Andrew & Sarah: Marriage, Divorce and Divorce Settlement

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not think of their burials, that’s an interesting point. Unless public opinion shifts, I could see Andrew being laid to rest elsewhere anyway. After living happily as they are, they might worry that their getting remarried would change things. They divorced when I was young but they seem to have been happier divorced than they were married.

On Philip’s funeral, I’m not so sure she’d have been invited on a limit of 30 even if they had been married. He was less forgiving of her than HM I understand. Even for someone who didn’t want fuss, 30 was very small. He had a large family and circumstances in his life made him closer to his extended family than perhaps most of us would be.

If they did remarry, wouldn't Andrew be responsible for her debts?
I know he's helped her in the past, but I don't think he is legally obligated to do so.
If they remarry it could be a different story.

There's no law stopping them getting married again but I doubt she'd ever regain her HRH after the last debacle of being caught trying to sell access to Andrew. Knowing that she'd be denied the HRH might deter them as it would be hugely embarrassing & humiliating for them and their daughters..

I doubt they would remarry while the queen lives and in Charles' reign, I don't think he would issue LPs to strip her of a HRH once married again to his brother. I wouldn't wonder if they are already remarried and just didn't make it public. I mean, someone must have given Meghan the idea about "Marrying" Harry 3 days before her official marriage...

I doubt they would remarry while the queen lives and in Charles' reign, I don't think he would issue LPs to strip her of a HRH once married again to his brother. I wouldn't wonder if they are already remarried and just didn't make it public. I mean, someone must have given Meghan the idea about "Marrying" Harry 3 days before her official marriage...

Of course they are not married.. If tehy had married secretly it woudl have leaked out.. knowing how "discreet" Fergie is herself.
And Meghan's "marrying Harry" was all her own idea....

I did not think of their burials, that’s an interesting point. Unless public opinion shifts, I could see Andrew being laid to rest elsewhere anyway. After living happily as they are, they might worry that their getting remarried would change things. They divorced when I was young but they seem to have been happier divorced than they were married.

On Philip’s funeral, I’m not so sure she’d have been invited on a limit of 30 even if they had been married. He was less forgiving of her than HM I understand. Even for someone who didn’t want fuss, 30 was very small. He had a large family and circumstances in his life made him closer to his extended family than perhaps most of us would be.

Whether public opinion shifts or not, Andrew is a Mountbatten-Windsor by birth and he has a right to be buried with his family and his ancestors when he passes away.

I am no fan of his, but really. Enough is enough.:ermm:

Last edited:
of course he'll be buried iwht the rest of the RF.. in privacy.

I am also not a fan but neither am I as big a critic as others I’ve come across, not least because he hasn’t been proven guilty. That he is not married to Sarah would mean he couldn’t have both though as another poster highlighted, and I did wonder if public opinion might sway him to ask the girls to lay him to rest with Sarah rather than in the Royal Burial Ground.

Thinking about it some more, I suppose he could have both without remarrying if he was cremated. We’ll find out what his wishes are hopefully a long time from now.

I don't think they will remarry. Maybe they are better as friends and co parents.

Sarah might not be popular, to put it mildly, but right now, there are no expectations of her. If they remarry (provided that they wish it), she's going to be held up to SOME standards, although not as high as they would have been before his disastrous interview. And she's bound to fail. Wise thing to do: stay under the radar. People just got accustomed to the idea that with two grown-up children with husbands of their own, this arrangement of yours to "bring them up together" isn't going to end. Never, it seems. Why give them a new thing to talk about?

And I'm saying this as someone who has always had a soft spot for both of them despite their epic failures. They blew it up big time. There's no recovery from this. Even if they do want to remarry - and we don't know this, - letting the sleeping dogs lie is the wiser course of action. Then again, it's Andrew and Sarah we're talking about. Wise isn't the word I'd appy to them first.

Just read in the Daily Fail that Andrew and Fergie visited the queen several times since Philip's death. It seems they appear like a couple even when visiting HMS Bubble...

Just read in the Daily Fail that Andrew and Fergie visited the queen several times since Philip's death. It seems they appear like a couple even when visiting HMS Bubble...

