Andrew & Sarah: Marriage, Divorce and Divorce Settlement

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe she also attended the memorial for the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

I think that it's best if the royal family continues to ignore Sarah, though - or else gives her a very clear choice: in, or out. If she's "in" the royal family, no more interviews, no more media appearances, no books, no publicity. If she's "out", then no invites to royal events. Otherwise Sarah will continue to try to have the best of both worlds, and damage the royal family in the process.

It seems that another settlement with a binding gag order will be the only way to get her to stop, though I wonder if Sarah would take it. You know it'd have to be something large to catch her interest but she seems too addicted to the spotlight. Would she give up her ability to bring attention to herself?

On top of that, part of her must know that she's able to blow through large amounts of money, so would she gamble and sign away her ability to profit off the BRF knowing that she'd be left up a creek without a paddle if she didn't manage her money correctly?

Agreed.

The problem with any settlement is ensuring that it is not spent all at once or frittered away.

As for reaching out to Sarah, a good idea in theory: In my humble opinion, I just feel that if Sarah had NOT got into terrible debt last year and if Sarah had NOT got involved in the 'Cash for Access' scandal, then possibly she might have been invited to Catherine and William's wedding on the basis that weddings are sometimes a good time for reconciliations to begin etc etc........

I personally think that the Royal Household will come to the conclusion that Sarah can't exist in a form of financial limbo, especially as her earning powers seem - at least to me - to have been effectively curtailed by her admissions in the Oprah interviews. The Diamond Jubilee is fast approaching [the planning has been underway for some months] and I think that steps will now have to be taken to make sure that the focus does not at any time fall on Sarah during the 2012 celebrations: Under English law I don't really think there are grounds for re-negotiating her divorce settlement and so all that I reckon that althlough Sarah might not seem to deserve this sort of benefit, what could possibly happen is that the Queen agrees a type of arrangement along the lines of what she did for that other major Royal embarrasment Marina Mowatt nee Ogilvy, who now lives quietly in a Queen-provided grace and favour house of modest standard near Windsor: so far as Sarah is concerned, I think that she should be provided with a similar property to live in and receive a modest monthly sum by way of living expenses, everything provided on the basis that she agrees to give up her commercial 'cashing in on her Royal connections' status and also agrees not to use the style Sarah, Duchess of York [or similiar]: pehaps she should just be called Sarah Windsor: it is a not uncommon-surname here in England

Alex

Last edited:
I hope that something like this is worked out with the full understanding that there are no bail-outs for Sarah should she go into debt. I think that Sarah's whole identity is wrapped up in being Sarah, Duchess of York, and so I fear that any attempt to stop her from using that style could cause a total breakdown. She simply wouldn't know who she was anymore IMO. OTOH that could be a positive thing because it would make serious treatment necessary for her.

... I think that she should be provided with a similar property to live in and receive a modest montly sum by way of living expenses, everything provided on the basis that she agrees to give up her commercial 'cashing in on her Royal connections' status and also agrees not to use the style Sarah, Duchess of York [or similiar]: pehaps she should just be called Sarah Windsor: it is a not uncommon-surname here in England

I believe she also attended the memorial for the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

Yes, quite right Zonk. Actually, the reason why I think that people forget that Sarah was at the Queen Mother's Funeral [by the way, I hope you don't mind me pointing it out, but we Brits tend to use the word 'Memorial' in the UK to refer to specific memorial services that are usually held for people [almost always 'important' public figures] a few months after the funeral of the particular person - such Memorial Services, whilst full of quiet dignity, are intended as form of celebration of a life well lived] was because she was seated away from the rest of the BRF including Andrew and her daughters. I do not know whether this is true or not but apparently had been the compromise reached with Prince Philip, who felt that Sarah should not have been invited - although of course we have no way of knowing whether that is true or not.......

Sarah was reputedly asked to the service organised in 2007 to commerate the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, but made a point of telling the press that she was turning that invitation down because 'she knew that the BRF did not really want her there and that she would have been unwelcome'

Hope this helps

Alex

I personally think that the Royal Household will come to the conclusion that Sarah can't exist in a form of financial limbo, especially as her earning powers seem - at least to me - to have been effectively curtailed by her admissions in the Oprah interviews.

