Zara Phillips makes the 2012 Great Britain Olympic Team

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic! :clap:
I'll wait till the official announcement, but this appears to be pretty official.

She must be very proud to take part at the Olympics in her own country.

Artemisia said:
Fantastic! :clap:
I'll wait till the official announcement, but this appears to be pretty official.

Yea it's being picked up everywhere and the selectors did have their final meeting already so it's not surprising the story leaked.

I think having a 'royal' in the GB squad will be great for everyone. I suspect there'll be one or two of the BRF turning up to see her compete at the Games. Didn't the whole family basically decamp to Montreal when Anne competed?

Team Great Britain just congratulated Zara and the rest of the team on Twitter, so I'll take that as official confirmation.

This is fantastic news for Zara after missing out on the last two Summer Olympics.

Wonderful for Zara!

What wonderful news! I'll definitely be rooting for Zara, it's always nice to have a royal at the Olympics.

I think having a 'royal' in the GB squad will be great for everyone. I suspect there'll be one or two of the BRF turning up to see her compete at the Games. Didn't the whole family basically decamp to Montreal when Anne competed?

Yes - The Queen of course went to Open the games and Philip accompanied her along with Andrew who was about to go to school in Canada afterwards. They had also been to the 200th anniversary of American Independence.

Anne of course went across with the Olympic Team while Charles was due to fly out after all the celebrations in the US. He couldn't fly out with his parents as the heir isn't allowed to fly with the monarch. Edward wasn't due to go at all and the story goes that he went to Charles and begged, demanded, put on a tantrum or something and convinced Charles to take him, Edward, along with him, Charles so that the youngest son could see his big sister compete.

As a result they were all there to see her fall. Her husband was there because he was the reserve on the team and in those days only 4 competed whereas today all 5 compete. Mark, of course competed twice - 1972 and 1988 winning medals both times.

Last edited:
Team Great Britain just congratulated Zara and the rest of the team on Twitter, so I'll take that as official confirmation.

This is fantastic news for Zara after missing out on the last two Summer Olympics.
Thanks for the update, Thena! :flowers:
Zara must be absolutely thrilled right now.
To make it into an Olympic team is a huge achievement, but to manage that when the games are in your own country - that's truly once-in-a-life opportunity.

Last edited:
What excellent news, I am very happy for Zara. I can't wait to see her compete and see the pride in her mother and grandmother's face. :)

Wonderful news , congrats Zara :clap: :rose2:

Although I'm going to be in England during the Olympics I won't be able to see any competition. At least I had the opportunity in 1973 to see Zara's mother, Princess Anne, compete at Badminton. It was a great day and is still a wonderful memory.

Congratulations to Zara!

Zara Phillips makes the 2012 Great Britian Olympic Team

What a fantastic achievement!

Congrats to Zara!

Last edited:
Congrats to Zara!! How exciting!

I am so happy for Zara she has been trying for so long and finally it has worked out for her. I bet her mum and dad are just so proud too and of course the whole family. I bet we will be seeing some Royals around when her events are on!

Congratulations to Zara on such a great achievement :clap:. She must be ecstatic to be competing on home soil and during such a special year for the whole nation. Well done :britflag: :fireworks:!

I am so happy for Zara that she could join this time. I hope all goes well and I do hope she does win.

Is Mark Phillips not the coach of the US Olympic Equestrian team? So he could essentially be working to help those competitors beat his daughter. Might be a bit odd for him.

EIIR said:
Is Mark Phillips not the coach of the US Olympic Equestrian team? So he could essentially be working to help those competitors beat his daughter. Might be a bit odd for him.

Didn't he get kicked off for dating a player?

Didn't he get kicked off for dating a player?

I'm not sure. I know some people said it would bring his position as coach into question but I hadn't heard if he had actually been removed from the job.

EIIR said:
I'm not sure. I know some people said it would bring his position as coach into question but I hadn't heard if he had actually been removed from the job.

He hasn't been. He's still the chef d'equipe for the U.S. team.

He's retiring after the Olympics though.

Congrats to Zara!!!!! :clap:She certainly deserves it!!!! She has worked hard to achieve her dream, I wish her a lot of luck!:flowers::britflag:

Really amazing for Zara, congratulations to her :flowers:
It must be really big for Anne too, to get to see her daughter compete in the Olympics just like she did herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom