A Wife for Prince Andrew, Duke of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
Well just to play Devil's Advocate, Prince Andrew could renounce his royal titles and just be known as Andrew Windsor.

But would Sarah want him as a husband in that case? :lol:

Skydragon said:
But would Sarah want him as a husband in that case? :lol:

I don't think Sarah was too fond of the title.

On second thought, he probably wouldn't renounce his rights because he got quite testy when it was suggested that Beatrice and Eugenie be stripped of their royal titles.

If he renounced his royal titles, it could open the floodgates of stripping Beatrice and Euguenie theirs which he's not likely to want.

Zonk said:
Well...Charles and Camilla were in their late fifities when they married. And weren't Prince Betril and Princess Lillian of Sweden in their 50-60's as well. I think both couples stood the test of time and if Sarah is the one for Andrew....well never say never!:wub: Even if its not Sarah, why should Andrew spend the rest of his life alone because he is getting older? Maybe a part ofhim envies what his siblings have....a companion that can share in his work and personal interests.

I see what you mean about age, and I agree ~ true love really has no age limit. But Andrew's not spending his time alone, he's spending it with Sarah and his girls, albeit he and Sarah are not married. And perhaps that's the way it will always be.

My personal opinion is that if Andrew remarries it will be with Sarah. While his parents are alive (esp his dad) he will probably remain single.

Stellad

ysbel said:
If he renounced his royal titles, it could open the floodgates of stripping Beatrice and Euguenie theirs which he's not likely to want.

It would also mean an end to his 'career' and patronages of exclusive golf clubs.

I doubt that he will remarry his ex wife.

Lady Bluffton said:
I think Prince Andrew will remarry but only after his mother and father have passed away...and I think he will likely remarry Sarah.

yeah, i agree with you, but I think he will reamrry whe phillips passed away, the queen liked sarah but philips don't, I think like a good mother he queen want that her son be happy

Avareenah said:
Even though they obviously both see other people, I'm not sure that they are only "best friends" since their marriage was dissolved. It's a very odd set up, in my opinion.

I must agree. They seem to be what we call "friends with benefits". As long as they are all happy, go for it.

I think I will be devestated if Andrew marries anyone other than Sarah!
I'm sure she will be as well!

lashinka2002 said:
I think I will be devestated if Andrew marries anyone other than Sarah!

And I will be devastated if he re-marries her. It's one of my worst nightmares. (Well, not actually devastated...that's too strong a word...but definitely sick to my stomach).

sarah is the women for him, and they are in love yet, but may be they re-mary or not, sarah loved her freedon now, but when the ueen and phillips passed away the things will be very differents

Skydragon said:
It would also mean an end to his 'career' and patronages of exclusive golf clubs.

I doubt that he will remarry his ex wife.

I don't quite think Andrew is quite as mercenary as you make him out to be. Even if he were, I'm sure being an ex-prince could count on a few invitations to exclusive golf clubs. Look at the kind of invitations being an ex-Royal Duchess got Sarah?

No actually I think the one of Elizabeth's and Philip's children who is loyal and closest to his mother its got to be Andrew. I still remember the press conferences he gave from the burning Windsor Castle all while his marriage was crumbling around him. I think he had a lot of sympathy for Sarah even after being betrayed but when push came to shove and he had to choose, it was significant that he chose to remain at his mother's burning home and give her support rather than be with his wife and try to patch up his marriage.

I agree Andrew would never marry Sarah while his mother is alive but I don't think Prince Philip has anything to do with his decision. Now will he remarry Sarah after his mother died similar to how Charles married Camilla only after his darling granny the Queen Mum died? Its hard to say, but Camilla despite what she has done has the demeanour to make it work within the Royal Family. Sarah does not.

The only other example that I can think of is Prince Bertil who married Princess Lillian after his father died. But both Bertil and Lillian were incredibly discreet both before and after their marriage.

I am very fond of Sarah and quite honestly I think her sins are less than either Diana's or Camilla's but she lacks the fundamental quality that living in a thousand year old government institution requires and that is discretion. Poor Sarah she just can't handle it. She's right now 46 and if she's not discreet yet; she will never learn.

This lack of discretion is always going to be a handicap to the royal family who always needs to keep one eye out for public opinion and one eye out for politicians.

