The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
You don't invite an ex to your wedding unless you have a child with that person, and the child is invited. If you're not in a relationship with that person anymore, even if you're still friends, I think it's in poor taste to ask them to watch you marry someone else, even if you split years before. There's just something very tacky about it.
You might want to tell William, Harry and most of their friends that; add to that also Willem-Alexander (who invited Emily Bremers his girlfriend before Máxima; the two of them also attended her wedding) and many other royals it seems.

Only the Swedes seem not to have invited their exes (of many years); clearly there was 'bad blood' between Jonas and Madeleine and many seemed to think that Sofia considered Emma as a threat, so didn't want her around; not only at her own wedding but neither at important life events of Madeleine.

So, it seems to depend on the social circle, on whether the split was amicable and/or whether the ex might be perceived as a threat.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Perhaps there is the thinking even that the split between Beatrice and Dave is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If they hadn't split, Beatrice wouldn't have found the relationship she now has with Edo.

Its all good.

I shall always think that Dave Clark treated Beatrice very poorly.

It's her decision, of course, but Dave is toxic and I wouldn't think she'd want him in her life, even if she has come to think their split was for the best.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

We all know it's very common for exes in these social circles to attend. Chelsy and Cress were at Harrys. Plenty of exes at the Cambridge wedding.

Bit that is because they tend to remain friends, and move in the same social circles after breaking up. And remain on good terms.

Beatrice and Dave don't seem to be in the same boat. I don't think their break was too amicable. Nor does Dave seem to be still in the social circle.

Ex spouses and fiances are in a different category all together. The only reason Edo's ex may attend, and I mean may, is for their son. If they feel Wolfie may need her there at the wedding. Yes she will always be in their lives due to Wolfie, but that doesn't mean she will automatically gain an invite either.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

ITV have confirmed that they will not broadcast Beatrice's wedding. Since they were the only channel who bothered to broadcast Eugenie's I guess it's definate now that we won't get to see this one.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
ITV have confirmed that they will not broadcast Beatrice's wedding. Since they were the only channel who bothered to broadcast Eugenie's I guess it's definate now that we won't get to see this one.
Hardly surprising in the circumstances.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
You might want to tell William, Harry and most of their friends that; add to that also Willem-Alexander (who invited Emily Bremers his girlfriend before Máxima; the two of them also attended her wedding) and many other royals it seems.

Only the Swedes seem not to have invited their exes (of many years); clearly there was 'bad blood' between Jonas and Madeleine and many seemed to think that Sofia considered Emma as a threat, so didn't want her around; not only at her own wedding but neither at important life events of Madeleine.

So, it seems to depend on the social circle, on whether the split was amicable and/or whether the ex might be perceived as a threat.
I'm glad that William and Harry remained friends with their ex-girlfriends. Civility is always to be commended. I still think it's tacky to invite exes to your wedding, no matter how well you get on with them. Obviously, if you have a child or children with them, that's different. Also, why would Sofia think Carl Philip's ex-girlfriend was a threat? Did she think Emma was going to sneak into their house and jump out of the closet with a butcher knife? Lounge seductively on the bed wearing lingerie? Put rat poison in the champagne? That's soap opera nonsense. The only time an ex-partner is a threat to the new partner is when they're violent, and that violence is why the relationship ended.

Quote:
ITV have confirmed that they will not broadcast Beatrice's wedding. Since they were the only channel who bothered to broadcast Eugenie's I guess it's definite now that we won't get to see this one.
Can't say I'm surprised, really. I don't live in the UK, so I don't have an ear to the door, as the expression goes. Are the York princesses all that interesting or popular to people? William and Harry have the benefit of being sons of the future king, to say nothing of the attachment people continue to have to their late mother, so that explains in part, their popularity, especially here in the US. Beatrice and Eugenie, as lovely as they are, don't have that.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 01-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm glad that William and Harry remained friends with their ex-girlfriends. Civility is always to be commended. I still think it's tacky to invite exes to your wedding, no matter how well you get on with them. Obviously, if you have a child or children with them, that's different. Also, why would Sofia think Carl Philip's ex-girlfriend was a threat? Did she think Emma was going to sneak into their house and jump out of the closet with a butcher knife? Lounge seductively on the bed wearing lingerie? Put rat poison in the champagne? That's soap opera nonsense. The only time an ex-partner is a threat to the new partner is when they're violent, and that violence is why the relationship ended.