Andrew and Sarah may be a couple, but I just cannot see the point of them gettinbg married. They live as a couple and a family, and marriage will only bring attention they can do without at this stage.

I think it's pretty much quietly acknowledged by HM and the rest of the Royal Family that Andrew and Sarah are married in all but name now. I used to believe that they would once again legalize their union but I no longer think they will...for many of the reasons already listed here.

I think it's pretty much quietly acknowledged by HM and the rest of the Royal Family that Andrew and Sarah are married in all but name now. I used to believe that they would once again legalize their union but I no longer think they will...for many of the reasons already listed here.

They are not "married in all but name". Both of them have had long periods of other relationships, and its just that they live in the same house when they are boht in England.. and are close ot their girls. At present, they are boht stuck in the UK, as they can't travel and Andrew no longer has his royal job.. but they are not anyting like married.

They are not "married in all but name". Both of them have had long periods of other relationships, and its just that they live in the same house when they are boht in England.. and are close ot their girls. At present, they are boht stuck in the UK, as they can't travel and Andrew no longer has his royal job.. but they are not anyting like married.

I know they both had other relationships and had plenty of time as divorced parents, but for the last few years, to me, they come across as a couple.

They are not "married in all but name". Both of them have had long periods of other relationships, [...]

Isn't it rather common for married couples in the British aristocracy to have other relationships, sometimes by mutual consent?

I know they both had other relationships and had plenty of time as divorced parents, but for the last few years, to me, they come across as a couple.
I think it suits them to do that. Andrew seems to have given up on any romantic relationships per se.. and Fergie doesn't seem to have any real boyfriends these days. And with his enforced retirement and her being stuck at home due to Covid, they are stuck in Royal lodge and probably enjoy each other's company as friends and keep in touch with their daughters. Sarah defends Andrew, in public since his disgrace and he has always tried to protect her.. so its probably a case of a half loaf of companionship is better than no bread at all. They may feel that it makes them look good to be a happily divorced but living togehter couple, rahter than 2 lonely individuals.. Of course for many people it problaby looks like "two people who bring out the worst in each other, clinging together for protection."

Isn't it rather common for married couples in the British aristocracy to have other relationships, sometimes by mutual consent?

That used to be the case when people married for money/position and divorce wasn't an option but now that they're all free to marry for love, the level of tolerance for extra-marital affairs is the same as everybody else's.

Not so much nowadays. It used to be a case when divorce was considered unacceptable for couples to have other lovers, but some of them did still maintain a friendly closeness with their partner but have separate love lives. However nowadays, couples who find other loves are more likley to get divorced....
I think one of the reasons that Andrew wanted a divorce was that Sarah was bored with him and seeing other men and he was angry and hurt and did not want to continue the marriage...
However over time, I think that Andrew still retained a protective feeling towards her, and wanted to look after her.. and she began to regret ending the marriage because she was on her own, her love relationships didn't seem to work out and she had money troubles.. so they fell into a pattern of his keeping an eye on her and helping her out. But it probably made it difficult for him to have any serious romantic relationships, with his ongoing ties to Sarah... and it was probably bad for them both in that they both got into friendships with dubious people in order to make money...and both ended up with their ties to Epstein...

Last edited:

To me as well. Regardless of who they have been with in the past, they are together now and they were for quite a while BEFORE the pandemic...when they were free to be with others.

My guess is that they have settled into a comfortable life together and it will stay that way.

As for the naysayers....time will tell I suppose.:whistling:

I am always stunned by how absolutely assured you post your "opinions". But okay.

Maybe they are so deeply funded in their belief that divorce doesn't work for them because they married and made their promises to each other in church. Even if they did not stay true to each other, they might still believe that their vows are still existant. And how can HM do anything but agree with them? If it is so...

Sure but that didn't stop them divorcing the first time. And it's different from when you're in the "modern" BRF to the BRF of 100 years ago or aristocratic marriages out of the limelight at any time.

Whilst they're not married they can do what they like and no one will bat an eyelid but if they get married and are then spotted having an intimate meal with someone else, combined with their scandals past and present all hell would break loose (again).

I honestly don't know what their current relationship is or if they have ever wanted to get married again before or after the 2019 interview but I also think "they'll get married again after Philip dies" is something of a royal watching urban legend that would cause them a lot of closer inspection "in the public interest" into their current lives that they really, really don't want right now.

Last edited:
I am always stunned by how absolutely assured you post your "opinions". But okay.

Maybe they are so deeply funded in their belief that divorce doesn't work for them because they married and made their promises to each other in church. Even if they did not stay true to each other, they might still believe that their vows are still existant. And how can HM do anything but agree with them? If it is so...

I think that's quite a leap to imagine that they are so religious that they feel their vows are still binding them... I remember things, and I remember that Sarah was the one who wanted out of the marriage.. Andrew didn't at first but when he realised that Sarah was fed up wiht him, and openly unfaithful, I think he felt angry and that she had made a fool of him and he too wanted a divorce....

Last edited:
Sure but that didn't stop them divorcing the first time. And it's different from when you're in the "modern" BRF to the BRF of 100 years ago or aristocratic marriages out of the limelight at any time.

I honestly don't know if they have ever wanted to get married again before or after the 2019 interview but I also think "they'll get married again after Philip dies" is something of a royal watching urban legend that would cause them a lot of closer inspection "in the public interest" into their current lives that they really, really don't want right now.
I think that people seem to want to believe that they "really loved each other" and that it was the RF and particularly Philip who pushed Sarah out and has never changed his mind about her... but I must say I didn't expect that people would start imagining them getting married right now..
The truth is that although they started out with a bit in common, and were in love for a while, Sarah wasn't much good at being royal.. and she and Andrew didn't have that much in common. And within a few years Andrew's arrogant nature, his boring ways, her silliness etc etc had driven a wedge between them...
over time, I think they have developed a different sort of bond, but its to do with their mutual need for money and love of pleasure, and probably they have long since moved on in terms of romantic partnerships... and basically its not really that healthy a bond. I dont think that Andrew was as greedy for money, during his marriage.. I think that when Sarah got continually into debt after the divorce, he tried to help her but it was in dubious ways.. and I think that he began to resent the fact that he had a lot less money than his brother and again, he got more and more into a messy lifestyle of associating with dubious people to get hold of more money and easily available girls.. and Sarah has defended him because she needs a constant supply of money.....

Last edited:
For myself, I will admit that many years ago I did think that maybe they would remarry after Prince Phillip died. But.....I do not think that now. I believe that too many things have happened in the last 5-10 years for them to remarry. I truly believe that they "live" together" for mutual companionship and financial reasons.

For myself, I will admit that many years ago I did think that maybe they would remarry after Prince Phillip died. But.....I do not think that now. I believe that too many things have happened in the last 5-10 years for them to remarry. I truly believe that they "live" together" for mutual companionship and financial reasons.

I think a lot of it is convenience. They get on well, they have at present no other romantic involvements, as far as one can tell and Andrew is pretty much confined to his home area. And Fergie needs a home and at present cant travel abroad. So it suits them to share a home. they have a base and have each other to turn to ... and form a money point of view, Fergie usually over spends, so I think she'd be very reluctant to give up her home with Andrew.

I realey dont care if S and A are married but if they are happy togetherthen it is not our buisnish !!!

I think a lot of it is convenience. They get on well, they have at present no other romantic involvements, as far as one can tell and Andrew is pretty much confined to his home area. And Fergie needs a home and at present cant travel abroad. So it suits them to share a home. they have a base and have each other to turn to ... and form a money point of view, Fergie usually over spends, so I think she'd be very reluctant to give up her home with Andrew.

I agree.
Fergie never seems to have enough money, and where else could she live in a royal residence with servants, transportation, etc., and all for free?

I agree.
Fergie never seems to have enough money, and where else could she live in a royal residence with servants, transportation, etc., and all for free?

True, I think that people romanticise the relationship and think that Sarah and Andrew are True Love.. and that withtout Philip in the way or the RF, they'd remarry.. but while I think They are good pals and get on well, there's a lot of convenience in the relationship..
Sarah has depended on Andrew for years for a connection (with her girls) to the RF, and for a home.. and he now I think depends on her because he is probably very isolated...

I think the Duke of York, in his latest public appearance, may have been wearing an undergarment to minimize his attractive bulk.

Back
Top Bottom