The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Would St Margarets Church at Wesminster be in the running,as in the past it was the venue for Lord Mountbatten and Edwina Ashley, Sir Winston Churchill and Clementine Churchill and David Armstrong-Jones and Serena Stanhope non royal Weddings .

Old 09-30-2019, 06:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

You read my mind....I have been wondering about St. Margaret's Westminster too.

It has hosted quite a few noble/aristocrat weddings.

Diana Princess of Wales's parents married there and I think Ronald Ferguson(father of Sarah) and his wife did as well.

No slap on St. George's...which is divine...but after three straight weddings there I want a change of scene.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 09-30-2019, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Yes, it's been mentioned before and I can't think why it wouldn't be in the running. Really, I think it all depends on whether they want a London wedding or not.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:14 PM
Royal Highness

St. Margaret's is gorgeous, I've been to a couple of services there. It's got a very interesting history and I don't think it's currently a Royal Peculiar like WA but it's under the authority of the Dean of Westminster and no longer a parish.

If they wanted a London wedding, that might be a venue. Hard to escape the "junior Royal Wedding" feel when right next to the Abbey your parents and cousin got married in though, if that bothers them. I think it would bother Andrew anyway. It has hosted a lot of big society weddings but it also has a name as the House of Commons church.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:13 PM
Majesty

Could the Archbishop of York be chosen to perform the marriage service of Edoardo and Princess Beatrice?
Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Archbishop of York was involved in Eugenie's wedding so I would expect him to do something similar at Eugenie's even if he didn't conduct that actual marriage ceremony itself.

I am wondering whether they are going to go for something quite small and intimate rather than big.

They could have the small intimate ceremony, say in the private chapel at Windsor, or even at Sandringham while the Queen is there, with just immediate family present and the have the 800+ people at the reception later.

I am just getting some vibes - of a smaller wedding.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Victoria wore black though and a widow's cap and veil for the last forty years of her life. Not very cheerful for a wedding or appropriate with Prince Philip still around.

And, strictly speaking, Victoria didn't wear a crinoline for her wedding in 1840. They didn't come into fashion in England until around 1857. There were crinolines at her eldest son's wedding but that was at St Georges Chapel. More room!
My mistake. What would you call the skirts worn at Queen Victoria's wedding - full skirts?
Given that the ladies will be in dresses, coats and hats at Beatrice's wedding the biggest problem will be to fit in the hats and not the dresses.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Could the Archbishop of York be chosen to perform the marriage service of Edoardo and Princess Beatrice?
Yes, Eugenie did. Like her sister, she could choose to have the Archbishop involved (he wrote a special prayer for Eugenie) due to their father's title.

If they are married at St George's, would be customary for the Dean of Windsor to be involved in the ceremony. But certainly he would be accompanied usually. Harry and Meghan had both the American bishop, and Archbishop of Canterbury. Eugenie had the Dean and Archbishop of York.

Edward chose to have the Bishop of Norwich perform his wedding. The bishop is head of the diocese Sandringham is in. Edward had a personal bond with the man and with the blessing of the Archbishop, the bishop performed theirs.

St Margaret's is lovely but I have my doubts about London. One thing would be it would cause an issue for a reception. I dont see the queen hosting more then a lunch reception for the couple as she did for Eugenie. That leaves a question of where they would host the evening party which they are sure to have. The bonus of St George's is that they are close to Royal Lodge for Andrew to host the evening as he did Eugenie.

I highly doubt they will have a 'family only' ceremony in the private chapel, followed by a big reception. This couple doesnt seem the type.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

St Margaret's is lovely but I have my doubts about London. One thing would be it would cause an issue for a reception. I dont see the queen hosting more then a lunch reception for the couple as she did for Eugenie. That leaves a question of where they would host the evening party which they are sure to have. The bonus of St George's is that they are close to Royal Lodge for Andrew to host the evening as he did Eugenie.
If I remember accurately, after the Queen hosted the lunch for Wiliam and Kate. Charles then hosted the evening party at BP.
Couldn't Andrew do the same?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
You read my mind....I have been wondering about St. Margaret's Westminster too.

It has hosted quite a few noble/aristocrat weddings.

Diana Princess of Wales's parents married there and I think Ronald Ferguson(father of Sarah) and his wife did as well.

Actually Diana's parents marrid at Westminstr Abbey but then Viscount Linley marred at St. Margarets in 1993.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

But they could still have an evening reception at Roal Lodge in the evening as it is not so far from London. I rememer when the Queen and DoE celbrated their golden Wedding anniversary there ws also a Ball in the evening at Windsor Castle and the Service of Thanksging during the day took place at Westminster Abbey.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

They could do as Gabriella did, get married in Windsor but have an evening party at a London venue.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

London is a city of about 9 million inhabitants and one of the greatest cities of Europe. I'm sure that Beatrice and Edo could find a suitable wedding venue if they wanted to.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

I hope they marry in London and have a huge, swank party later in Italy...it would be perfect!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm hoping for another St. George's wedding both because it is such a beautiful church, and because it emphasizes that in a lot of ways St. George's is the Windor family's parish church. It wouldn't be so much shopping for the right venue, which seems like a very celebrity thing to do, but being at home, with family and 600 of their closest friends.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Hampton Court is a lovely venue. The most beautiful of all (former) royal residences in my opinion. Didn't Lord Frederick get married there?

Lots of room in the palace for a reception
Old 10-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, Lord Frederick was married there. Also Prince Pavlos and MC of Greece held their wedding reception there.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes, Lord Frederick was married there. Also Prince Pavlos and MC of Greece held their wedding reception there.
The chapel royal at Hampton Court is gorgeous and pretty large inside, it's royal providence is impressive too with Henry VIII himself marrying Catherine Parr there. Freddie Windsor married there in 2009 and had his reception in the great hall with official photos taken in the state apartments. He also moved onto a separate evening reception at Lady Annabel Goldsmith's mansion which was nearby. I don't know if it would be big enough for Beatrice though as it was reported that her sister had 850 guests at her wedding and St. George's only holds 800 so she really packed them in!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

St. Margaret's is a lovely chapel indeed; I visited with my church and thought it was a nice, intimate venue. It still had the official location of Westminster whilst retaining the small family vibe. I think it's quite a popular venue for christenings of wealthier or aristocratic children living in the area nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Hampton Court is a lovely venue. The most beautiful of all (former) royal residences in my opinion. Didn't Lord Frederick get married there?

Lots of room in the palace for a reception
Yes, they did
I agree that it would be a lovely venue and I know it's not as significant a palace nowadays for the BRF, but I still don't understand why it's not used more by them - for a more minor member of the family, it would be a perfect location; no shortage of space indeed! It would be nice if Beatrice and Edo were to marry or at least have their reception there, but I still think Windsor is the most likely bet for them.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
The chapel royal at Hampton Court is gorgeous and pretty large inside, it's royal providence is impressive too with Henry VIII himself marrying Catherine Parr there. Freddie Windsor married there in 2009 and had his reception in the great hall with official photos taken in the state apartments. He also moved onto a separate evening reception at Lady Annabel Goldsmith's mansion which was nearby. I don't know if it would be big enough for Beatrice though as it was reported that her sister had 850 guests at her wedding and St. George's only holds 800 so she really packed them in!
Wow...good information, thanks. I can't predict but I wouldn't be surprised if E and B invite more guests than Eugenie/Jack.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Beatrice spends even more time with celebs than Eugenie does so I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same amount of guests show up.

The chapel at Hampton Court does look extremely lush. A darker, more gothic vibe than St. George. I like it.

Closed Thread