Andrew & Sarah: Marriage, Divorce and Divorce Settlement

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She knew quite well that marrying a Naval officer means separations... but she began to whine once she was left alone. And Im sure that it is not at all the case that "Andrew didn't want to have anyting to do with her and Beatrice" Even if he was fed up with Sarah, soon, Im sure he was and is a loving father. And the indications are that it was Sara who got fed up iwht HIM, found him boring when they were home together but complained that he wasn't there when he was on duty...
IIRC part of the issue was that, unlike what happened years later with William and Catherine, a house nearby or on the base where Andrew was stationed was not found for Sarah to live in. She said later on that she would have liked to be just a Navy wife, but she was too far away to fit in with the other wives. The house that was chosen was so far away that Andrew couldn't even come home every day and Sarah was not allowed to live on base while he was in port. When Sarah did stay at the house in the country the press was relentless in calling her "lazy" for not doing more royal events. She couldn't win. At least this is what I remember and I think I even have some of the news articles from that time somewhere in storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wondered why Sarah did not go live near his base...much like the Queen did with Phillip (prior to being Queen)...and then later like Kate did.

LaRae

I have wondered why Sarah did not go live near his base...much like the Queen did with Phillip (prior to being Queen)...and then later like Kate did.
LaRae
Again, IIRC Sarah said that "security" didn't find anything suitable that was on base or close to it - the house that was finally chosen for them was something like two hours away by car - each way. Much too far for Andrew to come home at night. A & S had little to no say in what house they would live in. Again, I'm going by memory here and may not be getting this right.

Security protocols have changed so much in the last 70 years that a situation like Princess Elizabeth living a near ordinary life would be difficult to duplicate today. Also, Andrew and Sarah's situation occurred when the IRA was still active so that had to be taken into account too. William and Catherine were very, very lucky that he was posted to a base on an island that already had a suitable property available for them and was more easily secured. We also have much better security technology today.

Last edited:
Again, IIRC Sarah said that "security" didn't find anything suitable that was on base or close to it - the house that was finally chosen for them was something like two hours away by car - each way. Much too far for Andrew to come home at night. A & S had little to no say in what house they would live in. Again, I'm going by memory here and may not be getting this right.

Security protocols have changed so much in the last 70 years that a situation like Princess Elizabeth living a near ordinary life would be difficult to duplicate today. Also, Andrew and Sarah's situation occurred when the IRA was still active so that had to be taken into account too. William and Catherine were very, very lucky that he was posted to a base on an island that already had a suitable property available for them and was more easily secured. We also have much better security technology today.

So, obviously Sarah couldn't live with Andrew when he was deployed. But you are saying--essentially she really couldn't live with him even when he was on shore duty either and only saw her husband when he was on leave. No wonder their marriage suffered. It's one thing to be a military wife prepared for deployments but Sarah apparently only got to see Andrew when he was on leave from the Navy.

Last edited:
I seem to recall too that a complaint of hers when Andrew was home at Sunninghill Park is that all he wanted to do is be a couch potato and watch TV or play video games.

I seem to recall too that a complaint of hers when Andrew was home at Sunninghill Park is that all he wanted to do is be a couch potato and watch TV or play video games.

I can see both sides of that--Sarah probably wanted to do things with Andrew and he just wanted to decompress on vacation from work. Just a bad situation.

I think Sarah is a fairly restless person anyway. She started her married life off after the honeymoon in a small flat inside BP. Soon she was learning to fly, shopping and travelling, such as skiing at Klosters with friends. The Yorks did rent a manor house in Dorset for a while to cut down on Andrew's travel time, but it was too remote for Sarah and they only spent a few weekends there. She was a bundle of energy and the couple had very different personas.

He spent long hours on his naval base attending lectures and studying for promotion. His main hobbies were golf and photography, but he was just too tired for either when he got home. These two, though in love and great friends, may not have had that much in common, really. She once remarked 'He comes home on Friday, we have a row on Saturday and he's gone on Sunday!'

