A Wife for Prince Andrew, Duke of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Sarah choose to go back to her maiden name if she wanted?

She could, of course. But why would she ever? It's reaped millions of dollars for her - quite literally, millions. Her whole identity is wrapped up in clinging to the "Duchess of York" label.

I think she'd sooner eat rat poison or drink tea with ground glass, than go back to being Sarah mere Ferguson.

Ok, this is starting to make sense to me. It reminds me of the Mary, Queen of Scots situation. I get the titles now, but why will Sarah "always" be the Duchess of York unless she remarries. Shouldn't that title be taken away when she divorces the Duke of York?

Look at it this way.

Jane Jones married John Smith. They get married so Jane becames Mrs Jane Smith - taking her husband's name etc. They then divorce and she is able to still call herself Mrs Jane Smith.

Sarah is no different. She was married to Andrew and until she remarries is entitled to use that married form of her name that also shows that she is divorced - Sarah, Duchess of York (which is why I get frustrated and upset when people use that styling for Camilla and Sophie).

Sarah's title is that of a Divorced Peeress..so she is Sarah, Duchess of York.

If Andrew remarries his wife would be HRH The Duchess of York.

Sarah still uses the name "The Duchess of York" on her business cards. One was printed in a paper when the "Cash for access"-scandal broke and there it said: "The Duchess of York", not "Sarah, Duchess of York".

This is what I found on google:

http://www.anatzarev.com/news/2010/02/sarah-ferguson-duchess-of-york-visits-the-ana-tzarev-gallery

in it, she signs Sarah, The Duchess of York. It seems she does that on a regular basis:

http://www.harestyling.com/site/wp-content/uploads/Sarah-Ferguson-Duchess-of-York-500x630.jpg

I think it's strange - according to protocoll, Sarah couldn't use her first name as long as she was Andrews wife: she was The Princess Andrew, Duchess of York or HRH The Duchess of York. Now that she is divorced, she combines her first name Sarah with "The Duchess of York" as if she, like her daughters, was a Royal in her own right...

Last edited:
I don't believe they will ever remarry. I think Prince Andrew cares for Sarah (mother of his children and all that) but I really don't believe he is IN love with her anymore. Sadly, because of Sarah's emotional problems, she was unable to build a strong, happy union with him. I think it is more Sarah than Andrew hanging onto this relationship. I would not want someone like that hanging onto me the rest of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say let bygones be bygones. If Andrew has forgiven her...does it matter what the rest of us think. And not to bring up the Camillla situation again...but if she can be accepted into the fold...why can't Sarah? Or is forgiveness, committing adultrey, and making a mistake only available for a few?

Alright - Ms. Feguson as we all know, has embarrassed herself and the Royals for the last 20 years. I personally believe she has serious emotional problems. The Queen I think was at a point where she was going to let bygones be bygones when Sarah made another mistake with trying to sell access to her husband. She has made lots of money in the last 15 years - I think the diet company was paying her a million dollars a year. Give me a break! Also, when she appears on the Oprah special in the next couple of weeks, Dr. Phil is going to confront her about possible substance abuse problems. I had an alcoholic father and had to spend the first 20 years of my life with a parent who abused alcohol and it was hell. I could not live again with someone who had similiar problems. There seems to be a selfish quality to these people. But anyway, I read once that once you have crossed the Queen, you are in big trouble. So I cannot see Andrew and Sarah getting back together. I think he has some type of affection for her as she is the mother of his children but that is all. And Camilla has never done anything inappropriate in all these years so I think that it is a totally different situation.

Last edited:
Plus, Camilla wasn't married to Prince Charles once and divorced from him. She's also never given an interview about her life in the Royal Family or caught in a "sting."

And Camilla has never done anything inappropriate in all these years so I think that it is a totally different situation.

I don't believe they will ever remarry. I think Prince Andrew cares for Sarah (mother of his children and all that) but I really don't believe he is IN love with her anymore. Sadly, because of Sarah's emotional problems, she was unable to build a strong, happy union with him. I think it is more Sarah than Andrew hanging onto this relationship. I would not want someone like that hanging onto me the rest of my life.

I have the same point of view although unpopular but real. I understand letting the past go. However if a person keeps dragging you thru the mud it wears you out. Athough you may may love & want the best for someone they can still wear you out. At that point for your preservation you need to walk away. For P.A.'s sake I hope he finally has and meets someone that he can share his life with and not live in a " what the hell is she gonna do next" mode.

