Andrew's future outside of the working BRF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why on earth would anyone demolish Royal Lodge? Quite apart from the fact that it's a Grade II listed building so it would be illegal, it's hardly as if someone's been murdering people in the basement.

It's a shame for the Queen that things between Charles and Andrew seem to be so bad There's been a lot of talk about the relationship between William and Harry, but this seems to be even worse. I don't think they were ever that close to start with, but it's got worse over the years, with disagreements over the position of Beatrice and Eugenie, and now they seem to be at daggers drawn. I quite understand Prince Charles's concerns that Andrew's shenanigans could damage the monarchy, but it's still sad for the Queen.

its hardly surprising that charles is pretty fed up iwht Andrew, but yes I agree Andrew's misbehaviour isn't exactly Rillington Place.. the house does not have to be demolished

Why on earth would anyone demolish Royal Lodge? Quite apart from the fact that it's a Grade II listed building so it would be illegal, it's hardly as if someone's been murdering people in the basement.

It's a shame for the Queen that things between Charles and Andrew seem to be so bad There's been a lot of talk about the relationship between William and Harry, but this seems to be even worse. I don't think they were ever that close to start with, but it's got worse over the years, with disagreements over the position of Beatrice and Eugenie, and now they seem to be at daggers drawn. I quite understand Prince Charles's concerns that Andrew's shenanigans could damage the monarchy, but it's still sad for the Queen.

Of course it's sad that a mother's child has turned out to be a huge disappointment in the way he's conducted his life but a mother's love is unconditional and remains strong. However, both the Queen and Charles are so protective of the monarchy and their roles in it's continuity that they can't turn a blind eye to Andrew's character failings and promptly and securely put the well being of the monarchy first and foremost and that meant that Andrew must go out to pasture and graze there for the rest of his life in private.

I'm sure that Andrew realizes that his brother, who will be king, does not hold him in the highest of esteem and he will not be able to put one over anytime soon on Charles, William and yes... even his mother when it comes to the monarchy. Maybe one day Andrew will actually realize how he's destroyed himself by his own words and actions? Anything can happen. ;)

I think that essentially the Queen will make sure that money is put aside or at least make certain that there is some sort of income for Andrew for life. I do not think that when Charles is King he will allow Andrew to stay on Windsor Great Park. So it is in his interest to get something smaller and more affordable and manageable - maybe he can move in with Anne or Edward.
I think that in 30 years from now. People are going to be watching the Crown wondering when he died only to be told that he is living in Scotland somewhere. So unheard of that people forget that he is there. What he does with his time - who knows who cares. I just think that I would want it to be something meaningful and fulfilling.

I think that essentially the Queen will make sure that money is put aside or at least make certain that there is some sort of income for Andrew for life. I do not think that when Charles is King he will allow Andrew to stay on Windsor Great Park. So it is in his interest to get something smaller and more affordable and manageable - maybe he can move in with Anne or Edward.
I think that in 30 years from now. People are going to be watching the Crown wondering when he died only to be told that he is living in Scotland somewhere. So unheard of that people forget that he is there. What he does with his time - who knows who cares. I just think that I would want it to be something meaningful and fulfilling.

This made me laugh out loud. I can't imagine Anne or Edward wanting to be burdened by someone so unpopular.

I wonder if any royals would even want to attend his funeral in decades to come, such an embarrassment he has been. Likewise, as others have said, I doubt he will be allowed to attend any future royal events including the funeral of the Queen. He doesn't deserve to be associated with the family.

Actually, I don't think Charles has much say (now or when he's king) about Andrew's residing in Windsor Great Park at Royal Lodge. Andrew has a very long lease on Royal Lodge with the Crown Estate that Charles has no real power to break. I doubt that Charles would even go that far as to think of moving his brother out of a home he's put his own money into and has lived there happily for years. Andrew is set at Royal Lodge and there's no reason on earth that he should even consider moving out to somewhere else.

It doesn't matter what the public wants from Andrew or what they think Andrew should or shouldn't do. We all live and make our own life choices and then have to live with the decisions we've made over time. The same goes for Andrew. Wherever he goes and whatever he does with his future is up to him and him alone. I just hope he lives out the rest of his life wisely.

If he was indeed to quietly move away to a cottage in either Balmoral or Sandringham, he may as well give up Royal Lodge, although I can't see anyone wanting to take on such a property that was occupied by the disgraced Duke of York with his dubious friendships. Perhaps the building will have to be demolished and maybe rebuilt in future?

Wow.

The Duke is not even charged with any crime whatsoever and the current monumental, Grade-listed, Royal Lodge, with generations of royals since Georgian times will have to be demolished even ?

All limits have come off here...

Last edited:
This made me laugh out loud. I can't imagine Anne or Edward wanting to be burdened by someone so unpopular.

I wonder if any royals would even want to attend his funeral in decades to come, such an embarrassment he has been. Likewise, as others have said, I doubt he will be allowed to attend any future royal events including the funeral of the Queen. He doesn't deserve to be associated with the family.

He hasn't been thrown out of hte family, the siblings may be cross with him but they are not refusing to be seen with him. Of course he will atttned his mother's funeral.. he has been foolish and selfish and behaved badly but why should he be refused going to his own mmother's funeral or not having some relatives at his own funeral.

Actually, I don't think Charles has much say (now or when he's king) about Andrew's residing in Windsor Great Park at Royal Lodge. Andrew has a very long lease on Royal Lodge with the Crown Estate that Charles has no real power to break. I doubt that Charles would even go that far as to think of moving his brother out of a home he's put his own money into and has lived there happily for years. Andrew is set at Royal Lodge and there's no reason on earth that he should even consider moving out to somewhere else.

Yes I think he's got a 100 year lease... and why would Chalres want to throw him out of his home where he can live quietly adn privately? Andrew is not going to live in a cottage... he has a home and he's not going to be put out of it

Y'know, I would hate to hear your take on what should happen to Andrew if and when he actually was convicted and sentenced for committing an actual crime. Drawn and quartered and drug through the streets of London for all to see and throw vegetables at? Being forced to wear a bright red sweater with the capital letter "P" in bright neon yellow denoting a "pervert"? All kinds of medieval punishments come to mind here.

For those that have never done anything to embarrass anyone else, you have nothing to worry about. The rest of us pretty much can hang up our lives and resign ourselves to being lonely, solitary outcasts for the rest of our natural days. Sheeesh! :eek:

Andrew has already paid the lease on Royal Lodge for 99 years so Charles can't just kick him out. He would have to pay out that lease himself. There are legalities involved and Charles kicking his brother out of the home he has paid for and also paid for the refurbishment of would show just how vindictive Charles can be. Andrew will remain at Royal Lodge - as per The Queen's Mother's wishes as well - for the rest of his life. The Queen Mum made it known that she wanted Andrew to have Royal Lodge just as she made it known she wanted Charles to have CH and Birkhall.

My take on the alledged meeting if even true is, Charles and William arent kings yet. So they should take a few seats down. The best they can do is voice their displeasure via the media in case HM is tempted to give in to her fav.

My take on the alledged meeting if even true is, Charles and William arent kings yet. So they should take a few seats down. The best they can do is voice their displeasure via the media in case HM is tempted to give in to her fav.

Actually, it's becoming more and more obvious that the monarchy is now going through a period of, what I like to call a soft transition between monarchs. The Queen is relying on and turning over more and more decisions to Charles as it will be his reign that will be affected by those decisions. Charles, in turn, is including William in the decision making not only to prepare him for his role as the heir to the throne but also with realizing that the reality is that Charles' reign will not be anywhere near a long one that his mother's was. They realize that what affects the monarchy today will impact the monarchies of the next two kings to ascend the throne. I am wont to believe that the Queen actually listened to and deferred to Charles' thinking on how to handle the Andrew conundrum.

It just wouldn't do for the Queen to concede to Andrew because he's her "favorite" and within years, have Charles come to the throne and change things up and sending Andrew to pasture. What needed to be done had to be done *now* for the continuity of the monarchy to transition smoothly between those that would be affected most by the decisions made today. One thing stood out for me. The monarchy came first and prevailed over everything else.

