Andrew's future outside of the working BRF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the major British newspapers, including the Times and the Telegraph, recently published a statement (MailOnline link) sent to them by a palace source:

"Clearly at some point soon, thought will have to be given as to how to support the Duke as, away from the public gaze, he seeks slowly to rebuild his life in a different direction. There is, of course, a real awareness and sensitivity to public feelings. There is also recognition that the task of starting to support him as he begins to rebuild his life will be the first step on a long road and one that should not be played out every day in the glare of the public spotlight."​

While there have been some sensationalistic headlines about the Duke of York campaigning to or being permitted to return to public life, the statement itself strikes me as being so full of ambiguity that I am not sure what the point of it is. What exactly is the "different direction" in which the Duke will rebuild his life, and what "support" does he from the palace to achieve it?

But the presence or the absence of a conviction in court isn't the sole standard of suitability for representatives of the monarchy and the society. The Princess Royal was convicted in 2002 for a bite inflicted by her dog, but polls indicate that the majority of Britons are happy for her to act as their national representative, because of her other, more admirable qualities and hard work.

I am not sure the Duke of York is seeking forgiveness or considers himself a sinner. If I recall correctly, the only sin for which he has apologized, and then only after huge public backlash, was his poor judgment in continuing his association with Jeffrey Epstein for so long.

I don't think he's sorry at all about his friendship with Epstein and Maxwell and the sleazy life he was leading with them. He told Emily Maitlis straight out that he didn't regret it. It's also not completely about whether the Queen wants him out doing public duties either, no charity or military organization wants him representing them so he has no public life to return to now. He can't just impose himself on the Grenadiers or anyone else.

And the queen is not anything like the Pope. She is a secular head of the C of E

My gut tells me that if Prince Charles and Prince William have anything to do with it, Andrew will never represent the monarchy in any capacity again. In fact, I might go so far to say that they will keep him out of the "royal spotlight" by all means necessary. I really do not think that there is no coming back from this for Andrew.

Also, Anne's dog biting someone and her brothers being friends with the world's most notorious pedophile are not even in the same stratosphere.

My gut tells me that if Prince Charles and Prince William have anything to do with it, Andrew will never represent the monarchy in any capacity again. In fact, I might go so far to say that they will keep him out of the "royal spotlight" by all means necessary. I really do not think that there is no coming back from this for Andrew.

Also, Anne's dog biting someone and her brothers being friends with the world's most notorious pedophile are not even in the same stratosphere.

of course not, but Anne' was breaking the law... in having a dog under poor control.
but I dont think it really needs to be said that Charles and Willm will keep Andrew from any public stuff, other than going to church. But the queen is very old and has led a more sheltered life and she clealry finds it hard to understand or believe that And's behaviour is going to mean that he can never ever come back from it...

Yet if the policy of (only) excluding working members who have criminal convictions were adopted, Anne would have been removed from public duties and Andrew would have retained them. I stand by my argument that that hypothetical policy would not be a wise (or popular) course to take.

Andrew's decision to do the TV interview, and his obvious inability to understand that his behavior and words during the said interview were poor, is what has damned him to his brother and nephew. Andrew allegedly told the Queen that the interview went extremely well and would exonerate him. I think that destroyed Charles and William's trust in him. I think that's why his settlement did nothing to change his status.

Andrew's biggest draw as a royal was his service in the Falklands, but that doesn't carry weight with the majority of the public anymore, and the tone of the media today.

As to the support that the family gives him now, I would guess that he will continue to have access to royal properties, and will be present at large, semi-private family events. He will participate publicly in his mother's funeral during the vigil of the princes. In essence, his status quo will be that he is retired, not banned. And he may be given some sort of private allowance. But, short of him personally rescuing a group of children from drowning on national television, I just don't see his worth growing enough to outweigh his trust issues with the next two Kings.