Last edited:

True, and I think that it was expected that Sarah would do royal duties, she was reasonably popular at the time and the RF was on a "high", with Charles and Diana being a wel liked couple nad the RF wanted to make use of her to keep the flag flying
. So Sarah could not live near Andrew and just be a navy wife like any other navy wife. the queen only had a couple fo years in Malta, and soon had to give up that life to take up her royal responsibilities full time. ANd S should have realised that...

Of course it is hard to be a Navy wife who sees little of your husband, but that's the cross that military wives have to bear...

Yes, but that's because that's who he was. He and Sarah loved each other, but they were different sorts of people. She alos I think needed a husband who was there for her all the time, not someone who was gone for most of the week.... but that's what "army wife life" is like, mostly. Andrew problaby got bit more leave than other officers, and Sarah was living a much more comfortable life than if she were still a single Sloane girl with an office job...
She wanted to go out and have fun, Andrew was not that exciting a guy, when she saw him close up. He was a rather dull man who did just want to stay home, relax and watch TV... or play golf.

so within a short time, she was getting bored with him.. he was problaby irritated by her.. and they were falling out of love. And she then turned ot other men for amusement and companionship.

She was annoyed tat she and Andrew iddn't have as much money as Ch and Diana had to spend, and she spent too much.. and then began to seek out rich firends who could help her make more money.

I don't know of any evidence that he "didn't want to have anything to do with her and Beatrice".. Maybe he was getting irritated and bored with Sarah but I don't know of his being bored iwht his children.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see both sides of that--Sarah probably wanted to do things with Andrew and he just wanted to decompress on vacation from work. Just a bad situation.

Yep and military women world wide have to figure out how to work this...it's not easy but you are a single parent at times, long periods of time sometimes. Still..them living 2 hours from his base was a big mistake IMO.

Perhaps too, and I don't remember if this was known or even considered at the time, they should of been treated like Kate/William and been able to mostly disappear until his obligations to the military were over.

Hindsight is great.

LaRae

Not really. Kate and William were not considered to be on royal duty, for some years after their marriage. Andrew was a full time Naval officer, a career man, but they clearly wanted Sarah to be doing the sort of duties that a princess usually did. William and K weren't needed for royal wrok, but they did clearly feel that they needed Sarah to be an active member of the family and it would be years before Andrews' Naval career ended.
and there were more issues in the marriage problems than his being away on Naval duty.. As has been noted, when he was home, they had the problems too.. He wanted to stay in, she wanted to go out. She cearly found him rather dull, when he was at home...

As has been noted, when he was home, they had the problems too.. He wanted to stay in, she wanted to go out. She cearly found him rather dull, when he was at home...
At the time, Sarah was criticized when she went out socially when Andrew was away - for any reason. She was "expected" by the tabloids to stay tucked away at that country home "that we're paying for!" except when she was on royal duties and for a while she did try and was criticized for not pulling her weight... And when Andrew was home on leave, he wanted to BE HOME when he wasn't on engagements and she wanted to have the fun she couldn't have when he was away. It was a lose/lose situation. Sarah has said that for the entirety of their marriage they only spent an average of 42 days a year together - and much of those were on royal tours or with the family at Windsor or Balmoral. The most time they spent truly alone was the camping trip they took after their Canadian tour in 1987 when they got a few days in the back woods with just their guides and RPOs.

At the time, Sarah was criticized when she went out socially when Andrew was away - for any reason. She was "expected" by the tabloids to stay tucked away at that country home "that we're paying for!" except when she was on royal duties and for a while she did try and was criticized for not pulling her weight... And when Andrew was home on leave, he wanted to BE HOME when he wasn't on engagements and she wanted to have the fun she couldn't have when he was away. It was a lose/lose situation. Sarah has said that for the entirety of their marriage they only spent an average of 42 days a year together - and much of those were on royal tours or with the family at Windsor or Balmoral. The most time they spent truly alone was the camping trip they took after their Canadian tour in 1987 when they got a few days in the back woods with just their guides and RPOs.