Does anyone think that Sarah has done this deliberately - that she decided she wanted to be "rescued" by the royal family and that until then, she'd just go through the motions and pretend to be a victim? I don't know, but it seems to me that until last year, Sarah always portrayed herself as a fighter, someone who would get back up again from her mistakes and who didn't need the royal family to survive. Now she is portraying herself as a victim, broken and lost - someone who can't cope with life.

Does anyone think that Sarah has done this deliberately - that she decided she wanted to be "rescued" by the royal family and that until then, she'd just go through the motions and pretend to be a victim? I don't know, but it seems to me that until last year, Sarah always portrayed herself as a fighter, someone who would get back up again from her mistakes and who didn't need the royal family to survive. Now she is portraying herself as a victim, broken and lost - someone who can't cope with life.

Now you have really got me thinking rmay, and I don't know if I'll be ever any the wiser. I totally see where you are coming from, and her fighting spirit doesn't seem to be there at the moment so a part of me agrees with you. However, on the other hand if the RF family told her they would buy her a $2 million mansion of her choice in the country of her choice, and offered her a monthly/yearly allowance to match the highest paid sports stars in the US I woudn't be at all certain she would accept the deal.

The other question is what sort of rescueing might Sarah want; (a) the type of scenario above or (b) a reunion with Andrew or does she even know the answer to that question herself?

Good Points, Irish Eyes....

Sometimes, when considering what Sarah has reportedly been saying on Oprah, you would think that the Divorce from Andrew was almost akin to some sort of unfortunate illness that strikes, instead of the consequence of Sarah's various infidelities. I am sure that if Andrew was to propose marriage that Sarah would accept like a shot..........but unless and until a more suitable jet-set companion in the Steve Wyatt mode came along again..........

Alex

If hse were to remarry Andrew, she would just bring chaos and problems with her again. She is addicted to the highest bank account possible and I wonder if she would stay faithful. Money is her main interest, not love or even respectability.

rmay, I can believe that once she fell she chose not to get up. She knew she was in deep trouble, she had been denying being in financial peril for months before the CFA scandal, so when it all came out she didn't try to save herself. Kinda pointless when you've lost all credibility and you have a man with access to money wrapped around your little finger.

Sadly I think that is true. Also I don't think any amount will quench her thirst for money. The more she has the more she spends and I don't think any amount will be enough for her. I don't see her going the way of Marina and accepting a modest house and income Sarah will want a huge house and income and it will never be enough. She will still get herself into debt if the family don't stop her getting credit. A strict monthly allowance and no credit could be the only option. If they gave her enough to pay the bills and for her to be comfortable the problem I see is that the Royal Familys version of comfortable and her version won't meld. Not so sure how marrying Andrew would help for starters I'm not so sure he wants her as a wife again, it also seems she has some enemies in the family itself and I don't think giving her back her status will stop her overspending! I do think she is now going down the victim path gone is the strong woman who can do anything I think she has decided it is easier and financially rewarding to be the victim. As per usual she hasn't thought ahead to what this will do to her brand in the future. The family inviting her to events will just give her more to talk about especially if she gets near Catherine! I agree I also don't think she will remain faithfull to Andrew he is the same man she cheated on and it is the same lifestyle she wanted out of except for the money and status that comes with it. I don't think it will ever be enough for Sarah she is going to always want more I think the family are in a no win situation because Sarah will always whine if she feels she isn't getting what she feels she deserves!

She's unlikely to change much at this point, and perhaps Andrew can keep more of a rein on her by being unmarried but still offering housing (etc) than by totally ignoring her. Who knows what his goals are, here.

She is spending a lot of time on the TV screen emphasizing what *she* wants from life (although in a somewhat incoherent manner). She's also demonstrating it. I wonder if Andrew and the princesses will actually watch the show...

Sadly I think that is true. Also I don't think any amount will quench her thirst for money. The more she has the more she spends and I don't think any amount will be enough for her. I don't see her going the way of Marina and accepting a modest house and income Sarah will want a huge house and income and it will never be enough. She will still get herself into debt if the family don't stop her getting credit. A strict monthly allowance and no credit could be the only option. If they gave her enough to pay the bills and for her to be comfortable the problem I see is that the Royal Familys version of comfortable and her version won't meld. Not so sure how marrying Andrew would help for starters I'm not so sure he wants her as a wife again, it also seems she has some enemies in the family itself and I don't think giving her back her status will stop her overspending! I do think she is now going down the victim path gone is the strong woman who can do anything I think she has decided it is easier and financially rewarding to be the victim. As per usual she hasn't thought ahead to what this will do to her brand in the future. The family inviting her to events will just give her more to talk about especially if she gets near Catherine! I agree I also don't think she will remain faithfull to Andrew he is the same man she cheated on and it is the same lifestyle she wanted out of except for the money and status that comes with it. I don't think it will ever be enough for Sarah she is going to always want more I think the family are in a no win situation because Sarah will always whine if she feels she isn't getting what she feels she deserves!

