The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
But as long as Beatrice's grandmother, Uncle Charles and cousin William attend her wedding, the public will be paying for security.
We are at a point now where a great many taxpayers are fed up with what the royals are costing them. They don't mind so much with regards to the Queen, Charles and William but anything remotely connected to the Yorks is toxic. If she married at Windsor in the same fashion as Peter Phillips or Ella Windsor, ie with no members of the public brought into the walls of the castle to watch, it would not cost the taxpayer a penny more than the usual security costs which are always in place when the Queen is in residence. If there is a big showy London wedding however the media will have a field day pointing out that as this was the Yorks own personal choice then they should be meeting the additional security costs. They very well might but if they don't then it's just more awful publicity for the BRF.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
We are at a point now where a great many taxpayers are fed up with what the royals are costing them. They don't mind so much with regards to the Queen, Charles and William but anything remotely connected to the Yorks is toxic. If she married at Windsor in the same fashion as Peter Phillips or Ella Windsor, ie with no members of the public brought into the walls of the castle to watch, it would not cost the taxpayer a penny more than the usual security costs which are always in place when the Queen is in residence. If there is a big showy London wedding however the media will have a field day pointing out that as this was the Yorks own personal choice then they should be meeting the additional security costs. They very well might but if they don't then it's just more awful publicity for the BRF.
Who knows what the Yorks do next
But I think, like you proposed, a wedding with only guests and no public allowed would be the best, as it is not televised, even Andrew could walk her down and official pictures may only show the couple but not Andrew- a good solution for everyone, unless Bea wants a big thing.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

And if she wants a big wedding then she should have it. They would be wise of optics but honestly people going to rant regardless. Others will love all that comes with celebrating a day of love. They will do what’s best for them.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Beatrice should have the sort of wedding she wants but I highly doubt the public would stomach a wedding with the same sort of elements as Eugenie's (which will have made the public costs higher) such as a carriage rides, live tv coverage and close-by public crowds.

If Beatrice wants to marry somewhere as grand as Westminster Abbey of course she should be able to (got to have some perks to your grandmother being Queen) BUT doing so with carriage rides, live footage and big crowds will go down like a lead balloon with the public who have to pay for the security.

In fairness Beatrice seems a little shy to me, maybe I'm wrong, but given everything with Andrew I can't see her wanting to create unnecessary attention.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree. People are going to complain and make snide remarks whatever she does...her father..her mother...the groom...the groom's ex-fiancee and their child...her dress sense...her work ethic...the cost of monarchy vs.republic..

All will be used to beat this girl about the head even if she opts for a registry office with fish and chips take out for the reception.

This is her first and hopefully her only wedding. I say she should do whatever she wants.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-04-2020, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im a churchgoer and often hear banns being read.. Most people are married by banns.
In Roman Catholic churches the banns use to be read.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Banns of marriage are read in my church which is CofE; but of a higher level so many of our practices resemble Catholicism more than Protestantism (e.g. we have incense for special occasions such as Christmas and weddings), so I don't know if that makes a difference. There are different sectors of the Church of England from low to high church, and each does things slightly differently.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-04-2020, 05:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Banns of marriage are read in my church which is CofE; but of a higher level so many of our practices resemble Catholicism more than Protestantism (e.g. we have incense for special occasions such as Christmas and weddings), so I don't know if that makes a difference. There are different sectors of the Church of England from low to high church, and each does things slightly differently.
If a marriage is by Banns, then they have to be read in church.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If a marriage is by Banns, then they have to be read in church.
I was just expanding Cyril's comment as he mentioned about Catholic churches.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-04-2020, 05:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I cerianly hope Bea has enough sense to avoid a big showy London wedding. Her mother and father are unpopular as it is.. and it would look awful.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 PM
Courtier

There's the church at Parliament, which is near Westminster Abbey. Viscount Linley got married there.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thats St. Margaret's Westminster, no?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-04-2020, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, St Margaret's. It's effectively part of Westminster Abbey, personally if they are going down that route I suspect its a strong possibility.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/st-margarets-church
Old 02-04-2020, 07:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

The issue again being its not that large. It was discussed before Eugenie and I think even Harry weddings. It's smaller then the guard chapel which would be a tight fit for a wedding like she likely will have.

At this point outside WA which I don't think has a shot, the largest option in London is the guards chapel which is about 600.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 PM
Courtier

I know they're not popular but I've always liked them.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Yes, St Margaret's. It's effectively part of Westminster Abbey, personally if they are going down that route I suspect its a strong possibility.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/st-margarets-church

But security for St. Margaret's will be the same as for the Abbey!
So what would be accomplished by cramming everyone into the smaller church?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I don't see why it can't be televised. There's always interest in royal weddings. If people aren't interested, or object to its being on TV, they don't have to watch!
Well, the corporate entities who decide on these things may decide not to broadcast. It is not a fairy tale wedding situation.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But security for St. Margaret's will be the same as for the Abbey!
So what would be accomplished by cramming everyone into the smaller church?
It wouldn't be the same, the Abbey is much larger. So it would need much more personal to secure it, more resources to look for bombs etc. Not to mention an iconic location like the Abbey would be a better target, for a double-whammy incident.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Well, the corporate entities who decide on these things may decide not to broadcast. It is not a fairy tale wedding situation.
I think it is VERY much a fairy tale wedding..just as much as William/Kate and Harry/Meghan.

Beatrice is an underdog princess who has finally found her prince in a handsome and wealthy young Count.

It doesn't get more fairy tale than that, imo.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The issue again being its not that large. It was discussed before Eugenie and I think even Harry weddings. It's smaller then the guard chapel which would be a tight fit for a wedding like she likely will have.

At this point outside WA which I don't think has a shot, the largest option in London is the guards chapel which is about 600.
Beatrice might like an excuse to not invite her Dad's gun-runner pals and her mom's scented-candle cronies.

Closed Thread