Plus, Camilla wasn't married to Prince Charles once and divorced from him. She's also never given an interview about her life in the Royal Family or caught in a "sting."

I think Camilla has managed to overcome much of the hostility generated by their affair, simply by being quietly supportive of Charles, and taking pains to establish a good relationship with his sons and the rest of the RF. She's kept things low-key, not flaunting her sudden elevation in status, not being greedy and grasping. So, she has it all.

Fergie should take a leaf from her book; it is possible to live down scandals if you go about it the right way, and don't keep adding fuel to the flames.

I don't think Sarah can just go quietly. She hasn't been quiet for 20 years. I think Andrew is happily single and that is why he hasn't remarried. If he seriously wanted to remarry I think he would have done so by now.

I don't think Sarah can just go quietly. She hasn't been quiet for 20 years. I think Andrew is happily single and that is why he hasn't remarried. If he seriously wanted to remarry I think he would have done so by now.
Once you have been married and had your children the need to remarry after a divorce is not as urgent. P. Andrew seems quite content so getting married again is perhaps not very important.

I remember him saying during an interview that he "wasn't good at marriage." So perhaps he just doesn't want to take that chance again.

P. Andrew seems quite content so getting married again is perhaps not very important.

I dunno, he was pretty hot on Angie Everhart and that blonde finacier who decided not to get serious with him.

I was watching a documentary 'The Royal Family at Work' & there was a close-up of the Duke of York's left hand -- he was (at the time of the filming, 2007 (I think)) still wearing his wedding band. It was quite visible behind his signet ring on his pinkie.

So ... I think I must agree with those he think he will never marry another. I find it a bit telling (&, quite frankly, odd) that a divorced man would wear his wedding band after so many years.
& yes, I know Charles did the same until his engagement to Camilla -- I thought that a bit odd too.

Anyway, I was really struck by the fact of him still wearing the band a good 10 years after the divorce.

Doesn't Sarah wear hers too?

Maybe it's some sort of rebellious agreement they made between themselves.

If Andrew ever remarries anyone, it will be his first wife. But I'd be surprised if he ever got married again.

I think it's best a remarriage doesn't happen at all. When Fergie was an "HRH" she was all over hte place making a huge mess of herself, but also dragging the RF along as well. Without the "HRH," she can only ruin herself and she is actually under more constraints because she has to be somewhat careful because she needs to make a living. She doesn't have HM to fall back on to pay her debts, she has to do it herself. The courtiers dont' have to clean up her messes, they don't have to worry about her image, and Andrew isn't going ot run the risk of a laughingstock. She's done so much damage and I think that at some point, in the future, she's going to do something that will be even worse.

Her scandals are getting worse and worse and worse and the quotes from her new book shows she's comepletely slipping out of reality and I think the next scandal will be historical in proportion. He might be unable to make nice friends if he has his ex hanging around all the time. Successful women who would make good consorts do not want a mooching ex hanging around where they are living.

I think it's best a remarriage doesn't happen at all. When Fergie was an "HRH" she was all over hte place making a huge mess of herself, but also dragging the RF along as well. Without the "HRH," she can only ruin herself and she is actually under more constraints because she has to be somewhat careful because she needs to make a living. She doesn't have HM to fall back on to pay her debts, she has to do it herself. The courtiers dont' have to clean up her messes, they don't have to worry about her image, and Andrew isn't going ot run the risk of a laughingstock. She's done so much damage and I think that at some point, in the future, she's going to do something that will be even worse.

Her scandals are getting worse and worse and worse and the quotes from her new book shows she's comepletely slipping out of reality and I think the next scandal will be historical in proportion. He might be unable to make nice friends if he has his ex hanging around all the time. Successful women who would make good consorts do not want a mooching ex hanging around where they are living.

You have outlined all the reasons why the RF need to bring her back in from the cold - so they can have a greater control over what she does, where she goes, with whom she consorts etc.

Whether that is through re-marriage or some other way I don't know but I do think that the RF needs to control her for the sake of Andrew and the girls - particularly the girls who are just entering their adult years - and in the case of Beatrice probably going to be looking for jobs in the next for months.

Yes, ILuvBertie, but if remarriage is not to be an option (Queen would be against), then Fergie ought to be made to sign a contract or agreement of some sort.