I agree, the only thing is fewer and fewer people care about her whining and she will be whining in an empty room, so to speak. She has truly worn out her welcome and there comes a point when people just are not interested in what she has to say.

I've been rereading Sarah's "My Story," and she tells in there about having a job, paying for renting a room and not being able to pay her parking tickets and wearing skirts that a friend of hers discarded. She admits that she spent her income on jazz clubs and restaurants. So this inability to budget was there before she ever got involved with Andrew. She was also receiving an allowance from her father at the time.

The only solution I can see to the problem of Sarah is for Prince Andrew to become besotted with some suitable woman and marry her, he will then get Sarah and her problems into the correct perspective. Her daughters will always be his daughters and will occupy the space in his life that daughters do, ex wives in the civilized world are treated with respect but are kept distant. That is what I hope Prince Andrew will do, respect her, respect himself, love his daughters but put Sarah out of his emotional life, she has a place but it is of an ex wife who to be frank was the guilty party.

Um.....I'm not a mod, but is it possible that we are straying away from the subject of the divorce settlement, and more into current events/reflections?

Then again, so much of this is an outgrowth of the divorce settlement - Sarah insisting that she got nothing and the facts being to the contrary, that perhaps it is on target.

Just a musing from a coffee-laden mind.

Last edited:
The only solution I can see to the problem of Sarah is for Prince Andrew to become besotted with some suitable woman and marry her, he will then get Sarah and her problems into the correct perspective. Her daughters will always be his daughters and will occupy the space in his life that daughters do, ex wives in the civilized world are treated with respect but are kept distant. That is what I hope Prince Andrew will do, respect her, respect himself, love his daughters but put Sarah out of his emotional life, she has a place but it is of an ex wife who to be frank was the guilty party.

I've just read with interest your opinion expat, and I'm sure many would agree with it. I think part of the reason Andrew and Sarah remain so emotionally attached is because there has always been this air of unfinished business between them IMO. Perhaps if they had given their relationship another go at some point they mightn't be in this sort of limbo land today. From what I've read prior to their divorce (not separation) they had become very close again and were enjoying time as a family.
There was also a point maybe a few years after their divorce where even the media were writing articles encouraging the Queen to invite Sarah for Christmas. Results of polls carried out suggested that the public would have supported a reunion. Maybe by trying again they would have found out if they were meant to be once and for all. As regards the future (and this isn't me being an old romantic) but Andrew has only one life and if having Sarah around as the main woman in his life (so to speak) is what he wants and makes him happy then he has a right to that choice even if it doesn't suit everybody. We can't help who we care about.

I hope you will appreciate these are only my opinons.

Some valid point IE and thank you for sharing.........

I think that I am going to have to do a cut and paste job, otherwise I will find myself taking the thread off topic, too. I am interested in the concept of Andrew wanting Sarah around - with Beatrice quoted on another thread as saying Andrew is lonely at home, I rather get the impression that Sarah is really nothing more than a lodger in a large house with 30 plus bedrooms.

Alex

Some valid point IE and thank you for sharing.........

I think that I am going to have to do a cut and paste job, otherwise I will find myself taking the thread off topic, too. I am interested in the concept of Andrew wanting Sarah around - with Beatrice quoted on another thread as saying Andrew is lonely at home, I rather get the impression that Sarah is really nothing more than a lodger in a large house with 30 plus bedrooms.

Alex

I best leave it at this Diarist before I geta slap but Re: Beatrice I think it was referring to her interview around Andrew's 50th. She did say it would be nice for him if he had someone which is a natural enough comment, but I don't think she meant to suggest he was lonely or unhappy with his life.
Perhaps you might actually need to know Beatrice to read her facial expression and tone of voice to judge her in interviews etc.
I read a story in People magazine (not sure how reliable they usually are) that when Sarah was going to the US for an extended book tour last month her flight was a late one, according to them they had tea together and Andrew stayed up "to see her off". That sounds friendly (if true of course) but they wouldn't be under each other's feet in a house like that.

