The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 05:47 AM
Courtier

Why wait? Because the PM has halted all weddings, baptisms and other religious/cultural/family ceremonies full stop, even small intimate affairs. There have been many people on social media and in the papers expressing how they wouldn't mind getting married in a small ceremony with just a vicar/registrar and witnesses now or asap because they just want to be married but it isn't allowed. And might not be for 6 months or more. And if the restrictions last 6 + months then they might as well wait the full year and have something of what they originally planned. And it's unlikely that they'd need to rush because they want to try and get pregnant asap in the current climate as well.

If it turned out there was an exception made for Beatrice and Edo for some reason or they used a hell of a lot of technicalities about Windsor, including being able to leave home for non emergency/essential reasons and meet people from different households, there would be absolute hell to pay.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Indeed, the issue is theoretical and quite simply Beatrice will postpone her wedding like everyone else.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:57 AM
Majesty

I think Beatrice's only concern now is the possibility that when she finally goes to the altar with Edoardo (let's suppose 28 May 2021) her grandparents may not be here anymore.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I’m not surprised that weddings as such are banned, but I find it hard to believe that marriages are. Isn’t marriage a basic human right?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-31-2020, 12:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I’m not surprised that weddings as such are banned, but I find it hard to believe that marriages are. Isn’t marriage a basic human right?
what is the difference? It is NOT possible to marry at present. the C of E did state about 10 days ago that they would still hold weddings/marriage ceremonies but it could only be 5 people the priest, the couple and 2 witnesses. Then it sadi that they would not hold them at all. In the present crisis, It is necessary to curb any kind of gatherings and most countries have a lot of restrcitions in place.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Well for the marriage ceremony you still need the registrar/vicar, witnesses, registry offices/churches with staff to remain open, people travelling and contact between households. The latter is something they've been pushing extremely hard as the reason for the lockdown.

I suspect if it goes on for too long there will be appeals to get married in small ceremonies with distancing in place but right now people are in emergency mode.

(.....)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I think Beatrice's only concern now is the possibility that when she finally goes to the altar with Edoardo (let's suppose 28 May 2021) her grandparents may not be here anymore.
That is exactly what I was thinking...particularly the Duke of Edinburgh, not so much HMQ.

Poor Beatrice.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-31-2020, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
what is the difference? It is NOT possible to marry at present. the C of E did state about 10 days ago that they would still hold weddings/marriage ceremonies but it could only be 5 people the priest, the couple and 2 witnesses. Then it sadi that they would not hold them at all. In the present crisis, It is necessary to curb any kind of gatherings and most countries have a lot of restrcitions in place.
And what about the registry office? Is that closed as well? I agree with Ladongas that there should be an option to get married for those that want to commit themselves to each other and start life together (not all couples are willing to live together before marriage). If grocery stores can remain open, it should be possible to organize a small marriage ceremony for those who don't want to wait until 'better times' (just like funerals won't wait - and the numbers even increase).
Old 03-31-2020, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And what about the registry office? Is that closed as well?
Yes, everything is closed. Funerals are the only ceremony allowed and then under heavy restrictions.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:37 PM
Courtier

All weddings are banned. Nobody "needs" to get married just now this minute, and there's no reason why registrars or religious ministers should be put at unnecessary risk. Being able to visit family and friends, and to go out generally, is also a basic human right, but human rights are effectively suspended because of circumstances beyond everyone's control. People aren't even allowed to visit dying relatives in hospital, which is a lot worse than not being able to get married. These are exceptional times.

(........)
Old 03-31-2020, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
All weddings are banned. Nobody "needs" to get married just now this minute, and there's no reason why registrars or religious ministers should be put at unnecessary risk. Being able to visit family and friends, and to go out generally, is also a basic human right, but human rights are effectively suspended because of circumstances beyond everyone's control. People aren't even allowed to visit dying relatives in hospital, which is a lot worse than not being able to get married. These are exceptional times.
I am personally not sure that it is the right decision that dying relatives cannot be visited by family members. It adds a lot of additional pain to both the dying and the relatives; and precautions are taken for medical personnel, so comparable precautions could be taken for the closest relatives.

Less pressing but still, I don't think it is the right thing to ban marriages for months (or even longer). It is not that hard to organize a marriage in a 'safe' way. Most couples will surely want to postpone but for the few who don't it should be possible to make exceptions - especially if the restrictions will apply much longer.

Quote:
I'm sure Beatrice and Edo are quite capable of using contraception for another few months, until they're able to marry, if they're thinking of starting a family soon. It's not the best of times to be planning to have a baby anyway, with this horrible virus about and medical staff rushed off their feet.
I agree that in Beatrice and Edo's case, they'll be fine; as they are already living together; so, the impact is smaller.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:41 PM
Majesty

It isn't that easy to organise weddings.. they need someone to register the marriage, either a religious celebrant or a registrar, the couple and 2 witnesses.. so that's five people. It will hopefully just be for a few months..
Old 03-31-2020, 04:06 PM
Majesty

If Princess Beatrice and Edoardo can get married in a few months, would the wedding location still be St. James's Chapel?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
If Princess Beatrice and Edoardo can get married in a few months, would the wedding location still be St. James's Chapel?
we don't know when they will get married. The wedding restrictions may be in place for longer than a few months.. but of course one hopes that things will change as soon as possible.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:43 PM
Courtier

I realise that weddings are off the agenda in the UK right now and I expect Beatrice will marry later in the year.

Off topic but I am surprised that disallowing a marriage is legal. Disallowing a gathering I can understand but a wedding only needs five people present, counting the celebrant.
Being married is an important legal status. I'm surprised that eloping is banned.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 PM
Majesty

yes the C of E was willing to marry people but limiting the number to 5 which was the absolute minimum ..then it was changed to no services at all.. except for funerals...Marriages cannot take place at present. Social events of more than 2 can't take place.
Elopment would involve travel and a wedding.. so its banned.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:10 PM
Courtier

They rushed through a Bill to make certain things legal for a limited amount of time. Currently having someone over to your house for non emergency reasons is illegal or at least against the rules.

Being legal is important to many people and there are some who have complained that they would love a 5 person wedding with social distancing in place right now but since we're currently in crisis mode it's not happening and it's certainly not happening as we go into this week of (expected) peak crisis.

Bea and Edo were already living and co-parenting together, if later on in the year some restrictions are lifted they may, along with many other people, find a smaller wedding is perfect right now with a bigger reception later, but as far as we know there's no reason why they *have* to get married asap.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
They rushed through a Bill to make certain things legal for a limited amount of time. Currently having someone over to your house for non emergency reasons is illegal or at least against the rules.

Being legal is important to many people and there are some who have complained that they would love a 5 person wedding with social distancing in place right now but since we're currently in crisis mode it's not happening and it's certainly not happening as we go into this week of (expected) peak crisis.

Bea and Edo were already living and co-parenting together, if later on in the year some restrictions are lifted they may, along with many other people, find a smaller wedding is perfect right now with a bigger reception later, but as far as we know there's no reason why they *have* to get married asap.
we don't know what they are going to do. All we know is that for the moment weddings cannot happen.. And probably Bea and Edo will end up waiting till next year unless an autumn wedding is possible.. who knows?
Old 04-01-2020, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Let's move on now please to the topic of the thread - thank you.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
As it is a royal peculiar I would guess there would be no trouble with securing it for a royal wedding regardless of when the wedding takes place.

Closed Thread