She is a loose cannon and could potentially cause even more (!) huge embarassment to the BRF.

Yes, ILuvBertie, but if remarriage is not to be an option (Queen would be against), then Fergie ought to be made to sign a contract or agreement of some sort.

She is a loose cannon and could potentially cause even more (!) huge embarassment to the BRF.

We don't actually know if the Queen would be against a remarriage as as far as we know she hasn't been asked. Another interesting question would be even if she had to give consent to a remarriage - as she has given her consent to a marriage between Sarah and Andrew - in 1986. The RMA doesn't mention, or deal with the situation of a divorced couple needing consent for a remarriage.

We know Andrew would need the consent of the monarch to marry someone else but does he really need it to remarry the woman who was approved in 1986????

As for a contract for Sarah - difficult to do when she isn't part of the family.

Doesn't Sarah wear hers too?

Maybe it's some sort of rebellious agreement they made between themselves.

If Andrew ever remarries anyone, it will be his first wife. But I'd be surprised if he ever got married again.

I'm not even sure that Sarah would consider remarrying back into the BRF. She probably remembers all too well the constraints and reins that were put on her the first time around and would run screaming from a remarriage. The way she sees she has things now is perfect. She gets to play "Duchess", do whatever she pleases and knows she has Andrew and the girls beside her every step of the way. Its the modern fairy tale as Sarah herself put it. Perhaps also what she meant by being divorced to each other and not divorced from each other.

As for Andrew and other possible relationships. I think anyone that has any inkling of the connection between Andrew and Sarah since the divorce is bound to be smart enough to see that there would be three in the marriage should they marry Andrew and look elsewhere for a life partner.

I agree. Sarah has things the way she likes them. She lives in a Royal house lives like a Royal but has no constraints. She is getting her cake and eating it too. Sarah likes the privilages that comes with the title but not the duty involved. Even when she was in the family she caused trouble. Freebie Fergie, her spending, leaving her daughter for a long time to follow Andrew around for a few months when she was so young, selling pictures to Hello, then the affairs. I doubt she would ever be welcomed back into the fold by the Queen and Senior Royals. The DofE doesn't like her at all and there have been several stories of him taking her bad behaviour out on Andrew and the girls. Maybe when they are gone but then he would probably need to Charles to approve it and I'm not so sure she is well liked there either. At the moment she has no need Andrew is paying her way like any husband would and lets her do what she wants it's even better then being married. I don't see any women wanting to be serious with Andrew with Sarah around and with everything she has said.

You make a good point Meadow - why would another woman want to be involved with Prince Andrew when in the background is the ex wife and the mother of his children. It would be a bit like "there were three in this marriage" scenario again.

Prince Andrew is made to look very weak and ineffective with Fergie hanging around after so long. He doesn't seem to do too much and his life seems to have been wasted by a silly marriage choice.

Of course Sarah Ferguson would do all in her power to ensure that Andrew did not marry again,if he did she would be seriously undermined and she wouldn't like that at all.

When you think about it,Sarah has been very clever and is using everyone around her. Perhaps we should show no interest in her at all and she may have to face up to her problems and her shortcomings.

Prince Andrew is made to look very weak and ineffective with Fergie hanging around after so long. He doesn't seem to do too much and his life seems to have been wasted by a silly marriage choice.

It is a pity that a lot of people don't actually read the Court Circular. Andrew is one of the hardest working members of the family. All one has to do is count the number of engagements he does - for instance in the last week alone he has done 14 engagements. That is normal for him.

He might work like a fiend, but he's being weak in not throwing Sarah out and getting on wiht his life. She's an albatross and put frankly each time she messes up, there is a call to get rid of the entire RF. Her relationship with Andrew is where she gets all the benefits and none of the responsibilities. If she were to be tossed out and left to her own devices I am more than sure that she would end up too busy getting a home and income and be unable to make a mess. Or if she ends up messing up her life, it will be her life and her life only. Time to cut the strings.

He might work like a fiend, but he's being weak in not throwing Sarah out and getting on wiht his life. She's an albatross and put frankly each time she messes up, there is a call to get rid of the entire RF. Her relationship with Andrew is where she gets all the benefits and none of the responsibilities. If she were to be tossed out and left to her own devices, I am more than sure that she would end up too busy getting a home and income and be unable to make a mess. Or if she ends up messing up her life, it will be her life and her life only. Time to cut the strings.

