A Wife for Prince Andrew, Duke of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nagging feeling that neither will ever re-marry (other people). I simply cannot see it happening. Andrew and Sarah could both have moved on and had second families by now so either they're still in love with eachother or no one in their right mind will commit to them. It's ironic that Andrew is vaguely the most attractive of the four siblings yet is the only one un-married - he reminds me of Prince Albert of Monaco in someways.

This is funny :lol: and I tend to agree. Esp. about Sarah. Tho I'm sure (dare I say it) that P Andrew has his own relationship issues as well. Maybe this is why is seems to be throwing himself into his work; to keep loneliness at bay.

Sarah would be the ever-present ex-wife, and Andrew would be the husband talking about how wonderful his ex-wife is. :lol:

This is funny :lol: and I tend to agree. Esp. about Sarah. Tho I'm sure (dare I say it) that P Andrew has his own relationship issues as well. Maybe this is why is seems to be throwing himself into his work; to keep loneliness at bay.

Sarah would be the ever-present ex-wife, and Andrew would be the husband talking about how wonderful his ex-wife is. :lol:
I can't imagine talking about my ex in dulcet tones and vice versa. He'll probably cheese me off and then that leg would go FLYING!!!
I was interested in that gal Andrew was seeing, she seemed nice enough, the business woman nobody knew about. :rolleyes:

While she was married to Prince Andrew, Sarah's full style was:
Her Royal Highness, The Princess Andrew Albert Christian Edward, Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh

When they divorced, she became "Sarah, Duchess of York". She lost the HRH and the "The" which is very important. If Andrew were to remarry, his new wife would be HRH The Duchess of York. I know there is a post somewhere in the Sarah threads that explains all of this, but I'm not quite sure where it is.

Janet, I thought to be accorded the "The Princess" one had to be the daughter of a monarch, not married into the family? For example The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon or The Princess Royal? It's quite possible I'm having a senior moment though...

Janet, I thought to be accorded the "The Princess" one had to be the daughter of a monarch, not married into the family? For example The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon or The Princess Royal? It's quite possible I'm having a senior moment though...

No senior moment, Scooter! You're completely right. I didn't say that Srah became Princess Sarah because she never became Princess Sarah, just as Diana was never actually Princess Diana style wise. They both carried the styles of their husbands--Sarah was officically HRH The Princess Andrew Albert Christian Edward etc... and Diana was officially known as
Her Royal Highness The Princess Charles Philip Arthur George, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland
but neither of them were ever actual Princesses becaue they were not Princesses of the blood. You have to remember, when a woman marries she automatically carries the feminine version of her husband's style. This is one of the key elements in the discussion about Camilla's future title when Charles ascends the throne.

Again Sarah's full style when married was Her Royal Highness, The Princess Andrew Albert Christian Edward, Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh but she was known as HRH The Duchess of York. When they divorced she lost the HRH and the "The" and became "Sarah, Duchess of York" in much the same way that Diana lost her official styles and became "Diana, Princess of Wales" rather than "HRH The Princess of Wales".
In short, neither the HRH nor the "The" was no longer applicable to them because if Andrew or Charles were to remarry the "HRH" and the "The" denote a royal style/title and their new wives would have posession of the important aspects (HRH and the "The") of their husbands' styles.

Janet, I thought to be accorded the "The Princess" one had to be the daughter of a monarch, not married into the family?

I'm pretty sure wives of sons of the monarch get to use the "the" too. I'll have to do some searching about that, though.

I'm pretty sure wives of sons of the monarch get to use the "the" too. I'll have to do some searching about that, though.
'

Not really as they aren't princesses in their own right.

e.g. None of Diana, Sarah, Sophie nor Camilla are/were Princess Diana, Princess Sarah, Princess Sophie or Princess Camilla in their own right.

They only take the feminine form of their husband's title and do NOT gain a title for themselves.

Hence when divorced both Diana and Sarah lost the titles/styles that they gained when they married. What had been their titles became effectively their surnames.