Can't say I'm surprised, really. I don't live in the UK, so I don't have an ear to the door, as the expression goes. Are the York princesses all that interesting or popular to people? William and Harry have the benefit of being sons of the future king, to say nothing of the attachment people continue to have to their late mother, so that explains in part, their popularity, especially here in the US. Beatrice and Eugenie, as lovely as they are, don't have that.
Well the circumstances regarding Beatrice and Eugenie were the same when Eugenie got married and that's why Andrew had to practically beg for a news channel to broadcast the wedding. I thought he and Sarah looked rather smug that by sheer persistance they had managed to secure a wedding for E that really didn't reflect her junior position in the family. They probably presumed that B's wedding would be identical when the time came and it's very possible that ITV would have stepped in again if recent events hadn't happened.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Royal Highness

I loved seeing Eugenie's wedding. As the Queen's granddaughter I think she had the wedding she wanted and I don't see her or sister as lesser they are royal princesses.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Logical. A quiet, "private" wedding Peter's style is the best for everyone concerned.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
I loved seeing Eugenie's wedding. As the Queen's granddaughter I think she had the wedding she wanted and I don't see her or sister as lesser they are royal princesses.
Yes but very far down the line of succession and most people in the UK wouldn't even know who they were if shown a picture of them, thus the lack of intetest in the wedding from the BBC etc.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:28 AM
Majesty

A first week of January has passed and still no wedding date.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
A first week of January has passed and still no wedding date.
I don't know if they should make any announcements in relation to the wedding at all. If I was in the shoes of Beatrice, I would put out an announcement following the wedding, with a few select pictures.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The decision is understandable indeed but a great pity for us royalty watchers. I was looking forward to seeing the wedding as Princess Beatrice seems to have some connections to some mainland European royals and nobles, so that would have been interesting as well. Considering the circumstances I fear that we will only see a picture of the bridal couple and that is that.

In the Netherlands all four weddings of the Van Vollenhoven princes were broadcasted. They are in a simular position as Beatrice and Eugenie. Thus I did not find the decision to broadcast Eugenie's wedding very strange, the only strange thing was that it was not done by the public broadcaster.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
a wedding for E that really didn't reflect her junior position in the family.
As was discussed when Princess Eugenie married, the weddings of some of Queen Elizabeth's cousins (who are in the same junior position) were broadcast, and all at least received coverage of the guest arrivals.

Quote:
Unless the family chooses to release footage, I suppose. It would be nice if the order of service would be released, even if there is no footage.

Is there a link to the confirmation?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
In the Netherlands all four weddings of the Van Vollenhoven princes were broadcasted. They are in a simular position as Beatrice and Eugenie. Thus I did not find the decision to broadcast Eugenie's wedding very strange, the only strange thing was that it was not done by the public broadcaster.
I would say they were in a similar position as David (then) Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones - children of the sister of the reigning Queen, not her direct descendants (as Beatrice and Eugenie - granddaughters of the reigning Queen)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I would say they were in a similar position as David (then) Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones - children of the sister of the reigning Queen, not her direct descendants (as Beatrice and Eugenie - granddaughters of the reigning Queen)
I'm not sure that is a significant difference. The Orange-Nassau Van Vollenhoven princes were originally children of a daughter of the reigning Queen, were subsequently the children of a sister of the reigning Queen, and are presently the children of an aunt of the reigning King. Provided that the heirs in direct line have children of their own (which is the case in the Netherlands and Britain), royals in the position of the York princesses and Orange-Nassau Van Vollenhoven princes will predictably become children of the sibling of the monarch and then children of the aunt or uncle of the monarch, in the same way that a royal in George of Cambridge's position will predictably become the grandchild of the monarch, the child of the monarch, and finally the monarch.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Majesty

I had in mind their position during their weddings.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Considering that Charles has talked about streamlining the monarchy when he becomes King, this could be a portent of things to come. William's children will have televised weddings, but Harry's children might not. I doubt either Lady Louise or Viscount Severn will have televised weddings, and after Beatrice marries, they're the last unmarried grandchildren. Peter and Zara Philips certainly didn't have televised weddings, even though they're just as royal as Beatrice and Eugenie are.

I understand why people like us enjoy watching them, we get to gossip about the dresses and tiaras and guest lists...but I think we're an increasingly shrinking minority. I don't think the UK will suddenly become a republic, but if other European monarchies can cut down on the number of people considered members of the royal house, and thus entitled to all the panoply that brings with it, so can they.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 01-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Considering that Charles has talked about streamlining the monarchy when he becomes King, this could be a portent of things to come. William's children will have televised weddings, but Harry's children might not. I doubt either Lady Louise or Viscount Severn will have televised weddings, and after Beatrice marries, they're the last unmarried grandchildren. Peter and Zara Philips certainly didn't have televised weddings, even though they're just as royal as Beatrice and Eugenie are.
Actually, they aren't royal at all. They may have the same degree of relation to the Queen as Beatrice and Eugenie but they aren't members of the Royal Family according to their mother.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Actually, they aren't royal at all. They may have the same degree of relation to the Queen as Beatrice and Eugenie but they aren't members of the Royal Family according to their mother.
Actually, there's a difference between the Royal House and the Royal Family. As grandchildren of the sovereign in the female line, Peter and Zara are members of the royal family, but not the royal house. They're invited to all formal events like weddings, funerals, Trooping the Colour, etc., and they'll no doubt be invited to Charles's coronation one day, but they don't undertake any official duties, and they don't receive an allowance from the Privy Purse. That sets them apart from William, Harry, and their wives.

My point was that, like Beatrice and Eugenie, they have one royal and non-royal parent. They're coming from a similar position — grandchildren of the sovereign. As I also pointed out, Lady Louise and Viscount Severn, grandchildren of the sovereign as well, probably won't have televised weddings either, not because they aren't members of the Royal House (they are), but because outside of people like us who post on message boards like these, who really cares?