riding to keep her active which she can use later to become a form of trainer. Beatrice and Eugenie will have a problem as they currently have no interests which could be used for career purposes.

Beatrice has just finished a History degree which shows that she does have interests with career prospects such as research, writing, teaching etc.

I could see her working for something like the Royal Archives, which like the military, could allow her lots of time off to do royal duties if that was the way the family had wanted to go but even now that could be an option - if she was so inclined.

History is a full time career for many people - she could even take up some of Edward's projects - like his Edward on Edward series or the one he did on royal connections around Britain. Yes she would be using her royal connections but would be being up front about it - e.g. she could do a series on the different Duke's of York throughout history - using the records in the archives and the royal places associated with them.

Eugenie is doing a degree in English, History of Art and Politics - all of which have career opportunities attached (politics is probably out although she is eligible stand for election to the House of Commons and to vote etc but she will probably follow the rest of the family and remain outside politics - only the monarch is expressly forbidden from expressing political opinions - the other choose not to do so but they do have the right).

Last edited:
If the family don't want them to do royal work then they can't use their position.

It seems that Beatrice wanted to work with charities but has been told by the royal family's courtiers - 'thanks but no thanks'.

I did not know that, wow. That is a bit unfortunate for Beatrice and very unfair. I know they want to "cut down" the Royal family size, but that is still a bit unlucky for Beatrice. I have no doubt that she will find a career in life somewhere down the line. She could always do charity work as Sarah does charity work, without a Royal title.

Thank you for this info Iluvbertie. Oh yes, research and teaching would be a very good option for both Beatrice and Eugenie. I do hope that they put their degrees to good use especially since we are a country so rich with history. Historians may seem slightly old fashioned but I do think this is a very full and rewarding career.

Last edited:
Thank you for this info Iluvbertie. Oh yes, research and teaching would be a very good option for both Beatrice and Eugenie. I do hope that they put their degrees to good use especially since we are a country so rich with history.

I most definitely could see Beatrice as a stay at home mom and doing research on projects from home. :D

I did not know that, wow. That is a bit unfortunate for Beatrice and very unfair. I know they want to "cut down" the Royal family size, but that is still a bit unlucky for Beatrice. I have no doubt that she will find a career in life somewhere down the line. She could always do charity work as Sarah does charity work, without a Royal title.

The problem with that is where is Bea to get the money from to support herself?

We have seen what happened with Sarah and surely don't want Bea to go that route but without a proper job she simply won't be able to afford to do charity work and also won't be able to do it full time.

Surely Beatrice could do some work connected with the many historical sites in Britain? Places like Kensington Palace or the National Gallery need fund-raising activities; why couldn't she chair something like that?

Mirabel said:
Surely Beatrice could do some work connected with the many historical sites in Britain? Places like Kensington Palace or the National Gallery need fund-raising activities; why couldn't she chair something like that?

Because that's charity work, not work she can use to support herself. She'll be called a freeloader

Not sure how it is in England, but jobs that have to do with charity work for major foundations aren't free jobs. They are highly paid and coveted (at least for the non profit world). Its all about who you are, what you know and who you know. Making contacts and relationships with major donors and/or corporations. Its socializing, knowing the right person to work on in regards your organization, keeping true to the organization's mission, etc. For some organizations its not an easy sell, especially in a economy such as this. You are trying to convince people, companies that the National Gallery (with all that is going on in the world) is the the organization that needs the money. Some foundations have yearly fundraising goals. Its not easy work.

In addition, any chair position would require a significant amount of experience and education that Beatrice doesn't have. Her degree is a start, but there are probably people who either currently hold the job and have the proper experience and/or education. She would be have better off working as an intern, and than getting a entry level job at such a place.

But again, most likely we would hear cries from the DM (and the regular posters) that she that by working at an entry level job she is taking the position from someone more worthy.

Last edited:
The problem with that is where is Bea to get the money from to support herself?

We have seen what happened with Sarah and surely don't want Bea to go that route but without a proper job she simply won't be able to afford to do charity work and also won't be able to do it full time.

Beatrice does have access to a trust fund and reputedly the Queen has also topped this up. Ditto Eugenie. [This is the trust fund that, on her own admission, Sarah 'dips into' as well. (Groan) ] Apparently the Queen Mother made provision for them in her will as well, on the basis that she wanted to ensure that those grandchildren and great-grandchildren not entitled to funding from other sources [e.g Duchy of Cornwall] 'would not go short'.

Because that's charity work, not work she can use to support herself. She'll be called a freeloader

There are two types of 'Charity Work' in the UK: paid and unpaid.

