A Wedding Dress for Princess Beatrice - Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Welcome to the Princess Beatrice of York Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings Thread.

Please use this thread to discuss Beatrice's dress.
If you wish to discuss the tiara and jewels you think she may wear, a 'Wedding Tiara/Jewelry Suggestions and Musings' thread will be live shortly.​

Last edited:
Hi Jess Rulz,
You might want to look at the third sentence in the description and change it to "Beatrice."

Thank you for opening this thread.

For Beatrice I a would expect an ivory A line gown with a sweetheart neckline, lace bodice and short sleeves. Some beading and crystals would decorate throughout the bodice.

Last edited:
The length of sleeves would depend I suppose on what time of the year the couple are getting married. Might be a bit coolish in April or even May. Is lace still in a lot for wedding gowns? I just think it's a very scratchy fabric, but then I'm not wearing it! She may use the same designer as her sister.

In the name of all that is holy, I want Beatrice to knock it out of the park, like her sister did.

3/4 length sleeves, the most fitted waist she can handle, A-line skirt, a semi-sweetheart or high neckline, hair half up/down and a beautiful veil.

Peach and pink flowers.

I want BADLY for Beatrice hit a home room on her wedding day too!

Fitted tight heavily embroidered bodice and an enormous bouffant skirt...perhaps with Grace Kelly's bell shape...and a spectacular long glittering train. Sheer gossamer veil..very long a la the Duchess of Sussex.

Her best feature is her hair...so pulled off her face, high at the crown, and loose at the back would be beautiful....BUT NO GHASTLY CORKSCREW CURLS PLEASE!!

I just hope whatever she wears flatters both her figure and her coloring.

In fact, the color of Sarah's 1986 bridal gown would look perfect on Beatrice.;)

Last edited:
I want BADLY for Beatrice hit a home room on her wedding day too!

Fitted tight heavily embroidered bodice and an enormous bouffant skirt...perhaps with Grace Kelly's bell shape...and a spectacular long glittering train. Sheer gossamer veil..very long a la the Duchess of Sussex.

Her best feature is her hair...so pulled off her face, high at the crown, and loose at the back would be beautiful....BUT NO GHASTLY CORKSCREW CURLS PLEASE!!

I just hope whatever she wears flatters both her figure and her coloring.

In fact, the color of Sarah's 1986 bridal gown would look perfect on Beatrice.;)

Yes, the colour of Sarah's wedding dress would be perfect for Beatrice. And you've described how she should do her hair perfectly. No corkscrew curls. Soft, but precise, waves only.

They've got to be careful about the shape of the skirt - I wouldn't go with the Grace Kelly bell shape - it would emphasize her hips. I would veer towards how Princess Margaret's dress was - lots of volume but flowing far away from the body.

I predict that, like her sister, Beatrice will wear no veil.

Oh I hope she does. Eugenie is a different personality and altogether different. For all she is older, she has always seemed the more feminine one rather than Eugenie's first statement gown and 'I am woman, hear me roar

I too think that she will wear a veil. She seem more romantic in her dress style, and I think she will go for the traditional veil. Maybe she'll do without the blusher, but I don't really think so.

I ran across this...and I think a variation of this would look great on Beatrice in a off white or cream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I hope she does. Eugenie is a different personality and altogether different. For all she is older, she has always seemed the more feminine one rather than Eugenie's first statement gown and 'I am woman, hear me roar

I agree. Eugenie deliberately wore no veil and featured a very low back so that she could showcase her scoliosis scar.

I don't believe Beatrice has any such statement to make, and I would really love to see her in a dazzling veil...blusher optional.;)

I believe a veil would not have fitted Eugenie anyway, even if she would not have had a scar and the gown to match.

As for Beatrice, we'll see.

I agree. Eugenie deliberately wore no veil and featured a very low back so that she could showcase her scoliosis scar.

I don't believe Beatrice has any such statement to make, and I would really love to see her in a dazzling veil...blusher optional.;)

I still don't understand why she felt the need to show her scar. She had an operation and has a scar, so what? Why would you want to go out of your way to show it off on your wedding day? Lots of people have scars from having operations, I still don't get it.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I think that B will have a veil.

Last edited:
This is the part I like when everyone looks for a gown for the bride, posts it and tells why they like or do not like it...then we wait and see what the Princess really wears!

I do think a veil will be worn...the length will depend on where they are married.

Happy times

I still don't understand why she felt the need to show her scar. She had an operation and has a scar, so what? Why would you want to go out of your way to show it off on your wedding day? Lots of people have scars from having operations, I still don't get it.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I think that B will have a veil.

Maybe "so what" to you, but there are (still) many people out there who are ashamed of scars for whatever reason and think that they are ugly. Eugenie wanted to show that a scar is nothing to be ashamed of, as she has said herself.

As for Beatrice's dress, I hope for her, similar to what MARG said, that she will also knock it out of the park. With or without veil.

Last edited:
What do you think of Princess Beatrice using Carlie, an Italian bridal lace with leaf detail for her wedding dress?

