The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2021, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I expect that one of the first things that Charles will do as king is to order his brother to move a long way away and keep a low profile, like the similarly disgraced Duke of Windsor had to do.
There is absolutely no reason for Charles, as king, to do anything further concerning Andrew. The decisions made already will remain in place and Andrew will continue to live out his life at Royal Lodge.

The situations of the two royal Dukes is totally different. One abdicated the throne and the other behaved badly in his private life. One caused a constitutional crisis. The other caused a fall from grace and respect due to his own actions and words. You really cannot compare the two.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

As Osipi said, the two situations are completely different. The Duke of Windsor had to leave as otherwise it would have seemed as if there were two kings in one kingdom. Monarchs who abdicate almost always go into exile. Royals who've behaved badly don't. Andrew's keeping a low profile as it is. It's not his fault that the Times appears to find it necessary to put a picture of him driving his car on the front page of today's edition. If the press really want to print those pictures, they'll take them wherever he is ... and, surely, they'll lose interest in a while, when they realise that no-one really wants to see them.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
As Osipi said, the two situations are completely different. The Duke of Windsor had to leave as otherwise it would have seemed as if there were two kings in one kingdom. Monarchs who abdicate almost always go into exile. Royals who've behaved badly don't. Andrew's keeping a low profile as it is. It's not his fault that the Times appears to find it necessary to put a picture of him driving his car on the front page of today's edition. If the press really want to print those pictures, they'll take them wherever he is ... and, surely, they'll lose interest in a while, when they realise that no-one really wants to see them.
That's a rather general statement. Especially since in the last century many monarch abdicated due to old age to make room for the younger generation. In that case there is no reason at all to go into exile. And even Juan Carlos who abdicated because of age but also 'encouraged' by the issues surrounding him only left Spain last year and not after abdication.

Which other monarchs were you thinking of specifically who abdicated and went into exile other than the later Duke of Windsor (in whose case it made perfect sense)? I assume you are referring to cases where abdication was 'necessary' to save the monarchy?! Not cases such as grandduchess Charlotte and grandduke Jean of Luxembourg, the last three queens of the Netherlands, the emeritus pope or emperor of Japan, etc..
Old 10-12-2021, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I assume Alison H was referring to British monarchs, though I would agree that looking to other current monarchies in democratic countries would provide more suitable comparisons than dethroned English monarchs from centuries ago (when was the last British abdication prior to 1936?).
Old 10-12-2021, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I assume Alison H was referring to British monarchs, though I would agree that looking to other current monarchies in democratic countries would provide more suitable comparisons than dethroned English monarchs from centuries ago (when was the last British abdication prior to 1936?).
I think that would be Richard II and Mary Queen of Scots who forced to abdicate in 1399 and 1567 respectively.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

Sorry, I wasn't thinking of monarchs who'd abdicated due to old age, which I'd think of more as retiring although, yes, of course that's abdicating too. I was thinking of monarchs who'd abdicated in circumstances of scandal or regime change and needed to be "got out of the way" because they were causing some sort of embarrassment.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Sorry, I wasn't thinking of monarchs who'd abdicated due to old age, which I'd think of more as retiring although, yes, of course that's abdicating too. I was thinking of monarchs who'd abdicated in circumstances of scandal or regime change and needed to be "got out of the way" because they were causing some sort of embarrassment.
I think that in the DOW's case, it was pretty much impossible for him to live in the UK because he was trying to interfere, and didn't seem to realise that in giivng up the throne it meant he wasn't king any more. With Juan Carlos he has been living abroad too because of embarrassment over his financial dealings and I think that it is easier for all concerned if he is not in Spain most of the time.