I best finish before Zonk gives out to me.
I really love your posts.

You have a lot of information, Irish Eyes! I'm impressed at your ability to spot Sarah-and-Andrew related news :)

This is very off-topic for the thread, but I also remember that Beatrice's statement was during Andrew's 50th birthday interview for Sky News. If I remember the chain of events right, Eugenie had given a Tatler interview where she said about her parents, "They are the best divorced couple I know," and of her dad, "He is the best dad." The reporter from Sky News asked Andrew how he thought his daughters might describe him, and he said, "Well, I understand they have described me as the best dad, or the best single dad, or something like that." The reporter then interviewed Beatrice, and Beatrice laughed and said, "Yes, I guess I could go along with that. It would be nice for him not to be single, but it's so great because I have him all to myself."

And that was it - no references to Andrew being lonely. He might be lonely or he might not be - who knows?

The interesting thing to me is that with this change in Andrew's role, he will be in Britain a lot more. Likewise, we all know that speaking engagements and public appearances aren't going to sprout up across the world anymore for Sarah. Both of them are going to be spending a lot more time in Britain; and Sarah has made it clear, I think, that she has no intentions of leaving Royal Lodge (and Andrew has no intentions of asking her to leave). What's more, Sarah is making it clear that she wants a second chance with Andrew. So we have a divorced couple who are probably going to be living together indefinitely, and at least one of them seems to want to give the relationship a second chance. That is what's interesting to me. It can't go on this way forever- any more than Sarah can live in denial about her finances forever. I mean, I don't see Andrew and Sarah living together "as friends" when they're 70 years old. Something will happen eventually, whether they move on from each other or get back together.

The thing is, Sarah simply wasn't smart and really hasn't been too smart before her marriage to Andrew. She never lived within her means, she never made friends that she had things in common with, and she never did see how much she had, except in comparison to Diana who quite frankly had a much more difficult time since she (Diana) was so young when she married. Sarah could have at her young age learned serious skills, ended up living a solidly respectable life with a solid career and then she could have ended up with plenty in her bank account by the time she married Andrew. Then she could have ended up making money on the side while married and then lived a perfectly comfortable life. But she simply isn't smart when it comes to making choices, and with life in general. She has never been practical and has lived life as if there will always be a backup or someone willing to pick up the tab.

When she was working on her divorce, she could have held out for more than she was given and then used that money to renew her skill set and then work on a solid job, while doing her other ventures as a sideline. Then she would be sitting in a nice home of her own, living on a fat bank account with income generated from responsible investments and then at some point, finding a nice guy to live her life with and I think if hse had done these things, she could have snagged even a titled man from a dethroned royal family and enjoyed life to the full. She has never at any point acted in a practical manner. Jackie O. ended up doing just as I've just written and now look at how well she lived life. Sarah had more than enough to build on and I don't think that she is going to do that at this point in her age. Her personality is set and she has too many enablers.

Some very good and interesting points AristoCat.

The only point that I am having difficulty with is whether Sarah could have 'held out for more' in her divorce settlement. In English divorce settlements, the means of the parties have to be taken into account, but there is no requirement for one's mother-in-law to fund a settlement; which the queen generously did for Sarah [see the earllier post in this thread.] Legally therefore, I don't think that Sarah had a chance of getting a penny more than she did.

The situation (i.e. the generous award made to Sarah) is often obfuscuated by Sarah herself, for at times she has denied receiving any money at all [For example, the Fake Sheikh tape in which Sarah says she needs the money because she got nothing in her divorce settlement, although after a little prompting she in fact revises this figure upwards to £15,000, which in itself is still a few millions short of the true figure.]

