Career Options for Princess Beatrice

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember her being at Prince William's St. Andrew's ceremony.

I don't remember her being at Prince William's St. Andrew's ceremony.

She and Prince Phillip were definitely there. They sat in the balcony (I believe) with Charles and Camilla.

Somewhere could be read that beatrice could only invite two people for her graduation ceremony and obviously she brought mother and father with her (not sure if it was her choice or if her parents insisted) but she obviously decided not to ask for any privileges, like in bringing Granny along.... Which would not have meant extra people but an awful lot of security and extra work for the organizers of said ceremony...

I think Beatrice has many options and is in a fortunate position overall with regard to her career options. IMO her relatively low place in the line of succession means that there aren't a lot of careers she couldn't pursue, an exception maybe being politics. She could work at a museum, at a non profit, at a company or business, she could do further graduate training and look at teaching or research. If the HRH became an issue she could cease to use it in her professional life. I don't know if I see either of the York ladies following a traditional career path, though.

I think Beatrice has many options and is in a fortunate position overall with regard to her career options. IMO her relatively low place in the line of succession means that there aren't a lot of careers she couldn't pursue, an exception maybe being politics. She could work at a museum, at a non profit, at a company or business, she could do further graduate training and look at teaching or research. If the HRH became an issue she could cease to use it in her professional life. I don't know if I see either of the York ladies following a traditional career path, though.

Her relatively low place? She's fifth. Two cars with Charles, William, Harry and her father - gone, and she's Queen Beatrice.
She will always be a HRH and known as one if she looses it in marriage, not sure if she does. She will be criticised to the hilt if she gets a paying job that can be in anyway connecting to her 'contacts' or HRH. Even Catherine was accused of using William in the job circle. Beatrice has got to be careful, and is better sticking to non-profit charity&/work (away from her mother) until she's married and then thinking of something paid perhaps.

She'll always be Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice. She won't lose her title upon marriage. Her title is her birthright.

She will always be a HRH and known as one if she looses it in marriage, not sure if she does. She will be criticised to the hilt if she gets a paying job that can be in anyway connecting to her 'contacts' or HRH.

She'll always be Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice. She won't lose her title upon marriage. Her title is her birthright.

Thank you - those LPs confuse me to heavens sometimes. :flowers:

Her relatively low place? She's fifth. Two cars with Charles, William, Harry and her father - gone, and she's Queen Beatrice.
She will always be a HRH and known as one if she looses it in marriage, not sure if she does. She will be criticised to the hilt if she gets a paying job that can be in anyway connecting to her 'contacts' or HRH. Even Catherine was accused of using William in the job circle. Beatrice has got to be careful, and is better sticking to non-profit charity&/work (away from her mother) until she's married and then thinking of something paid perhaps.

Yes, her relatively low place. The odds of Beatrice becoming queen are extraordinarily low and she'll continue to drop ever further down the list as the years go on.
And just because she's legally HRH Princess Beatrice doesn't mean she needs to use the title. I believe Prince Edward's children are legally TRH Prince James and Princess Louise of Wessex but they're not routinely styled as such. Beatrice certainly has the option of not using her title in her day to day working life. Yes, she'll face lots of criticism if she finds paying work but, surprise, surprise, she'll face at least as much criticism if she doesn't.
To be clear though I think a regular, long term, paying job is likely not what these women are going to wind up doing over the next few years. But I disagree with those who think it wouldn't be an option.

Yes, her relatively low place. The odds of Beatrice becoming queen are extraordinarily low and she'll continue to drop ever further down the list as the years go on.
And just because she's legally HRH Princess Beatrice doesn't mean she needs to use the title. I believe Prince Edward's children are legally TRH Prince James and Princess Louise of Wessex but they're not routinely styled as such. Beatrice certainly has the option of not using her title in her day to day working life. Yes, she'll face lots of criticism if she finds paying work but, surprise, surprise, she'll face at least as much criticism if she doesn't.
To be clear though I think a regular, long term, paying job is likely not what these women are going to wind up doing over the next few years. But I disagree with those who think it wouldn't be an option.

Not to get side-tracked but IMHO Princess Beatrice certainly does not hold a "low place" in the order of succession. As she is a grand-daughter to the sovereign, daughter to a son of the sovereign, niece to the heir apparent and first cousin to the 2nd in line to the throne...I doubt she will be "squeezed out" from taking on a schedule of royal duties. Perhaps not receiving as much media coverage as her father, grandmother, uncles, aunts and cousins, which should be expected and simultaneously welcomed. I see her and Princess Eugenie taking on roles similar to the late Princess Margaret and Princess Alexandra of Kent. Again IMHO...