Actually, it's becoming more and more obvious that the monarchy is now going through a period of, what I like to call a soft transition between monarchs. The Queen is relying on and turning over more and more decisions to Charles as it will be his reign that will be affected by those decisions. Charles, in turn, is including William in the decision making not only to prepare him for his role as the heir to the throne but also with realizing that the reality is that Charles' reign will not be anywhere near a long one that his mother's was. They realize that what affects the monarchy today will impact the monarchies of the next two kings to ascend the throne. I am wont to believe that the Queen actually listened to and deferred to Charles' thinking on how to handle the Andrew conundrum.

It just wouldn't do for the Queen to concede to Andrew because he's her "favorite" and within years, have Charles come to the throne and change things up and sending Andrew to pasture. What needed to be done had to be done *now* for the continuity of the monarchy to transition smoothly between those that would be affected most by the decisions made today. One thing stood out for me. The monarchy came first and prevailed over everything else.

I realize Charles is taking on more of a role and is pinning things out, I'm just saying our old girl aint dead yet. I'm of the thought that I never liked Andrew, and perfer to never seem him again, but looking through The Queen's eyes as a mother she may be tempted to give to whatever demands he may have on his lack of position and her other children know this so they may trying to send her message through the media again not sure if the story is true.

I can still see him some unoffical family events though.

Last edited:
Honestly, I can believe that Charles, Anne and Edward have had a sort of private "meeting of the minds" with regard to Andrew. They are his siblings. I see it this way - Andrew lacks the self-awareness necessary to be anything other than an arrogant, pompous ass. He has for years and I'd bet his siblings are most keenly aware of this. Charles, for years now, has been said to advocate for a slimmed down monarchy. Clearly, Anne & Edward are in agreement with that vision, and have been for at least the last quarter century. Anne and Mark Phillips eschewed titles for their children and raised them to be self-sufficient. Edward and Sophie chose for their children to be titled not as Princess & Prince, which is their right as grandchildren of the monarch in the male line, but instead as children of an Earl. Andrew has, in part because of when he got married and had children, envisioned a far more prominent role for his daughters, even as it became clear in the last 15 years that this was not the direction in which the public wanted the BRF to go.

He just doesn't "get it", refuses to "get it", and is doing everything within his power, behind the scenes, to at least get back to where he was 2 years ago as a working royal. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if, knowing that Charles and William aren't budging and that Mummy is letting Charles & William make these type of personnel decisions now, he's been trying to lobby his way back through his sister and younger brother. Family dynamics being what they are, we all know that Anne and Charles are close, and we know that Edward & Sophie are close to William & Kate. I can very easily see a scenario where Anne casually mentions to Charles just how obtuse Andrew is being while Edward mentions something similar to William, or possibly Anne, and the three siblings have a little powwow where they all agree that 1) their brother, Andrew, is an idiot to think that the public will ever want him back doing royal duties, 2) they (Anne & Edward) fully support whatever decisions Charles & William make for the future of the monarchy.

The fact that this seems to be coming public now, just as Scotland Yard & the Met Police announce that they've looked into the Virginia Roberts charges once more and have nothing that they can or will charge Andrew with and that the matter is completely closed, leads me to think that, once again, Andrew has been making noises behind the scenes to Anne & Edward, asking them to intervene on his behalf with Charles. The anonymous palace sourcing is his siblings (all three of them) way of telling him, as bluntly as they can, since he still refuses to "get it" that they have been in agreement for some time on the matter and it is settled - Andrew will not return to public royal duties. Ever. It's very clear, united messaging. Maybe Andrew will finally comprehend and grasp the enormity of his actions and behavior, though I rather think leopard might change its spots sooner.