The Queen gave Sarah a large capital lump sum which was hers to do with as she pleased; it would have been a canny use of a tiny part of the money she had been given to have used a couple of thousand pounds to upgrade her secretarial skills. Remember that after leaving school, she did a year's secretarial course at the exclusive Queen's Secretarial College in London, a place teeming with aristocratic young gels - the Queen Mother's niece Margaret Rhodes had received her secretarial training there a generation previously. Sarah studied shorthand, typing and general office skills; she came 'joint bottom' of the class in her studies, but still obtained her certificates.] Had Sarah retrained, she could have found reasonably well-paid work in a host of what, for a better word, I would say are 'upper crust' institutions: she could have worked in well-paid roles for the smarter property companies, for a stockbroker in the City, in one of the better paid Auctioneers etc. She could also have worked for a Charity, a socially impeccable job for someone in her position - the pay would not have been that good in a not-for-profit organisation, but it would have been perfectly adequate and indeed more than sufficient to supplement her divorce settlement. Indeed, she could have afforded to have worked part-time, leaving her an opportunity to concentrate on her other interests. And had she been a diligent employee, there would have been opportunities to progress - over the years I am sure many of us here have have seen people use their secretarial skills as a springboard to a better paid career; I myself have seeen many secretaries work their way up to 'Executive Assistants' and then become professionally qualified in their own fields: e.g. the bright secretary in Marketing who studies in her job to become a member of the Institute of Marketing, the bright secretarial assistant to a stockbroker who takes her Stock Exchange exams. The possibilities of advancement were all there for Sarah and she had the means in her divorce settlement to have taken the first steps in the direction of a fulfilling career.

But, as AristoCat says, Sarah chose not to go down this route and had too many enablers.

Just my thoughts, which are my own opinions and not meant to offend [and I am just about to go off racing now, hopefully for a bit of Royal Spotting if I am very lucky!]

Alex

Last edited:
I think that would have been a great idea but I believe Sarah's own belief in what a Duchess does and doesn't do wouldn't have even considered doing an actual job as such. Sarah seemed to feel very entitled back then as she does now and that sort of work would have been beneath her. Sarah has fibbed to everyone about the divorce settlement I think she believes if she says something enough then it must be true! It doesn't suit her to be honest and say I blew the divorce settlement much better to say she got nothing and get the sympathy she seems to really wallow in! Always having trouble with finances as has been shown even in her pre Andrew days makes think it isn't going to change and I would be surprised if she wasn't already getting trouble again.

As an underscore to this....I don't think the Queen can be held responsible for Sarah frittering away her chances in life. Although somehow, I think that Sarah believes that Andrew and by extension HM continues to owe her a good life in perpetuity.

Does anyone remember the leaked phone call between Andrew and Sarah?

This is a quote from The Morton Report about the taped phone conversations in the 1990s. "Several months later a mobile call between Prince Andrew and his disaffected wife, Sarah Ferguson, then Duchess of York became public."

Does anyone remember this? It came after Squigygate and Camillagate.

Murdoch's World Ends -- Princess Di's Revenge from Beyond the Grave - The Morton Minute

As an underscore to this....I don't think the Queen can be held responsible for Sarah frittering away her chances in life. Although somehow, I think that Sarah believes that Andrew and by extension HM continues to owe her a good life in perpetuity.
I think you are correct in this NaP. Which makes me awfully interested in what King Charles would do in this situation when HRH steps into it.

The possibilities of advancement were all there for Sarah and she had the means in her divorce settlement to have taken the first steps in the direction of a fulfilling career.
IMO, Sarah would have found that too boring and time consuming. And waaaay too logical.

I think you are correct in this NaP. Which makes me awfully interested in what King Charles would do in this situation when HRH steps into it.

Lately, I've been wondering if Charles is being given a louder voice in decisions regarding the family. The decision that the two princesses would not be working members of the family and would be seeking employment outside the firm...made me wonder. That sounds more like Charles than HM. Sarah could be walking on thin ice at the moment. What do you think?

I would not be surprised at all if that is true, after all the POW has made it pretty clear that he is interested in downsizing. Given that the older royals are nearing their end of service it would also seem an appropriate way to really slim things down if the York girls were more on their own. If they are not then the family can look forward to their marriages and then families with more "dependents". I guess it has to start somewhere and doing so at this point when they are just entering the adult world would seem like a good time.

As for her divorce settlement, the only monies taken legally into consideration are the assets that Andrew has personally owned, that being his army salary and any money from investments. It's how the RF works, the members live off of what HM has to give or what they make from employment. They don't all live off of a central family trust fund and when they do draw on it, they pretty much do it only rarely. It's why Charles had more to give to Diana and why Andrew had so little.

If/when HM dies, when Charles takes over there will be a firmer way of dealing with Fergie when she messes up. If the princesses become normal workers, then it's more likely than not that the princesses will be a lot less tolerant of their mother living off of their trust funds or income they make. Once Charles is Sovereign, then he will never allow Andrew and Fergie to remarry and there is next to no chance that Charles would ever consent. I think Fergie is going to be left behind to fend for herself all the more once HM dies.

Back
Top Bottom