Sarah's lack of discretion may well be even a greater liability to the Royal Family once the Queen dies and Charles is on the throne for his place on the throne won't be as secure as his mother at least in the first few years and people will be looking for excuses to pull the Royal Family down.

People think Charles will be more sympathetic to Andrew and Sarah once he is King because of the ordeal that he faced in order to marry Camilla. On the contrary, I think because of the tenuous position he will have he may well be stricter than the Queen who at least is fond of Andrew. Charles and Andrew share no great love for each other. I'm not sure that Charles will put himself out for Andrew.

ysbel said:
I don't quite think Andrew is quite as mercenary as you make him out to be. Even if he were, I'm sure being an ex-prince could count on a few invitations to exclusive golf clubs. Look at the kind of invitations being an ex-Royal Duchess got Sarah?

No actually I think the one of Elizabeth's and Philip's children who is loyal and closest to his mother its got to be Andrew. I still remember the press conferences he gave from the burning Windsor Castle all while his marriage was crumbling around him. I think he had a lot of sympathy for Sarah even after being betrayed but when push came to shove and he had to choose, it was significant that he chose to remain at his mother's burning home and give her support rather than be with his wife and try to patch up his marriage.

I agree Andrew would never marry Sarah while his mother is alive but I don't think Prince Philip has anything to do with his decision. Now will he remarry Sarah after his mother died similar to how Charles married Camilla only after his darling granny the Queen Mum died? Its hard to say, but Camilla despite what she has done has the demeanour to make it work within the Royal Family. Sarah does not.

The only other example that I can think of is Prince Bertil who married Princess Lillian after his father died. But both Bertil and Lillian were incredibly discreet both before and after their marriage.

I am very fond of Sarah and quite honestly I think her sins are less than either Diana's or Camilla's but she lacks the fundamental quality that living in a thousand year old government institution requires and that is discretion. Poor Sarah she just can't handle it. She's right now 46 and if she's not discreet yet; she will never learn.

This lack of discretion is always going to be a handicap to the royal family who always needs to keep one eye out for public opinion and one eye out for politicians.

Sarah's lack of discretion may well be even a greater liability to the Royal Family once the Queen dies and Charles is on the throne for his place on the throne won't be as secure as his mother at least in the first few years and people will be looking for excuses to pull the Royal Family down.

People think Charles will be more sympathetic to Andrew and Sarah once he is King because of the ordeal that he faced in order to marry Camilla. On the contrary, I think because of the tenuous position he will have he may well be stricter than the Queen who at least is fond of Andrew. Charles and Andrew share no great love for each other. I'm not sure that Charles will put himself out for Andrew.

Bravo, ysbel. I agree with much of what you say about Sarah.

I, too, don't have anything against her as a private individual. I suspect that I would enjoy her company and I think her sincere in the charities and causes she supports. However, I can't respect her or think of her as a desirable member of the royal family as long as she contintues to make public pronouncements about them and her attitudes or feelings about them, particularly the Queen. She simply has no business doing that and it makes her look self-serving. As admirable as it may be that she has a successful career, I disagree with those that maintain this gives her some right or reason to be embraced by the family. Even though she is now 47, she still gives the impression of being giddy at the thought of having royal connections. If she would just keep a dignified silence on the subject and make it clear that that is her intention and then follow through, then I could begn to respect her.

Hi selrahc4,

I think its too strong for me to say I don't respect Sarah as a person. I do think she is a caring person but a little unwise and quite frankly most of the time I'd rather be around someone like that than someone who was totally discreet in public but really nasty on the inside.

I think though despite her big heart she's a bad fit for the Royal Family and both for her sake and their sake, they should remain as they are. I don't think they do each other any good.

So no, I don't see her as being remarried to Andrew.

I think he will remain single unless he finds a December romance when he's older. But I think Andrew like Sarah would have to let go and accept that he's getting older and find someone appropriate for his new life cycle. But men are much more reluctant to do that than women are so if Sarah is having problems acting her age, imagine how hard it is for Andrew, who as a man, is usually given more license to try to re-capture his youth.

ysbel said:

Sarah still uses the title, would anyone be that interested in plain old Mrs Windsor? It may get him the invitations, but not the patronages and he would have to get employment or watch his savings diminish in travel costs.

quite frankly most of the time I'd rather be around someone like that than someone who was totally discreet in public but really nasty on the inside
Do you know for sure that Sarah isn't nasty on the inside as well?