Unpaid is traditionally undertaken by those who are [slightly unkindly] referred to as 'Ladies who Lunch'. They sit on fundraising committees [particularly if they have titles or other superb connections: wife of a banker / industrialist / rich Russian etc] and are there principally as a 'draw' to raise money. A charity ball is a good example: there will be a Ball Committee, usually consisting of an 'honorary chairman' and others -often her friends - whose job it is to sell tickets to the ball, and raffle tickets etc and persuade sponsors to come up with prizes for the raffle, for the inevitable 'charity auction' that takes place at the ball and also [hopefully] donations and sponsorship so that all the ticket money can go straight to the 'good cause' without being used to defray the cost of room hire [usually at a Grand Hotel], food, drink, programme etc .

Paid positions are quite different. Salaries in the not-for-profit sector are continuing to rise, but are not quite yet at the same level as equivalent positions in the private sector. Charities and not-for-profits are now run very much like businesses though: the old feeling of 'good-intentioned amateur' has been swept away by a vigorous and thoroughly professional approach. There are financial people, marketing people, well-paid senior executives and Directors. Some of the 'old guard' don't like the new changes and feel that the Charity sector is moving away from the previous ethos of helping people to a more slick approach where everything feels like a business. For example, each year there are tales in the better papers about 'cruel charities' acting in what people feel is a heavy-handed way: for example, elderly folk talk about aggressive charity executives trying to get them to 'sign away the ownership in their homes' with the charity building them a small flatlet and then taking over the rest of the property etc. Other people report about making a small donation to charity only to receive aggressive marketing telephone calls from charity executives or people employed by them 'urging them to increase their gifts'. Often the elderly folk report along the lines of 'she wouldn't stop pestering me until I agreed to increase my gift to £100 a month from the £25 I had originally offered. There are all-too frequent stories of sons and daughters suddenly finding that their elderly parents have made huge donations [often most of their estates] to charities that they have never before had any connection with: the reason being that they have been 'targeted' by charities [often major ones!! who should know better] and persuaded to change their wills in favour of the charity. Sadly these charities prey on elderly people and their loneliness: their sons and daughters might live too far away to visit often and work makes their time very limited: and then the charity sends its executives ['nice people'!] once a week to 'visit them' and then they suggest that wills are changed. Winding up Estates can take time as well, and there are a good many tales about how charities in line to receive legacies have bullied and pushed sons and daughters into paying extra interest etc with the result that sometimes families have had to sell assets quicker than they wished to, etc etc.

The point of the foregoing is to set out how careful the BRF will have to proceed if Beatrice is to get work in the charity sector. I think that it would be best if she did a little work in the archives at Windsor Caslte. or something similar. A whiff of controversy - not even her fault of course - and things could start looking problematic.

The real difficulty for both girls, I feel, is what sort of lifestyle they intend to enjoy. Without any evidence, I just feel that the offspring of Edward and Sophie are going to have a much less 'flash' existence. The worry with Beatrice and Eugenie - and again, I say this with only the evidence of my eyes - is that they might feel they prefer the 'flash trash' lifestyle of their mother, and that can come expensive....

Only my thoughts, and I do not mean to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
I didn't realize that Eugenie was studying politics. I thought she was studying English and History of Art. If she's interested in Politics - I don't know hoe a career in that field would work for her because of her family background. But you never know, I guess she could be prime minister one day. ;)

Just a thought Beatrice's future career: perhaps she could get a Master's degree, and then she'd be more qualified to get a better-paying job and wouldn't have to start at an entry level.

The sad thing is that they might have to drift into obscurity before they could land jobs. Clients would find it very distracting, i.e., Mr. Jones's assistant is Princess Beatrice, or even Beatrice York.

I don't think PB will ever have to support herself, as she will marry Dave. I can't speculate on PE, as I don't know very much about her. I would take a guess that she will also marry well and never work for money.

I doubt either one of them will ever be on the dole, working or not working, married or not married. Getting a job usually has a great deal to do with ones connections and there can be no doubt that these two young ladies are very well connected. No matter what they studied in university very few people actually start to work in the field they studied in unless they took accounting or something along that line. A degree merely proves you have they ability to learn. No matter what they chose to do some people will be critical of their choices or say that some other person should have got that job. They just have to ignore the critics, hold their heads high, and get on with whatever job (royal or otherwise) they decide to take on.

What I can't understand is that why aren't they working as royals? I mean they have the HRH and all, what's the use of it if you don't work as a HRH?

Back
Top Bottom