I think his value to the monarchy was diminishing before Ms. Guiffre's accusations, so the royals have found that they can function quite fine without him. Due to other circumstances, the working royals cannot cover the appointments and patronages they once did, so losing out on Andrew's assistance in that area isn't the loss it would have been 30 years ago.

well Andrew was quite a busy royal, who idd a lot of engagements. had things been normal, his sudden disappearnace would have left a hole but with Covid, that mattered less

I wonder if Charles, William, and their advisors have looked at how the royal family handled the Duke of Windsor as they consider what to do with Andrew (and Harry, for that matter). He came back for some funerals and memorials, but he didn't attend coronations or other big family events. I've read that he had inheritances and an allowance.

His exile wasn't without headaches -- association with Hitler, some problems in the Bahamas, media attention -- but the way the royal family handled him, he was never a threat to their stability, at least not after the war.

There might be some lessons there for them to revisit.

Most of the major British newspapers, including the Times and the Telegraph, recently published a statement (MailOnline link) sent to them by a palace source:

"Clearly at some point soon, thought will have to be given as to how to support the Duke as, away from the public gaze, he seeks slowly to rebuild his life in a different direction. There is, of course, a real awareness and sensitivity to public feelings. There is also recognition that the task of starting to support him as he begins to rebuild his life will be the first step on a long road and one that should not be played out every day in the glare of the public spotlight."​

While there have been some sensationalistic headlines about the Duke of York campaigning to or being permitted to return to public life, the statement itself strikes me as being so full of ambiguity that I am not sure what the point of it is. What exactly is the "different direction" in which the Duke will rebuild his life, and what "support" does he from the palace to achieve it?

Based on the statement, I would assume that the "different direction" indicates that it is totally outside The Firm. If we look at the media coverage of him the last several months, Andrew has been doing absolutely nothing. He has made the odd personal appearance at family events, but otherwise nothing. For a man of his background, doing nothing is very likely something that is intolerable. He wants to be useful, he wants to have some value in life. He is only 62 and appears to be in good health. He still wants to make a difference. Maybe he is looking to work in the private sector, doing work outside the public view. Then, who knows? This might be the opportunity he needs to rehabilitate his image in the public arena, and possibly return to official duties in the distant future. This rehabilitation would be impossible in the current media spotlight that is now on him.
As far as support from the palace, maybe it is financial support until such time as his intended direction becomes viable? But at the very least, emotional support and encouragement in his endeavor to return to a fulfilling life. JMHO.

I dont see that he would be acceptable in hte private sector either. He could manage some of the family property but he might need soem training for that.

I think Andrew could be appointed Ranger of the Balmoral Estate, and provided a nice house on the estate to live in.

I understand the Charles doesn't want to relinquish these duties to family - it was asked about Windsor and Sandringham. He wants to hire trained people and head it himself. But maybe he can be persuaded.

I understand the Charles doesn't want to relinquish these duties to family - it was asked about Windsor and Sandringham. He wants to hire trained people and head it himself. But maybe he can be persuaded.

I was not suggesting Sandringham and Windsor. Charles has already started to implement his plan to convert Sandringham into an organic farm. He also has plans to rear cattle for high quality Sandringham beef, so I do think he will keep the management of Sandringham to himself.

Balmoral is a different kettle of fish. Appoinbting Andrew to manage it delegates some of the responsibility from Charles' perspective, but he will also be keeping a close eye on it as he is the boss. It also gives Andrew something to do.

Stupid question but why would Andrew need something to do? I don't know a lot about him but isn't he rich ? I assume he inherited some wealth from his father and he will surely inherit money from the queen as well?
That would certainly be enough to live quietly in a cottage somewhere

I was not suggesting Sandringham and Windsor. Charles has already started to implement his plan to convert Sandringham into an organic farm. He also has plans to rear cattle for high quality Sandringham beef, so I do think he will keep the management of Sandringham to himself.

Balmoral is a different kettle of fish. Appoinbting Andrew to manage it delegates some of the responsibility from Charles' perspective, but he will also be keeping a close eye on it as he is the boss. It also gives Andrew something to do.