:previous: That lace is very pretty. I can't wait to see all of the special touches and how the happy couple end up planning their wedding day, venue, etc.

I wish Bea & Edo all the best. The engagement ring is just so beautiful and so suited to Beatrice. It's obvious how much thought and care went into Edo creating the design. As we can tell from Edoardo's skill at property development and architectural design & interiors, he's very talented and accomplished.

The romance of it all is to-die-for. The heartfelt sentiment in Edo's engagement post is swoon-worthy:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B23wOreghd7/

Regarding earlier comments, IMO, there should never be any bad press for anyone's wedding. I know that's wishing for a lot, but happy occasions like weddings should be about positive celebration and showing respect for the love between two people.

Last edited:
I really hope Beatrice skips the blusher.
I never liked them and that way she'd skip that awkward moment when it has to be folded back.

I'm not sure about the neckline or the high cinched waist on this dress, but I think the sleeves are a lovely and unique touch:

https://www.jjshouse.com/A-Line-Pri...g-Dress-With-Lace-Beading-002026089-g26089/?u

The below is really not suited for Beatrice, but again I like the styling of the sleeves, plus the generous off-the-shoulder bateau neckline is daring:
https://www.jjshouse.com/Sheath-Col...n-Lace-Wedding-Dress-002084711-g84711?pos=sim

This one is pretty, but maybe more suited to an after-party:
https://www.brides.com/thmb/mvLQiFh..._7_curve-5e6959012fdf4e6eb0a5065f3ed7d57c.jpg

I like this styling, but it would have to have sleeves and a more demure neckline:
https://www.brides.com/thmb/YJQnmIE...eryBride-da498b74c5944d4b90cb9a210426084a.jpg

This is pretty, but again sleeves are needed, a more demure neckline, and a train. This is also maybe more suited for an after-party:
https://www.brides.com/thmb/2mqRgsh..._3_curve-8468c118186749bcafc6e87f43795abc.jpg

Again sleeves and a more demure neckline are needed, but this is another pretty design:
https://www.brides.com/thmb/kQXD-UV...lus-Main-3aabb434b5a140c180c8ea6f94195d3e.jpg

I like this mermaid style:
https://www.brides.com/thmb/bjb_yJY...5_3212-1-28d5ab4a443a4f27953b84442217d40d.jpg

This one needs sleeves and a demure neckline:
https://www.brides.com/thmb/_E2C6a1...-A1-EBEB-0bb10130c5c9463fad59d3bdc6f72519.jpg

This one has a full, layered bottom half. It's a pretty design, but it needs sleeves as well:
https://www.brides.com/thmb/mf_Bxzx...2019-007-5a802b6ed82e4772be7a2bc2a8a74bba.jpg

Last edited:
Wedding dresses with long sleeves:

https://www.brides.com/gallery/wedding-dresses-long-sleeves-trends-2013-fall

I like #2 Tadashi Shoji Esmaralda

#3 Azazie Marlin BG, is similar to Meghan's wedding dress

#16 Vera Wang Bell Sleeves Lace

#24 Watters Lucretia (with a less revealing top design, this is pretty)

#30 Muse by Berta... Similar to 24, but longer sleeves and a plunging back

#33 Allure Bridals -- a nice design

#34 Monique Lhuillier Bliss -- a very pretty design, but top is too revealing

#35 Monique Lhuillier Albertine -- very pretty, but with a less plunging neckline

#42 Reem Acra seems inspired by Meghan's wedding dress, but this scoop neckline is too plain with the dress' styling. Meghan's veil enhanced the classic lines of her dress

#43 Rebecca Ingram Rina -- very pretty, but without the too revealing neckline

#46 Georges Hobeika Look 6 Classically pretty, but without the plunging neckline

#57 Savannah Miller Gwendolyn (also inspired by Meghan's wedding dress)

#60 Elizabeth Fillmore Water Lily -- very pretty, but maybe not for Beatrice

#62 Stella McCartney -- an interesting back, but not for Beatrice

#63 Zuhair Murad Raphaelle -- very pretty but shoulders are too bared

#67 Isabelle Armstrong Louise -- another Meghan wedding dress inspired design

At the bottom of the page, there's a link to halter-design wedding dresses inspired by Meghan's Stella McCartney after-party dress.

My opinion is that Beatrice should stay far away from anything clingy or mermaid style. She should also avoid the column.

A classic A line skirt with a fitted bodice is what would work with her height and body type.

ETA: Reem Acra was designing gorgeous off the shoulder column style gowns LONG before Meghan was heard of. She designed Star Jones dress for her first wedding in 2006.

Beatrice should seek inspiration from Pronovias or Elie Saab, whose design she wore in the past to magnificent effect.

Last edited:
A classic A line skirt with a fitted bodice is what would work with her height and body type.

I agree.
She should also avoid the off-the-shoulder styles.
I think she shouldn't choose anything too extreme but stick to a classic style.

I think she would look lovely in this style:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.
She should also avoid the off-the-shoulder styles.
I think she shouldn't choose anything too extreme but stick to a classic style.