Honestly, I can believe that Charles, Anne and Edward have had a sort of private "meeting of the minds" with regard to Andrew. They are his siblings. I see it this way - Andrew lacks the self-awareness necessary to be anything other than an arrogant, pompous ass. He has for years and I'd bet his siblings are most keenly aware of this. Charles, for years now, has been said to advocate for a slimmed down monarchy. Clearly, Anne & Edward are in agreement with that vision, and have been for at least the last quarter century. Anne and Mark Phillips eschewed titles for their children and raised them to be self-sufficient. Edward and Sophie chose for their children to be titled not as Princess & Prince, which is their right as grandchildren of the monarch in the male line, but instead as children of an Earl. Andrew has, in part because of when he got married and had children, envisioned a far more prominent role for his daughters, even as it became clear in the last 15 years that this was not the direction in which the public wanted the BRF to go.

He just doesn't "get it", refuses to "get it", and is doing everything within his power, behind the scenes, to at least get back to where he was 2 years ago as a working royal. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if, knowing that Charles and William aren't budging and that Mummy is letting Charles & William make these type of personnel decisions now, he's been trying to lobby his way back through his sister and younger brother. Family dynamics being what they are, we all know that Anne and Charles are close, and we know that Edward & Sophie are close to William & Kate. I can very easily see a scenario where Anne casually mentions to Charles just how obtuse Andrew is being while Edward mentions something similar to William, or possibly Anne, and the three siblings have a little powwow where they all agree that 1) their brother, Andrew, is an idiot to think that the public will ever want him back doing royal duties, 2) they (Anne & Edward) fully support whatever decisions Charles & William make for the future of the monarchy.

The fact that this seems to be coming public now, just as Scotland Yard & the Met Police announce that they've looked into the Virginia Roberts charges once more and have nothing that they can or will charge Andrew with and that the matter is completely closed, leads me to think that, once again, Andrew has been making noises behind the scenes to Anne & Edward, asking them to intervene on his behalf with Charles. The anonymous palace sourcing is his siblings (all three of them) way of telling him, as bluntly as they can, since he still refuses to "get it" that they have been in agreement for some time on the matter and it is settled - Andrew will not return to public royal duties. Ever. It's very clear, united messaging. Maybe Andrew will finally comprehend and grasp the enormity of his actions and behavior, though I rather think leopard might change its spots sooner.

Why would Anne and Edward have any say on this matter? Both are less senior than Andrew within the Royal Family. If Charles wanted to consult with anyone else on what to do with Andrew, it should be with William, rather than Edward and Anne.

Possibly because Charles needs the support of everyone still in the rapidly-slimming-down monarchy tent and not just William to keep things moving along.

Why would Anne and Edward have any say on this matter? Both are less senior than Andrew within the Royal Family. If Charles wanted to consult with anyone else on what to do with Andrew, it should be with William, rather than Edward and Anne.

Did you read the entire scenario? Andrew knows he won't get anywhere with Charles or William directly. So, he goes to his siblings to "plead his case," believing they will be more sympathetic to him and put in a good word with their brother & nephew. Anne & Edward, seeing the angle Andrew is playing, just shake their heads and let their older brother know what's up.

It doesn't have anything to do with seniority of position in the BRF but more to do with basic family dynamics. And, it doesn't really have anything to do with who Charles should or shouldn't be consulting with regarding the future of the monarchy. Again, this is about family dynamics.

It's pretty clear, from their own actions, that Anne & Edward support a slimmed down monarchy. The way this information has been dropped about a meeting between Charles, Anne & Edward way back in January makes it clear that they support their brother & nephew as future kings and keeping Andrew out of the public eye. That's the message for Andrew. Not only do they agree that he has no future role as a working royal but they support Charles & William's views on the matter.

I'll have absolutely nothing to do with speculations of internal family machinations that may or may not have happened sometime in the dark halls of Balmoral or Windsor Castle or behind the stables at Sandringham because frankly they're just off the wall suppositions and scenarios created by inventive minds as a "what if". For all we know, Andrew could have also enlisted the help of Donald Trump to get him back into good graces with his mama and brother again. Yah right... and :pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly:

When it comes to the monarchy and the decisions that need to be made, there is a very strict hierarchy involved and the decisions are made by those that will have to not only live with them but also deal with the repercussions of them. There's no lobbying or politicking in the back corners or under the stairs to "influence" a decision to be made by all and sundry anywhere close to throne. Andrew may be a lot of things but one thing he's not is bright enough to try and manipulate things to go in his favor where the monarchy is concerned. He's really was very low on the royal totem pole while at his peak and as time passed, he gravitated lower and lower on that pole. His actions and his behavior and his own words totally knocked him off the pole entirely. :D

There is just absolutely nothing Andrew could do or say to sway anything in his favor when the issue of the monarchy is raised.

