Princess Anne Interviews & Documentaries

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do respect the way Anne has managed (admittedly its taken years) to create her "working" role and still remain rather private and have her own family life that isn't all based around them being working official royals. Its as close to perfect as royal life can get IMO - a very distinct public role that is very business like vs a clearly very close and loving private family life.

I think one of the reasons why Anne managed to be private besides the fact that she is a minor royal is because she wasn't glamorous enough for the mainstream media. While she was considered beautiful and glamorous in her youth, the media might thought of her personality as "unladylike", it also didn't help that Diana and Fergie who were young and beautiful came into the royal scenes. Heck, Lady Kitty Spencer isn't a royal but there are more articles about her than Anne, so it's pretty clear that looks play a major factor here. However, knowing Anne, she probably isn't bothered by what the media are writing about her.

I loved this documentary on Anne last night. I looked at Twitter and it seemed to have largely positive reception; even with people who were normally anti-monarchy praising Anne for her hard work and natural, honest approach.

I think one of the reasons why Anne managed to be private besides the fact that she is a minor royal is because she wasn't glamorous enough for the mainstream media. While she was considered beautiful and glamorous in her youth, the media might thought of her personality as "unladylike", it also didn't help that Diana and Fergie who were young and beautiful came into the royal scenes. Heck, Lady Kitty Spencer isn't a royal but there are more articles about her than Anne, so it's pretty clear that looks play a major factor here. However, knowing Anne, she probably isn't bothered by what the media are writing about her.

Anne is not a 'minor royal'. No child of a monarch can ever be described as a 'minor royal'.

Grandchildren of a monarch are where 'minor royals' begin and not with the children of a monarch.

Anne is not a 'minor royal'. No child of a monarch can ever be described as a 'minor royal'.

Grandchildren of a monarch are where 'minor royals' begin and not with the children of a monarch.

I fully agree that children of monarchs aren't minor royals. And in her case even more so because she was the only princess in her generation.

I'm pretty sure Kitty will receive far fewer articles about her when she turns 70 than Anne does. Youth sells... While the Princess Royal will remain in the media for life because of her role within the monarchy, I don't think the same will be true for Lady Kitty.

Kitty is

Young
Attractive
Not yet boring married
Related to Princess Diana

She has just enough royal connection to make her interesting. Young single and close to royals if not Royal are always popular. Kate sells people because of clothes but younger readers not so much. People under 30 love reading about the exciting life of young royals. Travel, fashion shows, dating and parties. With the absence of any true royals in that category anymore Royal related works.

Anne is

Older
Not model beautiful
A grandmother

People aren't going to follow her for fashion. Or to see her exciting social life unless you are big into horses. And she is married.

Except for heirs, the older royals always get replaced by the next generation. Will and Harry will be by the kids when older. The only time older royals other then the heir really get attention is when there is some kind of scandal like divorce or what Andrew is in.

Anne is as exciting as the plow horse she is compared to. Amazing hard worker, great representative of her mother and country, but boring.

I agree it was good to have the current PM praise her work (I'll also refrain from political comment) but although she's only 14th in the line of succession, her elevated rank as The Princess Royal alongside a lifetime focused more on genuine service than puffing up her own importance, earns her a great deal of public respect and a rather special place within the BRF I think.

My own view is that the reason Anne is held in the high regard that she is, is because she has worked hard for the causes she supports, and has done so consistently for 50 years.

She, too, like a lot of other members of the BRF, had her trials and tribulations with the press. Her response was to ignore it all and focus on her work. In time, the press fell into line.

A real role model for the younger children of a monarch, IMO!

I really like Princess Anne long before The Crown introduced her, especially that she visited my country, the Philippines in 2015, a few years after Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) devastated the Eastern Visayas region and her work with Save the Children is highly commendable. Shame the Queen never visited my country.

And credits to that series (despite being soap opera-ish at times) for re-introducing Princess Anne to the wider audience. Fun fact: The narrator of the ITV documentary is none other than Tobias Menzies, who plays her middle-aged dad in The Crown!

Homeschooling by the Princess Royal sounds fun ;)

I watched the documentary and thought it was fabulous. I love her dry humor.

I remember the comparisons and the stories when Sarah and Diana were members of the Royal Family...she has never seeked the limelight and has always been about the work.

All that glitters isn't gold.

Since the British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows thread is closed, I would like to post here on a Channel 5 documentary, Zara and Anne: Like Mother Like Daughter. As the title suggested, it will focus on Anne and Zara's similarities in competing equestrian.
Victoria Arbiter @victoriaarbiter
#PrincessAnne & her daughter Zara both competed in the Olympics, both won BBC SPOTY & both have their HGV licenses. At 9pm tonight @channel5_tv will take a closer look at the pair in "Zara and Anne: Like Mother Like Daughter".
12:58 AM · Feb 28, 2021·Twitter Web App​

Here is the link to the video:

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching the documentary, Zara and Anne: Like Mother Like Daughter not just because Victoria Arbiter, Hugo Vickers and Katie Nicholl are contributing. I'm quite happy that the program tried to stay focus on Anne and Zara rather than constant comparison to other members of the Royal Family. Yes, there may be some occasion of comparing Zara to William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie, but they also mentioned about how close they are as cousins. The documentary does provide a great source for the similarity and closed relationship between Princess Anne and Zara Tindall.

It's also interesting how Nick Skelton (British Olympic Gold Medallist for Individual jumping at Rio) was mentioned as an indication that Equestrian career can last up to when the horse rider is in his/her 50s, unlike other sports. Some commentators suggest that Zara could be riding and competing in the future and have a long career in it. Nick Skelton retired at aged 59 on 5 April 2017, after riding since he was 18 months old and competing since the 1970s.

I would recommend this documentary if you are like me have no comprehensive/extensive (i.e. sound/basic) knowledge on Princess Anne and Zara Tindall. For those who are expert or with comprehensive understanding, the documentary could be a bit underwhelming.

A really good interview IMO, I like that Anne talks about pretty much anything. Her comments about Covid being a thief towards Philip and the picture of the Queen sitting alone were very touching I thought.

I enjoyed this interview and found the Princess Royal being unusually tender if that's the right description. I mean she's still very much Anne but when she talked of her parents you could really feel her.

What do you make of Princess Anne's comment that she does not think slimmed down monarchy is a good idea? I know that she and her brother (King Charles) are very close, so I wonder how he feels about her saying this, since it has been reported for a long time that he wants a slimmed down monarchy. Of course, that monarchy was to include Harry and Meghan, so since they stepped back, I am wondering if she is thinking someone needs to step in and fill their place to carry out the number of engagements they would have done?

What do you make of Princess Anne's comment that she does not think slimmed down monarchy is a good idea? I know that she and her brother (King Charles) are very close, so I wonder how he feels about her saying this, since it has been reported for a long time that he wants a slimmed down monarchy. Of course, that monarchy was to include Harry and Meghan, so since they stepped back, I am wondering if she is thinking someone needs to step in and fill their place to carry out the number of engagements they would have done?

I thought it was very interesting and possibly signals that the Wales children may all have roles later on, contrary to current opinion, though of course it is nearly impossible to guess at what the monarchy looks like in 15 or 20 years’ time when they would be old enough to have those discussions. I think she’s right that there were more people when those discussions were happening and now the landscape is different. Hopefully, Anne, Edward and Sophie will be willing and able to support the family for a long time.

I thought she mentioned the 'slimmed down monarchy' very tactfully. The whole interview was great, Princess Anne is a wonderful person and a credit to her parents and so supportive of the constitutional monarchy.

Though if i'm being nit-picky, I wonder what she thought about being downgraded at the end of the interview when the interviewer thanked "Your Highness" instead of "Your Royal Highness"? She probably didn't understand the distinction, but Princess Anne (and most of us on these forums) would have.

I think this way the Princess Royal's way of saying that The King has never mentioned the phrase 'slimmed-down monarchy' - it was dreamt up by the media in response to several subtle changes which have naturally occurred over the past number of years. The British monarchy naturally changes and adapts to the times, including those who are labelled 'working royals'

The part on 'slavery and the royal family' (at around 17 minutes) was an interesting bit. The princess royal seemed to suggest a lot without saying too much. What did you all make of it?

I think this way the Princess Royal's way of saying that The King has never mentioned the phrase 'slimmed-down monarchy' - it was dreamt up by the media in response to several subtle changes which have naturally occurred over the past number of years. The British monarchy naturally changes and adapts to the times, including those who are labelled 'working royals'

Well if you look at the Queens generation. She had 7 paternal cousins. 2 sons of her aunts so not titled royal. Of the other five only three were ever supposed to do royal duties full time. The two younger sons were supposed to have their own careers. So really not that many really. Then the Queen had four children and her sisters don’t do royal duties. 2 of Charles siblings so royal duties…fine. Problem comes in with William. Just him…and that is it. Now he has had the luxury of an extended phase in to royal duties. If he would like similar for his own children he needs some of his cousins to work. Or we could drastically reduce their events and keep it at Sovereign and sovereigns child and or siblings only. May monarchies do it with less people.

I agree 10% with what Anne said, it was discussed a lot when there was a larger RF (and more balcony appearances with the whole family on show) so seemed like a good idea at the time. Now it is clear the RF is pretty much down to the bare minimum if they want to carry on anything like the previous level and style of work, given anything else would suggest not needing support from someone like Anne it makes perfect sense she would say she doesn't think its good.

Anne has inherited her mother's way of saying a lot without actually saying much - all her comments are pretty uncontroversial apart from where people want to see controversy. I think that applies especially to her comments about slavery and the Royal Family IMO.

Back
Top Bottom