Career Options for Princess Beatrice

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I can't understand is that why aren't they working as royals? I mean they have the HRH and all, what's the use of it if you don't work as a HRH?

To piggyback on this, as we know, the next generation of Gloucesters & Kents are non-royals. Anne, Andrew & Edward can only do so much (well, Andrew & Edward anyway). William & Harry are wrapped up in the military for the near future. I simply don't see the problem with letting Beatrice & Eugenie carry out royal roles. They are the future Princess Alexandras, if you will. Just Charles, William and Harry make a mighty pared down monarchy, a little too much if you ask me.

It would also serve to let the girls come out of their mother's shadow and showcase them as the lovely, well-mannered, socially responsible young women that I understand them to be.

Is it just our speculation that BP has put a stop to a royal career for Beatrice & Eugenie or has something specific been stated?

I don't foresee Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice having much of a Royal role because of Charles' desire to pare down the family. So long as their mother, who I've always happened to like, is in the picture, they can't be trusted in Prince Charles' eyes. I'm certain Princess Beatrice's hat at the Royal Wedding just cemented it for him.

Both of the York girls should pursue careers akin to their relation Lady Helen Windsor who worked as a brand ambassador for Armani for 17 years, as well as for the jewelry house Bulgari. Certainly it's commercial work, but it's also high end and not among "the people" like Fergie's work has been with Weight Watchers and Wedgewood.

Alternatively, they could both go into teaching, archival work within the Royal Archives, paid charity positions, as travel or fashion writers, novelists or non-fiction book writers, art galleries, auction houses like Christie's or Sotheby's and publishing houses.

Failing that, both will just get married, show up at galas and be derided in the press.

The Yorks as a whole, Andrew, Sarah, Beatrice and Eugenie, cannot ever win. They are doomed to be the "wicked" side of the family, just as Princess Margaret was for The Queen.

What I can't understand is that why aren't they working as royals? I mean they have the HRH and all, what's the use of it if you don't work as a HRH?

They aren't/won't be working as royals because they have apparently been told by those more senior than them that they aren't wanted or needed in that role.

Beatrice has only just finished university (she has her formal graduation on Friday this week) and the reports that have been around since March this year is that she and Eugenie have been told by the suits around the monarchy that they won't be doing royal duties but will have to get their own jobs and support themselves. They aren't going on the monarch's payroll.

The reasons for this are linked to Andrew's fall from grace with reports also stating that William was furious with Andrew for the peadophile story coming out in the lead up to his wedding, along with the decade old reports that Charles wants to make the royal family smaller.

Beatrice and Eugenie are the first, and will probably be the only, royals to be so affected as William's children will go the royal duties route but Beatrice and Eugenie are setting the precedent that HRHs from younger children will have to work for their own living. Edward's children don't have the HRH which is another sign of the reducing size of the royal family and I wouldn't be surprised if Harry takes that same route for his children - giving them that same freedom.

When Beatrice and Eugenie were born the expectations were different but after the disasters of the 90s the public called for a smaller royal family so William and Harry will have to pick up the slack as the Queen's generation continue to age (of course Kate should also start doing things on her own soon as well).

In other words, known for the clothes and jewelry they wear at the "right" events. To my mind, that's not much different than being an empty-headed socialite in nice clothes. I'd much rather see them do something substantial if they're going to be in public. My preference is for them to do something behind-the-scenes that makes a contribution to society and save the public appearances to special family occasions.

Both of the York girls should pursue careers akin to their relation Lady Helen Windsor who worked as a brand ambassador for Armani for 17 years, as well as for the jewelry house Bulgari.

In other words, known for the clothes and jewelry they wear at the "right" events. To my mind, that's not much different than being an empty-headed socialite in nice clothes. .
But unfortunately for Beatrice and Eugenie, they already kind of have that image. Except after the wedding in April, not many people think they even wear nice clothes!

As for career options for Beatrice, I really have no idea. For the next few years it will be interesting to see how the Royal Family changes as some members begin to cut back and others really begin their royal life. But I just don’t know where Beatrice or Eugenie fit into that equation. I feel sorry for Beatrice right now as she sees the people around her begin their intended careers whereas she could be completely unsure of her future. Or maybe she already has it all figured out! We’ll know soon enough I guess.