I am going to answer that here
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...princesses-beatrice-and-eugenie-10023-42.html

I have been a personal shopping assistant. It is merely contacting the customer to let them know when something has come in that they would like. Now, I had to learn how to "nudge" the customer into the purchase (and I was paid commission only). This position was excellent for learning how to handle people.

The Personal Shoppers in Selfridges are a little different. Their role is to work with customers who need dressing - often for particular occasions, but sometimes just 'generally'. The idea is that the customer makes an appointment with the 'Personal Shopping Suite' giving the Personal Shopper service some idea of what she likes, what the occasion(s) are that she needs 'dressing' for, her measurements and some idea of her budget. The Personal Shopper then scouts the store and puts together a selection of possibilities. On the appointed day, the customer heads towards the Suite and, after being plied with free refreshments, is taken to a dressing room and surveys the selections and then tries on any that she likes. Alternatively, the customer can then head round the store with the Personal Shopper, who knows where other alternatives might be found.

A typical instruction is to put together an outfit for Royal Ascot or a Wedding. If the personal shopper has done her stuff correctly, a number of elegant outfits, beautifully accessorised, should be waiting for her and at the budget she has requested.

I prefer to do my own wardrobe, but friends of mine do use this sort of service, which is offered by many major department stores. One of my friends who does use Selfridges reports that it is actually quite good and that the store can deliver on budget - even if the budget is quite small - and that there is no pressure to buy.

The experience gained is felt to be ideal for a career in fashion journalism, or as useful experience before going on to study fashion at College.

Hope this is of interest

Alex

Last edited:
:previous:The position would work into what you've stated, but would start out as a sort of apprenticeship. She would not have the expertise to do what you describe from day 1. If she did well going forward, she would be promoted to the position of buyer.

:previous:The position would work into what you've stated, but would start out as a sort of apprenticeship. She would not have the expertise to do what you describe from day 1. If she did well going forward, she would be promoted to the position of buyer.

.... except there may be the small matter of the track record of Beatrice dressing for occassions. Not sure I would want to use the skills of the young princess as a personal shopper.

.... except there may be the small matter of the track record of Beatrice dressing for occassions. Not sure I would want to use the skills of the young princess as a personal shopper.

But I have no doubt she does know exactly what is appropriate for any official occasion. It's a bit like Sarah Buys, Camilla's daughter-in-law. I can't remember having seen her in an outfit where I said: wow! Instead very often I think; what did she think... Still, she is a reknown fashion journalist because she has that special feeling for upcoming trends and how to visualise them so that they are right there for anybody to see when the time has come for them to be fashionable. That really is a very important talent and it doesn't matter how she herself looks as long as this talent is there and recognized.

So far I believe Beatrice has a general grip on trends and especially on colours. On a topmodel her fashion choices would look great, they are daring but still mainstream. They often have interesting details and variations on current fashion trends that to me look even a bit "satorical" ( well, like a satirical view on satorial efforts). IMHO Beatrice's problem is that she can't be her own model and neither can her mother and sister. But maybe there is more to her then we think at this point.

Journalism ? Yes, but why does it have to be fashion journalism ??

Beatrice ended up doing a degree which had nothing to do with fashion so I don't see it as an industry she will be going into. Not sure what all these internships are she has lined up or how they work but I'm sure we should find out soon where she is working etc. Do interns get paid? Is it normal to do more then one internship?

So far I believe Beatrice has a general grip on trends and especially on colours. On a topmodel her fashion choices would look great, they are daring but still mainstream.

I suspect if she were dressing a top model, her choices may well work.

Anyways, my own view is that there is a host of career options open to Beatrice and Eugenie, and they will do well to pursue them with a gusto. If they are seen to work hard and do well in their careers, they may well be useful additions to the working BRF, if required, at the appropriate juncture, in the fullness of time.

Beatrice ended up doing a degree which had nothing to do with fashion so I don't see it as an industry she will be going into.

Maybe she is interested in history but didn't want to study history as a main topic because she didn't want to have to do nonstop with the history of her own family. But I think the basic methods of academical research and scientific studies are the same at the more "artistically" orientated Goldsmith College of the University of London as they are in other institutes of historical research of that university. So just wait and see where she will end up. I think fashion is talked about as a potential choice because it is one interest of her that is known while others are not so public knowledge.