I think it is a good idea - but essentially does Andrew even want to do it? Yes - Andrew doesn't have to do anything. He can sit back for the rest of his life and if that is what he wants to do then who can cry about it.
But if I was in his shoes I would want to do something at least. What about been a military attaché or assist in the royal household? Voluntary work, there is lot he can do, without informing the press. He is not without means and ability. He can still lead a productive and meaningful life. And essentially it is Andrew that will need to define that.

I think it is a good idea - but essentially does Andrew even want to do it? Yes - Andrew doesn't have to do anything. He can sit back for the rest of his life and if that is what he wants to do then who can cry about it.
But if I was in his shoes I would want to do something at least. What about been a military attaché or assist in the royal household? Voluntary work, there is lot he can do, without informing the press. He is not without means and ability. He can still lead a productive and meaningful life. And essentially it is Andrew that will need to define that.

I don't think a government role like a military attache is somehting that can be considered.

Stupid question but why would Andrew need something to do? I don't know a lot about him but isn't he rich ? I assume he inherited some wealth from his father and he will surely inherit money from the queen as well?
That would certainly be enough to live quietly in a cottage somewhere

why would he want to live quietly ina cottage? HE's had his job taken away from him, while he's still only 60 and in good health. He is not ready for the rocking chair yet and he is probalby not that well off these days owing to his various problems

no way. He would not be acceptable for any kind of voluntary work, or military work. and I doubt if he has the abiliites for working in the royal household. Andrew is arrogant and not very bright.. and he would not take guidance or any kind of servile role

why would he want to live quietly ina cottage? HE's had his job taken away from him, while he's still only 60 and in good health. He is not ready for the rocking chair yet and he is probalby not that well off these days owing to his various problems

Charles would be gardening and paint and would be very happy as a pensioner. So why can't Andrew?

Charles would be gardening and paint and would be very happy as a pensioner. So why can't Andrew?

For one thing they are different people. However i dont think that Charles would be happy wiht his painting and gardening even now. He is a workaholic. and as for Andrew, in losing his work he has lost a lot of status. Im sure he feels that.

I agree that losing his status would be hard for him. I don't think he's had a subservient, unseen role for decades and he won't know what else to do with himself now.

I can't see him being interested in estate management (even if he could be trained to do it). I suspect he will continue to seek high profile, public-facing engagements and Charles (with William) will keep blocking him.

I agree that losing his status would be hard for him. I don't think he's had a subservient, unseen role for decades and he won't know what else to do with himself now.

I can't see him being interested in estate management (even if he could be trained to do it). I suspect he will continue to seek high profile, public-facing engagements and Charles (with William) will keep blocking him.

Some years ago it was actually William who had training in the areas of forestry, livestock management, arable farming etc. Perhaps Charles sees William taking on some sort of role in the management of the Windsor estate.

As far as I know, Andrew has no training or experience in the business of agriculture. With Charles as King, any senior management role on the estates will have to contend with Charles's enthusiasm for non-GMO organic farming balanced with the need for the estates to make money. Princess Anne has spoken out in favor of GMO crops in the past. She is a knowledgeable landowner who needs her estate to make money. Andrew has never had to consider these matters before.

This may seem a frivolous or tongue-in-cheek suggestion, but running a golf course might be an enjoyable and suitable berth for Andrew. Manicured fairways and various pest control methods are not looked upon favorably by Charles, but he can't eliminate every golf course in the UK.

Last edited:
This may seem a frivolous or tongue-in-cheek suggestion, but running a golf course might be an enjoyable and suitable berth for Andrew.

It's an interesting and amusing suggestion but he'd be employed by the owner(s) and I don't think he'd want that secondary position. He'd see a role like 'golf club manager' as way beneath him. I think he'd consider company directorships but who would want his name on their board?

Charities don't want him, the military doesn't want him, the crown doesn't want him and the government doesn't want him. He scuppered all his chances when he said on TV that he didn't regret his friendship with a convicted sex offender. I don't think he can ever undo that.

For one thing they are different people. However i dont think that Charles would be happy wiht his painting and gardening even now. He is a workaholic. and as for Andrew, in losing his work he has lost a lot of status. Im sure he feels that.