I would hope that she does know by now. She has been at university for a couple of years and there has never been a guarantee they would be put on the royal payroll. Charles has let his plan be known for years. Although both Sarah and Andrew wanted them to do royal duties, although I must admit I have never trusted Sarah's interest in this. Charles wants a smaller official family and he will be the next in charge so the Queen would listen to what he wants. If she was to put them on for Royal Duties he would be stuck with them. They can get jobs HRH in front of your name doesn't stop you from working it can open doors and providing you do a good job and don't behave like you should be the one in charge it will in time work out fine. Prince Edward had a job as a gopher for awhile he made tea and didn't expect any special treatment. The girls will need to do the same but if they expect to be able to take as many holidays as they now do then yes they will get ripped apart in the press for taking too much time off. As long as they work hard and no one goes and sells stories about them in time they will be ignored unless they do something. If being an HRH is so bad they could always give it up they no longer have full time police protection and it has been made clear they will not be working for the family. Even without it they are still Princesses. Prince Edward doesn't seem to mind his two kids not having it so it is actually rather strange that Beatrice and Eugenie still do, they were born in a time when nothing was thought of it. Now things have changed.

Prince Edward chose not to have his children styled as HRHs, though they legally are.

I think it was probably to prevent them from facing the dilemma that Beatrice and Eugenie face now.

I am still curious to know the real reason behind Princess Beatrice's decision to work as a shopping assistant at Selfridges dring her gap year. Why? What could she possibly get from doing this sort of servant's job?

Some reasons come to mind: she wanted to figure out if there woud be a difference for her inner feeling of self when she was for once not the "princess" but the "servant".

She was looking for an entree into the world of fashion. But then she could have chosen a better place, no?

She is into sociological studies and wanted to find out how super rich women react to "normal people" on not being aware who she is. But this backfired?

Or (and now comes a not so nice reason):

She already planned back then a career as a "Princess for Rent" working for her mother's new company "Access to a Princess Ltd." where people could book her appearances and wanted to find out how it would feel to be not a guest from the highest social level but a somewhat employed person. :D

Unlike her mother, Beatrice will always be a Princess of the Blood Royal and thus can get away with close to anything. I hope she will be wise in what she does with this historic legacy.

I feel rather sorry for Beatrice and Eugenie, in a way. Because I think it's their parents' fault that they aren't wanted for royal duties. Princess Alexandra, the Kents, the Gloucesters are all approaching retirement; it seems natural for the York girls to take up the slack (but the actions of their parents have put paid to that)!

I am still curious to know the real reason behind Princess Beatrice's decision to work as a shopping assistant at Selfridges dring her gap year. Why? What could she possibly get from doing this sort of servant's job? She was looking for an entree into the world of fashion. But then she could have chosen a better place, no?

Maybe that's the only place she could get. A fashion house - any fashion house - wants to be associated with people with a good if not Great and FABULOUS fashion sense or a very trendy or innovative sharp dresser, not with someone who is regularly ridiculed in the press for her tacky ill-fitted choice of attire.

Associating the Yorks females with good fashion is almost an impossible thing for me. IMHO they always have something off when they show up and absolutely no consistency if they ever ever by a lucky accident get ONE outfit right once in a blue moon.

They remind me of The Princess Royale except she, at least, doesn't try to get all the attention with her wardrobe. She just recycles way too much and, like here nieces, has a poor sense of what's in.

Maybe the bad fashion gene that is plaging Beatrice and Eugenie is not just coming from Sarah but also from Andrew!

I am still curious to know the real reason behind Princess Beatrice's decision to work as a shopping assistant at Selfridges dring her gap year. Why? What could she possibly get from doing this sort of servant's job?

Please could I help with a little background information here?

Selfridges is a pretty upscale department store. It was always rated as such, but in recent years people feel that it has become even more so - which is connected, I think, to the fact that the store was taken over by The Weston Family. Galen Weston is both very wealthy AND fantastically well connected - he is a huge friend of royalty - he played polo with Prince Charles and was living at Fort Belvedere. In other words there was both a 'Royal connection' and a 'Major Ronald Ferguson connection'. Galen's wife Hilary was Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. Galen and Hilary are Canadian citizens. The Weston family also own Holt Renfrew, the famous upscale Canadian Store.

The royal of personal shopping assistant is not really a 'servant role' but an 'employee role'. It is quite a coveted position as an entree in the world of fashion - buying and, come to that, fashion journalism. Very well connected young ladies - 'Sloane Ranger types' - fight to get such temporary positions.

i would speculate that Beatrice's job there was arranged though the Royal Family / York connection and could have been intended to give her experience of the world of fashion.

I hope this is of some help,

Alex

Last edited:
I have been a personal shopping assistant. It is merely contacting the customer to let them know when something has come in that they would like. Now, I had to learn how to "nudge" the customer into the purchase (and I was paid commission only). This position was excellent for learning how to handle people.