Thus Diana was never The Princess Diana as she was never Princess Diana so the 'The' was never applicable.

The only way they have a 'The Princess' is if using the feminine of thier husband's names - hence The Princess Charles, The Princess Andrew, The Princess Edward. Had Charles, Andrew or Edward not had, or been given, additional titles at their marriage then that is how their wives would have been known. (Diana and Camilla as The Princess Charles, Sarah as The Princess Andrew and Sophie as The Princess Edward). They would have the 'The' as the wife of the son of the monarch but not in their own right.

e.g. None of Diana, Sarah, Sophie nor Camilla are/were Princess Diana, Princess Sarah, Princess Sophie or Princess Camilla in their own right.

I thought scooter was asking about the "the" in front of "Princess Andrew."

I can't see either Andrew or Sarah remarrying, either. They seem to not really be together, yet not really apart. For some reason, I think this seems to suit them both.

While she was married to Prince Andrew, Sarah's full style was:
Her Royal Highness, The Princess Andrew Albert Christian Edward, Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh

When they divorced, she became "Sarah, Duchess of York". She lost the HRH and the "The" which is very important. If Andrew were to remarry, his new wife would be HRH The Duchess of York. I know there is a post somewhere in the Sarah threads that explains all of this, but I'm not quite sure where it is.

Yes, I was. New wife (or old for that matter) would not be 'The' Princess X, unless of course, she happened to be the daughter of a monarch, right?

She was The Princess Andrew, taking the female form of his titles and style. The all import "The" was a reference to Andrew's title, not her own.

Yes, I was. New wife (or old for that matter) would not be 'The' Princess X, unless of course, she happened to be the daughter of a monarch, right?

Sort of. The New Wife (or the Retread) would be HRH The Princess Andrew, under all circumstances.

Let's say Andrew married Madeline of Sweden. She would be HRH The Princess Madeline, The Princess Andrew, etc. etc.

But if he married, say, Chelsea Clinton, her title would be HRH The Princess Andrew etc etc, but never The Princess Chelsea, etc etc.

At this point, the only way I see Andrew as remarrying is if Sarah died or remarried first; I can see where any potential wife would shy away from the third-wheel aspect of marrying all the Yorks, present and past, not just The Duke of York. I understand civility in divorce, especially if there are children; my first marriage dissolved and was annulled, and my former husband and I even invited each other to our subsequent weddings. (I hasten to add that we each met our future partners years after the dissolution, literally in other states; I know that isn't the case in several recent Royal marriages :whistling:) But I think Sarah and Andrew take this to a whole different level...it's not civility, it's something else entirely.

I would support a marriage between them. I rather like Sarah.

Andrew is having his cake and eating it, too --- dating lots of beautiful women with no strings attached - a great bachelor life - why remarry?
As for Sarah - remarry and lose what royal title she has left and become a plain "Mrs."?
Her Duchess of York title (such as it is) is her meal ticket and entree in the high life and it certainly helps with her charity work - keeps her high profile. Remarriage? Never!

Andrew is having his cake and eating it, too --- dating lots of beautiful women with no strings attached - a great bachelor life - why remarry?
As for Sarah - remarry and lose what royal title she has left and become a plain "Mrs."?
Her Duchess of York title (such as it is) is her meal ticket and entree in the high life and it certainly helps with her charity work - keeps her high profile. Remarriage? Never!
I think you're absolutely right with this, pamk. Esp. regarding Sarah and her title. I was going to say that P Andrew might marry again if he ever feel madly in love, but then I stopped myself 'cuz I don't know if he's really capable of falling in love. I don't know if any of HM's children are. Seems to me they all have relationship issues. Even Charles. I don't doubt he loves Camilla but being madly in love?? I think it's more along the lines of a good fit and of course she's always been supportive of him. I tend to think that's how it is w all of them. I dunno . . . I tend to think these royal marriages are more for convenience, producing heirs and a 'we-get-along-well-and-he/she-will-do' type of thing. I think HM was madly in love w Philip when they wed but after that, her children - unfortunately - not so much.