Skydragon said:
Sarah still uses the title, would anyone be that interested in plain old Mrs Windsor? It may get him the invitations, but not the patronages and he would have to get employment or watch his savings diminish in travel costs.

Do you know for sure that Sarah isn't nasty on the inside as well?

I think if she were truly nasty on the inside, she would have enough cunning to avoid some of the bad press that she received.

No, I think Sarah is simply a well-meaning idiot as far as public perception is concerned and I believe she is simply a public relations dunce and not a truly nasty human being because she has kept up a friendship with her ex-husband Andrew.

What man whose wife has fooled around on him very publicly would still have anything to do with her if she was a total witch?

Surely because of Sarah's actions, Andrew would have been well-excused to give his former wife the exceedingly cold shoulder but he hasn't.

As much as I like Andrew I don't believe he is into charity cases; I don't believe he would keep up a relationship with someone truly nasty over several years.

ysbel said:
INo, I think Sarah is simply a well-meaning idiot as far as public perception is concerned and I believe she is simply a public relations dunce and not a truly nasty human being . . .

I totally agree!

"quite frankly most of the time I'd rather be around someone like that than someone who was totally discreet in public but really nasty on the inside"

So are you saying that some, most or all people who prefer to be discreet in public are really nasty on the inside? :ermm:

Poor old Andrew, Sarah the 'well meaning idiot' can't even be evicted from Andrews life and possible wife, here!:rolleyes:

Could someone remind me of why Andrew and Sarah divorced?

After a considerable period of negative publicity for Sarah, she was involved with the scandals of her affair with her American "financial adviser" John Bryan, with the notorious "toe sucking" photos on the world's front pages and also a compromising relationship with another American, Steve Wyatt.

It is generally thought that, based on these exposes and her seeming inability to conform to royal life, she made the decision to end her marriage to Andrew - though it seems likely that this was done more to sever her connection with the royal family, rather than to Andrew himself.

Skydragon said:
So are you saying that some, most or all people who prefer to be discreet in public are really nasty on the inside? :ermm:

No, I just don't hold discretion up as an unquestioned virtue as you do. Discretion is a very useful quality to have but on its own it doesn't confer good character, or an inner sense of right and wrong. At most it confers a sense of what is appropriate outward behavior when in social situations.

I think discretion is virtue-inspecific; a discreet person can either be really nasty or really virtuous; an indiscreet person can either be really nasty or really virtuous. A nasty discreet person can hide their nastiness better than a nasty indiscreet person which is why nasty indiscreet people usually get found out faster.

Discretion by its very nature relates to one's outward appearance towards others and not one's soul.

I don't condemn sheer dumbness as harshly as others here and I don't condemn it in the way I condemn truly nasty behavior. And I still think she is indiscreet, misguided, but she is not a nasty person and I have seen enough truly nasty people in this world that this counts for something with me. It may not count for much with others but that's why we're all different.

I also have little sympathy for Andrew because he seems to enjoy the 'torture' Sarah is putting him through.

Last edited:
I know we are getting off topic...but what torture is Sarah putting Andrew through. I mean really! She may be throwing fits and demands that he invite her to certain events (that don't involve their children) or regusing to leave his home and find a new place to stay when she is in England. Those are just hypothetical statements as no one knows for sure. But he is a grown man right? I mean...what is she REALLY forcing him to do?

Zonk said:
I know we are getting off topic...but what torture is Sarah putting Andrew through. I mean really! She may be throwing fits and demands that he invite her to certain events (that don't involve their children) or regusing to leave his home and find a new place to stay when she is in England. Those are just hypothetical statements as no one knows for sure. But he is a grown man right? I mean...what is she REALLY forcing him to do?

Sorry Zonk, I was just being facetious. :lol: I know some people think its terrible what Sarah is putting Andrew through but as you see I don't share that opinion. He's a big boy and he can take care of himself.