I remember hearing, back then, about the 40 some days a year...no marriage can really survive that year after year. Amazing that nothing was done to try and change this situation (that we know about).

LaRae

They could have spent their weekends together, but the thing was that when they were married, they found they didn't really enjoy doing the same kind of thing at the weekend. Sarah wanted to be out having fun.. anothter woman might have enjoyed having her husband at home and doing quiet things together...

I found it interesting that Andrew said at Eugenie's wedding in his speech of the bride's father that he will "break the rules of the House of York" and then cuddled Jack in front of all, including the queen. It made me think of how far he goes inside of his own mind when he thinks of his own Royal House aka his own branch of the Royal Family where he is the boss. I mean, after the War of the Roses no branch of the Royal family survived long enough to form a new "House" - even the Electress Sophia only had her son George and her daughter Sophie Charlotte gave her grand-children, Sophie Charlotte was queen of Prussia and the grandmother of Frederick the Great and of his brother August, whose son became the heir of Frederick II plus numerous daughters who brought the (very distant ) right to the British throne eg into the Dutch monarchy.
What does The Duke of York as Head of his own House think about divorces? Does he really feel divorced or is he secretly feeling still married to Sarah? We might see what happens once Beatrice gets married and there is no reason anymore to "stick together for the sake of the children".

Basically, I see what Andrew said that within his family (House of Windsor), it isn't normally done to hug and embrace each other in public but within his own household, it is. It shows the closeness of the York family to each other and the fact that Andrew hugged Jack, shows he's been totally brought into the family fold. I find it refreshing. Then again, I'm a hugger.

This has allowed me to see a different Andrew than I normally see. Andrew can come across as pompous and filled with self importance and entitlement but seeing him at his daughter's wedding showed him to be a very loving daddy where his family is concerned. No wonder he has the happiest divorce on earth and has been able to maintain such a good relationship with Sarah. Its a clear case of putting family first.

I don't see this family unit ever breaking. Any grandchildren are going to be very well loved and cared for within the York fold. ?

well If Andrew feels married to Sarah, then over the years he has hardly been a faithful husband

I don't think either Andrew or Sarah "feel married" to each other. Its more of a case of two best friends that have children together. They're amicable to each other, enjoy each other's company and parent together to have a united family unit but they're both free to live their lives in the manner that they choose. I don't think Andrew and Sarah are romantically involved at all.

I don't think either Andrew or Sarah "feel married" to each other. .

No but people seem to be determined to believe that they are still in love and would be married if ti wasn't for the RF being cool with Sarah- and that they plan to remarry...
I think they are good friends, Sarah clings to Andrew because she has not doen very well in her post royal career and I think regrets the impulses that drove her to walk out..and he is essentially a decent man, if arrogant, stupid and a bit crude.. and has remained loyal and good friends with her...

Only time will tell but I do think Andrew and Sarah might re-marry after Philip dies and after Beatrice is married/settled.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think they truly never stopped loving each other but it was a case of I-can't-live-with-you-I-can't-live-without-you with these two, I have never seen a couple that was THAT close after the divorce with their conditions (they are not the kind of people who can't afford different addresses like many other couples that keep living "together" after separating), I mean, Sarah could have gone to live to Australia for example or to Continental Europe after their daughters were grown up but they kept living in the same place out of their own choice, even when both Bea and Eugenie were long gone from the family home.

Also, Andrew could have easily fixed alternative living arrangements for Sarah if he didn't want her to be close.

It might be the "romantic" in me, but that's how I see it.

Like I said, only time will tell, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm not but I do see them staying together till old age, in a married or divorced capacity, it doesn't matter.