If Prince Andrew remarries it'll be very confusing having two Duchesses of York

I think HM was madly in love w Philip when they wed but after that, her children - unfortunately - not so much.
I think they, like the rest of society today, all started out with the best of intentions and a belief that they were "in love". Just like a very large proportion of the population, it didn't stand the test of time. :ermm:

The days of dynastic marriages are well behind us thank heavens. :flowers:

I tend to think these royal marriages are more for convenience, producing heirs and a 'we-get-along-well-and-he/she-will-do' type of thing.

Me too. It's like "we're good friends, we can talk to one another, it's my duty to marry, so lets get hitch". Probably not along those lines but... you know.

Andrew and Sarah seemed to be really "hot for each other", I remember. There were stories about them canoodling in a gift shop while on their first tour here in Canada.:lol:

Me too. It's like "we're good friends, we can talk to one another, it's my duty to marry, so lets get hitch". Probably not along those lines but... you know.

It won't. I am sure the press will revert to referring to Sarah as the Duchess of Pork if she put on an extra ounce! :)

The media will enjoy themselves calling her the former wife, :D

I'm surprised that when she and Andrew divorced, the queen didn't give her another title, such as "The Countess of so and so"

Sarah doesn't have any title since her divorce. She is referred to as "Sarah, Duchess of York", but she is not actually Duchess of York anymore. It's just a style that's used for divorced wives of peers out of courtesy. So, Andrew's seond wife would be the only Duchess of York ;)

As for Queen granting Sarah a new title, I don't think it will happen. Not even Diana, mother of a future king, got a title after divorce and that certainly isn't a standard practice.

thrutfully, i don't think he will ever -remarried! he has 2 daughters grown up, and i belive he is in good relation with Sarah, i really don't think so!

Whenever I think of anyone marrying into the BRF, I remember this exchange from the movie "Love Actually:"

Colin: Exciting news!
Tony: What?
Colin: I've bought a ticket to the States. I'm off in three weeks.
Tony: No!
Colin: Yes! To a fantastic place called Wisconsin.
Tony: No!
Colin: Yes! Wisconsin babes, here comes Sir Colin! Whoo hoo!
Tony: No, Col! There are a few babes in America, I grant you, but they're already going out with rich, attractive guys.
Colin: Nah, Tone, you're just jealous. You know perfectly well that any bar anywhere in America contains ten girls more beautiful and more likely to have ### with me than the whole of the United Kingdom.
Tony: That is total bollocks. You've actually gone mad, now.
Colin: No, I'm wise. Stateside I am Prince William without the weird family.

While the above relates to William, I think it's equally applicable to Andrew.

For all the royal groupies that are out there, hoping to land a big fish or imagining that they are living vicariously via someone who did, there are a healthy number of those who woudn't consider it for the life of them.

I can't imagine he either is bereft of female companionship, or feels a sense of nostalgia for the extraordinary inane marriage that he did have. Why ruin a known-to-be-happy life, for the uncertainty of another marriage?

thrutfully, i don't think he will ever -remarried! he has 2 daughters grown up, and i belive he is in good relation with Sarah, i really don't think so!
I don't think he will either...I know some people thought that he and Sarah would eventually get back together again,but I just don't see it.

well i always thought that they still togethr some how, but this way they have the privacy that they did not have before! it is really wire not to know himm any affairs, he still a man with humman necesitiues!

I think their "arrangement" suits them both; he has the image of being a family man, but yet can live the life of a carefree bachelor. She is able to have the appearance of still being together with Prince Andrew, and therefore the appearance of still being a member of the RF, and can use this association, along with her still being called Duchess of York, to further her business interests. And their daughters had the advantage of growing up in a semi-intact family. Why would either one want to remarry, either to each other or to others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom