The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2021, 02:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My reasoning about Royal Lodge is that I think it is easier to hide him somewhere away from London and the press. I don't think they want pictures of him on the tabloids ever other day.
First of all, Andrew doesn't need to "hide" any more than he should wear sackcloths and ashes forevermore. Where he resides at Royal Lodge, is housed in Windsor Great Park and is also owned by the Crown Estate. Not all areas of Windsor Great Park are accessible to the public and security is pretty well known as being top notch. Access to getting those shots of Andrew for the tabloids are pretty slim these days.

Once again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:28 AM
Majesty

90% of what photos of Andrew the tabloids show nowadays are of him driving his car near his home or long shots of him horse riding in Windsor Great Park with or without his mother.

They are of minimal interest to most readers and personally I wonder why the tabloids bother to publish them. Unless it’s to reassure the British public that Andrew is still hanging around, alive and kicking!

Old 10-12-2021, 03:04 AM
Serene Highness

They'll probably get fed up of it eventually, and stop publishing them. I'm sure no-one really needs to see a picture of someone in a car. It's actually quite annoying, when a lot of the important and interesting work done by Edward and Sophie gets ignored.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My reasoning about Royal Lodge is that I think it is easier to hide him somewhere away from London and the press. I don't think they want pictures of him on the tabloids ever other day.
Provided the pictures are just of him going riding or visiting someone in his car, I dont think they care. Provided he's leading a quiet life and there is no further scandal i can't see why they would act like he's a monster who has to be hidden in the atic
Old 10-12-2021, 03:42 AM
Royal Highness

That's probably partly it. Helping Andrew be forgotten about is not in the rags' best interest, of course.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:51 AM
Courtier

As some of you know, I enjoy reading published diaries of prominent British people.

Sasha Swire's recent "Diary of an MP's Wife" has a long passage about Andrew complaining and moaning to Hugo (Sasha's Ministerial husband) about Charles blocking his daughters from official roles, and makes mention of Charles and Andrew squabbling about a grand piano. The point I am making is that Andrew has no compunctions about going to government officials to complain about his issues which are essentially family business. Sounding off to government ministers will not help him.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
As some of you know, I enjoy reading published diaries of prominent British people.

Sasha Swire's recent "Diary of an MP's Wife" has a long passage about Andrew complaining and moaning to Hugo (Sasha's Ministerial husband) about Charles blocking his daughters from official roles, and makes mention of Charles and Andrew squabbling about a grand piano. The point I am making is that Andrew has no compunctions about going to government officials to complain about his issues which are essentially family business. Sounding off to government ministers will not help him.
I think complaining to Hugo Swire about Charles is a huge misstep on the part of Andrew. Hugo may have been a friend of his, but this sort of stuff really ought not to come into the public domain.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:27 AM
Serene Highness

I suppose that, when you're a public person, you should be careful about what you say, but I really dislike the whole idea of Sarah Swire keeping a secret diary and then using it to write a book bitching about people who thought of her as a friend, and exposing conversations which were meant to be private, and being paid a lot of money to do so. She's hardly the first person to do something like this, and she won't be the last, but that doesn't make it OK.

And how many people had even heard of Hugo Swire before this book was published? He really wasn't a prominent person - he was a junior minister who was bitter because he never got a senior job. Andrew shouldn't have been moaning to politicians, full stop, but books like this are just nasty - it's just someone trying to make money out of betraying their former friends.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
This made me laugh out loud. I can't imagine Anne or Edward wanting to be burdened by someone so unpopular.

I wonder if any royals would even want to attend his funeral in decades to come, such an embarrassment he has been. Likewise, as others have said, I doubt he will be allowed to attend any future royal events including the funeral of the Queen. He doesn't deserve to be associated with the family.
I am sorry to disagree but at the moment Andrew is only guilty of being arrogant, behaving like a buffoon, dubious choice of friends and associates.

I can see why he needs to keep a low profile and regardless of whether he clears his name or not IMO his whole attitude towards all this makes me doubt if he would be welcome back doing royal work.
That does not mean he should be thrown out of his home or put into some form of exile for the rest of his life.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:44 AM
Courtier

A jolly read though!

(in response to Alison H)
Old 10-12-2021, 06:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
A jolly read though!

(in response to Alison H)
I agree. And she probably caused more embarrasment for David Cameron than anybody else.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
This made me laugh out loud. I can't imagine Anne or Edward wanting to be burdened by someone so unpopular.

I wonder if any royals would even want to attend his funeral in decades to come, such an embarrassment he has been. Likewise, as others have said, I doubt he will be allowed to attend any future royal events including the funeral of the Queen. He doesn't deserve to be associated with the family.