Considering the Anglican church tradition of covered shoulders, I dont think that an off the shoulder would be in consideration for her. With her grandmother in attendance dont see her trying to break that rule.

Beatrice, beyond her bizarre headgear, does stick to pretty classic lines. I dont think she will be daring on her wedding day.

Roksanda or Mary Katrantzou are being predicted by some. Based mainly on she has worn them and they are British based.

Roksanda did a few 'bridal' pieces for a runway but looked more like older second time bride look. Not holding my breath on trusting Roksanda to do a big time bridal dress. Mary has branched out recently.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/mary-katrantzou-wedding-dress

I hope like Eugenie, Beatrice branches out in designers and works with someone who designs her a gown which will just wow us on the big day.

Yes, I totally agree with you Moonmaiden. I just wanted to get some kind of conversation going here, just for fun. I was not even trying to suggest Meghan's dress style for Beatrice, not at all. I just noticed some of the styles were similar to Meghan's dress. And yes, the classic lines and style of Meghan's dress, with the off-shoulder boatneck are most definitely not new. Princess Angela of Liechtenstein designed for her own wedding a very similar dress to the one Meghan wore by Givenchy. It's a classic throwback to a style Audrey Hepburn wore, and Givenchy himself unsurprisingly was Audrey's designer.

I just highlighted dresses that I think are pretty, and I tried to point out where I don't think most of them suit Beatrice. I completely agree with your assessment that mermaid is not the right style for Beatrice. You are right about the A-line or full skirt with a fitted bodice. Eugenie had excellent advice and ended up with two absolutely gorgeous dresses, and I'm hoping the same for Beatrice. She has such lovely coloring and striking features, which are not always enhanced by her clothing choices. So, I'm hoping for her that she settles on finding the right advice from the right designers who understand how to enhance her best features. No matter anyone's shape, weight, or body structure, wearing the right clothing styles and colors makes all the difference in how one looks and feels. All women should feel beautiful and comfortable on their wedding day!

I hope this continues to be a fun and exciting time for Beatrice during which she can simply enjoy exploring her and Edo's preferences and make choices that suit them for their special day. I really wish their wedding will be televised, but I'm beginning to think it may not be.

I like the dress style that Beatrice wore for Eugenie's wedding, so maybe it was by one of the designers posters are referencing. Beatrice is bound to end up losing weight, as most brides do, so that has to be taken into account too when settling on a style, and in the making and fitting of the dress.

Last edited:
Of course, off-shoulder is not a consideration for royal wedding dresses. That's one of the reason's why Meghan's halter-style dress was made for the after-party. It would probably have been Meghan's go-to style for a more informal, intimate wedding without all the trappings, pomp and circumstance, and ancient traditions involved with a royal wedding.

Among the larger population, as we know, off-shoulder or strapless dresses continue to be popular. Personally, such styles are not my preference at all. I kept mentioning the ways the dresses I highlighted would need adjusting, or else wouldn't be at all suitable.

I haven't been able to find a site with more suitable styles in any case.

Of course, off-shoulder is not a consideration for royal wedding dresses. That's one of the reason's why Meghan's halter-style dress was made for the after-party. It would probably have been Meghan's go-to style for a more informal, intimate wedding without all the trappings, pomp and circumstance, and ancient traditions involved with a royal wedding.

Among the larger population, as we know, off-shoulder or strapless dresses continue to be popular. Personally, such styles are not my preference at all. I kept mentioning the ways the dresses I highlighted would need adjusting, or else wouldn't be at all suitable.

I haven't been able to find a site with more suitable styles in any case.

Or it may not have been Meghan's go to for a private wedding.

That is the good thing about having the second wedding dress. Most brides choose something radically different then their ceremony dress. Its meant to be a party dress, something to have fun and dance in. Still enough tradition that its a 'wedding dress' but usually a bit more spirited and fun.

Royal brides are lucky, they have the budget to splash out on two amazing dresses. Its common now among common brides, but not everyone has that kind of money.

I stick to looking at gowns whose shoulders are already covered. Altering the dress to change shoulders and neck makes a completely different dress all together. Hard to imagine what you are actually picturing.

I'm not picturing anything. As I already pointed out, I'm simply trying to generate some fun discussion, not contention. Weddings are a celebratory time, and the lead-up should involve lighthearted conversation and laid-back dialogue.

I don't pretend to be that knowledgeable about current fashion or about wedding dresses. I've lived for awhile, so I do have some cultural perspectives, and I have attended a few weddings, but never a royal wedding. ;) I tried to find sites where there might be dresses suitable for Beatrice, but I was having a hard time, so I settled on some of the dresses I thought were pretty that might work with a number of adjustments.

I'm glad you are able to 'stick to looking at gowns whose shoulders are already covered.' :lol: That didn't happen for us in the lead-up to Meghan's wedding. I mean it just depends where we are able to find pictures and ideas. I'm not a designer, nor do I have designer friends. If you have a better idea of where to go to find only Beatrice-appropriate wedding dress designs with exclusively covered shoulders, please do share!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom