The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Just to clear up the matter of cancelled -v- postponed - the existing plans have been cancelled - church, flowers, catering, travel, accommodation and all the other bookable things relating to a wedding. Postponement would mean moving everything temporarily to a known, later date.

Since it is impossible to know when and how weddings will be allowed to take place again under the current situation, it's best the cancel the whole thing and start again. That's not to say the wedding won't be exactly as it had been previously planned but Beatrice and Edoardo won't have a clue at the moment when they are likely to be able to be able to arrange things again.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:59 PM
Majesty

One thing I can say-is that if Edo and Beatrice are still together and determined to marry after this pandemic, it should shut up the naysayers.

No one will be able to call it a rushed courtship and marriage anymore.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-22-2020, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Marriages aren’t taking place in the UK currently, they can’t elope anywhere. Nor can they leave the U.K. to get married in any other country.

The law is stopping them right now.
Right. Brides and grooms everywhere have been faced with this upsetting problem. I was reading that some couples in the U.S. who fortunately already had their registry license were able to go ahead with small ceremonies, sometimes shared over Zoom or Facebook with relatives and friends.

Some couples have found creative ways to still get married, but many are unable to if they don't yet have a marriage license, and/or in many cases, no one to officiate, or directives disallowing them to marry or to have even small gatherings.

It's really a shame. The same goes for a lot of young people set to graduate this year and to attend proms. Neither are happening. Although some seniors may be able to graduate, there will be no large school ceremonies.

We don't know whether Bea & Edo already have their marriage license. But that doesn't matter if marriages have been banned altogether. There's nowhere for them to elope to, and certainly no one to officiate. While being married might not be all about the ceremony, such celebratory gatherings do have traditional meaning and resonance.

I hope Bea & Edo will be able to weather this passage and still have the wedding of their dreams. In the meantime, surely they are taking it in stride, counting their blessings and putting more focus on developing their bond and planning for their future without the public needing to know anything about the intimate details of their relationship. I wish them good luck.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just out of curiosity (as I don't know): Does the UK actually use "Marriage licenses" like in the US or is there a difference?
Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 AM
Courtier

Yes, the UK has marriage licences. However, if you're having a Church of England wedding, as Bea and Edo will be doing, the banns have to be called three times - i.e. the vicar has to say in church that X and Y plan to get married, so that anyone who knows that one of them's already got a spouse hiding away somewhere can shout up - and that takes the place of the licence.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Yes, the UK has marriage licences. However, if you're having a Church of England wedding, as Bea and Edo will be doing, the banns have to be called three times - i.e. the vicar has to say in church that X and Y plan to get married, so that anyone who knows that one of them's already got a spouse hiding away somewhere can shout up - and that takes the place of the licence.
A couple can use a common license for a religious wedding. If the couple don't have enough time before their wedding, for the banns to be read, they can use a license instead.

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/ar...mmon-licences/
Old 04-23-2020, 04:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It is also possible to marry by licence.. It has to be one or the other, banns which give notice to people that the couple are about to be married.. or a licence.. which gives permission. Then they have the ceremony.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:06 AM
Majesty

Great heavens, I thought Calling the Banns was obsolete. When I was a member of the Church junior Choir I remembered when the Banns were called and when the Vicar got to "Spinster in this Parish" we all snickered. I mean she was old, like 25 or 26.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Great heavens, I thought Calling the Banns was obsolete. When I was a member of the Church junior Choir I remembered when the Banns were called and when the Vicar got to "Spinster in this Parish" we all snickered. I mean she was old, like 25 or 26.
No its not obsolete aat all. Banns are called for weddings, though some people marry by common or special licence.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:31 PM
Nobility

I heard of a couple getting married by special license a few days ago because one of them was terminally ill and not expected to live until regular weddings were allowed, so they are allowed to be issued even at the moment, under very exceptional circumstances.

The Banns are still read in church and often the couple and some of their family will come once or twice to hear them read, even if they're not regular church goers. They're read in the church they will be married in, and the parish church(es) where they are from so three churches if necessary. Although "Spinster of the Parish" isn't used just " First Middle Last Name of this parish" or "of the Parish of St Mary's Town Name" for both.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a marriage by banns in the C of E in all cases. Couples are married by licence rather than banns if they're choosing a church that isn't a parish church (eg a royal peculiar or church/chapel that isn't a parish church). In some circumstances you can/must also be married by licence in a parish church.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
It doesn't have to be a marriage by banns in the C of E in all cases. Couples are married by licence rather than banns if they're choosing a church that isn't a parish church (eg a royal peculiar or church/chapel that isn't a parish church). In some circumstances you can/must also be married by licence in a parish church.
Yes I was married by common licence because I didn't attend my parish church, I went to a different one. which was actually nearer to me, and we were getting married there. But I think mostly people are married by banns..
Old 04-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Gentry

If things ease up, I wonder if they will have the "private" ceremony with just immediate relatives and have the reception later on.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
If things ease up, I wonder if they will have the "private" ceremony with just immediate relatives and have the reception later on.
Unlikely. I Don't think the lockdown will finish any time soon and so weddings will still be banned.. so they'll wait till next year, most likely and have a bigger wedding then.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

We are very soon May 29th, is it any news about the wedding? I presume it is postponed but no announcement yet.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
We are very soon May 29th, is it any news about the wedding? I presume it is postponed but no announcement yet.
The wedding was postponed a while ago, there's no date at the moment.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Nor is there likely to be. I suspect the wedding wont take place till next year and will be a quiet affair...
Old 05-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Majesty

I hope when the wedding is rescheduled for next year it will be again set for spring, with a garden party reception at Buckingham Palace.

It all sounded so lovely.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I hope when the wedding is rescheduled for next year it will be again set for spring, with a garden party reception at Buckingham Palace.

Mihgt be, might not. the weather in England is very uncertain. And It will be IMO a pretty quiet wedding..
Old 05-23-2020, 07:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Mihgt be, might not. the weather in England is very uncertain. And It will be IMO a pretty quiet wedding..
While I agree that Beatrice's wedding will be a smaller affair than her sister's, they'll still have a big ceremony and a big party (at least in normal people standards) - IF it will be allowed, because we can't say how the world is going to look whenever they decide to schedule their wedding - it'll just be completely private, with maybe official pictures released somewhere.

And honestly, it makes me so sad that the Andrew failure is being transmitted on Beatrice, who did absolutely nothing wrong. This negativity is completely unnecessary and, IMHO, completely misplaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

A garden party reception at BP sounds really, really amazing, I agree!