The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 11:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
When did marriage banns stop being announced at the church where the wedding is to occur?
I don't know.

I have only been going to CoE churches since the 1960s and have never heard the banns being read. Most weekends the various churches have hosted multiple weddings but no banns ever read.

The main reason they were read was to allow people time to object but with modern media that isn't an issue.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't know.

I have only been going to CoE churches since the 1960s and have never heard the banns being read. Most weekends the various churches have hosted multiple weddings but no banns ever read.

The main reason they were read was to allow people time to object but with modern media that isn't an issue.

Marriage banns are definitely read in CofE churches. I married in 2012 and mine had to be read in the church we were marrying and the parish we lived in. They had to be read 3 times and you get a certificate. Registry offices list marriage x weeks before too.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't know.

Banns are read out in the CofE unless you are married by licence.

Here's the info about banns from the CofE:
https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/ar...ding-of-banns/

Common Licences:
https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/ar...mmon-licences/

Special Licences:
https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/ar...cial-licences/
Old 02-04-2020, 05:21 AM
Courtier

I don't see why it can't be televised. There's always interest in royal weddings. If people aren't interested, or object to its being on TV, they don't have to watch!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Marriage banns are definitely read in CofE churches. I married in 2012 and mine had to be read in the church we were marrying and the parish we lived in. They had to be read 3 times and you get a certificate. Registry offices list marriage x weeks before too.
Interesting

I have had friends ask for the banns to be read and been told - we don't do that anymore - in both the UK and Australia.

As I said I have only been going to CoE churches for the past 50 or so years and I have never heard any banns read.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Banns are read out in the CofE unless you are married by licence.

Here's the info about banns from the CofE:
https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/ar...ding-of-banns/

Common Licences:
https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/ar...mmon-licences/

Special Licences:
https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/ar...cial-licences/
Very interesting indeed, thanks.
Taken from the same website, see here
Reading of Banns
Most Church of England marriages will require banns to be published before the wedding can take place. You won’t need to arrange banns until about four months before your wedding date. Read more about what’s special and important about banns.

If there is not enough notice given for the banns to be read before the marriage is due to take place, or in the case of the marriage of people who are not nationals of a country within the European Economic Area, or if one or both of you does not live in England or Wales, it is recommended that the Licence procedure be used rather than banns.

And there is further information provided.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't know.

Im a churchgoer and often hear banns being read.. Most people are married by banns.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

According to the DM (yes I know but sometimes they get it right) the wedding will be May 29.
A reception at BP, but still no venue for the ceremony.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
According to the DM (yes I know but sometimes they get it right) the wedding will be May 29.
A reception at BP, but still no venue for the ceremony.
Wouldn't it be more usual to select the venue for the ceremony first?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Wouldn't it be more usual to select the venue for the ceremony first?
I'm sure they have...but if they are doing a private wedding they may not release much info at all..they sure haven't as of yet anyway!

LaRae
Old 02-04-2020, 10:34 AM
Courtier

If the Queen's said they can have the reception at Buckingham Palace, that is really kind and supportive of her. It's very hard luck for Beatrice that what should be a happy time for her is being affected by the goings-on with Prince Andrew, and also with Harry and Meghan.

There are all sorts of rumours flying around the internet! Beatrice has had to postpone the wedding because of everything else that's going on. The Palace wants the wedding to be a big deal as a show of royal unity. Believe what you will :-) . It's never spoken about, but there must have been plenty of words spoken behind the scenes over the decision not to ask either the Duke and Duchess of Windsor or Prince Philip's sisters to the Queen's wedding, so she'll know that wedding planning can be difficult.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
I've been married twice, decades apart but both times in Australia. On both occasions I married in a CofE service and both times the banns were read. We were there when they were read. And that was certainly since the 1960s!