For all I know they could be emotionally distant, from but this is a man they have fond memories, a man they grew up with and even care for, he is their brother/Uncle/Father. Most of the time with a man like him there is confusion, what they think they know of him through experience vs whatever crminial activity a person like that does, its difficult for family members to understand at times. but it doesnt mean the love for him immediately dies. We may view him as a criminal and they may view him as one as well, but it doesnt mean they dont care for him, it's simplifying emotions (I can only imagine how his daughters must feel.) I thinks some would attend his funeral if he doesnt outlive them, especially if it's private. The man was never prosecuted anyways, not that i like him.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesschicana View Post
For all I know they could be emotionally distant, from but this is a man they have fond memories, a man they grew up with and even care for, he is their brother. Most of the time with a man like him there is confusion, what they think they know of him through experience vs whatever crminial activity a person like that does, its difficult for family members to understand at times. but it doesnt mean the love for him immediately dies. We may view him as a criminal and they may view him as one as well, but it doesnt mean they dont care for him, it's simplifying emotions I thinks some would attend his funeral if he doesnt outlive them, especially if it's private. the man was never prosecuted anyways, not that i like him.
I think in a case such as Andrew´s, as far as family is concerned, I think the adage ¨love the sinner but despise the sin¨ applies here. Families continue to love each other while seriously shaking their heads in disbelief over the antics and behavior of one of their members. Without the support system of family that will, in no uncertain terms, let the family member know how badly they have misbehaved or really mucked something up, they are also there for support should the miscreant decided to strive for the straight and narrow path again.

Family does not tell you what you want to hear. They tell you what you *need* to hear.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
path again.

Family does not tell you what you want to hear. They tell you what you *need* to hear.
I love our old gal the Queen, but she was certainly dragging her feet when retiring him,. Up until a certain point she was still giving him types of honors, but his sibilings and others may be the type to give him that harsh love.

And to stay more on topic I dont see him doing much of anything yet until the civil case is settled. He should just stay retired.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think he will remain retired and out to pasture no matter what happens with any case relating to his involvement with Epstein/Maxwell. He could end up totally clearing his name and all accusations and insinuations dropped against him but the damage has already been done to his reputation to ever regain the high esteem that working royals are regarded with. Some things a person just cannot bounce back from. Credibility of character, once lost, is next to impossible to regain.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is the link to the piece by Roya Nikkhah in the Times on which much of the discussion in this thread has been based.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2430390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Why would Anne and Edward have any say on this matter? Both are less senior than Andrew within the Royal Family. If Charles wanted to consult with anyone else on what to do with Andrew, it should be with William, rather than Edward and Anne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'll have absolutely nothing to do with speculations of internal family machinations that may or may not have happened sometime in the dark halls of Balmoral or Windsor Castle or behind the stables at Sandringham because frankly they're just off the wall suppositions and scenarios created by inventive minds as a "what if". For all we know, Andrew could have also enlisted the help of Donald Trump to get him back into good graces with his mama and brother again. Yah right... and
For some royal families it is seen as unremarkable when junior royals are involved in certain family consultations. In some monarchies and families (e.g. Luxembourg or Japan) there are in fact royal or family councils where junior royals are formally represented. Is consulting younger siblings so unheard-of in the UK royal house?
Old 10-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Courtier

I expect that one of the first things that Charles will do as king is to order his brother to move a long way away and keep a low profile, like the similarly disgraced Duke of Windsor had to do.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesschicana View Post
For all I know they could be emotionally distant, from but this is a man they have fond memories, a man they grew up with and even care for, he is their brother/Uncle/Father. Most of the time with a man like him there is confusion, what they think they know of him through experience vs whatever crminial activity a person like that does, its difficult for family members to understand at times. but it doesnt mean the love for him immediately dies. We may view him as a criminal and they may view him as one as well, but it doesnt mean they dont care for him, it's simplifying emotions (I can only imagine how his daughters must feel.) I thinks some would attend his funeral if he doesnt outlive them, especially if it's private. The man was never prosecuted anyways, not that i like him.
I doubt anyone views him as a criminal, mor e of a disgrace, embarrassment and big liability. Plus there will always be the rumours/allegations following him for the rest of his life. Obviously he won't be doing royal duties, he would have to avoid any charities with associations to vulnerable women or even to children.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I expect that one of the first things that Charles will do as king is to order his brother to move a long way away and keep a low profile, like the similarly disgraced Duke of Windsor had to do.
Why? Andrew ilives in Windsor, its his home, he has a long lease on it and he has to live somwerhe so that is a good place. He will be keeping a low profile, and he will have privacy and security at hte Royal Lodge. Why would Charles want to send him "far away" when he has a home at Windsor.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
They aren't going to send him in to exile abroad. For one thing it would be even easier for him to get involved with another dodgy billionaire (Epstein wasn't the only one) or something else.

Better to keep him "close" at Windsor where his daughters, grandchildren and others are closeby than overseas potentially selling gossip or worse.

Whatever happens with the lawsuit eventually the papers will get board of him driving or riding. And if they're so interested in that they'll find him wherever he is anyway.

Besides "Charles uses millions in Duchy funds to pay off Andrew" isn't a great headline either.