I think that Princess Beatrice might be better leaving the fashion industry to the likes of Victoria Beckham and Stella McCartney.

Beatrice, I feel, will work in a socially more helpful and humanitarian field.
I can see her working in museums, aide organisations, Church of England charities, research, education and training, British industries, health care, or the military.

Royal engagements would couple well with private work that involves not only the privileged. The fashion industry mostly services the wealthy.

Royalty services the non-trendy, the needy, the elderly, the environment, the traditional as well as respecting all cultures and religions and supporting the arts, sports, works and trades that people practise.
Where Royals spend their time is not influenced by popular vote nor political persuasion.

That is the benefit of having a non elected Royal family... and the reason why it's important that they maintain their practise of religion ... so to cultivate reflection, kindness and self meditation and evaluation. Royals have to be dominated by something higher than profit and fame. (That's not to say that they are perfect but that they recognise that they are definitely not perfect; they are not Gods nor ruled by the 'Gods' of society - money and power.)

Princess Beatrice, while having fun with fashion, will work in an area that requires depth of compassion.

Brain storm ... Actually, Beatrice could start up an innovative select line of robust clothing made from pure wool/woollen blend and made in Britain. The range could be really practical - well made over coats, jeans, socks and jumpers that look at home on any street. She could set up a 'Two For One' shop. People would pay twice as much as they normally would. The buyer then takes their purchase home and, at the same time, ( this is the clever part) an IDENTICAL item is placed in a mini van ready for distribution to the needy. C of E charities and The Salvation Army would be well placed to hand out the clothing. Similarly, Beatrice could design a cotton/woollen garment or two for children to be sold at the same shop. The duplicates of these could be given to The Red Cross for use in overseas emergencies ... There, that's Beatrice all worked out - poor girl!

Last edited:
I'm not really sure.Beatrice has never made a public statement of what career she wants.Just because she likes fashion does not mean she wants to be in it.The same thing with her degree in history.Maybe she has interest in it but does not want a career in it.Who knows.

I saw in a interview that she did for her 18th birthday that she wants to "be like her mum".Maybe that means doing chairity a lot.

But I hope she takes advantage since some of her cousins and family did not have a choice of having a career.

IloveCP said:
.Beatrice has never made a public statement of what career she wants.

I don't think that will ever happen. There is no reason to 'announce' what she's doing.

I'm not really sure.Beatrice has never made a public statement of what career she wants.Just because she likes fashion does not mean she wants to be in it.The same thing with her degree in history.Maybe she has interest in it but does not want a career in it.Who knows.

I saw in a interview that she did for her 18th birthday that she wants to "be like her mum".Maybe that means doing chairity a lot.

But I hope she takes advantage since some of her cousins and family did not have a choice of having a career.

One of her cousins didn't have a choice. And even that is not a lock, William could surprise us and decide that he doesn't want to be king. A long shot that I'm not willing to put money on but still there.

As for being like her mother. Yes, Sarah does have plenty of good examples but I think it'd be best to go through the Firm for help with that rather than her mother.

I'm not so sure that Beatrice wants to go to work. If I had a full purse of my own or adequate spending money from another source, I don't know if I would work either.

I wonder whether there's a possibility that Beatrice has been looking for work and not finding anything. There could be a perception among employers that hiring her would be a headache: that she might want a very flexible schedule, that they'd be accused of hiring her because of her social status and not for her employability, that she wouldn't be as good a worker as someone who really needed to work, etc. I've been reading some articles in American Vogue by Princess Elizabeth von Thurn und Taxis. Is there any reason why Beatrice couldn't do something like that? She writes articles about culture and travel. http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/tnt-berlin-baby/

Last edited:
I wonder whether there's a possibility that Beatrice has been looking for work and not finding anything. There could be a perception among employers that hiring her would be a headache: that she might want a very flexible schedule, that they'd be accused of hiring her because of her social status and not for her employability, that she wouldn't be as good a worker as someone who really needed to work, etc.

That's certainly a great possibility, it goes alongside the theory of a royal getting a job over a commoner getting one. The press and public would put it down to connections, favours and even bribes. That's not really going to help the York girls.

I really think if Bea was looking for work that we would hear about it. Showing up at parties and holiday spots isn't good PR but a Princess trying to find a job would be. It could be that she just wants to party she doesn't need the money but if that is the road she has chosen then she can't complain if the press have a go at her!

Back
Top Bottom