My reasoning about Royal Lodge is that I think it is easier to hide him somewhere away from London and the press. I don't think they want pictures of him on the tabloids ever other day.

My reasoning about Royal Lodge is that I think it is easier to hide him somewhere away from London and the press. I don't think they want pictures of him on the tabloids ever other day.

First of all, Andrew doesn't need to "hide" any more than he should wear sackcloths and ashes forevermore. Where he resides at Royal Lodge, is housed in Windsor Great Park and is also owned by the Crown Estate. Not all areas of Windsor Great Park are accessible to the public and security is pretty well known as being top notch. Access to getting those shots of Andrew for the tabloids are pretty slim these days.

Once again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

90% of what photos of Andrew the tabloids show nowadays are of him driving his car near his home or long shots of him horse riding in Windsor Great Park with or without his mother.

They are of minimal interest to most readers and personally I wonder why the tabloids bother to publish them. Unless it’s to reassure the British public that Andrew is still hanging around, alive and kicking!

They'll probably get fed up of it eventually, and stop publishing them. I'm sure no-one really needs to see a picture of someone in a car. It's actually quite annoying, when a lot of the important and interesting work done by Edward and Sophie gets ignored.

Provided the pictures are just of him going riding or visiting someone in his car, I dont think they care. Provided he's leading a quiet life and there is no further scandal i can't see why they would act like he's a monster who has to be hidden in the atic

That's probably partly it. Helping Andrew be forgotten about is not in the rags' best interest, of course.

As some of you know, I enjoy reading published diaries of prominent British people.

Sasha Swire's recent "Diary of an MP's Wife" has a long passage about Andrew complaining and moaning to Hugo (Sasha's Ministerial husband) about Charles blocking his daughters from official roles, and makes mention of Charles and Andrew squabbling about a grand piano. The point I am making is that Andrew has no compunctions about going to government officials to complain about his issues which are essentially family business. Sounding off to government ministers will not help him.

As some of you know, I enjoy reading published diaries of prominent British people.

Sasha Swire's recent "Diary of an MP's Wife" has a long passage about Andrew complaining and moaning to Hugo (Sasha's Ministerial husband) about Charles blocking his daughters from official roles, and makes mention of Charles and Andrew squabbling about a grand piano. The point I am making is that Andrew has no compunctions about going to government officials to complain about his issues which are essentially family business. Sounding off to government ministers will not help him.

I think complaining to Hugo Swire about Charles is a huge misstep on the part of Andrew. Hugo may have been a friend of his, but this sort of stuff really ought not to come into the public domain.

I suppose that, when you're a public person, you should be careful about what you say, but I really dislike the whole idea of Sarah Swire keeping a secret diary and then using it to write a book bitching about people who thought of her as a friend, and exposing conversations which were meant to be private, and being paid a lot of money to do so. She's hardly the first person to do something like this, and she won't be the last, but that doesn't make it OK.

And how many people had even heard of Hugo Swire before this book was published? He really wasn't a prominent person - he was a junior minister who was bitter because he never got a senior job. Andrew shouldn't have been moaning to politicians, full stop, but books like this are just nasty - it's just someone trying to make money out of betraying their former friends.

I am sorry to disagree but at the moment Andrew is only guilty of being arrogant, behaving like a buffoon, dubious choice of friends and associates.

I can see why he needs to keep a low profile and regardless of whether he clears his name or not IMO his whole attitude towards all this makes me doubt if he would be welcome back doing royal work.
That does not mean he should be thrown out of his home or put into some form of exile for the rest of his life.

Back
Top Bottom