I don't know how it works in the UK but in the states non profits are a good to earn a living and make a difference.I know many people who work for various organizations.

Of course as some have pointed out there are other things the York girls could do in art,fashion or publishing.

Penny Lane said:
I don't know how it works in the UK but in the states non profits are a good to earn a living and make a difference.I know many people who work for various organizations.

Of course as some have pointed out there are other things the York girls could do in art,fashion or publishing.

I think there'd probably be an outcry if they accepted a salary from a charity- "donations going to the salary of Princess Beatrice instead of to the people it's supposed to help" kind of thing.

Non-profits can certainly provide great jobs for most people, but I think it might be bad PR here.

What about a job in a museum or library?

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Princess Beatrice graduates as proud Andrew and Fergie look on

Well, this article just about covers everything we've addressed here to date...looks like some internships and then a job for Princess Beatrice with some charity work thrown in for good measure. She seems to be taking it all in stride...good for her!

Thanks for posting that - very interesting stuff, and some nice pictures too!

I thought this quote from the palace spokesman was interesting:
"Princess Beatrice will over the coming months broaden her knowledge and experience to complement her position as a member of the Royal Family".
That sounds to me as if she will be taking on Royal duties, but I wonder if it may be part-time alongside a paid job of some sort.
I'm pleased that she will continuing with her charity work, as it has always seemed that she has a passion for it, and it would be good for her to be able to make a difference in life.

Perfect timing for Beatrice to make the announcement about her future plans - on graduation day. I think she has made a good decision if she combines internships about philanthropy with internships on business - the best of both her parents' worlds.

As for royal duties, the announcement does sound like they are leaving the door open for that.

I'm pleased that she will continuing with her charity work, as it has always seemed that she has a passion for it, and it would be good for her to be able to make a difference in life.

Yes, but it says she wants to promote her mother's favorite charities, and I think Beatrice should steer clear of anything connected to Fergie. I get that she loves her mother and wants to support her, but IMO she'd be better off going to the Queen and asking to take on a charity traditionally associated with Princess Alexandra or perhaps the Kents (since they wish to slow down anyway).

Last edited:
I think that she's made some good decisions, too. The internships will give her experience and help her decide on her life's work. I'm glad for the possibility that she's going to do some work for HM as well.

Perfect timing for Beatrice to make the announcement about her future plans - on graduation day. I think she has made a good decision if she combines internships about philanthropy with internships on business - the best of both her parents' worlds.

The press just can't resist taking a swipe at her, can they - from the Dailymail article link above
"However the young royal will not, it seems, suffer the challenges faced by other young graduates desperately seeking a foothold in the job market." Later they hit on the taxpayers paying for protection officers for her and the 300,000 spent to renovate her St. James apartment as well.
I found this quote interesting too, as I had assumed the BRF didn't want her to do royal engagements "Friends have always said she is reluctant to become a full time working member of the Royal family..."
Two questions:
1) Didn't the Queen attend William's graduation? Was she there, was Dave Clark there and how about Eugenie?
2) Here in the US a college degree takes 4 years, is it different in England? We do have 2 year degrees.
I think a series of internships is a good idea.

2) Here in the US a college degree takes 4 years, is it different in England? We do have 2 year degrees.
I think a series of internships is a good idea.

Most undergraduate degrees in the UK take 3 years to complete, which is what Beatrice has done and quite well with an Honors 2:1. William spent an extra year at St Andrew's in order to obtain his Masters.

The Queen was at her grandsons' graduations in an official capacity, although I have no doubt that her schedule was arranged so that she could attend their "passing out" ceremonies.

1) Didn't the Queen attend William's graduation? Was she there, was Dave Clark there and how about Eugenie?

Most undergraduate degrees in the UK take 3 years to complete, which is what Beatrice has done and quite well with an Honors 2:1. William spent an extra year at St Andrew's in order to obtain his Masters.

Just a correction:
Scottish undergraduate degrees are MA, and take 4 years to complete. A postgraduate masters degree in Scotland are MSc and take an additional year to achieve. So William has an undergraduate degree only like the rest of his family. :flowers:

The Queen was at her grandsons' graduations in an official capacity, although I have no doubt that her schedule was arranged so that she could attend their "passing out" ceremonies.

Was the Queen at William's St Andrews graduation in an official capacity? She obviously attended Harry and William's "passing out" as Commander-in-Chief

I'm not sure she was at William's graduation ceremony in an official capacity. I don't believe she attended Peter's or Zara's either.

Back
Top Bottom