However, as far as Beatrice and Edo are concerned I'd be very very surprised if, like other members of the BRF, they aren't going to be married by special licence.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Courtier

There used to be a prestige value to having a special licence, although that was presumably because most people couldn’t afford one. Mrs Bennet in Pride and Prejudice insisted that Elizabeth and Mr Darcy “must and should be married by special licence” – presumably to prove a point to everyone that her daughter had caught a very rich man with aristocratic connections. Either that or because she wanted the wedding ASAP in case he changed his mind. That idea's a bit outdated now :-) , but I'd still assume that Beatrice would be married by special licence.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Mrs Bennet in Pride and Prejudice insisted that Elizabeth and Mr Darcy “must and should be married by special licence” – presumably to prove a point to everyone that her daughter had caught a very rich man with aristocratic connections. Either that or because she wanted the wedding ASAP in case he changed his mind.
Very unlikely.
In those days a woman could break an engagement, but no gentleman could offer such an insult to a lady.

(It did happen, but a man like Darcy wouldn't do so).
Mrs. Bennet just wanted to show off.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
You'd have to ask the Queen why...if Andrew is to be believed, he pretty much said in that interview the Queen determined where Eugenie married.

LaRae
in the present circumstances a big showy wedding would look awful.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
If the public is not paying for it, it can and should be as grand as the bride and groom want it to be.

I see no reason whatsoever why it cannot be at WA. Beatrice is a born Royal princess, the granddaughter of a reigning queen.
My sentiments exactly. I do completely understand the perception factor and that so much is about how it will be perceived regardless of the actual facts behind who is paying, why things are handled a certain way, etc. but the fact remains that Bea and Edo should not be made to pay for the mistakes of her father and as both the granddaughter of the reigning monarch and the oldest royal princess of her generation a wedding at the Abbey would actually be highly appropriate. If they were to forgo the carriage procession, balcony appearance, etc. then the level of show and grandeur would be reduced to an acceptable level and, frankly, it would be a lovely gesture of support for Bea from the Queen given how difficult and overshadowed this has all been for her through no fault of her own.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:53 PM
Courtier

The government in 1947 said that people wouldn't want the Queen and Prince Philip to have a big wedding, because of post-war austerity. They couldn't have been more wrong. OK, this is different, but there's no ill-will towards Beatrice, and people would have no right to complain about anything if the public weren't paying.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Bea should have the wedding she wants. People will always complain regardless.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

I'm going to say something that might sound harsh but I'm just trying to be realistic. I think whatever Bea & Edo choose, they need it to be something that requires minimal security because it's the British taxpayer who pays for it. There was grumbling over Eugenie's but this time it would be far more. This isn't against Bea, it's about her father. Think of how it looks: he's a man who stated publicly that he doesn't regret his friendship with a sex offender because it was useful to him personally. His own daughters weren't groomed, abused or trafficked because they were protected and privileged but he showed no empathy or concern for other people's daughters who were victims of his 'useful' friend.

As far as I'm concerned, Bea should have whatever kind of wedding she wants as long as I'm not paying for it and I'm not willing to pay for the security either. Prince Andrew should pay for it. He owns a £13 million Chalet for starters so he can afford it. If the British taxpayer is expected to stump up while he's sitting on a fortune, there will be more than grumbles.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I'm going to say something that might sound harsh but I'm just trying to be realistic. I think whatever Bea & Edo choose, they need it to be something that requires minimal security because it's the British taxpayer who pays for it. There was grumbling over Eugenie's but this time it would be far more. This isn't against Bea, it's about her father. Think of how it looks: he's a man who stated publicly that he doesn't regret his friendship with a sex offender because it was useful to him personally. His own daughters weren't groomed, abused or trafficked because they were protected and privileged but he showed no empathy or concern for other people's daughters who were victims of his 'useful' friend.

As far as I'm concerned, Bea should have whatever kind of wedding she wants as long as I'm not paying for it and I'm not willing to pay for the security either. Prince Andrew should pay for it. He owns a £13 million Chalet for starters so he can afford it. If the British taxpayer is expected to stump up while he's sitting on a fortune, there will be more than grumbles.
But as long as Beatrice's grandmother, Uncle Charles and cousin William attend her wedding, the public will be paying for security.

Closed Thread