Yes, that. Makes me wonder if Andrew does understand that he himself forced the Royal family to distance from him, that all the shenanigans with Sarah, his own shady business deals etc. lay the basis for his absolute shame of being caught as a friend of a pedophile and accused bedpartner of a quite young girl. I'm not sure that accusation alone would have led to that effect but his friendship with Epstein was one in a long line of not so pleasant friendships, what with oligarchs or some Arabic princes with bad reputation. I am not able to decide if Andrew actively sought these shady relationships, if Sarah's endless search for easy money got him into that or if he simply didn't care about what some advisors may have told him about these people because he was a Prince and thus untouchable. Anyway, it led to where he is now but looking back, you cannot say that he doesn't deserve to stand outside now, the love of his mother not withstanding.

Quite right.

Some years ago it was actually William who had training in the areas of forestry, livestock management, arable farming etc. Perhaps Charles sees William taking on some sort of role in the management of the Windsor estate.

As far as I know, Andrew has no training or experience in the business of agriculture. With Charles as King, any senior management role on the estates will have to contend with Charles's enthusiasm for non-GMO organic farming balanced with the need for the estates to make money. Princess Anne has spoken out in favor of GMO crops in the past. She is a knowledgeable landowner who needs her estate to make money. Andrew has never had to consider these matters before.

This may seem a frivolous or tongue-in-cheek suggestion, but running a golf course might be an enjoyable and suitable berth for Andrew. Manicured fairways and various pest control methods are not looked upon favorably by Charles, but he can't eliminate every golf course in the UK.

William did indeed do a course in land management at Cambridge, but that was really to prepare him for the role of Duke of Cornwall. the Duchy has vast hoding of land, and whilst it is run by professionals, it is important for the Duke of the day to understand the underlying issues that the Duchy might face, so as to provide some direction to the team running the business.

Yes, that. Makes me wonder if Andrew does understand that he himself forced the Royal family to distance from him, that all the shenanigans with Sarah, his own shady business deals etc. lay the basis for his absolute shame of being caught as a friend of a pedophile and accused bedpartner of a quite young girl. I'm not sure that accusation alone would have led to that effect but his friendship with Epstein was one in a long line of not so pleasant friendships, what with oligarchs or some Arabic princes with bad reputation. I am not able to decide if Andrew actively sought these shady relationships, if Sarah's endless search for easy money got him into that or if he simply didn't care about what some advisors may have told him about these people because he was a Prince and thus untouchable. Anyway, it led to where he is now but looking back, you cannot say that he doesn't deserve to stand outside now, the love of his mother not withstanding.

Andrew just seems to have consistently poor judgment. The Epstein issue alone blew up because of a series of bad decisions on his part. That’s setting aside other issues. Maybe it’s partially due to arrogance. IDK. But he just didn’t seem to learn from past mistakes.

The current situation must be difficult for him though. What exactly can he- realistically- do now? I more than get his desire to do more than ride horses at Windsor and whatever other hobbies he enjoys. Especially when he was raised around workaholics and was used to being busy with set schedules himself. (Not to mention watching everyone else carry on without him.)

Being forcibly retired at a young age would be difficult. Even people who choose to retire often struggle with what to do with their time. And they haven’t been publicly ostracized.

But- this situation was self created on his part.

There's plenty he could do if he didn't consider most work beneath him. I'm sure there's a vast amount to do on the Windsor Estate from painting & decorating to gardening to hedge trimming etc. Indoor jobs might include helping with the Windsor archives (I bet there's loads of stuff to catalogue) or working in the stables. He's unlikely to do anything like that though so I don't feel sorry for him at all.

There's plenty he could do if he didn't consider most work beneath him. I'm sure there's a vast amount to do on the Windsor Estate from painting & decorating to gardening to hedge trimming etc. Indoor jobs might include helping with the Windsor archives (I bet there's loads of stuff to catalogue) or working in the stables. He's unlikely to do anything like that though so I don't feel sorry for him at all.
Lovely to read :lol:but i don't think we will ever see him doing these things !

really?? i simply cant see him doig anyting like this even if he had an aptitude for it, which I dont htink he does

Back
Top Bottom