Thanks Ysbel for the clarification. Its earlly on the East Coast, I am drinking my first cup of coffee and I am afraid I didn't see the sarcasm :)

But I will agree with the masses that Andrew will never remarry Sarah (not that they might not want to) but because of the restrictions of royal life. Everyone (except Phillip) might like her as a person but they don't want to go thru that again. She doesn't know the word discretion and how to restrain herself.

Sarah is like a puppy....constantly on the go, demanding attention and needing affection shown her way. It is who she is.

ysbel said:

But Bertil could not marry Lilian before because the old constitution would have forced him to give up his place in the succession and he could not do it when only young Carl Gustaf was there as heir and nobody else except Bertil as spare.

It was not the old king's death which allowed him to marry Lilian but the fact that parliament was about to change the laws of succession and the fact that the newly wed queen Silvia became pregnant so fast with an heir(ess). Thus the new king allowed the marriage and accepted Bertil's wife as princess of Sweden.

Jo of Palatine said:
But Bertil could not marry Lilian before because the old constitution would have forced him to give up his place in the succession and he could not do it when only young Carl Gustaf was there as heir and nobody else except Bertil as spare.

It was not the old king's death which allowed him to marry Lilian but the fact that parliament was about to change the laws of succession and the fact that the newly wed queen Silvia became pregnant so fast with an heir(ess). Thus the new king allowed the marriage and accepted Bertil's wife as princess of Sweden.

I totally agree with you Jo; however I think the King's death was the main event that precipitated a change in the laws of succession that you refer to. His Majesty's opinions on the matter was very well known.

ysbel said:
No, I just don't hold discretion up as an unquestioned virtue as you do.
I don't hold it up as an unquestioned virtue, but I do believe someone without any, is normally uncaring for the feelings of others. Most indiscreet people don't mind what they reveal, as long as they are the centre of attention.
I don't condemn sheer dumbness as harshly as others here and I don't condemn it in the way I condemn truly nasty behavior. And I still think she is indiscreet, misguided, but she is not a nasty person and I have seen enough truly nasty people in this world that this counts for something with me. It may not count for much with others but that's why we're all different.
Just because she doesn't mean to cause trouble or upset, doesn't make it all right, IMO.
I also have little sympathy for Andrew because he seems to enjoy the 'torture' Sarah is putting him through.
I don't think anyone has said it is torture for him, What I am saying is that she is taking advantage of his inability, for whatever reason, to tell her to get packing.

Skydragon said:
I don't think anyone has said it is torture for him, What I am saying is that she is taking advantage of his inability, for whatever reason, to tell her to get packing.
Somehow I don't think he is trying too hard to get rid of her! :ROFLMAO:
If he wanted I am sure he would and he could, but lets face it, he is in the perfect situation, not married yet not exactly single either! :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
MARG said:
If he wanted I am sure he would and he could, but lets face it, he is in the perfect situation, not married yet not exactly single either! :whistling:
Everything on tap so to speak. :lol: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Avareenah said:
After a considerable period of negative publicity for Sarah, she was involved with the scandals of her affair with her American "financial adviser" John Bryan, with the notorious "toe sucking" photos on the world's front pages and also a compromising relationship with another American, Steve Wyatt.

It is generally thought that, based on these exposes and her seeming inability to conform to royal life, she made the decision to end her marriage to Andrew - though it seems likely that this was done more to sever her connection with the royal family, rather than to Andrew himself.

Thanks for the reply.

I will assume that during all this, Andrew was a complete angel! ;)

Skydragon said:
I don't hold it up as an unquestioned virtue, but I do believe someone without any, is normally uncaring for the feelings of others. Most indiscreet people don't mind what they reveal, as long as they are the centre of attention.

That's an interesting point of view skydragon. I hadn't thought of Sarah as particularly liking or seeking attention; Diana gave me the impression of basking in the attention very strongly but to me Sarah always seem to blunder her way into the papers and then get surprised when she got bad press.

I wonder if Sarah's red hair has anything to do with it. Every one that I've ever spoken to with red hair has said that they got a lot of attention as a child and learned how to brazen through it because the attention was not going away. I am of a physical nature that I can be discreet and deflect attention away from myself with success - I'm small with not very distinct features. But if I were big with red hair, things might look different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom