Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence News and Information: October 2005-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its very rare to see Sir Timothy on a solo engagement :previous:

Its very rare to see Sir Timothy on a solo engagement :previous:

That is very true but I did notice he was more visible during The Princess Royals tour of Australia , at times I have wondered if she attended things on her own but recently he appears to be stepping forward.
Also outside Westminster Abbey for Philips Thanksgiving service he stopped to speak to some of the young people where as I always felt he held back for Anne to do this type of thing.

Do you think he will do a little more in public on his own to support the Queen.

Maybe he has more time to spare now he is retired (well, he retired from the Navy over 10 years ago but has taken up some other activities that are relatively flexible but might change over time) - and he is happy to help out now others have dropped out, especially since his wife is expected to continue working and not slow down for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Loved his joke about asking him to step in for Anne was like asking Harry Kane's wife to step in for him taking a penalty.

It always sounded like even after retiring from the Navy he was very bus being CEO or on the board of directors for various organisations etc, maybe he just has more time now. I think it does show the RF trust him (as they should after so long), it was noticeable as well that although not technically a "working member of the RF" he joined them all on the balcony at Trooping.

Sir Timothy has been working for the government and the BRF since he" retired". He is chairman of the English Heritage Trust and was vice-chairman of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission until June 2019 along with many other charitable causes that we seem to only occasionally hear about.

Sir Timothy has earned his medals in the military and I would say the same of those bestowed by his M-I-L. Now it seems he is backing up his wife at official engagements and even performing official engagements on his own. His latest showed his dry with and humour.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=c34d...b21wYXJpbmctd2lmZS1IYXJyeS1LYW5lLmh0bWw&ntb=1

Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence as Chairman of the English Heritage Trust hosted an evening in the circle of Stonehenge last week:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Sir Timothy has been working for the government and the BRF since he" retired". He is chairman of the English Heritage Trust and was vice-chairman of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission until June 2019 along with many other charitable causes that we seem to only occasionally hear about.

Sir Timothy has earned his medals in the military and I would say the same of those bestowed by his M-I-L. Now it seems he is backing up his wife at official engagements and even performing official engagements on his own. His latest showed his dry with and humour.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=c34d...b21wYXJpbmctd2lmZS1IYXJyeS1LYW5lLmh0bWw&ntb=1

Thank you Marg, I was wondering where the Harry Kane quote came from. Sir Tim certainly has a lovely sense of humour.

On April 27, Tim Laurence as the new President of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway Trust visited Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway:

** twitter post **

Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence has become Patron of the International Maritime Rescue Federation it was announced today:

** international-maritime-rescue.org: Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence appointed Patron of the International Maritime Rescue Federation **

Interesting that the press release refers to him as husband of the Princess Royal. I would like to see the King and Palace explicitly acknowledge him as a working royal instead of this current half-in and half-out status which is very inconsistent (he is included in otherwise working-royal-only balcony appearances and accompanies his wife on official working events, yet is excluded from the Court Circular and does not even have a biography on the royal website even though American toddler Prince Archie has one) and is at odds with the Palace's efforts over the past few years to clearly distinguish between working and non-working royals.

Interesting that the press release refers to him as husband of the Princess Royal. I would like to see the King and Palace explicitly acknowledge him as a working royal instead of this current half-in and half-out status which is very inconsistent (he is included in otherwise working-royal-only balcony appearances and accompanies his wife on official working events, yet is excluded from the Court Circular and does not even have a biography on the royal website even though American toddler Prince Archie has one) and is at odds with the Palace's efforts over the past few years to clearly distinguish between working and non-working royals.

I think we need to distinguish between work on behalf of the King and personal interests that as a retired naval man he may be happy to become involved with. I do not know what this role comes under just putting it out there for discussion.

Although it's based in the UK - it's got a Wimbledon address but a Scottish phone number, which is rather confusing, but it seems to be based somewhere in the UK! - it's an international organisation. A lot of people outside the UK may well not recognise the name "Sir Timothy Laurence", so I'd think they've added the bit about him being the Princess Royal's husband to make sure that no-one misses the prestige of the royal connection ... if that makes sense.

I think we need to distinguish between work on behalf of the King and personal interests that as a retired naval man he may be happy to become involved with. I do not know what this role comes under just putting it out there for discussion.

Although it's based in the UK - it's got a Wimbledon address but a Scottish phone number, which is rather confusing, but it seems to be based somewhere in the UK! - it's an international organisation. A lot of people outside the UK may well not recognise the name "Sir Timothy Laurence", so I'd think they've added the bit about him being the Princess Royal's husband to make sure that no-one misses the prestige of the royal connection ... if that makes sense.

Well, if it is the case that the new patronage is meant to be an entirely private personal interest for Sir Timothy, then in my opinion the organization should not be trying to leverage the prestige of the royal connection by mentioning his princess wife.

Well, if it is the case that the new patronage is meant to be an entirely private personal interest for Sir Timothy, then in my opinion the organization should not be trying to leverage the prestige of the royal connection by mentioning his princess wife.

Is it such a big deal, he isn’t really that well known or talked about it was maybe to explain who he was, at the end of the day does it really matter. He is well qualified for the role and that is what is important.
One thing you can say about Tim is that he has never played on his connections to the family.

Yesterday, October 17, Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence attended th memorial service for former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Lord Lawson at St Margaret's Church in London:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

His patrilineal ancestors came from Baghdad. His last name Laurence came from the maternal grandmother of Joseph Levy/Laurence’s first wife, Penelope Jackson from Walthamstow. Penelope’s mother wrote in her will that she wanted her daughter and son-in-law to take on the surname Laurence.

Interesting that the press release refers to him as husband of the Princess Royal. I would like to see the King and Palace explicitly acknowledge him as a working royal instead of this current half-in and half-out status which is very inconsistent

I agree. Tim needs to be acknowledged as a working royal.

I doubt Tim wants to be seen as a working royal… He is popular in royal circles because he is married to the popular Princess Anne and has been an exemplary spouse of a senior royal for the past 31 years.
But he never married her to become a Prince. And outside of UK not many people knows who he is unless you mention his wife as well…

There is a difference between being a patron (appointed by an organisation or a Charity) and being a royal patron (appointed by BP upon request by an organisation or a charity)

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie are patrons of several organisations without being royal patrons… As is the Earl of St Andrews for example

I agree. Tim needs to be acknowledged as a working royal.

He is maybe quite happy with the situation as it is. Helping out now and again if needed but no requirement for a bigger commitment. If he became a working royal he would have his own engagements but he is maybe happier to accompany his wife when his time allows it.

Tim Laurence attended the Guinness Six Nations 2024 match between Scotland and England at BT Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh today, February 24.

** Pic **

Princess Anne was scheduled to attend in her role as Patron of the Scottish Rugby Union but canceled as she had to travel to Namibia today to attend the memorial and burial of President Hage Geingob.

I wonder whether his appearance still shows up in the CC now the princess herself had to bow out but he is definitely a great supporting husband to the Princess Royal. Someone who does not seek the limelight but does support his wife and help out when needed.

Vice-Admiral Sir Tim Laurence as Chair of Trustees of the Science Museum Group attended the opening of the Adani Green Energy Gallery at the Science Museum in London today, March 26:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Nice to see Sir Timothy on another solo engagement ,he's defiantly a dutiful asset to the RF.

Back
Top Bottom