Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence News and Information: October 2005-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He rode in the carriage with Princess Anne during the Order of the Garter. Looking very comfortable. No indication of any tension in the relationship.

Last edited:
He rode in the carriage with Princess Anne during the trooping of the colours. Looking very comfortable. No indication of any tension in the relationship.

Which carriage was this? Anna rode on horseback during the trooping the colour.

crm2317

Thanks for pointing my error. Made the correction. It was Order of the Garter.

I noticed that too. I remember seeing a pic with Anne, Andrew PB and just the left side of Tim's arm. :lol:

marine2109,
Thanks for the link to the Hello article. Last pics I saw of Anne's hair down were from the early 1970s.

Seem the hair down is personal and the hair up is business.

Tim has a twinkle in his eye.

#4 is a bit wrong but hey...

Last edited:
Tim Laurence attended the last Post cermony at the Menin Gate Memorial in Ieper, Belgium.
Het spoke the exhortation from the poem "For the Fallen".

Clip (around 30:35)

I had the pleasure of attending that event last month and would advise anyone who gets the chance to do so as it is a moving event.

It is also sombre to be surrounded by all those names of men who died in WWI and who have no known grave (55,000).

At least two names on there now have known graves due to their bodies being found a few years ago and DNA testing proving who they were. When the panels with their names on them have to be replaced, I was told, that the new panels won't have their names on them as they are now buried in the nearby Tyne Cot Cemetery.

Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence attended the opening night of the Cirque du Soleil's production of Kooza at the Royal Albert Hall in London, on 8th January. Photograph in this week's Hello.

Hardly big news, the reasoning whilst amusing is quite obvious.

CWGC Commissioner, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, visits the CWGC Chatham Naval Memorial to mark the centenary of the Battle of Jutland. He gives an overview of the battle, and its significance within the First World War-- and explains why he thinks it is important that we mark this poignant anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zBOyfY2G_wU#t=17

:previous: That was lovely. Thanks for sharing, I would never have known of the video!

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Thank you for posting. A very interesting video.

Tim speaks very well.

Thanks for sharing ! He is doing well , Hope we will see him more .

Thank you eya for posting that.

It was interesting to hear about the 3 VCs awarded, esp the one to RM Major Francis Harvey, on board HMS Lion.

At home we have a marvellous poster from the Maritime Museum in Greenwich which uses a painting of HMS Lion, with the heading "only ever captured in oils". I wasn't aware of the bravery of Major Harvey - its given more meaning to the picture.

Thanks again.

Off topic, but related. I came of age during the Vietnam war and so had a predilection to ignore the contributions of warriors and the science of war.
Then I moved to an area around the Mason Dixon line, over which the US civil war was pitched. It opened my eyes.
We as a country have done an excellent job of preserving and staffing civil war battlefields. The outcome is that it is possible to learn about the nature of war, opposing POVs, extraordinary heroism, wartime leadership, wartime politics and the civil war experience of the common person.
It's a reason I love my country. My country invites me into its history and I always learn meaningful life lessons from that.
The Vice Admiral's recording struck me in the same way - breathing life into a historical moment. There is just a lot of value in that IMO.

Off topic, but related. I came of age during the Vietnam war and so had a predilection to ignore the contributions of warriors and the science of war.
Then I moved to an area around the Mason Dixon line, over which the US civil war was pitched. It opened my eyes.
We as a country have done an excellent job of preserving and staffing civil war battlefields. The outcome is that it is possible to learn about the nature of war, opposing POVs, extraordinary heroism, wartime leadership, wartime politics and the civil war experience of the common person.
It's a reason I love my country. My country invites me into its history and I always learn meaningful life lessons from that.
The Vice Admiral's recording struck me in the same way - breathing life into a historical moment. There is just a lot of value in that IMO.

Also off topic but we have a programme over here called Great Railway Journeys, led by former MP Michael Portillo. Hes done a series in the US and he is the man who finally explained the Mason Dixon line and the civil war and he did it talking to locals. should be on PBS - look out for it!

EDIT - also covered building of railways, NY, Philadephia - really interesting series of progs.

Thank you so much for sharing eya.
Very moving.

I was looking through my copy of Country Life this morning (I get them 2 months late) and came across an interview with Tim. It is mainly about the work of English Heritage in managing and restoring a variety of historic properties and was done in his capacity of Chairman of the charity. But it also has a small box that is more personal:

What is your favourite music? - Anything that moves me, from Bruch's violin concerto to the latest single by Adele.

Book? - The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara.

Who is your hero? - Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Ideal dinner guest? - Eglantine Jebb, founder of Save the Children.

That's explains why he wasn't seen at the Cenotaph. As other posters had suggested, Tim was engaged in another commitment.

Back
Top Bottom