Sarah would probably like to remarry Andrew, but I doubt he wants to marry her... He is still fond of her and loyal to her, but if he still wants to marry her, all I can say is that he has amused himself then with an awful lot of other women along the way.....Sarah doesn't live with him cheek by jowl all the time. She is away on her own business and so is he.

Sarah also knows very well that should she remarry Andrew, she'd be right back in the public spotlight again with the expectations of working for the Firm and sponsor charities and have patronages that don't conflict with her royal role.

If you follow Iluvbertie's calculations on the engagements of the BRF, you'll know that Andrew works a lot for the Firm and Sarah would be expected to work in tandem with him in many areas.

As things stand right now, we have no clue how Andrew and Sarah feel about each other, how much time they do spend together and when they spend time together. They both have their own active lives and go their own way for the most part. It works for them and I don't see them changing that.

but she would have the financial and other security that she threw away, In walking out of her marriage.

I found it interesting that Andrew said at Eugenie's wedding in his speech of the bride's father that he will "break the rules of the House of York" and then cuddled Jack in front of all, including the queen.

When was this said, and what confirmation do you have of it?

Frankly I don't see why Sarah would want to remarry Andrew when it comes with so much strife, right now she has the best of both. Andrew but no hassle the RF brings.

but she would have the financial and other security that she threw away, In walking out of her marriage.

There is financial security and then there is financial security. I recall first hand the fuss over how costly Di and Fergie both were when married. The could not do anything without travel, frocks, choice of school, auto, etc. being picked apart.

In her current role, since the Queen is not picking up the tab (officially) for Sarah, no one cares much except when she does something unseemly to raise cash or whatever.

Were they to remarry, the question of her finances would once again be front and center. Along with the question of her working royal status. That would be a huge can of worms. And it is just my belief that Sarah would never be asked to be a working royal again. Which would be a public embarrassment to all involved to even raise the issue. Because no one looks good in that discussion.

Andrew and Sarah are really quite practical in their current domestic arrangement. It's the smartest thing they have both ever done, IMO.

Of course she woudlnt. Even if she remarried Andrew, no one would want to see her doing engagements...

Of course she woudlnt. Even if she remarried Andrew, no one would want to see her doing engagements...

And if they remarried, I get the feeling no one would want to see him doing engagements either. :whistling:

I think Sarah prefers her current life. She thus has more freedom, without the pressure of being a member of the Royal Family. And so I guess she would not agree to remarry Andrew.
And I think Sarah has the life she always wanted to have.

A curiosity: When was the last time Andrew and Sarah appeared together as a couple?

Basically, I see what Andrew said that within his family (House of Windsor), it isn't normally done to hug and embrace each other in public but within his own household, it is. It shows the closeness of the York family to each other and the fact that Andrew hugged Jack, shows he's been totally brought into the family fold. I find it refreshing. Then again, I'm a hugger.

This has allowed me to see a different Andrew than I normally see. ……. but seeing him at his daughter's wedding showed him to be a very loving daddy where his family is concerned. No wonder he has the happiest divorce on earth and has been able to maintain such a good relationship with Sarah. Its a clear case of putting family first.

I also was delighted to see him fussing over Eugenie, helping with the train and all. A few of the photos of the day really conveyed a lovely side of him.

Well I used to think Andrew and Sarah could remarry, but now I think it would be too much of a strain on Sarah. She doesn't fit with people's conception of royal life, she never will. I noticed she kept to the background at Eugenie's wedding, probably because she had been advised to. And if rumour is true she wouldn't be welcomed by many in Andrew's family.

It is sad though, because I do think it is more likely that they are romantically involved. I think they would have remarried a long time ago if Andrew were not royal. If you saw the photos from Royal Ascot this past summer, Andrew and Sarah were acting too close to be just friends who live together. I think they have some relationship that works for them in which Sarah is kept out of Andrew's public life, but they see each other at home.

Back
Top Bottom