It has been said over and over again - she has no means of making money that doesn't involve publicity. She has no skills and no work history.

If Andrew cuts her loose then she will have no where to go - unless she ends up living with Beatrice at St James' Palace (she can't live with Eugenie yet as Eugenie lives in a dormitory type on campus when not living at White Lodge).

Her life is tied to the royal family whether you and others like it or not - she is the mother of 5th and 6th in line to the throne and simply can't be left to 'rot'. You think a Sarah scandal is bad but imagine the damage to the prestige of the monarchy if she was to be forced to live on the streets - destitute - imagine the headlines 'heartless royal family lets princesses mother rot'.

There are a lot of men and women who have cut out dysfunctional family members and left them to fend for themselves. Families cut out criminals, alcoholics, they cut out chaotic personalities, they cut out people who are out of control and messing up their own lives by proxy.

Each scandal is getting worse and worse and worse and she isnt' facing real consequences. Something will come up next, something worse, just you wait. If she isn't going to experience the serious repercussions of her actions, she will do something a lot worse and I am more than sure that it may well cross over into the realm of illegal. At some point, she's going to go too far (not that she hasn't already).

Something will come up next, something worse, just you wait. If she isn't going to experience the serious repercussions of her actions, she will do something a lot worse and I am more than sure that it may well cross over into the realm of illegal. At some point, she's going to go too far (not that she hasn't already).

I've thought about this too - that somewhere down the road, Sarah is going to commit a crime punishable by law - something that she can't deny away or blame on entrapment - something that even Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie can't ignore. She really is running straight for disaster. But I think it's a good thing, in the long run, for Sarah to have a fall so dramatic that she can't recover for a long, long time.

I loathe the way Sarah's behaving right now and I don't buy the victimhood story that she's selling, but I still like Sarah. But I think Sarah can be a very headstrong and single-minded person - this can be a great trait, or a terrible one. At the moment, she is determined to keep living a royal life....which is why I think eventually, we'll hear of a much bigger scandal. When you're pursuing a goal at all costs, your conscience can go numb. She got away with the cash-for-access scandal without going bankrupt, without losing Andrew's support, so the next time Sarah needs money, what's she going to do? Probably something worse than the last time, because the last time she got away almost unscathed.

I've thought about this too - that somewhere down the road, Sarah is going to commit a crime punishable by law - something that she can't deny away or blame on entrapment - something that even Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie can't ignore. She really is running straight for disaster. But I think it's a good thing, in the long run, for Sarah to have a fall so dramatic that she can't recover for a long, long time.

She's on the border of crime with this antic and she's been heading to this point for some time. The minute she had that antic with John Bryan (right in front of her CHILDREN) and I can't imagine how it would have gone if she had stayed married to Andrew. She is going to self destruct and she is going to end up doing something horrific and the last thing the RF needs right now is to have Andrew mixed up in it. She's going to ruin the life of her daughters and Andrew needs a new wife and she needs to be moved out. Sarah is close to a massive fall. Right now she's ruining his life and he has a right to move on and live life with a nice enough woman. There are more than enough of them out there.

He might work like a fiend, but he's being weak in not throwing Sarah out and getting on wiht his life. She's an albatross and put frankly each time she messes up, there is a call to get rid of the entire RF. Her relationship with Andrew is where she gets all the benefits and none of the responsibilities. If she were to be tossed out and left to her own devices I am more than sure that she would end up too busy getting a home and income and be unable to make a mess. Or if she ends up messing up her life, it will be her life and her life only. Time to cut the strings.

I really don't think staying at Royal Lodge (where Andrew lets her have a room/rooms to use when she's in the area) is all everything people are cracking it up to be. Its *not* like they are both living as a married couple (and if they were, its really none of our business I think). Even in the past when she was renting a home, it was practically next door to Andrew. They remain close but I don't think that Andrew is floating her boat where she wants to steer it. After the Cash for Access sting, he did have his financial people look into her debts in the UK and resolved some of those. Some I believe were bills run up around Royal Lodge (chefs, postage, transport etc). For all we know, she's on a tight rein of what she can and cannot do while at Royal Lodge. Andrew doesn't talk about it and he probably never will. Its their business. I don't really think that Sarah is there all that much but it really did surprise me that part of Finding Sarah was filmed there.

Right now I think Sarah's main focus is on the US and won't be surprised one bit if in the near future she acquires a permanent residence somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom